Michigan Class of 2017

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
User avatar
capt_slow
Posts: 286
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:08 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2017

Postby capt_slow » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:38 pm

Checking in! So excited!

User avatar
anyriotgirl
Posts: 7529
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:54 am

Re: Michigan Class of 2017

Postby anyriotgirl » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:42 pm

livefromannarbor wrote:Just spoke to FinAid. The need based evaluation will be posted "in the next week," for those of us waiting.


Do we know how much success people typically have in getting need based aid? I combed through some of last year's threads and couldn't find much.

User avatar
livefromannarbor
Posts: 118
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:28 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2017

Postby livefromannarbor » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:24 pm

anyriotgirl wrote:
livefromannarbor wrote:Just spoke to FinAid. The need based evaluation will be posted "in the next week," for those of us waiting.


Do we know how much success people typically have in getting need based aid? I combed through some of last year's threads and couldn't find much.


My understanding based on my conversations with several finaid officers and admissions reps is that need-based aid is really, really hard to come by.

Paraphrased from an email reply I got a couple of weeks ago:
"We give out a limited amount of need-based aid to the very neediest students." They also said that they don't take parental info into account, so they rely primarily on a history of financial need.

ETA: Also, welcome Capt. Slow! As a Top Gear fan, I am fairly happy about your presence. :lol:

User avatar
dusters
Posts: 160
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:12 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2017

Postby dusters » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:38 pm

Fellow summer starters, hows the apartment hunt going? The challenges of finding a place that allows dogs.....

williamsme90
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:44 am

Re: Michigan Class of 2017

Postby williamsme90 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:55 pm

Just got the acceptance letter in the mail. Apparently I'm accepted for summer start, but the handwritten note on the letter said "If you'd prefer fall for the start, just let me know." Do they give that choice to all summer admits?

User avatar
Vexed
Posts: 261
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:55 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2017

Postby Vexed » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:29 pm

Finally got my scholarship letter, $75k, no longer eligible for need based grants.

Leaning pretty hard to Michigan at this point.

juno13
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:14 am

Re: Michigan Class of 2017

Postby juno13 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:30 pm

Checking in! Woohoo!

User avatar
capt_slow
Posts: 286
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:08 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2017

Postby capt_slow » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:34 pm

livefromannarbor wrote:
anyriotgirl wrote:
livefromannarbor wrote:Just spoke to FinAid. The need based evaluation will be posted "in the next week," for those of us waiting.


Do we know how much success people typically have in getting need based aid? I combed through some of last year's threads and couldn't find much.


My understanding based on my conversations with several finaid officers and admissions reps is that need-based aid is really, really hard to come by.

Paraphrased from an email reply I got a couple of weeks ago:
"We give out a limited amount of need-based aid to the very neediest students." They also said that they don't take parental info into account, so they rely primarily on a history of financial need.

ETA: Also, welcome Capt. Slow! As a Top Gear fan, I am fairly happy about your presence. :lol:


Glad to find another Top Gear fan! Any good driving roads near A2?

User avatar
AceDeuces
Posts: 122
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:14 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2017

Postby AceDeuces » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:31 pm

capt_slow wrote:
livefromannarbor wrote:
anyriotgirl wrote:
livefromannarbor wrote:Just spoke to FinAid. The need based evaluation will be posted "in the next week," for those of us waiting.


Do we know how much success people typically have in getting need based aid? I combed through some of last year's threads and couldn't find much.


My understanding based on my conversations with several finaid officers and admissions reps is that need-based aid is really, really hard to come by.

Paraphrased from an email reply I got a couple of weeks ago:
"We give out a limited amount of need-based aid to the very neediest students." They also said that they don't take parental info into account, so they rely primarily on a history of financial need.

ETA: Also, welcome Capt. Slow! As a Top Gear fan, I am fairly happy about your presence. :lol:


Glad to find another Top Gear fan! Any good driving roads near A2?


