Michigan Class of 2017

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
User avatar
chuckbass
Posts: 9957
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:29 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2017

Postby chuckbass » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:43 pm

alex.cm wrote:Nothing listed on the Admitted Student's website, but under "admissions communications" it says that they mailed me a Dean's Scholarship Award Letter today. Cue freakout, since if Michigan offers me a decent scholarship then that's where I'm going. do we have any idea what the range of $$ offered is for these?

Edit: for those of you now obsessively checking the site, I was accepted 11/6.

Aw yay! :)

HOS
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:06 am

Re: Michigan Class of 2017

Postby HOS » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:24 pm

alex.cm wrote:
HOS wrote:Checking in, accepted today and I'm looking forward to the Preview Weekend. Michigan is one of my top choices, although I'm waiting to here back from other schools still. Congratulations to everyone on this thread!


Congrats! Which preview weekend are you going to attend??


Thinking the one in March. I've a friend who works at Michigan so might make it an extra day, too.

User avatar
outsidethescope
Posts: 164
Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 3:06 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2017

Postby outsidethescope » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:44 pm

Hi there future summer starters! I am a 2014 summer starter and am subletting my place this summer. I have a 1 bedroom, ground level in a super nice grad student area. It's perfect for those that want to live alone and/or are bringing a +1 to law school! Pets are also allowed! Hooray!

It's a little less than a mile from campus. The complex has a van that drives students to/from the law school three times a day, and there's a bus right across the street that comes every 1/2 hour. I personally like the walk -- it's through a beautiful Victorian neighborhood with lots of trees. If you get really lazy/drunk, a cab is about $7.00. Also a plus, it’s a block from Professor Clark’s favorite bar!!!! You will have fun with him!

The apartment is 1 block from Kroger (a grocery store), a bowling ally/bar, and the Produce Station, (an organic grocery store). There’s a vet within walkable distance too, and he’s great.

I love the location -- far enough away on finals that I don't have to run into ANYONE, but close enough to everyone to have fun!

Rent includes:
*AIR CONDITIONING (OMG; don't make my mistake and go without it. The heat here is unbearable, I did this and suffered!)
*Swimming Pool
*24 Hour Gym
*Study lounge (with free printing!)
*FREE BREAKFAST WEDNESDAY!
*Outdoor Bbq pits
*Access to parks
*IN UNIT WASHER/DRYER! (Yippee!) (It’s also across the street from a big Laundromat if you have anything!)
*Dishwasher
*Any/All Furnishings/cleaning supplies/etc (I'm willing to leave what you need and store the rest!)
*FREE PARKING
*No roommates!
*Community parties

Rent is $950/month. I'll pay water & electricity while you're here, so that you don’t have to worry about it! The apartment is clean, and the carpets were new last year. So are the fixtures.

I'm also happy to leave all of my outlines and supps!


PM me for details.

To the rest of you, CONGRATULATIONS! :mrgreen: I am soooo happy for you! You're going to love it here.

OsaroLJ
Posts: 133
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:37 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2017

Postby OsaroLJ » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:11 pm

Patiently awaiting scholarship info from UM.

User avatar
UserNameHere
Posts: 103
Joined: Tue May 21, 2013 9:07 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2017

Postby UserNameHere » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:57 pm

HOS wrote:
alex.cm wrote:
HOS wrote:Checking in, accepted today and I'm looking forward to the Preview Weekend. Michigan is one of my top choices, although I'm waiting to here back from other schools still. Congratulations to everyone on this thread!


Congrats! Which preview weekend are you going to attend??


Thinking the one in March. I've a friend who works at Michigan so might make it an extra day, too.


Definitely March. April seems crazy late given that some schools have deposit deadlines shortly thereafter.

californiauser
Posts: 1184
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:10 am

Re: Michigan Class of 2017

Postby californiauser » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:29 pm

My page in the ASW says I was accepted as a summer start, can I switch to fall start?

I don't remember specifying for summer start.

User avatar
midwest17
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:27 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2017

Postby midwest17 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:42 pm

californiauser wrote:My page in the ASW says I was accepted as a summer start, can I switch to fall start?

I don't remember specifying for summer start.


Email the office and ask.

User avatar
thechancellor
Posts: 584
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:01 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2017

Postby thechancellor » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:36 pm

UserNameHere wrote:
HOS wrote:
alex.cm wrote:
HOS wrote:Checking in, accepted today and I'm looking forward to the Preview Weekend. Michigan is one of my top choices, although I'm waiting to here back from other schools still. Congratulations to everyone on this thread!


Congrats! Which preview weekend are you going to attend??


Thinking the one in March. I've a friend who works at Michigan so might make it an extra day, too.


Definitely March. April seems crazy late given that some schools have deposit deadlines shortly thereafter.

Yeah if I make it to one it'll be March. I'd like to but not sure I came really justify the time off.

User avatar
Serett
Posts: 8796
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:06 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2017

Postby Serett » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:29 am

Checking in!

dglenn26
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:31 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2017

Postby dglenn26 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:02 pm

The "Register Now" for admitted students weekend is up on the admitted students page but when I try to register it doesn't allow me to log in, is this happening for anyone else?

User avatar
UserNameHere
Posts: 103
Joined: Tue May 21, 2013 9:07 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2017

Postby UserNameHere » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:18 pm

dglenn26 wrote:The "Register Now" for admitted students weekend is up on the admitted students page but when I try to register it doesn't allow me to log in, is this happening for anyone else?


Same problem for me.

EEguy5
Posts: 94
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:43 am

Re: Michigan Class of 2017

Postby EEguy5 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:56 pm

Checking in. Admitted today. I'm from the state of Michigan and very excited to be accepted. Still waiting on a few schools and scholarship info before making a decision but michigan is definitely at the top of the list

User avatar
samoby
Posts: 362
Joined: Tue May 21, 2013 12:44 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2017

Postby samoby » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:39 pm

EEguy5 wrote:Checking in. Admitted today. I'm from the state of Michigan and very excited to be accepted. Still waiting on a few schools and scholarship info before making a decision but michigan is definitely at the top of the list


Congratulations! Welcome to the board. :)

User avatar
samoby
Posts: 362
Joined: Tue May 21, 2013 12:44 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2017

Postby samoby » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:34 pm

UserNameHere wrote:
dglenn26 wrote:The "Register Now" for admitted students weekend is up on the admitted students page but when I try to register it doesn't allow me to log in, is this happening for anyone else?


Same problem for me.


Yep. I'm really excited to see the campus so I'm anxious to register.

User avatar
kemosabe
Posts: 135
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:12 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2017

Postby kemosabe » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:54 pm

californiauser wrote:My page in the ASW says I was accepted as a summer start, can I switch to fall start?

I don't remember specifying for summer start.


I have the opposite problem. Do you guys think it'd come off the wrong way if I emailed them requesting a change? I did specify summer so I feel like they already took it into consideration and decided to offer me a spot for the fall. Too bad we can't just swap spots.

User avatar
Serett
Posts: 8796
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:06 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2017

Postby Serett » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:44 pm

kemosabe wrote:
californiauser wrote:My page in the ASW says I was accepted as a summer start, can I switch to fall start?

I don't remember specifying for summer start.


I have the opposite problem. Do you guys think it'd come off the wrong way if I emailed them requesting a change? I did specify summer so I feel like they already took it into consideration and decided to offer me a spot for the fall. Too bad we can't just swap spots.


Coordinate your emails to hit their inbox simultaneously. I don't think it hurts to try asking for a change, in any event.

IrishJew
Posts: 331
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:39 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2017

Postby IrishJew » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:55 pm

Hey, All. Just got my acceptance letter today. Applied 11/21, very good LSAT, crappy GPA < 25th, strong softs, and I wrote a why Mich. All my info is in the spreadsheet. PM me if you want stats or personal info.

Sorry if this is a question that has been asked and answered, but does anyone know when and how they notify you of merit aid? I see a few people in here commenting on aid offers, but my letter didn't say anything one way or the other, does that mean I didn't get any aid, do they send it later on their own, or do you have to fill out a form to ask for aid?

