Michigan Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
kershka

Silver

Re: Michigan Class of 2017

Post by kershka » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:38 pm

lastsamurai wrote:Seriously sucks to let Dean Z down, but I withdrew my app recently...hoping this frees up some money for one of you! Checking out of this thread, but best of luck to those of you still deciding! Michigan seems like a great place to be.
Checking out as well and I hope my scholly money goes to a TLSer! Good luck to the rest of you!

bhs12

Bronze

Post by bhs12 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:02 am

kershka wrote:
lastsamurai wrote:Seriously sucks to let Dean Z down, but I withdrew my app recently...hoping this frees up some money for one of you! Checking out of this thread, but best of luck to those of you still deciding! Michigan seems like a great place to be.
Checking out as well and I hope my scholly money goes to a TLSer! Good luck to the rest of you!
Ditto

californiauser

Silver

Post by californiauser » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:48 am

has anyone who has given mich a competing scholarship offer heard back yet?

arivtal

New

Post by arivtal » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:58 am

californiauser wrote:has anyone who has given mich a competing scholarship offer heard back yet?
I have. Was offered zero at first. Came at them with money from lower-T14 and big money from t-15 and they gave me 15k/year.

Still not sure if Michigan trumps zero-debt from Vanderbilt for someone as unsure about where and in what I want to work as I am.

168 and Int'l Superior

Good luck!

anneshirley

New

Post by anneshirley » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:02 pm

californiauser wrote:has anyone who has given mich a competing scholarship offer heard back yet?

Yeah, they got back to me three days after I sent the request. I originally didn't get any merit aid.
Last edited by anneshirley on Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

anyriotgirl

Platinum

Post by anyriotgirl » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:05 pm

has anyone had any success getting them to raise an initial offer? feel free to PM me

CookieDough

Bronze

Post by CookieDough » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:28 pm

anyriotgirl wrote:has anyone had any success getting them to raise an initial offer? feel free to PM me
This is relevant to my interests...

lost0L

New

Post by lost0L » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:15 pm

Any other summer starters who still don't have loans listed on their financial award? I have a need-based grant and a small merit scholarship, but nothing about loans.

Serett

Post by Serett » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:27 pm

lost0L wrote:Any other summer starters who still don't have loans listed on their financial award? I have a need-based grant and a small merit scholarship, but nothing about loans.
I still only have the merit scholarship listed out there. I'm getting a bit concerned but figured it doesn't ultimately matter for another week or two.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dusters

Bronze

Post by dusters » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:28 pm

Has anyone who applied ED and received no aid had any luck negotiating one? Seems like an impossible scenario since you have no leverage but I'm willing to try anything at this point.

lost0L

New

Post by lost0L » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:29 pm

Serett wrote:
lost0L wrote:Any other summer starters who still don't have loans listed on their financial award? I have a need-based grant and a small merit scholarship, but nothing about loans.
I still only have the merit scholarship listed out there. I'm getting a bit concerned but figured it doesn't ultimately matter for another week or two.
Happy I'm not the only one still waiting. Hopefully they'll get it out to us this week
Last edited by lost0L on Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheRealJoshuaLyman

New

Post by TheRealJoshuaLyman » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:46 pm

Does the deposit deadline for Michigan change with merit aid? I couldn't find a date on my scholarship letter or on the financial aid website, so am I safe to assume that it is the same date (4-30) as it would have been without merit aid? I know that some schools have earlier deposit deadlines so that they can offer the money to someone else if you decide not to go there. Thanks!

HorseThief

Silver

Post by HorseThief » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:07 pm

TheRealJoshuaLyman wrote:Does the deposit deadline for Michigan change with merit aid? I couldn't find a date on my scholarship letter or on the financial aid website, so am I safe to assume that it is the same date (4-30) as it would have been without merit aid? I know that some schools have earlier deposit deadlines so that they can offer the money to someone else if you decide not to go there. Thanks!
It's the same date, all you need to do is e-mail Dean Z.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TheRealJoshuaLyman

New

Post by TheRealJoshuaLyman » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:04 am

HorseThief wrote:
TheRealJoshuaLyman wrote:Does the deposit deadline for Michigan change with merit aid? I couldn't find a date on my scholarship letter or on the financial aid website, so am I safe to assume that it is the same date (4-30) as it would have been without merit aid? I know that some schools have earlier deposit deadlines so that they can offer the money to someone else if you decide not to go there. Thanks!
It's the same date, all you need to do is e-mail Dean Z.
Awesome, thanks!

midwestlawstudent

New

Post by midwestlawstudent » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:26 pm

Summer Starters: please contact me if anyone is looking for a reasonably priced house in Kerrytown (12 minute walk from the law school) for 1-8 people!

Great for a group of summer starters!

CookieDough

Bronze

Post by CookieDough » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:28 pm

Does anyone have insight into renting in Ann Arbor with pets? I have two cats and a dog. Most places I've found so far seem to have a 2 pet policy...

thechancellor

Silver

Post by thechancellor » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:50 pm

CookieDough wrote:Does anyone have insight into renting in Ann Arbor with pets? I have two cats and a dog. Most places I've found so far seem to have a 2 pet policy...
Try looking a hair further away from campus, especially toward the Burns Park area which tends to be a bit more residential. Also, if you can, try and find small-scale renters, they'll likely be more willing to negotiate on that.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

CookieDough

Bronze

Post by CookieDough » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:45 pm

alex.cm wrote:
CookieDough wrote:Does anyone have insight into renting in Ann Arbor with pets? I have two cats and a dog. Most places I've found so far seem to have a 2 pet policy...
Try looking a hair further away from campus, especially toward the Burns Park area which tends to be a bit more residential. Also, if you can, try and find small-scale renters, they'll likely be more willing to negotiate on that.
Thanks for the suggestions! Any idea where online to find any of this? I'm not able to go back to check places out for a few months.

thechancellor

Silver

Post by thechancellor » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:38 pm

CookieDough wrote:
alex.cm wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions! Any idea where online to find any of this? I'm not able to go back to check places out for a few months.
Oof. I knew that question was coming next, and I kind of avoided it mostly because, even as a native, I have trouble tracking down those kind of properties. I know mlive.com has listings. I've never had any success with ann arbor craigslist, but it's worth keeping an eye out. When I was living there I would wander around and just call the numbers listed on the rental signs on houses, but obviously thats not an option. This is kind of a lot of legwork, but it might be worth trying to hit up some of the subletters and asking who owns the property, and calling around.

I know there are a couple other ann arborites who're here, hopefully one of them will chime in with other suggestions!

OfThriceandTen

Bronze

Post by OfThriceandTen » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:30 pm

alex.cm wrote:
CookieDough wrote:
alex.cm wrote:
Oof. I knew that question was coming next, and I kind of avoided it mostly because, even as a native, I have trouble tracking down those kind of properties. I know mlive.com has listings. I've never had any success with ann arbor craigslist, but it's worth keeping an eye out. When I was living there I would wander around and just call the numbers listed on the rental signs on houses, but obviously thats not an option. This is kind of a lot of legwork, but it might be worth trying to hit up some of the subletters and asking who owns the property, and calling around.

I know there are a couple other ann arborites who're here, hopefully one of them will chime in with other suggestions!
There's a platform developed by a Michigan undergrad that I have found really useful actually - https://www.cribspot.com/rental/Univers ... -Ann_Arbor. I think it culls from all of the property management sites as well as places like craigslist and padmapper.

Pet friendly places include Woodbury Gardens, Woodland Mews, Lake Village, and Briar Cove.
Last edited by OfThriceandTen on Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

livefromannarbor

Bronze

Post by livefromannarbor » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:40 pm

alex.cm wrote:
CookieDough wrote:
alex.cm wrote:

It's tough. I was looking for a place that would allow me to get a dog, but had a hell of a time finding pet friendly options in general. You could check out cribspot.com, a newish site that seems to be accurate (I think). Generally, though, you'll have to look farther off campus to find what you're looking for. Cappo/Deinco is usually good about pets, at least from what I've seen. The biggest issue you'll have, though, is that most places on campus were rented back in November/December, because that's how the cycle works here. So, you're looking for an uncommon feature in a sparse market at this point. Again, looking farther off of campus will probably be your best bet, at least for the upcoming year. Then, you can look again in November to see what the area really has available.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

CookieDough

Bronze

Post by CookieDough » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:24 pm

Thanks guys! I'll look into it and hopefully can find something!

stewart23

New

Post by stewart23 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:31 pm

Last edited by stewart23 on Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thelaststraw05

Silver

Post by thelaststraw05 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:02 pm

If anyone is still looking for housing for the summer (through August 15th when the lease is up), please feel free to shoot me a line:

--LinkRemoved--

ETA: You'd be living with two graduated 3Ls busy studying for the bar.

californiauser

Silver

Post by californiauser » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:00 pm

Anyone have an idea about the target size of the class of 17?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”