Michigan Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
thechancellor

Silver

Re: Michigan Class of 2017

Post by thechancellor » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:10 pm

The link still isn't working for me either. Whenever they work out the bug I'll be registering for march to hold my spot, although I'm not really sure I can justify the time off to visit my hometown, lol. I'd really just be going to meet potential future classmates. Which, don't get me wrong, I'd really like to do!!

HorseThief

Silver

Post by HorseThief » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:14 pm

Did you try the link from the e-mail? I was just able to register and looks like other people have already done so as well.

Also, is anyone else coming to the April ASW?

ZGr88n

Bronze

Post by ZGr88n » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:28 pm

How long after acceptance did most of you receive your packet?

samoby

Bronze

Post by samoby » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:47 pm

ZGr88n wrote:How long after acceptance did most of you receive your packet?
I was accepted a week ago and still haven't received anything...

californiauser

Silver

Post by californiauser » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:51 pm

What's the deal with Summer Starting? Do you pay an extra semester of tuition?

There seems to be more cons than pros. For example, if you graduate in December and you have a firm job lined up, you'll still have 9+ months before your start date, right?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:01 pm

californiauser wrote:What's the deal with Summer Starting? Do you pay an extra semester of tuition?

There seems to be more cons than pros. For example, if you graduate in December and you have a firm job lined up, you'll still have 9+ months before your start date, right?
It's set up so that you can graduate a semester early, so you pay the same amount in tuition. You can also take a semester off to do an internship or something else, and graduate with the rest of the class.

If you're BigLaw or bust, the main advantage is that you'll have an extra semester of grades come OCI, which could be helpful.

californiauser

Silver

Post by californiauser » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:05 pm

midwest17 wrote:
californiauser wrote:What's the deal with Summer Starting? Do you pay an extra semester of tuition?

It's set up so that you can graduate a semester early, so you pay the same amount in tuition. You can also take a semester off to do an internship or something else, and graduate with the rest of the class.

If you're BigLaw or bust, the main advantage is that you'll have an extra semester of grades come OCI, which could be helpful.
Interesting. I didn't know this was possible. Do lots of SS do this?

livefromannarbor

Bronze

Post by livefromannarbor » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:09 pm

I emailed to ask about the broken link. They said to use a different browser, and if you're a current student, not to use the current student log in (rather, use the birthday/UMID option). If that doesn't work, you should call them to register over telephone. I was able to access the page using Safari, but not Chrome, but that may have been a fluke.

Looking forward to seeing you guys in March!

admiringatticus

Bronze

Post by admiringatticus » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:22 pm

My status checker changed to IN! this morning! Very excited! >75 GPA, one point above 75th LSAT.

Just wondering whether your scholarship amounts on ASW showed up at the same time as your status checker changed? Mine doesn't have any awards listed so if that's the final decision, that kind of sucks. :|

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:28 pm

californiauser wrote:
midwest17 wrote:

Interesting. I didn't know this was possible. Do lots of SS do this?
Michigan Law wrote:Another advantage is increased scheduling flexibility, with the potential for beginning the practice of law a half year earlier than would otherwise be possible. That is, because they begin their law school education in June, most summer starters complete their sixth semester in December, effectively accelerating their legal education to allow them to graduate a full semester ahead of the typical May date. And at Michigan, this acceleration is achieved without the necessity of sacrificing the crucial career opportunities of two summers in which to pursue legal work (as opposed to having long-term employment prospects turn on a single summer, as is required by the similar “two-year” programs recently instituted at a few other law schools). But while graduating early is the most frequent choice, summer starters also have the option of taking a semester off during law school and graduating with the rest of their class in May of their third year. Still others choose to attend an additional semester and graduate in May in order to pursue a dual degree or complete additional law coursework.
So it sounds like it's not the most common choice, but it does happen.

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:31 pm

admiringatticus wrote:My status checker changed to IN! this morning! Very excited! >75 GPA, one point above 75th LSAT.

Just wondering whether your scholarship amounts on ASW showed up at the same time as your status checker changed? Mine doesn't have any awards listed so if that's the final decision, that kind of sucks. :|
Scholarships have not been showing up immediately, no. Also, with your stats you might be in the running for a Darrow. That won't show up under awards -- instead, you'll get an email inviting you to sign up for an interview. Mine came a bit more than a week after I got in, though I think sometimes it takes longer than that. (It does show up in the "Admissions Communications" section eventually, but I don't think that happened right away.)

thechancellor

Silver

Post by thechancellor » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:02 pm

livefromannarbor wrote:I emailed to ask about the broken link. They said to use a different browser, and if you're a current student, not to use the current student log in (rather, use the birthday/UMID option). If that doesn't work, you should call them to register over telephone. I was able to access the page using Safari, but not Chrome, but that may have been a fluke.

