SMU C/O 2017

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)

I'm bored so I'm making a new pole. What type of law do you want to practice?

Transactional
14
61%
Litigation
4
17%
Public Interest
1
4%
Government
2
9%
Undecided
2
9%
 
Total votes: 23

User avatar
TheJanitor6203
Posts: 811
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:12 pm

Re: SMU C/O 2017

Postby TheJanitor6203 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:25 am

Doctolaw wrote:
TheJanitor6203 wrote:

I think it's a worthy goal to pursue. My dad operates a non-profit that raises money through grants and through a thrift store to provide healthcare to low income people.


Is he in the Dallas area?

He's in the process of moving there. The clinic is in Bandera down by San Antonio.

User avatar
Doctolaw
Posts: 61
Joined: Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:00 am

Re: SMU C/O 2017

Postby Doctolaw » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:39 am

TheJanitor6203 wrote:
Doctolaw wrote:
TheJanitor6203 wrote:

I think it's a worthy goal to pursue. My dad operates a non-profit that raises money through grants and through a thrift store to provide healthcare to low income people.


Is he in the Dallas area?

He's in the process of moving there. The clinic is in Bandera down by San Antonio.


Oh nice. He'll be nearby while you are in law school.

User avatar
jts723
Posts: 138
Joined: Tue May 21, 2013 8:31 pm

Re: SMU C/O 2017

Postby jts723 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:29 pm

How is parking? I assume the garage for law students is first come first serve.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU C/O 2017

Postby kalvano » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:29 pm

jts723 wrote:How is parking? I assume the garage for law students is first come first serve.



It's fine. Some days you may have to park on the roof of the garage, but even that's pretty rare. There are plenty of spaces.

User avatar
chem!
Posts: 9380
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:03 pm

Re: SMU C/O 2017

Postby chem! » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:26 pm

kalvano wrote:
jts723 wrote:How is parking? I assume the garage for law students is first come first serve.



It's fine. Some days you may have to park on the roof of the garage, but even that's pretty rare. There are plenty of spaces.

Yeah, parking is fine. The way people drive in the garage is a different story, though.

katkatkat12
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:22 pm

Re: SMU C/O 2017

Postby katkatkat12 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:19 pm

Has anybody else been admitted to the PT program?

User avatar
downinDtown
Posts: 200
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:01 pm

Re: SMU C/O 2017

Postby downinDtown » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:33 am

TheJanitor6203 wrote:Kalvano,

Are any of the meal plans with it? I was looking at them the other day and they all seem to either be way to much or no where near enough. I'm thinking I'll probably be eating 1 or 2 meals a day there. What's close to the law school, cheap and good?

You can get a meal plan here: http://www.campusdish.com/en-US/CSSW/So ... lPlans.htm

The campus cafeteria is >5 minute walk from the Law Quad and the food is actually pretty good and it's an all-you-can-eat setup with different food stations. At ~$10/meal, it better be. There are a good number of other restaurants (some carry-out, some sit-down) within walking distance, so it just depends on what you're looking for.

If you're going to be commuting, the Commuter Meal Plan is an option; if you're going to be on campus all the time, there are the other more pricey options you mentioned (if you're going to eat there 2x a day, it's probably worth it, and you can use it for other people if they're with you). The Flex bucks can be used anywhere, even in the cafe in Carr Collins (in the law quad) or at Hughes-Trigg Student Center where they have the Chick-fil-a and Subway, etc. (but the off-campus Chick-fil-a is closer than the on-campus one due to the location of the law quad).

List of some restaurants I frequent and all within walking distance (and there are many more within Snider Plaza) (source: personal knowledge and http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=Restaurants+Near+Smu&find_loc=Dallas%2C+TX#:

Chain/Franchise
Chick-fil-a
Jimmy John's
Subway
Pizza Hut - used this many times with a small study group

Sometimes Go List
Goff's Hamburgers - good burger place
Kuby's - amazing breakfast place
Dive Coastal Cuisine - a little more pricey casual sitdown place
Jack's Burger House - ol' fashioned burger house
Zoe's - have good salad/wraps, etc.

Favorites
Digg's (really good tacos for ~7 bucks for a combo)
Bubba's (really good grilled chicken) - costs a little more
Peggy Sue's BBQ - great sitdown place for BBQ

All that being said, half the time, if you're on campus during the lunch hour there is some sort of organizational event that has food, so go, even if you're not a member and consider it a rebate on your student fees.

User avatar
Doctolaw
Posts: 61
Joined: Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:00 am

Re: SMU C/O 2017

Postby Doctolaw » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:57 pm

Who will be at the Admitted Students Day? I'm starting to get excited. :mrgreen:

Edit: I will be at the March 28 event.

User avatar
TheJanitor6203
Posts: 811
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:12 pm

Re: SMU C/O 2017

Postby TheJanitor6203 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:48 pm

Doctolaw wrote:Who will be at the Admitted Students Day? I'm starting to get excited. :mrgreen:

Edit: I will be at the March 28 event.

I'm 99% sure I'm going to the one in April. My wife and I get back from an 11 day vacation in Italy on March 27 so I doubt I'll have the energy to make it to the first one even though I'm excited about it and really want to try.