Thanks for any info you have and good luck to all who are still waiting!

dglenn26
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:31 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2017

Postby dglenn26 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:22 pm

IrishJew wrote:Hey, All. Just got my acceptance letter today. Applied 11/21, very good LSAT, crappy GPA < 25th, strong softs, and I wrote a why Mich. All my info is in the spreadsheet. PM me if you want stats or personal info.

Sorry if this is a question that has been asked and answered, but does anyone know when and how they notify you of merit aid? I see a few people in here commenting on aid offers, but my letter didn't say anything one way or the other, does that mean I didn't get any aid, do they send it later on their own, or do you have to fill out a form to ask for aid?

Thanks for any info you have and good luck to all who are still waiting!



Hey so for me and for probably most of us on here, we all heard about dean's schollies on the same day in December. I'd imagine they now do it on a rolling basis. You might want to also check on the admitted students page under your personal award because that's where mine popped up first

IrishJew
Posts: 331
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:39 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2017

Postby IrishJew » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:27 am

dglenn26 wrote:
IrishJew wrote:Hey, All. Just got my acceptance letter today. Applied 11/21, very good LSAT, crappy GPA < 25th, strong softs, and I wrote a why Mich. All my info is in the spreadsheet. PM me if you want stats or personal info.

Sorry if this is a question that has been asked and answered, but does anyone know when and how they notify you of merit aid? I see a few people in here commenting on aid offers, but my letter didn't say anything one way or the other, does that mean I didn't get any aid, do they send it later on their own, or do you have to fill out a form to ask for aid?

Thanks for any info you have and good luck to all who are still waiting!



Hey so for me and for probably most of us on here, we all heard about dean's schollies on the same day in December. I'd imagine they now do it on a rolling basis. You might want to also check on the admitted students page under your personal award because that's where mine popped up first


Sorry, I don't quite follow. So you were admitted at some point before this day in December and then found out about scholarships later (on the same day as everyone else admitted up until that point)? Or do you mean you got your admission and scholarship on the same day?

I went on the ASW and it says "zero awards found," but i was just admitted this week. Basically my question is would they have told me along with the admit if they were offering me anything, or do scholarship decisions come out after the admission letter? Also, some schools like Duke require you to submit a "consider me for merit aid" application. Does UMich have that or it's all automatic? (Talking about merit aid only here, I know need based is a different animal.)

Thanks.

User avatar
kershka
Posts: 630
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:45 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2017

Postby kershka » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:50 am

IrishJew wrote:
dglenn26 wrote:
IrishJew wrote:Hey, All. Just got my acceptance letter today. Applied 11/21, very good LSAT, crappy GPA < 25th, strong softs, and I wrote a why Mich. All my info is in the spreadsheet. PM me if you want stats or personal info.

Sorry if this is a question that has been asked and answered, but does anyone know when and how they notify you of merit aid? I see a few people in here commenting on aid offers, but my letter didn't say anything one way or the other, does that mean I didn't get any aid, do they send it later on their own, or do you have to fill out a form to ask for aid?

Thanks for any info you have and good luck to all who are still waiting!



Hey so for me and for probably most of us on here, we all heard about dean's schollies on the same day in December. I'd imagine they now do it on a rolling basis. You might want to also check on the admitted students page under your personal award because that's where mine popped up first


Sorry, I don't quite follow. So you were admitted at some point before this day in December and then found out about scholarships later (on the same day as everyone else admitted up until that point)? Or do you mean you got your admission and scholarship on the same day?

I went on the ASW and it says "zero awards found," but i was just admitted this week. Basically my question is would they have told me along with the admit if they were offering me anything, or do scholarship decisions come out after the admission letter? Also, some schools like Duke require you to submit a "consider me for merit aid" application. Does UMich have that or it's all automatic? (Talking about merit aid only here, I know need based is a different animal.)

Thanks.


He meant that all of us who have already received Dean's Scholarships were all told about our schollys on the same day. We never directly compared admissions days but it seems like there was a lot of variety about when we each were admitted. In other words, schollys came after admissions not with your acceptance package.

There was no merit aid application for things like Dean's Scholarships and Darrow invites. Every applicant is considered upon acceptance. TBF, everyone who applied before a certain date heard back in a batch so its hard to tell how scholly decisions will proceed from this point. It's possible that Michigan will release scholly decisions on a rolling basis now that they have started or they might do another big batch. Either way, you shouldn't be worried yet.

IrishJew
Posts: 331
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:39 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2017

Postby IrishJew » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:49 am

kershka wrote:He meant that all of us who have already received Dean's Scholarships were all told about our schollys on the same day. We never directly compared admissions days but it seems like there was a lot of variety about when we each were admitted. In other words, schollys came after admissions not with your acceptance package.

There was no merit aid application for things like Dean's Scholarships and Darrow invites. Every applicant is considered upon acceptance. TBF, everyone who applied before a certain date heard back in a batch so its hard to tell how scholly decisions will proceed from this point. It's possible that Michigan will release scholly decisions on a rolling basis now that they have started or they might do another big batch. Either way, you shouldn't be worried yet.


Thanks Kershka and dglenn. So then it sounds like nobody admitted after December's magic scholarship day got heard about scholarships yet? (The scant data on LSN seems to indicate that too). Whether we hear as a batch or one at a time, it sounds like, as you say, I probably shouldn't worry yet and they still might offer something. Thanks.

User avatar
midwest17
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:27 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2017

Postby midwest17 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:12 pm

IrishJew wrote:
kershka wrote:He meant that all of us who have already received Dean's Scholarships were all told about our schollys on the same day. We never directly compared admissions days but it seems like there was a lot of variety about when we each were admitted. In other words, schollys came after admissions not with your acceptance package.

There was no merit aid application for things like Dean's Scholarships and Darrow invites. Every applicant is considered upon acceptance. TBF, everyone who applied before a certain date heard back in a batch so its hard to tell how scholly decisions will proceed from this point. It's possible that Michigan will release scholly decisions on a rolling basis now that they have started or they might do another big batch. Either way, you shouldn't be worried yet.


Thanks Kershka and dglenn. So then it sounds like nobody admitted after December's magic scholarship day got heard about scholarships yet? (The scant data on LSN seems to indicate that too). Whether we hear as a batch or one at a time, it sounds like, as you say, I probably shouldn't worry yet and they still might offer something. Thanks.


See here: https://www.law.umich.edu/financialaid/ ... es/1L.aspx

You're considered automatically for merit scholarships, and definitely shouldn't worry if you only got in a few days ago.

In February, you'll be able to apply for need-based aid.

User avatar
UserNameHere
Posts: 103
Joined: Tue May 21, 2013 9:07 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2017

Postby UserNameHere » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:32 pm

IrishJew wrote:
I went on the ASW and it says "zero awards found," but i was just admitted this week. Basically my question is would they have told me along with the admit if they were offering me anything, or do scholarship decisions come out after the admission letter? Also, some schools like Duke require you to submit a "consider me for merit aid" application. Does UMich have that or it's all automatic? (Talking about merit aid only here, I know need based is a different animal.)

Thanks.


See Pg. 3 of this subject

User avatar
livefromannarbor
Posts: 118
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:28 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2017

Postby livefromannarbor » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:35 am

Forgive me if this has been answered elsewhere. Has anyone received an update in their personal award info area but NOT had any update in the admissions communication section? I suddenly have a Deans Scholarship, but have no mention of a letter explaining the scholarship in the communications section, and I'm not sure if it's an accident or not.

OsaroLJ
Posts: 133
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:37 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2017

Postby OsaroLJ » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:33 am

livefromannarbor wrote:Forgive me if this has been answered elsewhere. Has anyone received an update in their personal award info area but NOT had any update in the admissions communication section? I suddenly have a Deans Scholarship, but have no mention of a letter explaining the scholarship in the communications section, and I'm not sure if it's an accident or not.


I don't have an answer for you but when did you get accepted? I got accepted 12/20 and haven't heard back yet re: $$




Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest