Columbia Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)

When will you be moving in / to NYC?

Already in the city / before end of June
8%
Early or mid-July
2%
End of July
10%
August 1~4
14%
August 5~8
24%
August 9~12
24%
August 13~15
12%
After August 15, because IDGAF
8%

Total votes: 51

drevo

Bronze

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Post by drevo » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:04 pm

Called the Financial Aid office to check on an appeal I sent about a week ago. They said it's under review and they hope to respond by the deposit deadline but can't guarantee it. If they don't respond by Thursday don't they effectively "pocket veto," if you will, my attempts at negotiation since I either have to submit a binding deposit or pass up my admissions offer?

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:31 pm

Theopliske8711 wrote:I'm actually looking forward to livin close to campus. I've been living at least 45 mins from my work for the past 2 years. The daily commute blows.
Yeah commuting sucks, I'm totally over it, but I'm also totally unwilling to move :/

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:32 pm

drevo wrote:Called the Financial Aid office to check on an appeal I sent about a week ago. They said it's under review and they hope to respond by the deposit deadline but can't guarantee it. If they don't respond by Thursday don't they effectively "pocket veto," if you will, my attempts at negotiation since I either have to submit a binding deposit or pass up my admissions offer?
Ask for an extension until you get the final word!

drevo

Bronze

Post by drevo » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:55 pm

francesfarmer wrote:
drevo wrote:Called the Financial Aid office to check on an appeal I sent about a week ago. They said it's under review and they hope to respond by the deposit deadline but can't guarantee it. If they don't respond by Thursday don't they effectively "pocket veto," if you will, my attempts at negotiation since I either have to submit a binding deposit or pass up my admissions offer?
First, my brain at 7am clearly was not firing right as the thought of an extension never even came up.. However, I wasn't really disappointed with Columbia's initial offer, I just got a larger than expected offer elsewhere and was hoping Columbia could put some of my financial concerns at ease with a bit more $. That other offer has a deadline of tomorrow. I guess I may have to deposit there (it's non-binding IIRC) and ask for an extension from Columbia if I do not hear before then.

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:00 pm

drevo wrote:
francesfarmer wrote:
First, my brain at 7am clearly was not firing right as the thought of an extension never even came up.. However, I wasn't really disappointed with Columbia's initial offer, I just got a larger than expected offer elsewhere and was hoping Columbia could put some of my financial concerns at ease with a bit more $. That other offer has a deadline of tomorrow. I guess I may have to deposit there (it's non-binding IIRC) and ask for an extension from Columbia if I do not hear before then.
You could also ask the other school for an extension instead of depositing.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jojobean7

New

Post by jojobean7 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:13 pm

Just deposited! Can't wait to meet you guys in a few months :D

EquallyWrong

Gold

Post by EquallyWrong » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:24 pm

jojobean7 wrote:Just deposited! Can't wait to meet you guys in a few months :D
Hooray for the deposit deadline, it's like we're finally becoming a real fambly!

drevo

Bronze

Post by drevo » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:25 pm

francesfarmer wrote:
drevo wrote:
francesfarmer wrote:
You could also ask the other school for an extension instead of depositing.
They already gave me one extension but it definitely couldn't hurt. The last few days of my application cycle are shaping up to be filled with action it seems!

yarrow

New

Post by yarrow » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:27 pm

So if they don't get back to you by their deadline, does that mean you have to blind deposit or can you deposit after you hear their decision?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pseu

New

Post by pseu » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:32 pm

Hey everyone, quick question (and sorry if already been answered): I put my deposit down on Friday, but I haven't gotten any sort of confirmation or welcome email besides the credit card receipt. Should I have gotten anything from Columbia or is there any way to check I am actually enrolled?

Thanks, and looking forward to seeing you all in August!

Humbert Humbert

Bronze

Post by Humbert Humbert » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:41 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
Humbert Humbert wrote:Deposit submitted. Woo hoo!!!!!!!

Happy this cycle is done.
congrats
Thank you sir.

Theopliske8711

Gold

Post by Theopliske8711 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:47 pm

EquallyWrong wrote:
Hooray for the deposit deadline, it's like we're finally becoming a real fambly!