User avatar
Doctolaw
Posts: 61
Joined: Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:00 am

Re: SMU C/O 2017

Postby Doctolaw » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:58 am

TheJanitor6203 wrote:
Doctolaw wrote:Who will be at the Admitted Students Day? I'm starting to get excited. :mrgreen:

Edit: I will be at the March 28 event.

I'm 99% sure I'm going to the one in April. My wife and I get back from an 11 day vacation in Italy on March 27 so I doubt I'll have the energy to make it to the first one even though I'm excited about it and really want to try.


That is pretty much the best reason on the planet to miss!

User avatar
bound
Posts: 1083
Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:49 pm

Re: SMU C/O 2017

Postby bound » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:42 am

Haven't been admitted yet, but Ill see you there if I'm in :) Also, making a trip in Feb to look at the school.



Yes, I heart Dallas.

User avatar
TheJanitor6203
Posts: 811
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:12 pm

Re: SMU C/O 2017

Postby TheJanitor6203 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:04 pm

Doctolaw wrote:
TheJanitor6203 wrote:
Doctolaw wrote:Who will be at the Admitted Students Day? I'm starting to get excited. :mrgreen:

Edit: I will be at the March 28 event.

I'm 99% sure I'm going to the one in April. My wife and I get back from an 11 day vacation in Italy on March 27 so I doubt I'll have the energy to make it to the first one even though I'm excited about it and really want to try.


That is pretty much the best reason on the planet to miss!

It really is. My wife and I have been married for 8 1/2 years and we've never been on a vacation like this. When we were newlyweds we couldn't afford it and when we could we had kids plus I didn't have the time with work.

Titleist89
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:15 pm

Re: SMU C/O 2017

Postby Titleist89 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:57 pm

kalvano wrote:
jts723 wrote:How is parking? I assume the garage for law students is first come first serve.



It's fine. Some days you may have to park on the roof of the garage, but even that's pretty rare. There are plenty of spaces.


What Kalvano said. I've never had an issue finding a spot. Plus when you're a 1L you'll almost never have to even go past the first level or two (mainly b/c you're always the first ones on campus due to scheduling).

User avatar
bound
Posts: 1083
Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:49 pm

Re: SMU C/O 2017

Postby bound » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:09 pm

Officially checking in! Top choice for me. Excited to see scholly info! :D

User avatar
Doctolaw
Posts: 61
Joined: Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:00 am

Re: SMU C/O 2017

Postby Doctolaw » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:25 am

Austinbound wrote:Officially checking in! Top choice for me. Excited to see scholly info! :D


Congratulations! Looking forward to meeting you. Let me know if you need anything when you are visiting.

jd2017.8
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:10 pm

Re: SMU C/O 2017

Postby jd2017.8 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:35 pm

katkatkat12 wrote:Has anybody else been admitted to the PT program?

________________________

I'm admitted to the PT. Nice to know I'm not alone.

katkatkat12
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:22 pm

Re: SMU C/O 2017

Postby katkatkat12 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:26 pm

jd2017.8 wrote:
katkatkat12 wrote:Has anybody else been admitted to the PT program?

________________________

I'm admitted to the PT. Nice to know I'm not alone.


Yeah, I was feeling pretty left out, but congrats! I've met a few PT students and they all seem happy. Definitely helped ease the decision process.

User avatar
bound
Posts: 1083
Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:49 pm

Re: SMU C/O 2017

Postby bound » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:30 pm

Does anyone know if they offer travel stipends for ASW?

Afterparty
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:16 pm

Re: SMU C/O 2017

Postby Afterparty » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:24 pm

Deleted.
Last edited by Afterparty on Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bound
Posts: 1083
Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:49 pm

Re: SMU C/O 2017

Postby bound » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:25 pm

Afterparty wrote:Which ASD is everyone planning to attend?



99% sure that I am doing the April one.

Afterparty
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:16 pm

Re: SMU C/O 2017

Postby Afterparty » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:08 am

Deleted.
Last edited by Afterparty on Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
TheJanitor6203
Posts: 811
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:12 pm

Re: SMU C/O 2017

Postby TheJanitor6203 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:19 am

Afterparty wrote:
Austinbound wrote:
Afterparty wrote:Which ASD is everyone planning to attend?



sure that I am doing the April one.


I think I'm leaning towards that one as well. Hopefully there will be a good turn out! :) Did you find out about the stipend? I'm local but was just curious if any schools offer it since I may attend some other ASD(s) out of state.

Some schools definitely offer stipends. I received info about it from more than one school with acceptance letters but SMU was not one of them.

User avatar
Doctolaw
Posts: 61
Joined: Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:00 am

Re: SMU C/O 2017

Postby Doctolaw » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:21 pm

Afterparty wrote:Which ASD is everyone planning to attend?


I will be there in March. Which is next month! Woot!

User avatar
vineyardchick07
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:30 pm

Re: SMU C/O 2017

Postby vineyardchick07 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:01 am

Austinbound wrote:
Afterparty wrote:Which ASD is everyone planning to attend?



99% sure that I am doing the April one.


Me too! I registered for it today! :D

User avatar
TheJanitor6203
Posts: 811
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:12 pm

Re: SMU C/O 2017

Postby TheJanitor6203 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:23 am

I updated the thread with a poll so people can select which admit day they're going to.




Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest