Michigan Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
AceDeuces

Bronze

Re: Michigan Class of 2017

Post by AceDeuces » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:00 pm

Having gone to undergrad at UMich, I never minded the IM building despite having to wait to get home to shower. The weightlifting area is quite large. There's a rock-climbing wall. Huge basketball gym. Treadmills, bikes, etc. upstairs. Admittedly it is not the most updated building. But it gets the job done.

I do agree about the CCRB however. Way to busy. Not enough space for how busy it is. The NCRB is not bad though (played basketball there with the Secretary of Education once), but you have to take the bus up there.

As far as Rick's go, you can commingle with just about anyone you want there, so long as you don't mind wading through a half inch of "water" to do so.

Vexed

Bronze

Post by Vexed » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:07 pm

Clemson772 wrote:
Vexed wrote:Finally got my scholarship letter, $75k, no longer eligible for need based grants.

Leaning pretty hard to Michigan at this point.
How long, after acceptance, did you have to wait?
A little over a week before I noticed it on the ASW, finalized in a mailed letter arriving about a day after that.

lakers180

Bronze

Post by lakers180 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:44 am

hey everyone im checking in, will be at the march asw, look forward to meeting you all

is there a michigan class of 2017 fb group?

juno13

New

Post by juno13 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:57 am

Any current students out there who can speak to the Lawyers Club? -- whether it's worth it and if so, whether one should opt for the private bathroom over the semi-private? Thanks!

jrthor10

Bronze

Post by jrthor10 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:13 am

juno13 wrote:Any current students out there who can speak to the Lawyers Club? -- whether it's worth it and if so, whether one should opt for the private bathroom over the semi-private? Thanks!
Definitely worth it. LC is extremely convenient, and on cold days (we've had a lot of them recently) it's nice to walk 30 seconds outside to get to your room as opposed to 10-15+ minutes. Also the common rooms are great, and usually people hang out there before heading out on the weekends.

I have the pvt. bathroom option and actually have the "premium" room size. I had been out of college for 3 years, and so I wanted something that felt a bit more like an apartment than a dorm room. The premium size room and pvt. bathroom definitely do the job. That said, I have some friends with the shared bathroom option and it works just fine for them. I haven't heard of any issues there.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

juno13

New

Post by juno13 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:38 am

jrthor10 wrote:
juno13 wrote:Any current students out there who can speak to the Lawyers Club? -- whether it's worth it and if so, whether one should opt for the private bathroom over the semi-private? Thanks!
Definitely worth it. LC is extremely convenient, and on cold days (we've had a lot of them recently) it's nice to walk 30 seconds outside to get to your room as opposed to 10-15+ minutes. Also the common rooms are great, and usually people hang out there before heading out on the weekends.

I have the pvt. bathroom option and actually have the "premium" room size. I had been out of college for 3 years, and so I wanted something that felt a bit more like an apartment than a dorm room. The premium size room and pvt. bathroom definitely do the job. That said, I have some friends with the shared bathroom option and it works just fine for them. I haven't heard of any issues there.
Mmm makes sense! Thanks for the quick response, jrthor!

bombaysippin

Gold

Post by bombaysippin » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:47 am

For the housing application, is it snail mail only?

stewart23

New

Post by stewart23 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:13 pm

Checking in! For those of you who haven't visited, U of M's Law Quad is beautiful!

rachellen

New

Post by rachellen » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:44 pm

jrthor10 wrote:

Pretty sure I know the answer to this without even asking, but, uh... cats allowed in LC? :) >^..^<

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thechancellor

Silver

Post by thechancellor » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:14 pm

OfThriceandTen wrote:Lol. Law school students do not have to be sponsored and $150/semester seems accurate. It's small but if you aren't a fan of run-down gyms it's worth the cost. The free-for-students gyms on campus are old and grimy. There is a lot more choice in terms of equipment, but if you're a person who will not be motivated to go to a place unless it's nice, they're not going to do it for you. As for personal preference, I despise the CCRB and harbor mild to moderate resentment for the IM building, although I have used it this semester to save money and because I've been too busy a lot of times to even make time for the gym. IM gym doesn't have locker rooms, e.g., or showers, or anything you would think of when you think of gym perks. If you just want to go and run inside, though, or shoot hoops or play racquetball or lift weights, though, it's good for all of that. The school gives passes out during ASW that can be used for CCRB and IM too I think. I used mine on CCRB and have not gone back since. But if you're worried about gyms you should do that.

As for fraternizing with b-schoolers, I mean, the med school is a better bet for husband hunting, but there are a few lawlgirls who have found their Ross soulmates. The schools put on mixers and speed dating events together (law and business and med, in various combinations). Some Ross kids and other non-law students take some classes at the law school, and vice versa you can take Ross classes. But I'm sure the majority of interdisciplinary commingling happens at Ricks.
Did not know this, but that's great. Doctor/Lawyer winning combo, here I come.

...But only if we go to Ricks, that's also credited.

logical seasoning

Bronze

Post by logical seasoning » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:14 pm

Is anyone going to the reception tomorrow in SF? I am pretty excited. I would be even more excited if anyone in the Davis/ Sacramento area would like to carpool

capt_slow

Bronze

Post by capt_slow » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:07 pm

Anyone ITT going to the March ASW?

parvaticatil

New

Post by parvaticatil » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:38 pm

Bajam wrote:For the housing application, is it snail mail only?
Nope, I emailed my LC app and got a response in like a day.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

samoby

Bronze

Post by samoby » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:26 pm

capt_slow wrote:Anyone ITT going to the March ASW?
I am! Very excited to see campus, but won't arrive until like 11pm Thursday, unfortunately.

twobitrye

New

Post by twobitrye » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:03 pm

Have any Darrow awardees received a formal letter yet?

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:14 pm

twobitrye wrote:Have any Darrow awardees received a formal letter yet?
Yes. I don't remember when it actually arrived, but it's dated about a week after I got the call from Dean Z.

At some point it should show up in the "Admissions Communication" section of the ASW as well.

logical seasoning

Bronze

Post by logical seasoning » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:16 am

The need based aid form is up on the ASW

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

juno13

New

Post by juno13 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:38 pm

So excited for the March ASW!

Question: if we use Michigan flyer (http://www.michiganflyer.com/LocationsParking.aspx) to get from the airport to campus/our hotel, do we need to book it beforehand? And if so, where should we be dropped off? The options are: Kensington Court Hotel, "Door Dropoff with Michigan Flyer," and Blake Transit Center.

Thanks!

tammany

New

Post by tammany » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:39 pm

Checking in. Hello!

"You will not be eligible..." At least they're quick about it.

Everything about Michigan makes me very excited about the opportunity to go there. Even if I'm admitted at Chicago or Columbia (with a scholarship that equals or exceeds Michigan's offer), I'll probably end up in Ann Arbor. But there is one thing that is a little over the top: their recruiting! They go way further than any other school. I want to think of it as a good thing. Who doesn't like to be told that they're amazing? But it seems a bit like desperation. Other schools have offered to put me in touch with students (I got a form letter from a couple of Columbia students in an organization they thought I'd like, with an offer to communicate), but no one but Michigan has been so enthusiastic in their desire to promote themselves. I think it's a positive aspect of the school, but I sort of wonder if Michigan is really worried that they won't make their yield projection, and I'm not sure that is a good thing. USNWR rankings ruin everything...

thechancellor

Silver

Post by thechancellor » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:56 pm

tammany wrote:Checking in. Hello!

Everything about Michigan makes me very excited about the opportunity to go there. Even if I'm admitted at Chicago or Columbia (with a scholarship that equals or exceeds Michigan's offer), I'll probably end up in Ann Arbor. But there is one thing that is a little over the top: their recruiting! They go way further than any other school. I want to think of it as a good thing. Who doesn't like to be told that they're amazing? But it seems a bit like desperation. Other schools have offered to put me in touch with students (I got a form letter from a couple of Columbia students in an organization they thought I'd like, with an offer to communicate), but no one but Michigan has been so enthusiastic in their desire to promote themselves. I think it's a positive aspect of the school, but I sort of wonder if Michigan is really worried that they won't make their yield projection, and I'm not sure that is a good thing. USNWR rankings ruin everything...
I think you're overthinking it.

tammany

New

Post by tammany » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:41 pm

alex.cm wrote:
tammany wrote:Checking in. Hello!

I think you're overthinking it.
Fair. I'll drop the YP desperation suggestion. But they do like to tell you how amazing the place is more than anyone else. I think they just want to highlight the architecture and Ann Arbor as a bohemian bourgeois wonderland. Both fair reasons to bombard me with fancy magazines and phone calls.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

samoby

Bronze

Post by samoby » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:09 pm

juno13 wrote:So excited for the March ASW!

Question: if we use Michigan flyer (http://www.michiganflyer.com/LocationsParking.aspx) to get from the airport to campus/our hotel, do we need to book it beforehand? And if so, where should we be dropped off? The options are: Kensington Court Hotel, "Door Dropoff with Michigan Flyer," and Blake Transit Center.

Thanks!
I booked mine beforehand, but I'm not sure if you need to. I called the Michigan Flyer people and they said to select Blake Transit Center because it was closest to campus. HTH!

AceDeuces

Bronze

Post by AceDeuces » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:03 am

Thanks!
It depends on where your hotel is. BTC is right downtown, and not really close to any of the hotels that you are likely staying in, but it is the closest to campus. Check where your hotel is, pick based on that, and you can probably get a really cheap cab from there to your hotel, as taxis are generally really cheap in Ann Arbor.

juno13

New

Post by juno13 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:19 pm

AceDeuces wrote:

Thanks!
It depends on where your hotel is. BTC is right downtown, and not really close to any of the hotels that you are likely staying in, but it is the closest to campus. Check where your hotel is, pick based on that, and you can probably get a really cheap cab from there to your hotel, as taxis are generally really cheap in Ann Arbor.
Perfect. Grazie, samoby and acedueces.

thechancellor

Silver

Post by thechancellor » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:23 pm

juno13 wrote:
AceDeuces wrote:

Thanks!
Perfect. Grazie, samoby and acedueces.
i mean if they'll drop you off at the hotel I don't see any reason not to do that unless they charge more.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”