Looking forward to seeing you guys in March!
Oh, thank you!! this is totally what I was doing. Working for me now!
samoby wrote:
ZGr88n wrote:How long after acceptance did most of you receive your packet?
I was accepted a week ago and still haven't received anything...
It took mine 3 weeks, despite the supposed mail date of 1 week post-status change. I wouldn't stress, especially since there's not much there - 2 sheets of paper and a flash drive.

Gold

Post by 04102014 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:20 pm

chneyo wrote:Checkin' in! What up classmates? :D
ilu

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

californiauser

Silver

Post by californiauser » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:32 pm

What's the deal with the facebook page? Will the school create one? Is there already one?

emaytch

New

Post by emaytch » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:49 pm

Checking in! Got in Saturday morning! Really excited about meeting some of you at the March 20th-22nd ASW!

Irn Bru

New

Post by Irn Bru » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:15 pm

Checking in.

I'm not 100%, but when I applied I believe I checked a box marked Summer or Fall start, but my acceptance letter seemed pretty specific that I was offered for the summer. I now know definitively that I can't start during the summer so anyone know if it's an issue to switch? I figure there shouldn't be since the summer start seems popular, but I can't find anything about how to switch.

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:21 pm

Irn Bru wrote:Checking in.

I'm not 100%, but when I applied I believe I checked a box marked Summer or Fall start, but my acceptance letter seemed pretty specific that I was offered for the summer. I now know definitively that I can't start during the summer so anyone know if it's an issue to switch? I figure there shouldn't be since the summer start seems popular, but I can't find anything about how to switch.
Email admissions and ask. There's no set procedure, and they don't guarantee that you can switch, but I doubt they'll give you too much trouble.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

hweigel

New

Post by hweigel » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:27 pm

How do they decide if the student will start in the summer or fall? I have been assigned to start in the fall but I'd rather start in the summer to have warmer weather (CA girl afraid of the cold haha).

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:30 pm

hweigel wrote:How do they decide if the student will start in the summer or fall? I have been assigned to start in the fall but I'd rather start in the summer to have warmer weather (CA girl afraid of the cold haha).
:lol:

Did you select summer start on your application? The process seems mysterious -- an attempt to create a cohesive but diverse summer start class, whatever that means. You can always email them and ask, though.

Irn Bru

New

Post by Irn Bru » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:32 pm

hweigel wrote:How do they decide if the student will start in the summer or fall? I have been assigned to start in the fall but I'd rather start in the summer to have warmer weather (CA girl afraid of the cold haha).
Wanna trade with a Bostonian who just LOVES negative temps?

chneyo

Bronze

Post by chneyo » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:32 pm

Last edited by chneyo on Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ZGr88n

Bronze

Post by ZGr88n » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:52 pm

I haven't received my packet yet, but I have a feeling I was accepted summer start (I put that I could do either on my app, if I remember correctly).

waferthinmint

Bronze

Post by waferthinmint » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:44 am

Whoa, just came home to a large package from Michigan! How could this development in the status checker world have slipped past my radar?! Anyway, helloooo Ann Arbor!
Last edited by waferthinmint on Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wolverine^2

New

Post by wolverine^2 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:31 am

Hey all,

I'm a little late to the game so apologies if this has already been asked...I'm starting at Michigan this summer after deferring last year. For those of you that are starting in the summer/have talked to summer starters/were a summer starter, what are you doing about housing? I'm debating if it makes more sense to try to sublet a place for 3 months during the summer semester and then move into the Lawyer's Club, or if I should just find a place with a lease starting in May that I can stay in the full year.

Congrats to all the new admits! Go Blue!

thechancellor

Silver

Post by thechancellor » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:35 am

ZGr88n wrote:I haven't received my packet yet, but I have a feeling I was accepted summer start (I put that I could do either on my app, if I remember correctly).
It'll say on your pages of the accepted students website, under personal award info. Eg, mine says "Admit term: Spring/Summer 2014"

Re: summer housing, it's easy to find cheap sublets near the law quad, since there's so much student housing around there - no guarantee on quality, obviously, but there's lots of options. If you look a little further out (think a 10-15 minute walk) you should be able to find may leases as well. In my experience as an undergrad, the housing that's closer in to the main campus goes too quickly to think that any of us law students will nab it. I guess what i'm trying to say is it's really up to you/your housing goals. I have no desire to live in the lawyers club, so I'll look for leases that start in may. I'm sure other Ann Arborites will chime in soon and offer their thoughts on this too. :)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”