George Washington Class of 2017/18 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
paulinams

New

Re: George Washington Class of 2017/18

Post by paulinams » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:04 pm

Hi Everyone!

Really happy to have received an acceptance! I'm still waiting to hear back from some 13 schools (I applied to 18 :x) but I was wondering, for those dead set on matriculating at GW, what are some of the reasons why this is your top choice?

NoDayButToday

Silver

Post by NoDayButToday » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:49 am

Last edited by NoDayButToday on Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leezabee

New

Post by leezabee » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:18 pm

ZipWhenSheMoves wrote:
mec246 wrote:
ZipWhenSheMoves wrote:Anyone know of anywhere to live in DC that isn't crazy expensive? I feel like everyone always parrots the really up-scale neighborhoods (Dupont! Capitol Hill!) as if they're the only options. Do you all know where one should begin to look for more reasonably priced apartments? Presumably there's something in between the most dangerous areas and the intensely gentrified ones.
Columbia Heights, Shaw, and Petworth are great places to look.
Any thoughts on Fort Totten or Brookland?
I live in Brookland right now, and I really like it. It's a lot quieter than downtown- lots of families, mostly houses. Not really anything in the way of nightlife, but a few pretty good restaurants/take out places. They're expanding, though, and we're getting a bunch of new stores/restaurants near the Brookland metro station (Busboys and Poets!). I don't think it's the most convenient to GW- the transfer can take a while, especially at non-peak hours, and a cab ride runs about $15 between the two (for anyone also looking at Gtown, though, I'd give it a look). If you like more to do, I'd second Columbia Heights/Petworth/Shaw- those areas have a lot more nightlife and a younger crowd. Unfortunately, the area around GW is rather expensive. If I end up going, I would probably look for something in NOVA.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other Brookland/living in DC questions. I'm happy to try and help anyone planning on making the move.

Banshee

Bronze

Post by Banshee » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:59 pm

Hey everyone! Checking in!

For those of you in DC, what sites do you recommend using for apartment hunts/searches?

leezabee

New

Post by leezabee » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:26 am

XO_MissCourtney wrote:Hey everyone! Checking in!

For those of you in DC, what sites do you recommend using for apartment hunts/searches?
Craigslist, especially if you are looking for a room/share of a house or apartment. I believe the universities also have housing search websites, which could be helpful.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

UserNameHere

Bronze

Post by UserNameHere » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:29 pm

leezabee wrote:
XO_MissCourtney wrote:Hey everyone! Checking in!

Craigslist, especially if you are looking for a room/share of a house or apartment. I believe the universities also have housing search websites, which could be helpful.
Respectfully disagree. I'm living in DC now too. I started off down in Navy Yard with a roommate; now I'm living in West End in a studio. Couldn't stand the guy. I know people who landed solid roommates via Craigslist, but its crazy hard.

If you're just looking for a place and not a roommate, it's a different story. But sometimes you're better off going through the leasing agency. I can PM you some good buildings if you want.

edit: I found the Navy Yard roommate thru Craigslist. Seemed fine enough via Skype. Turned out to be anything but.

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:37 pm

Checking in, I just got the acceptance email today!

WestWingWatcher

Bronze

Post by WestWingWatcher » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:06 pm

Hey Everyone. Officially checking in!

I am so relieved to know officially that I will be attending GW, but now all I can think about is how difficult finding affordable housing will be. I would really love to live with some sort of roommate (not the literal interpretation of roommates though, I guess flatmate is a more appropriate word?) but I'm not sure that's a viable option. Ah! What are you all doing?

pabigelow5

New

Post by pabigelow5 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:24 pm

Got the email yesterday! In on ED. Waited almost 10 weeks for it but finally.... Congratulations to everyone else who has been admitted.

Those of you looking for apartments, check out the Arlington and Alexandria areas. Quite a few more apartments that are cheaper than DC but still in a nice area. I live in Alexandria now and will most likely be moving to Crystal City (South Arlington/North Alexandria). There is a slew of apartments on the orange and blue lines (the two that service the Foggy Bottom/GWU Metro stop), and both parts of towns are nice. Places to go and get coffee, drink, watch games, or shop, but still upscale. Kind of like a business district/college town feel to me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

uncreative

New

Post by uncreative » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:59 pm

Checking in. Hello everyone.

nmic

New

Post by nmic » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:30 pm

Checking in. Admitted yesterday. Anyone going to the admitted students gathering in DC next week?

uncreative

New

Post by uncreative » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:34 pm

nmic wrote:Anyone going to the admitted students gathering in DC next week?
I'm thinking about it. Will probably end up going.

nmic

New

Post by nmic » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:05 pm

uncreative wrote:
nmic wrote:Anyone going to the admitted students gathering in DC next week?
I'm thinking about it. Will probably end up going.
Great. I just RSVP'd. Not 100% set on GW, so really interested on how it's going to be.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

pabigelow5

New

Post by pabigelow5 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:32 pm

I'll be there. Looking forward to meeting fellow admits.

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:30 pm

Scholarship emails are going out!

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:03 pm

pabigelow5 wrote:Got the email yesterday! In on ED. Waited almost 10 weeks for it but finally.... Congratulations to everyone else who has been admitted.

Those of you looking for apartments, check out the Arlington and Alexandria areas. Quite a few more apartments that are cheaper than DC but still in a nice area. I live in Alexandria now and will most likely be moving to Crystal City (South Arlington/North Alexandria). There is a slew of apartments on the orange and blue lines (the two that service the Foggy Bottom/GWU Metro stop), and both parts of towns are nice. Places to go and get coffee, drink, watch games, or shop, but still upscale. Kind of like a business district/college town feel to me.
+1. As a former DC resident, I can vouch for this. If you're not familiar with the area, you might be thinking "Oh, I don't want to live out in the suburbs." Trust me, Arlington and Alexandria, particularly along the metro lines, are not "the burbs." It's basically completely indistinguishable from DC proper, and there are still plenty of cool restaurants, bars, places to shop, etc.

gbelle

Bronze

Post by gbelle » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:13 pm

Checking in! Unless I'm in at NYU, Columbia, or Harvard I will be joining you all in DC next year. Currently checking out apts on craigslist as we speak :)

Cannot make it to ASW events but I look forward to chatting with everyone over the next few months!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

xmking07

New

Post by xmking07 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:45 am

checking in.

Has everyone already received their scholarship offers? I was expecting to get at least a little bit of money but haven't heard anything back from the school regarding it yet.

JustHawkin

Gold

Post by JustHawkin » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:50 am

Also checking in!

jmaul21

New

Post by jmaul21 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:54 am

Checking in! Got scholarship email early this morning, so excited! I'm in at Georgetown as well, so I'm planning a trip in early march to check out both schools (and do a little sightseeing). Anyone familiar with the area have suggestions for me? I've never been to DC so I want to explore what it would be like to live there (well... As much as is possible in 4 days lol). Congrats to everyone else who's gotten in!!

mylifeis24

Bronze

Post by mylifeis24 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:37 pm

Received a scholarship email this morning as well! Not a bad merit package. PM for details.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mraemorris

New

Post by mraemorris » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:23 pm

jmaul21 wrote:Checking in! Got scholarship email early this morning, so excited! I'm in at Georgetown as well, so I'm planning a trip in early march to check out both schools (and do a little sightseeing). Anyone familiar with the area have suggestions for me? I've never been to DC so I want to explore what it would be like to live there (well... As much as is possible in 4 days lol). Congrats to everyone else who's gotten in!!
Check out the neighborhoods around the schools, but know that Georgetown Law's neighborhood is a little rough on the south side (it's fine during the day or with a group, but I made the mistake of walking through it alone once at around ten at night and felt uncomfortable). Foggy Bottom is nice, but the nightlife can feel very... college. Everyone outgrows McFadden's at some point, right?

I personally like to have people check out the monuments, walk through the mall, and then past the Capitol, Library of Congress, and Supreme Court. There may be scaffolding on the Capitol building when you get here, though. You can also easily make a running route at the length you like - it's a really nice way to see the heart of DC.

Definitely check out DuPont Circle and Adams Morgan. There's a lot of great restaurants and night life in both neighborhoods. If you go out, you are required to try Julia's Empanada's (DuPont) or Jumbo Slice in AdMo. It's a mid-20s DC right of passage. :) Since I don't know what types of bars/clubs you like, I won't get into that, but check Yelp. There's something for everyone.

If you have time, Eastern Market is cool, and it's just south of the Capital Hill neighborhood (a good option if you choose Gtown). Barracks Row is pretty nice, too, and just south of Eastern Market. It has great restaurants and bars, but is a bit far from both schools. Other places I'd suggest if you have time are the Zoo and surrounding neighborhood (Cleveland Park has great restaurants), and H St in Northeast. H St has a lot of fun bars and is one of the "hipster neighborhoods," - it's kind of an Austin-y oasis in DC.

Whatever you choose, you'll have a great time! Good luck! (I live here, but I actually live exactly between both schools and am having trouble picking - maybe I'll see you at one!)

pabigelow5

New

Post by pabigelow5 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:11 pm

jmaul21 wrote:Checking in! Got scholarship email early this morning, so excited! I'm in at Georgetown as well, so I'm planning a trip in early march to check out both schools (and do a little sightseeing). Anyone familiar with the area have suggestions for me? I've never been to DC so I want to explore what it would be like to live there (well... As much as is possible in 4 days lol). Congrats to everyone else who's gotten in!!
Check out NE Arlington too—Ballston, Clarendon, Courthouse, etc. That's a neat place for college agers and young adults that you may end up living in since it's cheaper. As far as seeing what it's like to live there, Penn Quarter, Adams Morgan, Georgetown area, are all neat places. Lots of restaurants, bars, shops, and cafes. One thing I'd highly suggest if you want to get a feel for life in the area is to take the metro anywhere you go. Driving is terrible around the District and parking is worse, so experiencing the metro would be a good experience.

xmking07

New

Post by xmking07 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:35 am

Does anyone know the travel stipend situation for GW? I haven't received the admissions packet yet and haven't found it on the admitted students website.

Teoeo

Silver

Post by Teoeo » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:55 am

Congrats to everyone who got in, feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the school or the area.

-2013 graduate

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”