The local favorite is the beautiful Huron River Drive. Look out for bikers (of which I'm one), but I always see people taking a ride in their convertibles and what not when the weather is nice.

User avatar
capt_slow
Posts: 286
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:08 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2017

Postby capt_slow » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:45 am

I, too, am a cyclist. Sounds like it is a good town for cycling!

User avatar
ZGr88n
Posts: 449
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:00 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2017

Postby ZGr88n » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:47 am

capt_slow wrote:I, too, am a cyclist. Sounds like it is a good town for cycling!


Until I reached this comment, I thought you guys were talking about motorcycles. Now I'm utterly heartbroken and disappointed :(

User avatar
anyriotgirl
Posts: 7529
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:54 am

Re: Michigan Class of 2017

Postby anyriotgirl » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:47 am

This might be a dumb question, but what's the deal with the gym here? Are there gyms on campus or do people belong to gyms in town, or what?

User avatar
AceDeuces
Posts: 122
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:14 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2017

Postby AceDeuces » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:46 pm

capt_slow wrote:I, too, am a cyclist. Sounds like it is a good town for cycling!



There's a very active Cycling Club at Michigan with all levels of riders. North and West of town are the best routes. South is alright, kind of boring. East is really tough, as you are headed toward Detroit, but there are some decent roads.

californiauser
Posts: 1184
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:10 am

Re: Michigan Class of 2017

Postby californiauser » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:06 pm

anyriotgirl wrote:This might be a dumb question, but what's the deal with the gym here? Are there gyms on campus or do people belong to gyms in town, or what?


I read, I forget where, that you can sign up for a B-school gym membership. It's a 5 minute walk from the law school.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

User avatar
thechancellor
Posts: 584
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:01 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2017

Postby thechancellor » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:53 pm

californiauser wrote:
anyriotgirl wrote:This might be a dumb question, but what's the deal with the gym here? Are there gyms on campus or do people belong to gyms in town, or what?


I read, I forget where, that you can sign up for a B-school gym membership. It's a 5 minute walk from the law school.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.


There's several gyms on campus, too - I'm pretty sure your mcard gets you into all go them (although I don't know what the b-school's does/is like, they really like being exclusive so I wouldn't be surprised if you have to pay cashmonies for that one). I have a close friend who works for the university and she definitely can get into the gyms/play on intramural teams.

check out http://recsports.umich.edu/ for all the deets. We should totally put together a TLS broomball team.

dglenn26
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:31 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2017

Postby dglenn26 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:47 pm

alex.cm wrote:
californiauser wrote:
anyriotgirl wrote:This might be a dumb question, but what's the deal with the gym here? Are there gyms on campus or do people belong to gyms in town, or what?


I read, I forget where, that you can sign up for a B-school gym membership. It's a 5 minute walk from the law school.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.


There's several gyms on campus, too - I'm pretty sure your mcard gets you into all go them (although I don't know what the b-school's does/is like, they really like being exclusive so I wouldn't be surprised if you have to pay cashmonies for that one). I have a close friend who works for the university and she definitely can get into the gyms/play on intramural teams.

check out http://recsports.umich.edu/ for all the deets. We should totally put together a TLS broomball team.


On the b-school gym, it does cost to join. It's like $150 a semester if I remember correctly. To Ross's credit, though we certainly could do a better job of not acting so exclusive, the gym is smaller so limiting who can join makes some sense. It is open to business students and law students. The b-schoool is right across from the quad, so if you don't mind paying, it might be something to look into. Here's the site: http://www2.bus.umich.edu/MyiMpact/hosp ... /about-och

User avatar
AceDeuces
Posts: 122
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:14 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2017

Postby AceDeuces » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:57 pm

anyriotgirl wrote:This might be a dumb question, but what's the deal with the gym here? Are there gyms on campus or do people belong to gyms in town, or what?



There are three big gyms on campus you can use just by using your M-Card. Don't bother with the B-School. It's extremely pretentious down there. And I think it's more expensive than people are saying, plus you have to be "sponsored" by a B-School student.

User avatar
anyriotgirl
Posts: 7529
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:54 am

Re: Michigan Class of 2017

Postby anyriotgirl » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:12 pm

dglenn26 wrote:
alex.cm wrote:
californiauser wrote:
anyriotgirl wrote:This might be a dumb question, but what's the deal with the gym here? Are there gyms on campus or do people belong to gyms in town, or what?


I read, I forget where, that you can sign up for a B-school gym membership. It's a 5 minute walk from the law school.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.


There's several gyms on campus, too - I'm pretty sure your mcard gets you into all go them (although I don't know what the b-school's does/is like, they really like being exclusive so I wouldn't be surprised if you have to pay cashmonies for that one). I have a close friend who works for the university and she definitely can get into the gyms/play on intramural teams.

check out http://recsports.umich.edu/ for all the deets. We should totally put together a TLS broomball team.


On the b-school gym, it does cost to join. It's like $150 a semester if I remember correctly. To Ross's credit, though we certainly could do a better job of not acting so exclusive, the gym is smaller so limiting who can join makes some sense. It is open to business students and law students. The b-schoool is right across from the quad, so if you don't mind paying, it might be something to look into. Here's the site: http://www2.bus.umich.edu/MyiMpact/hosp ... /about-och


Do law students and MBA students socialize at all? Don't all make fun of me at once, but I would rather meet eligible bachelors from the business school than from the law school just for sanity's sake.

dglenn26
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:31 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2017

Postby dglenn26 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:13 pm

On the b-school gym, it does cost to join. It's like $150 a semester if I remember correctly. To Ross's credit, though we certainly could do a better job of not acting so exclusive, the gym is smaller so limiting who can join makes some sense. It is open to business students and law students. The b-schoool is right across from the quad, so if you don't mind paying, it might be something to look into. Here's the site: http://www2.bus.umich.edu/MyiMpact/hosp ... /about-och[/quote]

Do law students and MBA students socialize at all? Don't all make fun of me at once, but I would rather meet eligible bachelors from the business school than from the law school just for sanity's sake.[/quote]

From what I know (I'm a BBA 2013), the MBAs invite the Law kids to their tailgates. They have this big school bus and a parking spot relatively close to the stadium and just get a bunch of kegs and a DJ each Saturday. I've been there once briefly and it seemed like a good time. Other than that, I'm not entirely sure. The MBAs do go out quite a bit and if you met one, it'd probably be pretty easy to find a night to go out with them. I know they do Skeeps (a bar here) every Thursday from 8-10 before the undergrads show up.

dglenn26
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:31 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2017

Postby dglenn26 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:14 pm

AceDeuces wrote:
anyriotgirl wrote:This might be a dumb question, but what's the deal with the gym here? Are there gyms on campus or do people belong to gyms in town, or what?



There are three big gyms on campus you can use just by using your M-Card. Don't bother with the B-School. It's extremely pretentious down there. And I think it's more expensive than people are saying, plus you have to be "sponsored" by a B-School student.


Law students don't need to be sponsored.

User avatar
AceDeuces
Posts: 122
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:14 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2017

Postby AceDeuces » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:18 pm

dglenn26 wrote:
AceDeuces wrote:
anyriotgirl wrote:This might be a dumb question, but what's the deal with the gym here? Are there gyms on campus or do people belong to gyms in town, or what?



There are three big gyms on campus you can use just by using your M-Card. Don't bother with the B-School. It's extremely pretentious down there. And I think it's more expensive than people are saying, plus you have to be "sponsored" by a B-School student.


Law students don't need to be sponsored.


Ah I was unaware. It is still a bit pricey though. Not worth it with the IM building about 5 minutes away.

User avatar
OfThriceandTen
Posts: 104
Joined: Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:59 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2017

Postby OfThriceandTen » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:26 pm

Lol. Law school students do not have to be sponsored and $150/semester seems accurate. It's small but if you aren't a fan of run-down gyms it's worth the cost. The free-for-students gyms on campus are old and grimy. There is a lot more choice in terms of equipment, but if you're a person who will not be motivated to go to a place unless it's nice, they're not going to do it for you. As for personal preference, I despise the CCRB and harbor mild to moderate resentment for the IM building, although I have used it this semester to save money and because I've been too busy a lot of times to even make time for the gym. IM gym doesn't have locker rooms, e.g., or showers, or anything you would think of when you think of gym perks. If you just want to go and run inside, though, or shoot hoops or play racquetball or lift weights, though, it's good for all of that. The school gives passes out during ASW that can be used for CCRB and IM too I think. I used mine on CCRB and have not gone back since. But if you're worried about gyms you should do that.

As for fraternizing with b-schoolers, I mean, the med school is a better bet for husband hunting, but there are a few lawlgirls who have found their Ross soulmates. The schools put on mixers and speed dating events together (law and business and med, in various combinations). Some Ross kids and other non-law students take some classes at the law school, and vice versa you can take Ross classes. But I'm sure the majority of interdisciplinary commingling happens at Ricks.
Last edited by OfThriceandTen on Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clemson772
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:46 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2017

Postby Clemson772 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:29 pm

.
Last edited by Clemson772 on Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jrthor10
Posts: 364
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:33 am

Re: Michigan Class of 2017

Postby jrthor10 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:30 pm

AceDeuces wrote:
dglenn26 wrote:
AceDeuces wrote:
anyriotgirl wrote:This might be a dumb question, but what's the deal with the gym here? Are there gyms on campus or do people belong to gyms in town, or what?



There are three big gyms on campus you can use just by using your M-Card. Don't bother with the B-School. It's extremely pretentious down there. And I think it's more expensive than people are saying, plus you have to be "sponsored" by a B-School student.


Law students don't need to be sponsored.


Ah I was unaware. It is still a bit pricey though. Not worth it with the IM building about 5 minutes away.


30 seconds vs. 10 minutes makes a big difference when it is 2 degrees out.

But yea, I don't know what this sponsorship is that someone referred to, but you just pay $200 a semester for gym, which has free classes inc. in the membership fee (pretty sure you have to pay for classes at IM/CCRB). Best investment I've made as a 1L.

If anyone else here has questions about Mich, being a 1L, etc. let me know. Happy to help answer them if I can. I do think the Lawyers Club and the community it fosters, both for better and worse (worse being for those people who don't live there and admittedly had to work harder at the beginning to establish friend groups) is what makes Michigan unique compared to V or P or any of the other similarly ranked schools.

dglenn26
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:31 pm

Re: Michigan Class of 2017

Postby dglenn26 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:32 pm

OfThriceandTen wrote:Lol. Law school students do not have to be sponsored and $150/semester seems accurate. It's small but if you aren't a fan of run-down gyms it's worth the cost. The free-for-students gyms on campus are old and grimy. There is a lot more choice in terms of equipment, but if you're a person who will not be motivated to go to a place unless it's nice, they're not going to do it for you. As for personal preference, I despise the CCRB and harbor mild to moderate resentment for the IM building, although I have used it this semester to save money and because I've been too busy a lot of times to even make time for the gym. IM gym doesn't have locker rooms, e.g., or showers, or anything you would think of when you think of gym perks. If you just want to go and run inside, though, or shoot hoops or play racquetball or lift weights, though, it's good for all of that. The school gives passes out during ASW that can be used for CCRB and IM too I think. I used mine on CCRB and have not gone back since. But if you're worried about gyms you should do that.

As for fraternizing with b-schoolers, I mean, the med school is a better bet for husband hunting, but there are a few lawlgirls who have found their Ross soulmates. The schools put on mixers and speed dating events together (law and business and med, in various combinations). Some Ross kids and other non-law students take some classes at the law school, and vice versa you can take Ross classes. But I'm sure the majority of interdisciplinary commingling happens at Ricks.


Mmmm safe to say the majority of all commingling in Ann Arbor happens at Rick's.




Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest