Michigan Class of 2017

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
User avatar
esrom55
Posts: 254
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:43 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2017

Postby esrom55 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:06 am

Anyone know if the schollie $$ updates once each morning like the Michigan status checker? Got accepted a week ago and am anxious to see whether Michigan is going to be an option. Is it worth checking periodically throughout the day or not?

Thanks!

User avatar
capt_slow
Posts: 286
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:08 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2017

Postby capt_slow » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:42 am

Good question, but unfortunately I have no answer for you (yes I know, the most helpful post ever)

Hopefully someone with experience will chime in shortly.

User avatar
thechancellor
Posts: 584
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:01 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2017

Postby thechancellor » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:23 pm

esrom55 wrote:Anyone know if the schollie $$ updates once each morning like the Michigan status checker? Got accepted a week ago and am anxious to see whether Michigan is going to be an option. Is it worth checking periodically throughout the day or not?

Thanks!


IIRC we talked about this briefly earlier in the thread... too lazy to go back and find it but I don't think we ever were conclusive about it. FWIW mine was there at about 8:30am on a Saturday when it had not been when I checked Friday morning, but I a) didn't check friday night and b) was not up at that 6:00 am sweet spot when the status checker refreshes.

ETA: also, I had a notification under the "mailings" section that my offer had been mailed, and that went up (I think) on that Thursday. I do think a few people said that they never saw that notification, though.

User avatar
Leo
Posts: 342
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:58 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2017

Postby Leo » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:22 pm

Has anyone had luck getting Mich to match another school's offer?

User avatar
esrom55
Posts: 254
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:43 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2017

Postby esrom55 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:08 am

alex.cm wrote:
esrom55 wrote:Anyone know if the schollie $$ updates once each morning like the Michigan status checker? Got accepted a week ago and am anxious to see whether Michigan is going to be an option. Is it worth checking periodically throughout the day or not?

Thanks!


IIRC we talked about this briefly earlier in the thread... too lazy to go back and find it but I don't think we ever were conclusive about it. FWIW mine was there at about 8:30am on a Saturday when it had not been when I checked Friday morning, but I a) didn't check friday night and b) was not up at that 6:00 am sweet spot when the status checker refreshes.

ETA: also, I had a notification under the "mailings" section that my offer had been mailed, and that went up (I think) on that Thursday. I do think a few people said that they never saw that notification, though.


For future reference, it seems scholarship awards behave similarly to status checker. No awards last night when I went to bed, but scholarship this morning when I checked.

drumstickies
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:53 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2017

Postby drumstickies » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:26 am

Quick question-- the scholly is just for 2014-15, right? There's only one line with the year 2015 on it and my scholarship amount (for example, if I received $15k, is that 45 total over three years or 5?)

lakers180
Posts: 134
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:11 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2017

Postby lakers180 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:29 am

drumstickies wrote:Quick question-- the scholly is just for 2014-15, right? There's only one line with the year 2015 on it and my scholarship amount (for example, if I received $15k, is that 45 total over three years or 5?)


should be per year so 45 k total

User avatar
thechancellor
Posts: 584
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:01 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2017

Postby thechancellor » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:17 am

Leo wrote:Has anyone had luck getting Mich to match another school's offer?

there hasn't been any real conclusive discussion but there's a thread over in the Choosing a Law School forum about this: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=224985

ETA: also over in the Financial Aid forum but there's even less re: good answers there. viewtopic.php?f=15&t=224978

Sounds like the real conclusion is - you can try but don't expect much.

jjking
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:13 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2017

Postby jjking » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:08 pm

deleted
Last edited by jjking on Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Serett
Posts: 8697
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:06 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2017

Postby Serett » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:14 pm

jjking wrote:Has anyone successfully qualified for need-based aid? Filled out the questionnaire and really surprised at the result...


Nope :(

jjking
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:13 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2017

Postby jjking » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:52 pm

Serett wrote:
jjking wrote:Has anyone successfully qualified for need-based aid? Filled out the questionnaire and really surprised at the result...


Nope :(



The fin aid office is awesome. period.
Last edited by jjking on Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
thechancellor
Posts: 584
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:01 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2017

Postby thechancellor » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:27 pm

jjking wrote:Has anyone successfully qualified for need-based aid? Filled out the questionnaire and really surprised at the result...


Filled out the form and didn't qualify.

User avatar
anyriotgirl
Posts: 7507
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:54 am

Re: Michigan Class of 2017

Postby anyriotgirl » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:30 pm

Same here. No need as far as M is concerned. Anecdotally qualified for $2k/yr at UCLA in need aid, do with that what you will.

User avatar
logical seasoning
Posts: 117
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:26 am

Re: Michigan Class of 2017

Postby logical seasoning » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:35 pm

jjking wrote:Has anyone successfully qualified for need-based aid? Filled out the questionnaire and really surprised at the result...


