Columbia Class of 2017

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)

When will you be moving in / to NYC?

Already in the city / before end of June
3
6%
Early or mid-July
1
2%
End of July
5
10%
August 1~4
7
14%
August 5~8
12
24%
August 9~12
12
24%
August 13~15
6
12%
After August 15, because IDGAF
3
6%
 
Total votes: 49

User avatar
tlsapp2017
Posts: 205
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:14 am

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby tlsapp2017 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:29 pm

Humbert Humbert wrote:To appeal a financial aid offer, can I just email the fin aid office or is there a more formal procedure (ala NYU)?


I just emailed them.

Humbert Humbert
Posts: 400
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby Humbert Humbert » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:35 pm

tlsapp2017 wrote:
Humbert Humbert wrote:To appeal a financial aid offer, can I just email the fin aid office or is there a more formal procedure (ala NYU)?


I just emailed them.

Thanks. On a related note, has anyone heard back on an appeal yet? If so, good? Bad? Same?

Kimikho
Posts: 3971
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:01 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby Kimikho » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:39 pm

Humbert Humbert wrote:
tlsapp2017 wrote:
Humbert Humbert wrote:To appeal a financial aid offer, can I just email the fin aid office or is there a more formal procedure (ala NYU)?


I just emailed them.

Thanks. On a related note, has anyone heard back on an appeal yet? If so, good? Bad? Same?


I just sent mine in, but I've heard that they can be difficult to negotiate with. I think they do more (but not exclusively) based off of financial need, but they could also be difficult because it's not like you can come to them with an offer from anywhere higher ranked (unless you got a bunch of need-based aid from HYS, but you probably would have gotten a bunch from CLS too then).

I hope they are open to negotiation a bit. I really, really want to go but it's hard to justify it when Chicago offered me nearly double :|

User avatar
waferthinmint
Posts: 337
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:57 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby waferthinmint » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:13 pm

waferthinmint wrote:All good points, but if I won't be in NY for a summer and I am supposed to move all my stuff out, I want to be able to leave with just my laptop and the shirt on my back (plus some more suitcases of clothes), and not have to bother with moving and storing my furniture somewhere only to have to move it again three months later. It hinges on whether I can keep my same apartment or whether they make you reshuffle yearly like a dorm.


From the other thread: "They're 12 month leases, and once you're in you can stick around for all three years."

Unfurnished it is!

User avatar
francesfarmer
Posts: 1409
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:52 am

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby francesfarmer » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:19 pm

Holy shit, I just logged in with my old Uni and I'm on Columbia email ("cubmail") for the first time since 2009. This is weird.

User avatar
moopness
Posts: 310
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:56 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby moopness » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:35 pm

waferthinmint wrote:
waferthinmint wrote:All good points, but if I won't be in NY for a summer and I am supposed to move all my stuff out, I want to be able to leave with just my laptop and the shirt on my back (plus some more suitcases of clothes), and not have to bother with moving and storing my furniture somewhere only to have to move it again three months later. It hinges on whether I can keep my same apartment or whether they make you reshuffle yearly like a dorm.


From the other thread: "They're 12 month leases, and once you're in you can stick around for all three years."

Unfurnished it is!

How difficult would it be buying furniture in NYC? I'm coming from Cali so I def don't have the option to ship my stuff, but buying furniture in NYC seems downright impossible or at least a huuuuge hassle.

Theopliske8711
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:21 am

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby Theopliske8711 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:37 pm

Why it is impossible? There is an Ikea in BK. If you could find a ride, or get a rental, you can make a trip there and get what you need. Otherwise, you can take measurements yourself and just order online.

User avatar
waferthinmint
Posts: 337
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:57 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby waferthinmint » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:38 pm

moopness wrote:
waferthinmint wrote:
waferthinmint wrote:All good points, but if I won't be in NY for a summer and I am supposed to move all my stuff out, I want to be able to leave with just my laptop and the shirt on my back (plus some more suitcases of clothes), and not have to bother with moving and storing my furniture somewhere only to have to move it again three months later. It hinges on whether I can keep my same apartment or whether they make you reshuffle yearly like a dorm.


From the other thread: "They're 12 month leases, and once you're in you can stick around for all three years."

Unfurnished it is!

How difficult would it be buying furniture in NYC? I'm coming from Cali so I def don't have the option to ship my stuff, but buying furniture in NYC seems downright impossible or at least a huuuuge hassle.


I'm in the same position and initially thought I def did not want to deal with that hassle. But, IKEA delivers. And there's always the internet. Is what I'm thinking.

User avatar
cotiger
Posts: 1648
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:49 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby cotiger » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:40 pm

waferthinmint wrote:
moopness wrote:
waferthinmint wrote:
waferthinmint wrote:All good points, but if I won't be in NY for a summer and I am supposed to move all my stuff out, I want to be able to leave with just my laptop and the shirt on my back (plus some more suitcases of clothes), and not have to bother with moving and storing my furniture somewhere only to have to move it again three months later. It hinges on whether I can keep my same apartment or whether they make you reshuffle yearly like a dorm.


From the other thread: "They're 12 month leases, and once you're in you can stick around for all three years."

Unfurnished it is!

How difficult would it be buying furniture in NYC? I'm coming from Cali so I def don't have the option to ship my stuff, but buying furniture in NYC seems downright impossible or at least a huuuuge hassle.


I'm in the same position and initially thought I def did not want to deal with that hassle. But, IKEA delivers. And there's always the internet. Is what I'm thinking.


Get a U-Haul. That's how people move around here.

Humbert Humbert
Posts: 400
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby Humbert Humbert » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:41 pm

You can also rent a U-Haul directly from the IKEA location in Brooklyn. Those usually cost like 20 bucks a day. So take the subway to IKEA, drive the U-Haul (filled w/ furniture) back to your apartment. Drop the U-Haul off at the nearest location (there are a few in Manhattan). Enjoy your furnished apartment.

User avatar
francesfarmer
Posts: 1409
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:52 am

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby francesfarmer » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:18 pm

Humbert Humbert wrote:You can also rent a U-Haul directly from the IKEA location in Brooklyn. Those usually cost like 20 bucks a day. So take the subway to IKEA, drive the U-Haul (filled w/ furniture) back to your apartment. Drop the U-Haul off at the nearest location (there are a few in Manhattan). Enjoy your furnished apartment.

There is a water taxi that you can take from the southern tip of manhattan to Ikea (I think it costs $5, which then gets deducted from your purchase). So enjoy the trip to Ikea AND your furnished apartment.

User avatar
Nonconsecutive
Posts: 2240
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby Nonconsecutive » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:28 pm

francesfarmer wrote:
Humbert Humbert wrote:You can also rent a U-Haul directly from the IKEA location in Brooklyn. Those usually cost like 20 bucks a day. So take the subway to IKEA, drive the U-Haul (filled w/ furniture) back to your apartment. Drop the U-Haul off at the nearest location (there are a few in Manhattan). Enjoy your furnished apartment.

There is a water taxi that you can take from the southern tip of manhattan to Ikea (I think it costs $5, which then gets deducted from your purchase). So enjoy the trip to Ikea AND your furnished apartment.


That is awesome

User avatar
francesfarmer
Posts: 1409
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:52 am

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby francesfarmer » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:31 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:
francesfarmer wrote:
Humbert Humbert wrote:You can also rent a U-Haul directly from the IKEA location in Brooklyn. Those usually cost like 20 bucks a day. So take the subway to IKEA, drive the U-Haul (filled w/ furniture) back to your apartment. Drop the U-Haul off at the nearest location (there are a few in Manhattan). Enjoy your furnished apartment.

There is a water taxi that you can take from the southern tip of manhattan to Ikea (I think it costs $5, which then gets deducted from your purchase). So enjoy the trip to Ikea AND your furnished apartment.


That is awesome

Try to catch the water taxi back at sunset! Seriously one of the most beautiful boat rides I've ever been on.

User avatar
waferthinmint
Posts: 337
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:57 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby waferthinmint » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:31 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:
francesfarmer wrote:
Humbert Humbert wrote:You can also rent a U-Haul directly from the IKEA location in Brooklyn. Those usually cost like 20 bucks a day. So take the subway to IKEA, drive the U-Haul (filled w/ furniture) back to your apartment. Drop the U-Haul off at the nearest location (there are a few in Manhattan). Enjoy your furnished apartment.

There is a water taxi that you can take from the southern tip of manhattan to Ikea (I think it costs $5, which then gets deducted from your purchase). So enjoy the trip to Ikea AND your furnished apartment.


That is awesome


I just looked this up on Google Maps. There is an "Ikea Dock" at Ikea. Best thing ever.

leeway89
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:20 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby leeway89 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:42 pm

francesfarmer wrote:Is the furniture in the grad dorms the same as undergrad? Because if so, it is notoriously hideous. Keep that in mind.


It's pretty much the same furniture as in the undergrad dorms (twin XL, stacked bookcase on desk, ugly chairs etc in the living room area. At least that's the case in the furnished apartments on 116th (or 115th?) by Amsterdam.

User avatar
francesfarmer
Posts: 1409
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:52 am

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby francesfarmer » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:47 pm

leeway89 wrote:
francesfarmer wrote:Is the furniture in the grad dorms the same as undergrad? Because if so, it is notoriously hideous. Keep that in mind.


It's pretty much the same furniture as in the undergrad dorms (twin XL, stacked bookcase on desk, ugly chairs etc in the living room area. At least that's the case in the furnished apartments on 116th (or 115th?) by Amsterdam.

Ugh the undergrad furniture is soooo fugs

User avatar
Balthy
Posts: 668
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby Balthy » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:23 pm

Can't you also just have Ikea deliver and assemble everything for something like $100? That seems like TCR.

User avatar
moopness
Posts: 310
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:56 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby moopness » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:52 pm

:shock:
Did not know it would be that easy to get furniture (I had read somewhere that Ikea delivery basically was 100% the cost of the product...which looking back on it, seems like a ridiculous claim :oops:) Sooooo looks like unfurnished it is :D (Which reminds me...I still need to do my housing application...)

User avatar
EquallyWrong
Posts: 3213
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:19 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby EquallyWrong » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:07 pm

moopness wrote::shock:
Did not know it would be that easy to get furniture (I had read somewhere that Ikea delivery basically was 100% the cost of the product...which looking back on it, seems like a ridiculous claim :oops:) Sooooo looks like unfurnished it is :D (Which reminds me...I still need to do my housing application...)

+1
furnish your place with self assembled furniture, spartan sensibility, and love. save the money by forgoing their soulless clutter, which can then be shuffled into the pizza and beer budget.
Last edited by EquallyWrong on Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
waferthinmint
Posts: 337
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:57 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby waferthinmint » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:23 pm

EquallyWrong wrote:
moopness wrote::shock:
Did not know it would be that easy to get furniture (I had read somewhere that Ikea delivery basically was 100% the cost of the product...which looking back on it, seems like a ridiculous claim :oops:) Sooooo looks like unfurnished it is :D (Which reminds me...I still need to do my housing application...)

+1
furnish your place with self assembled furniture, spartan sensibility, and love. save the money by forgoing their soulless clutter, which can then shuffled into the pizza and beer budget.


+1 the two food groups.

User avatar
moopness
Posts: 310
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:56 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby moopness » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:55 pm

Edit: Nvm, I just like freaking out for no reason :oops:
Last edited by moopness on Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

AustinJennings
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:53 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby AustinJennings » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:51 am

Hey yall, just now checking in!

I just got my financial aid letter today and am definitely putting my deposit down this week, can't wait to meet everybody this fall!

manu6926
Posts: 285
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:05 pm

...

Postby manu6926 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:57 am

...
Last edited by manu6926 on Sun May 25, 2014 9:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
drawstring
Posts: 1933
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:52 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby drawstring » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:58 am

Congrats Manu!

User avatar
moopness
Posts: 310
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:56 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby moopness » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:12 am

manu6926 wrote:I deposited today too!
I just couldn't wait for Stanford any longer. Working in NYC is my dream, so I figured Butler > Stanford sticker.
I can't wait to go back to school and make new friends.
AustinJennings wrote:Hey yall, just now checking in!

I just got my financial aid letter today and am definitely putting my deposit down this week, can't wait to meet everybody this fall!

Congrats and welcome guys!




Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest