Michigan Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
HorseThief

Silver

Re: Michigan Class of 2017

Post by HorseThief » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:58 pm

Workingtitle wrote:So in the scholarship letter I got from Michigan, it specifically says they will not 'compete' with other schools financial aid offers. Does anyone know if they are just saying this, or if it is actually true?

I'm not complaining or anything. I'm totally excited to have just gotten what I did. But it would still be nice to try and negotiate for more :)
The talk in this tread is that it's just posturing. You might be able to move it a little bit.

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:32 pm

HorseThief wrote:
Workingtitle wrote:So in the scholarship letter I got from Michigan, it specifically says they will not 'compete' with other schools financial aid offers. Does anyone know if they are just saying this, or if it is actually true?

I'm not complaining or anything. I'm totally excited to have just gotten what I did. But it would still be nice to try and negotiate for more :)
The talk in this tread is that it's just posturing. You might be able to move it a little bit.
I doubt they'll negotiate much, but it also won't hurt to ask. Just don't be a dick about it.

jk148706

Gold

Post by jk148706 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:37 pm

So if I have no money from Michigan yet, should I try to solicit some at this point?

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:19 am

jk148706 wrote:So if I have no money from Michigan yet, should I try to solicit some at this point?
Do the need-based application first.

Workingtitle

New

Post by Workingtitle » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:07 pm

Cool. Thanks for the responses guys.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

HorseThief

Silver

Post by HorseThief » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:14 pm

Relevant for some folks in this thread:
Spivey wrote:Do not start talking about scholarship money. I have spoken with deans of admission who say it has already started and they are pretty peeved about it.
http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/timing ... nd-timing/

Workingtitle

New

Post by Workingtitle » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:40 pm

HorseThief wrote:Relevant for some folks in this thread:
Spivey wrote:Do not start talking about scholarship money. I have spoken with deans of admission who say it has already started and they are pretty peeved about it.
Thanks for this!

angels2fly

Bronze

Post by angels2fly » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:53 pm

checking in with joy

Backpacker

New

Post by Backpacker » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:48 pm

Summer Starters looking for a sublet- I have a nice, furnished, studio apartment near the law school. Can be available right after next semester's finals... I figured that is the route you all might try to go, with most leases starting in August. PM if interested!
Shameless Bump. Also happy to answer questions about Michigan.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

HOS

Bronze

Post by HOS » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:54 pm

midwest17 wrote:
jk148706 wrote:So if I have no money from Michigan yet, should I try to solicit some at this point?
Do the need-based application first.
Yes, especially since a merit scholarship will exclude you from need based aid.

leezabee

New

Post by leezabee » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:20 pm

Dumb question, but from reading the article, I'm not sure if they're referring to calling up admissions people to ask about scholarship money, or discussing scholarship offers openly on a forum like TLS. Can anyone clarify?

Come on Down

New

Post by Come on Down » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:36 pm

leezabee wrote:
Dumb question, but from reading the article, I'm not sure if they're referring to calling up admissions people to ask about scholarship money, or discussing scholarship offers openly on a forum like TLS. Can anyone clarify?
The former. I can't imagine admissions committees are sitting around reading these threads.

blackhawkfan

New

Post by blackhawkfan » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:01 pm

Hey guys,

Congrats on being accepted. I have one bedroom in a two bedroom apartment that I am looking to sublet for the summer. My roomate is not going to be here this summer, and it is likely you will have the entire apartment to yourself. It is in a fantastic location. It is an 8 minute walk to the law school and a 5 minute walk to Main St. (this is where most of the decent restaurants and grad school bars are). The apartment comes furnished, has overhead fans, and an air conditioner which was I found to be a lifesaver as a summer starter. Also, it is cat friendly. I have attached a link to some pictures of the apartment. Dates and prices are negotiable. http://umich.uloop.com/housing/view.php ... mer-Sublet

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thewaves

Bronze

Post by thewaves » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:47 pm

So who is visiting and when?!

angels2fly

Bronze

Post by angels2fly » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:47 am

thewaves wrote:So who is visiting and when?!
Definitely visiting! Have to figure out when.

HorseThief

Silver

Post by HorseThief » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:04 am

leezabee wrote:
Mike is referring to communications with the admissions/finaid office. You're always welcome to discuss schollys on TLS. Just be careful about how much personal info you give out. I know of one guy who had his admission revoked because he was openly talking about schollys on TLS and outed himself.

HorseThief

Silver

Post by HorseThief » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:05 am

thewaves wrote:So who is visiting and when?!
April ASW for me!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

yeslekkkk

Bronze

Post by yeslekkkk » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:17 am

MARCH ASW. I'll be there, and I'm coming early, leaving late.

rendlelaw

New

Post by rendlelaw » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:08 am

Not sure if this situation applies to the "Don't ask about scholarship money" issue. In the invitation email, I was told I'd have a decision about the Darrow within two weeks after my interview (two saturdays ago). I don't want to seem pushy and I'm sure they haven't forgotten about me, but on the other hand, I don't want them to think I don't care. How long until I should send a "Hey, what's the word?" email? I'm thinking the three week mark, right now.

thechancellor

Silver

Post by thechancellor » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:25 am

rendlelaw wrote:Not sure if this situation applies to the "Don't ask about scholarship money" issue. In the invitation email, I was told I'd have a decision about the Darrow within two weeks after my interview (two saturdays ago). I don't want to seem pushy and I'm sure they haven't forgotten about me, but on the other hand, I don't want them to think I don't care. How long until I should send a "Hey, what's the word?" email? I'm thinking the three week mark, right now.
3 weeks seems pretty safe, although if it was a Saturday they won't get back to you till the following Monday, obviously.

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:25 am

HorseThief wrote:
leezabee wrote:
Mike is referring to communications with the admissions/finaid office. You're always welcome to discuss schollys on TLS. Just be careful about how much personal info you give out. I know of one guy who had his admission revoked because he was openly talking about schollys on TLS and outed himself.
If you're thinking of who I'm thinking of, his admission wasn't revoked. Even if it's a different person, this story seems really unlikely. (Not that it isn't easy for admissions to out a lot of people, but revoking offers is hard.)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

chneyo

Bronze

Post by chneyo » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:41 am

Last edited by chneyo on Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andapieceoftoast

Bronze

Post by andapieceoftoast » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:55 am

Pro-tip from a 1L I know -- the March ASW is gonna be off da chain because it's the weekend of the auction. Apparently it gets crazy in a good way and Dean Z is out in full force being awesome. SEE YOU PEEPS THEREEEEE

thechancellor

Silver

Post by thechancellor » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:08 pm

Looks like I could get a super cheap flight to Ann Arbor for the March ASW, but would have to get in on Friday night. I know there isn't really a solid schedule out yet, but does anyone have any idea if it's even worth the trip/ if there are events Friday evening or Saturday?

yeslekkkk

Bronze

Post by yeslekkkk » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:39 pm

alex.cm wrote:Looks like I could get a super cheap flight to Ann Arbor for the March ASW, but would have to get in on Friday night. I know there isn't really a solid schedule out yet, but does anyone have any idea if it's even worth the trip/ if there are events Friday evening or Saturday?
The events start on Thursday, run solidly on Friday, and end midday on Saturday. It seems like there's no real point in going unless you can be there during the day on Friday.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”