papercut wrote:milkandcheerios wrote: I asked CLS if they could speed up my financial aid decision due to an upcoming deadline and their response was to ask me send in my competing offers. I feel like this is some manipulative ploy on their part to force me to show them my hand because I don't see how it's relevant to the timeline. Or maybe i'm just being paranoid because I spend too much time on TLS...
I'm not quite sure how to proceed at this point, should I send my NYU offer or wait patiently?
In the meantime, I'm going to request an extension from NYU.
We're all a bit high strung at the moment, but I don't think there are any dark motives on CLS's part here.
I sent them my competing offer letters too. I got the sense that they used them in an unofficial "matching" program. They just want to give you a competitive offer.
It'll all be over soon.
If you are on a tight deadline then they understand you don't have time to negotiate. They might just want to make their first offer competitive, rather than lowballing you first and expecting you to try and negotiate up. Also, then they know specifically what your deadlines are so they can move your app through accordingly.
You should definitely try and extend the NYU deadline regardless, so you have more time to negotiate. Also, at this point you might need to send them the NYU offer so they know you weren't bluffing.