Michigan Class of 2017

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
zen

Re: Michigan Class of 2017

Postby zen » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:00 pm

I got accepted a couple months ago I think and received my scholarship info last week sometime in the mail. Feel free to message me if you want any details.

samoby

Postby samoby » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:31 pm

Just got confirmation of my Lawyer's Club spot! Now, if only Michigan would give me a scholarship. Fingers crossed.

bryanjbay12

Postby bryanjbay12 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:04 pm

samoby wrote:Just got confirmation of my Lawyer's Club spot! Now, if only Michigan would give me a scholarship. Fingers crossed.

How do you go about reserving a spot?

SplitMyPants

Postby SplitMyPants » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:16 pm

bryanjbay12 wrote:
samoby wrote:Just got confirmation of my Lawyer's Club spot! Now, if only Michigan would give me a scholarship. Fingers crossed.

+1 I was wondering this as well

samoby

Postby samoby » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:22 pm

SplitMyPants wrote:
bryanjbay12 wrote:

You mail in the application that you can find online. It's awesome because it isn't binding. They just confirm you have a spot and you don't have to have sent in your deposit for the school yet. They mail out the leases in May apparently. I haven't 100% decided on Michigan, but it's definitely one of my top choices and I want to live in the Lawyer's Club if I do end up there so I wanted to lock that down.

http://www.law.umich.edu/lawyersclub/pa ... ult.aspx#3

SplitMyPants

Postby SplitMyPants » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:35 pm

samoby wrote:
SplitMyPants wrote:
bryanjbay12 wrote:

You mail in the application that you can find online. It's awesome because it isn't binding. They just confirm you have a spot and you don't have to have sent in your deposit for the school yet. They mail out the leases in May apparently. I haven't 100% decided on Michigan, but it's definitely one of my top choices and I want to live in the Lawyer's Club if I do end up there so I wanted to lock that down.

http://www.law.umich.edu/lawyersclub/pa ... ult.aspx#3

Great! Thanks for the info.

HorseThief

Postby HorseThief » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:01 am

One more thing about the Darrow interview that I should have said earlier- they never added me on Skype, so don't stress out if you don't see anything before your interview. The call that eventually came was from 'Michigan Law'.

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:23 am

HorseThief wrote:One more thing about the Darrow interview that I should have said earlier- they never added me on Skype, so don't stress out if you don't see anything before your interview. The call that eventually came was from 'Michigan Law'.

Can confirm.

lastsamurai

Postby lastsamurai » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:54 am

Had my interview over the past few days as well...feel free to pm me for details, but it was generally pretty laid back

Serett

Postby Serett » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:52 pm

Anyone know of any 1BR or Studio/Efficiency apartments (preferably furnished, but I'll manage either way) in Ann Arbor that they'd recommend? No strict price range, but obviously cheaper for a good base level of quality is always preferred.

LSBound2017

Postby LSBound2017 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:18 am

Serett wrote:Anyone know of any 1BR or Studio/Efficiency apartments (preferably furnished, but I'll manage either way) in Ann Arbor that they'd recommend? No strict price range, but obviously cheaper for a good base level of quality is always preferred.

I'm not from the area, so I'm not 100% sure, but Varsity Management looks like a good option for some one bedrooms and studios. Some of their units are furnished and include utilities in the price. Here's their website: http://www.varsitymanagement.com/rental_listings

SplitMyPants

Postby SplitMyPants » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:33 am

What's everyone here thinking of doing? Lawyer's Club or off campus? Lawyer's Club seems nice being so close to class and to other 1Ls. However, I'd really rather cook my own food than eat for $10 a meal...

omzster67

Postby omzster67 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:39 am

SplitMyPants wrote:What's everyone here thinking of doing? Lawyer's Club or off campus? Lawyer's Club seems nice being so close to class and to other 1Ls. However, I'd really rather cook my own food than eat for $10 a meal...

I was pretty dead set on the lawyers club until I saw the cost of living and the meal plan..

LSBound2017

Postby LSBound2017 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:43 am

SplitMyPants wrote:What's everyone here thinking of doing? Lawyer's Club or off campus? Lawyer's Club seems nice being so close to class and to other 1Ls. However, I'd really rather cook my own food than eat for $10 a meal...

Yeah it seems very expensive compared to other options; however, I think I'm just going to bite the cost for my first year for the sake of convenience/being around other students and then look for a more affordable option after.

SplitMyPants

Postby SplitMyPants » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:02 am

LSBound2017 wrote:

Yeah it seems very expensive compared to other options; however, I think I'm just going to bite the cost for my first year for the sake of convenience/being around other students and then look for a more affordable option after.

That's kind of what I'm leaning towards as well.

thechancellor

Postby thechancellor » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:19 pm

Keep in mind, grocery shopping in Ann Arbor is kind of a pain if you don't have a car.

Not impossible or anything like that, but there's no real grocery store within walking distance of campus, though busses do run to the Meijer/Kroger/Busch's. Definitely not a dealbreaker, and lots of people have cars in which you can catch rides, I just thought I'd throw this out for anyone who's used to being able to walk to a grocery store.

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:57 pm

Definitely want to live in the LC, but I never cook so it's perfect for me since I know I'll end up eating out at least once a day every day anyway

Entchen

Postby Entchen » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:48 pm

SplitMyPants wrote:
LSBound2017 wrote:

That's kind of what I'm leaning towards as well.

To echo DaftandDirect, you guys really should consider applying to Phid :) It has all of the benefits of the LC (meet people from a big cross section of the law school -- bigger, even, since we have 2Ls, 3Ls, and LLMs) and be very much a part of the law school community (we're a block away, and our housemates tend to be very involved), but it's a lot cheaper, and we have an awesome kitchen.

You can always request a room in the LC and they will hold the spot for you if you apply to Phid.

Also, I can always get a ride to the supermarket from one of my 11 housemates with cars.

thechancellor

Postby thechancellor » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:03 pm

Entchen wrote:To echo DaftandDirect, you guys really should consider applying to Phid :) It has all of the benefits of the LC (meet people from a big cross section of the law school -- bigger, even, since we have 2Ls, 3Ls, and LLMs) and be very much a part of the law school community (we're a block away, and our housemates tend to be very involved), but it's a lot cheaper, and we have an awesome kitchen.

You can always request a room in the LC and they will hold the spot for you if you apply to Phid.

Also, I can always get a ride to the supermarket from one of my 11 housemates with cars.

Do undergrads live in Phid, or are they just part of the fraternity aspect?

Entchen

Postby Entchen » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:57 am

alex.cm wrote:
Entchen wrote:To echo DaftandDirect, you guys really should consider applying to Phid :) It has all of the benefits of the LC (meet people from a big cross section of the law school -- bigger, even, since we have 2Ls, 3Ls, and LLMs) and be very much a part of the law school community (we're a block away, and our housemates tend to be very involved), but it's a lot cheaper, and we have an awesome kitchen.

No undergrad involvement at all. It is 25 law students (co-ed), a pretty even mix of 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls, and a couple of LLMs each year. That's it, we don't have "members" other than the people who live in the house. It really is not that fratty :)

yeslekkkk

Postby yeslekkkk » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:09 am

Entchen wrote:
alex.cm wrote:

No undergrad involvement at all. It is 25 law students (co-ed), a pretty even mix of 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls, and a couple of LLMs each year. That's it, we don't have "members" other than the people who live in the house. It really is not that fratty :)

and Phid house does summer sublets?

jk148706

Postby jk148706 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:36 am

Any links that can explain to me what, exactly, the lawyers club is

thechancellor

Postby thechancellor » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:17 am

Entchen wrote:
alex.cm wrote:

...y'know, I was going to say that I could swear I knew a bunch of undergrads who were members, but then I realized I was thinking of KAPi. My bad, question withdrawn!

That said, thanks for the answer, I didn't realize there were that few people. :)

thechancellor

Postby thechancellor » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:18 am

jk148706 wrote:Any links that can explain to me what, exactly, the lawyers club is

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=michigan+lawyers+club

Entchen

Postby Entchen » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:20 am

yeslekkkk wrote:
Entchen wrote:
alex.cm wrote:

and Phid house does summer sublets?

We do, and it's cheaper than during the academic year. If you come to ASW, they'll give you a pamphlet with summer sublet info with a bunch of apartments, houses, etc., and there will be details about Phid summer there. But basically, we do it on a first-come, first-served basis, so email phidboard@umich.edu if you want to be put on the list. Unfortunately, because we give priority to rooms over the summer to people who are currently living in them and spending summer in town and then to summer starters who will actually be joining Phid for the whole year, we don't generally know how many summer sublets we'll have available until around April. Still, we generally have around 3-5 summer sublettors every year.

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”