I was hoping to actually like you people!

drevo

Bronze

Post by drevo » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:48 pm

yarrow wrote:
So if they don't get back to you by their deadline, does that mean you have to blind deposit or can you deposit after you hear their decision?
I'm going to wait until tomorrow morning to see if they get my appeal back to me, and then I will call again and essentially ask this. I have my initial offer from CLS, which is decent, and given my other offer(s) used to negotiate, the best I can realistically hope for on my appeal is for Columbia to bump me up a small bit more. So I'm not waiting on an appeal worth a $$ increase.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

milkandcheerios

Bronze

Post by milkandcheerios » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:57 pm

Has anyone started the process of filling out the Dean's Certification?

Since i'm no longer in the same city as my school, I'm e-mailing my Dean the PDF version of the form because I don't want to drive 5 hours to drop of a piece of paper. But I just realized that there an option to waive my rights to see the certification which requires my signature. Is it going to be a big deal if it's not signed because I obviously can't sign it electronically? it says its optional but I don't want it to hurt me on the C&F. Can I sign it, then scan it or fax it or should I not even bother the the hassle if it's going to be a non-issue?

Theopliske8711

Gold

Post by Theopliske8711 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:19 pm

I sent all of them electronically. Signed and scanned them.

EquallyWrong

Gold

Post by EquallyWrong » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:37 pm

Theopliske8711 wrote:
EquallyWrong wrote:

adjust your expectations accordingly :twisted:

a.sleepyhead

Bronze

Post by a.sleepyhead » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:51 pm

milkandcheerios wrote:Has anyone started the process of filling out the Dean's Certification?

Since i'm no longer in the same city as my school, I'm e-mailing my Dean the PDF version of the form because I don't want to drive 5 hours to drop of a piece of paper. But I just realized that there an option to waive my rights to see the certification which requires my signature. Is it going to be a big deal if it's not signed because I obviously can't sign it electronically? it says its optional but I don't want it to hurt me on the C&F. Can I sign it, then scan it or fax it or should I not even bother the the hassle if it's going to be a non-issue?
I emailed my Office of Student Services about it, and they told me I could scan/fax.

Also, deposited! Can't wait to meet you all.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ShrimpToastMasters

Bronze

Post by ShrimpToastMasters » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:54 pm

-deleted-
Last edited by ShrimpToastMasters on Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

waferthinmint

Bronze

Post by waferthinmint » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:03 pm

ShrimpToastMasters wrote:Hi - I just got my HLS finaid award and want to submit it to CLS to negotiate. Does anyone know if there is a prettier version of the award than the version just on the "My HLS Financial Aid" site? Thanks everyone! (and omg - having only two days to try and get CLS to play ball :/ )
Perhaps this question would be better asked on the HLS Class of 2017 thread?

waferthinmint

Bronze

Post by waferthinmint » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:04 pm

Theopliske8711 wrote:
EquallyWrong wrote:

"becoming a real fambly" is not necessarily a higher standard than "actually like" :wink:

almondjoy

Bronze

Post by almondjoy » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:18 pm

Gary wrote:Anyone know when we get our cu emails? :)
+1

Also, I just enrolled! It was kind of scary withdrawing from other schools but I'm super excited for the fall! :D :D

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

waferthinmint

Bronze

Post by waferthinmint » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:19 pm

waferthinmint wrote:
Theopliske8711 wrote:
EquallyWrong wrote:

"becoming a real fambly" is not necessarily a higher standard than "actually like" :wink:
Ha, nvm, I think that was the joke you were making.

Congrats to all the deposits!!!

fleurdelis2

Bronze

Post by fleurdelis2 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:34 pm

Joining the deposit train and joining Columbia officially! Woo

EquallyWrong

Gold

Post by EquallyWrong » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:22 pm

fleurdelis2 wrote:Joining the deposit train and joining Columbia officially! Woo
congrats! welcome to the party.

tlsapp2017

Bronze

Post by tlsapp2017 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:26 pm

almondjoy wrote:
Gary wrote:Anyone know when we get our cu emails? :)
+1

Also, I just enrolled! It was kind of scary withdrawing from other schools but I'm super excited for the fall! :D :D
I already set up my email - you can set up your UNI here: http://cuit.columbia.edu/cuit/manage-my-uni, and then just use it to log on to lionmail.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”