Michigan Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
thechancellor

Silver

Re: Michigan Class of 2017

Post by thechancellor » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:49 am

OfThriceandTen wrote:
alex.cm wrote:
CookieDough wrote: Thanks for the suggestions! Any idea where online to find any of this? I'm not able to go back to check places out for a few months.
Oof. I knew that question was coming next, and I kind of avoided it mostly because, even as a native, I have trouble tracking down those kind of properties. I know mlive.com has listings. I've never had any success with ann arbor craigslist, but it's worth keeping an eye out. When I was living there I would wander around and just call the numbers listed on the rental signs on houses, but obviously thats not an option. This is kind of a lot of legwork, but it might be worth trying to hit up some of the subletters and asking who owns the property, and calling around.

I know there are a couple other ann arborites who're here, hopefully one of them will chime in with other suggestions!
There's a platform developed by a Michigan undergrad that I have found really useful actually - https://www.cribspot.com/rental/Univers ... -Ann_Arbor. I think it culls from all of the property management sites as well as places like craigslist and padmapper.

Pet friendly places include Woodbury Gardens, Woodland Mews, Lake Village, and Briar Cove. We looked at all of those and ended up with a townhome at Miller Maple. Since I've seen a lot of these places, feel free to PM if you want to know my impressions about any of the big developments.
Woah, cribspot seems great. I've never seen this before, so I'm assuming it's new (as in from the last 2 years)?

livefromannarbor

Bronze

Post by livefromannarbor » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:20 am

alex.cm wrote:
OfThriceandTen wrote:
alex.cm wrote:
CookieDough wrote: Thanks for the suggestions! Any idea where online to find any of this? I'm not able to go back to check places out for a few months.
Oof. I knew that question was coming next, and I kind of avoided it mostly because, even as a native, I have trouble tracking down those kind of properties. I know mlive.com has listings. I've never had any success with ann arbor craigslist, but it's worth keeping an eye out. When I was living there I would wander around and just call the numbers listed on the rental signs on houses, but obviously thats not an option. This is kind of a lot of legwork, but it might be worth trying to hit up some of the subletters and asking who owns the property, and calling around.

I know there are a couple other ann arborites who're here, hopefully one of them will chime in with other suggestions!
There's a platform developed by a Michigan undergrad that I have found really useful actually - https://www.cribspot.com/rental/Univers ... -Ann_Arbor. I think it culls from all of the property management sites as well as places like craigslist and padmapper.

Pet friendly places include Woodbury Gardens, Woodland Mews, Lake Village, and Briar Cove. We looked at all of those and ended up with a townhome at Miller Maple. Since I've seen a lot of these places, feel free to PM if you want to know my impressions about any of the big developments.
Woah, cribspot seems great. I've never seen this before, so I'm assuming it's new (as in from the last 2 years)?
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's new in the last year or so (or at least that's when they first started promoting it).

CTT

Bronze

Post by CTT » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:52 am

californiauser wrote:Anyone have an idea about the target size of the class of 17?
Last I heard, they were expecting a drop towards 270 over the next couple years. '16 was like 318 or something to start, down from like 360. Expect it to be in the neighborhood of 300, which is going to mean sections of 70-75. Each semester, you'll have two classes with that group, one class with half (so 37), and your legal practice with 18 or so. In reality, they're probably as concerned with hitting the LSAT median as hitting an exact class size.

Serett

Post by Serett » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:04 am

I'm visiting today on my way to Cornell's ASW. The law school is gorgeous, as expected, but the streets of downtown Ann Arbor have sure seen better days.

DaftAndDirect

Bronze

Post by DaftAndDirect » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:47 pm

Hey Guys,

Just a reminder for those of you interested in living at the Phid House.

Application Deadline: The deadline for applying to live in the house is April 11th at midnight. You can access the application on our website: http://www.phidhouse.org/.

Summer Living: Some of you expressed interest in living in Phid over the summer. If you are interested in subletting with us, and you didn't get the chance to let us know on our sign-in sheet, then please PM me as soon as possible so that I can put you on our wait list.

Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

OliveBC

Bronze

Post by OliveBC » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:04 pm

Officially withdrew. Bye bye hogwarts :cry: Hopefully my scholly $ goes to one of you guys!

yeslekkkk

Bronze

Post by yeslekkkk » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:24 pm

Michigan denied my scholarship request. Adios michigan. Your education isn't worth that much to me. Checking out!

Serett

Post by Serett » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:34 pm

Serett wrote:I'm visiting today on my way to Cornell's ASW. The law school is gorgeous, as expected, but the streets of downtown Ann Arbor have sure seen better days.
Admissions gave me a class to view that didn't even meet today :lol:

thechancellor

Silver

Post by thechancellor » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:44 pm

Serett wrote:
Serett wrote:I'm visiting today on my way to Cornell's ASW. The law school is gorgeous, as expected, but the streets of downtown Ann Arbor have sure seen better days.
Admissions gave me a class to view that didn't even meet today :lol:
Standard Michigan tomfoolery

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thechancellor

Silver

Post by thechancellor » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:44 pm

yeslekkkk wrote:Michigan denied my scholarship request. Adios michigan. Your education isn't worth that much to me. Checking out!
Someone take the OP.

And actually put up some goddamn pics.

capt_slow

Bronze

Post by capt_slow » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:14 pm

I would be willing, how does one go about doing so?

anyriotgirl

Platinum

Post by anyriotgirl » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:25 pm

capt_slow wrote:I would be willing, how does one go about doing so?
ask the mods in the lounge thread

yeslekkkk

Bronze

Post by yeslekkkk » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:50 pm

alex.cm wrote:
yeslekkkk wrote:Michigan denied my scholarship request. Adios michigan. Your education isn't worth that much to me. Checking out!
Someone take the OP.

And actually put up some goddamn pics.
This was rude. However, I will gladly give up the OP. I'm not sure how.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Nomo

Silver

Post by Nomo » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:14 pm

Serett wrote:
Really? I've been gone a couple years, but I always thought the South Main Street area was great . . . though many of the places to eat aren't super friendly on a student budget. East University and State Street weren't exactly nice, but I didn't think they were different from any the on-campus streets near any other major college town. What was wrong with it?

yost

Bronze

Post by yost » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:21 pm

Nomo wrote:
Serett wrote:
Really? I've been gone a couple years, but I always thought the South Main Street area was great . . . though many of the places to eat aren't super friendly on a student budget. East University and State Street weren't exactly nice, but I didn't think they were different from any the on-campus streets near any other major college town. What was wrong with it?
Maybe Serett was using "streets" literally. As in the asphalt/concrete that cars drive on. The potholes in Michigan are egregious right now...

Serett

Post by Serett » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:29 am

yost wrote:
Nomo wrote:
Serett wrote:
Maybe Serett was using "streets" literally. As in the asphalt/concrete that cars drive on. The potholes in Michigan are egregious right now...
This. I definitely have no complaints about what's in Ann Arbor (not that I had time for anything), but I meant the roads, themselves.

umichman

Bronze

Post by umichman » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:39 am

Im not sure if this was already asked...but how long after you submitted your fafsa did loan offers show up on the asw?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

yost

Bronze

Post by yost » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:35 pm

Mine took four days I believe.

thechancellor

Silver

Post by thechancellor » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:01 pm

Serett wrote:
yost wrote:
Nomo wrote:
This. I definitely have no complaints about what's in Ann Arbor (not that I had time for anything), but I meant the roads, themselves.
So accurate. At least they finally fixed the bridge going toward the stadium - 2 of the 4 lanes were closed for a while because it wasn't safe for that many cars at once.

williamsme90

New

Post by williamsme90 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:23 pm

Summer starters with scholarships - is there a scholarship amount showing up for you on Wolverine Access for the summer semester? Did I miss something about merit scholarships not applying to the summer semester, or is there a glitch with my account?

CaptainApathy419

New

Post by CaptainApathy419 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:32 am

Hey everyone, I put down my deposit, and I'll be starting in the fall! What are people thinking as far as housing? I'm on the fence about the Lawyers Club.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thechancellor

Silver

Post by thechancellor » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:03 am

williamsme90 wrote:Summer starters with scholarships - is there a scholarship amount showing up for you on Wolverine Access for the summer semester? Did I miss something about merit scholarships not applying to the summer semester, or is there a glitch with my account?
They'll apply - mine originally listed 2 semesters worth of an award and now lists 3 semesters worth. If yours doesn't I'd probably go ahead and give them a call, but I'm paranoid like that.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:50 pm

Hey everyone, congrats on your accomplishments this cycle! Once you've decided on a school, make your way over to the TLS Class of 2017 thread http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 8&t=227952 to let everyone know where you're going.

ktrey29

New

Post by ktrey29 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:43 pm

Anyone know of dog-friendly housing on or near campus in Ann Arbor?

ZGr88n

Bronze

Post by ZGr88n » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:49 pm

It's like the awkward silence before an undergrad class ITT.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”