I literally have a few bucks to my name and didnt qualify...

User avatar
anyriotgirl
Posts: 7507
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:54 am

Re: Michigan Class of 2017

Postby anyriotgirl » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:37 pm

logical seasoning wrote:
jjking wrote:Has anyone successfully qualified for need-based aid? Filled out the questionnaire and really surprised at the result...


I literally have a few bucks to my name and didnt qualify...


I'm pretty sure it's almost entirely based on if you got Pell grants in UG or not.

wolverine^2
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:27 am

Re: Michigan Class of 2017

Postby wolverine^2 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:03 pm

I think someone recently asked this but I didn't see an answer--is there a Facebook group right now for Michigan Law Admitted Students (class of 2017)?

Second, and tangentially related (I was going to post this on the Facebook group), is there anyone in the Chicago area currently thinking about or going to Michigan? Since there isn't an alumni reception in Chicago this year, I thought I might attempt to organize an informal happy hour/get together (I'll be starting at Michigan this summer). Let me know if you'd be interested in attending and if so what times generally work best.

User avatar
livefromannarbor
Posts: 118
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:28 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2017

Postby livefromannarbor » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:56 pm

anyriotgirl wrote:
logical seasoning wrote:
jjking wrote:Has anyone successfully qualified for need-based aid? Filled out the questionnaire and really surprised at the result...


I literally have a few bucks to my name and didnt qualify...


I'm pretty sure it's almost entirely based on if you got Pell grants in UG or not.


I think this may be the case. I did receive Pell and did get the "you may qualify for need-based aid" result of the evaluation tool. Just sent my NeedAccess today, so no news as to actual numerical outcome yet.

User avatar
ZGr88n
Posts: 449
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:00 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2017

Postby ZGr88n » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:14 am

livefromannarbor wrote:
anyriotgirl wrote:
logical seasoning wrote:
jjking wrote:Has anyone successfully qualified for need-based aid? Filled out the questionnaire and really surprised at the result...


I literally have a few bucks to my name and didnt qualify...


I'm pretty sure it's almost entirely based on if you got Pell grants in UG or not.


I think this may be the case. I did receive Pell and did get the "you may qualify for need-based aid" result of the evaluation tool. Just sent my NeedAccess today, so no news as to actual numerical outcome yet.


Yeah, I received the same "you may qualify" result, and I qualified for Pell grants all through UG. I'll definitely let you all know if I hear anything (especially if it's positive :D ).

User avatar
action90
Posts: 126
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:25 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2017

Postby action90 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:20 am

Got a pretty good scholarship and am heavily leaning toward attending next year, hope to meet some of you at ASW.

User avatar
monsterman
Posts: 322
Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:29 am

Re: Michigan Class of 2017

Postby monsterman » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:39 am

Checking in!!

User avatar
capt_slow
Posts: 286
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:08 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2017

Postby capt_slow » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:02 am

wolverine^2 wrote:I think someone recently asked this but I didn't see an answer--is there a Facebook group right now for Michigan Law Admitted Students (class of 2017)?

Second, and tangentially related (I was going to post this on the Facebook group), is there anyone in the Chicago area currently thinking about or going to Michigan? Since there isn't an alumni reception in Chicago this year, I thought I might attempt to organize an informal happy hour/get together (I'll be starting at Michigan this summer). Let me know if you'd be interested in attending and if so what times generally work best.


There is not a FB group, I can start one if there is enough interest. Just let me know people.

emaytch
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:27 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2017

Postby emaytch » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:42 am

capt_slow wrote:
wolverine^2 wrote:I think someone recently asked this but I didn't see an answer--is there a Facebook group right now for Michigan Law Admitted Students (class of 2017)?

Second, and tangentially related (I was going to post this on the Facebook group), is there anyone in the Chicago area currently thinking about or going to Michigan? Since there isn't an alumni reception in Chicago this year, I thought I might attempt to organize an informal happy hour/get together (I'll be starting at Michigan this summer). Let me know if you'd be interested in attending and if so what times generally work best.


There is not a FB group, I can start one if there is enough interest. Just let me know people.


Given how many times that question has been asked in this thread, I'd say go for it!

User avatar
capt_slow
Posts: 286
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:08 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2017

Postby capt_slow » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:18 pm

Last edited by capt_slow on Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

emaytch
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:27 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2017

Postby emaytch » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:32 pm

capt_slow wrote:I've created the group... Here is the link https://www.facebook.com/groups/224727931056736/

Alternatively, you can PM your FB info and I will add you to the group.


You rock!

User avatar
capt_slow
Posts: 286
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:08 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2017

Postby capt_slow » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:00 pm

emaytch wrote:
capt_slow wrote:I've created the group... Here is the link https://www.facebook.com/groups/224727931056736/

Alternatively, you can PM your FB info and I will add you to the group.


You rock!

I try




Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest