Columbia Class of 2017

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)

When will you be moving in / to NYC?

Already in the city / before end of June
3
6%
Early or mid-July
1
2%
End of July
5
10%
August 1~4
7
14%
August 5~8
12
24%
August 9~12
12
24%
August 13~15
6
12%
After August 15, because IDGAF
3
6%
 
Total votes: 49

manu6926
Posts: 285
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:05 pm

...

Postby manu6926 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:08 am

...
Last edited by manu6926 on Sun May 25, 2014 10:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
mylifeis24
Posts: 323
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:23 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby mylifeis24 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:06 am

manu6926 wrote:
mylifeis24 wrote:Just got my award letter. I'm still a bit in shock, but I was offered $90K, my highest T14 offer. I can't believe that they would offer more than NYU, Chicago, Duke and UVA. Cannot wait until ASW tomorrow! This may be the end of my cycle!


Wow that's the Butler fellowship amount! Congrats!


Thanks! Though it would be nice to put Butler on my resume, I'll take the same $90K nonetheless! They call it a tuition grant.

Kimikho
Posts: 3971
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:01 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby Kimikho » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:06 pm

Hey, does anyone know if Columbia offers EXTERNSHIPS???

EvMont
Posts: 285
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:21 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby EvMont » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:19 pm

scoobers wrote:Hey, does anyone know if Columbia offers EXTERNSHIPS???


This talk has been TOO real!

User avatar
moopness
Posts: 310
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:56 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby moopness » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:31 pm

mylifeis24 wrote:Just got my award letter. I'm still a bit in shock, but I was offered $90K, my highest T14 offer. I can't believe that they would offer more than NYU, Chicago, Duke and UVA. Cannot wait until ASW tomorrow! This may be the end of my cycle!

Congrats! That's incredible!

Theopliske8711
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:21 am

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby Theopliske8711 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:40 pm

Btw, did we get our CLS ID yet? I can't really recall and my emails aren't showing anything. Did it come with acceptance or does it come later?

User avatar
scoobysnax
Posts: 208
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:51 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby scoobysnax » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:07 pm

Theopliske8711 wrote:Btw, did we get our CLS ID yet? I can't really recall and my emails aren't showing anything. Did it come with acceptance or does it come later?

It comes in the housing information email about 2-3 weeks after your acceptance. I found mine in the spam folder.

User avatar
tlsapp2017
Posts: 205
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:14 am

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby tlsapp2017 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:10 pm

If anyone knows how scholarship appeals work for Columbia, please let me know!

Theopliske8711
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:21 am

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby Theopliske8711 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:14 pm

scoobysnax wrote:
Theopliske8711 wrote:Btw, did we get our CLS ID yet? I can't really recall and my emails aren't showing anything. Did it come with acceptance or does it come later?

It comes in the housing information email about 2-3 weeks after your acceptance. I found mine in the spam folder.


Found! Thanks!

User avatar
FuriousDuck
Posts: 507
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:33 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby FuriousDuck » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:50 pm

...
Last edited by FuriousDuck on Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
mylifeis24
Posts: 323
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:23 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby mylifeis24 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:35 pm

EvMont wrote:
scoobers wrote:Hey, does anyone know if Columbia offers EXTERNSHIPS???


This talk has been TOO real!


What I got from today was that Columbia is the place to go if you're into baby making.

User avatar
moopness
Posts: 310
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:56 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby moopness » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:39 pm

mylifeis24 wrote:What I got from today was that Columbia is the place to go if you're into baby making.

This piques my interest...Care to explain for us non ASWers? :lol:

User avatar
zen
Posts: 77
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:31 am

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby zen » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:49 pm

mylifeis24 wrote:
EvMont wrote:
scoobers wrote:Hey, does anyone know if Columbia offers EXTERNSHIPS???


This talk has been TOO real!


What I got from today was that Columbia is the place to go if you're into baby making.


What I got from today is that a certain school in Manhattan is full of dreams while a certain other school is full of reality.

User avatar
mylifeis24
Posts: 323
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:23 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby mylifeis24 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:51 pm

moopness wrote:
mylifeis24 wrote:What I got from today was that Columbia is the place to go if you're into baby making.

This piques my interest...Care to explain for us non ASWers? :lol:


One of the panelists mentioned three times that he was destined to go to columbia because he met his wife there and now they have a 4 year old son Mateo. It was funnier in the moment...I guess

manu6926
Posts: 285
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:05 pm

...

Postby manu6926 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:52 pm

...
Last edited by manu6926 on Sun May 25, 2014 10:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
zen
Posts: 77
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:31 am

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby zen » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:55 pm

manu6926 wrote:dreams = NYU
reality = Columbia ?


Yup! The PI people at Columbia pretty much completely trashed NYU's PI program saying that people should look past what schools say and examine the facts. Poor NYU.

muzzy
Posts: 488
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:01 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby muzzy » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:32 pm

.
Last edited by muzzy on Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AdInfinitum
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:22 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby AdInfinitum » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:01 pm

I found it odd - Columbia has really been focusing on their PI program so far at ASW. I felt like at the NYU they were trying to play up their corporate stuff.

On a side note, starting to freak out about financial aid. NYU's deadline is the 21st and I haven't even gotten CLS's offer, not to mention time to (as i'm sure I'll have to) appeal it.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9635
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:13 pm

If any of you admitted students are around tomorrow still and want to see kind of a fun class (although it does go on long, but you wouldn't have to stay), come see our Crim class at 4:40PM in JG101. Lynch is a 2nd circuit court of appeals judge and most days he's pretty interesting. Although maybe you're all headed to NYU now?

One cool thing about class that they might not have told you is that your profs are given a sizable budget by the school to take groups of students out for lunch, dinner, drinks ect. during the semester. Then you get to know the profs and most are actually pretty cool.

User avatar
moopness
Posts: 310
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:56 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby moopness » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:15 pm

AdInfinitum wrote:I found it odd - Columbia has really been focusing on their PI program so far at ASW. I felt like at the NYU they were trying to play up their corporate stuff.

On a side note, starting to freak out about financial aid. NYU's deadline is the 21st and I haven't even gotten CLS's offer, not to mention time to (as i'm sure I'll have to) appeal it.

Same boat, though I only sent my fin aid info last week (was accepted on 3/27). I think we'll be fine...

jbagelboy wrote:One cool thing about class that they might not have told you is that your profs are given a sizable budget by the school to take groups of students out for lunch, dinner, drinks ect. during the semester. Then you get to know the profs and most are actually pretty cool.

That is incredibly cool, thanks for the heads up!

User avatar
Marshmallow
Posts: 273
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:32 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby Marshmallow » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:33 pm

jbagelboy wrote:If any of you admitted students are around tomorrow still and want to see kind of a fun class (although it does go on long, but you wouldn't have to stay), come see our Crim class at 4:40PM in JG101. Lynch is a 2nd circuit court of appeals judge and most days he's pretty interesting. Although maybe you're all headed to NYU now?

One cool thing about class that they might not have told you is that your profs are given a sizable budget by the school to take groups of students out for lunch, dinner, drinks ect. during the semester. Then you get to know the profs and most are actually pretty cool.


Jbagelboy, maybe I'm crazy but did you give tours during the march asw? I feel like the guy who toured me was really into lunch with professors and did it all the time!

User avatar
Balthy
Posts: 668
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby Balthy » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:37 pm

jbagelboy wrote:One cool thing about class that they might not have told you is that your profs are given a sizable budget by the school to take groups of students out for lunch, dinner, drinks ect. during the semester. Then you get to know the profs and most are actually pretty cool.



This is pretty awesome.

User avatar
Stubbazubba
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:17 am

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby Stubbazubba » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:00 am

So sad I can't attend ASW. For any CLS students/alum watching, could you answer a few questions about your student experience for those of us that couldn't make it? The first question may not be generally applicable, but all the rest are:

1) I'm interested in going into government service, and possibly even JAG. Do you know of anyone who has done JAG from Columbia? Do you know what sort of resources Columbia has for this?

2) How do you feel your relationship is with your professors? Can you talk to most of them individually, do they know who you are? How involved are they in your law school experience outside of the classroom?

3) Is there a strong competitive feeling in your classes? What are your relationships with other students at CLS like? Can you get notes and help from others?

4) How many hours per week would you say you are studying/in class? Would you say you had enough free time to keep your sanity your 1L year?

5) How helpful have you felt CLS' career services to be? If you know anyone with PI experience, do they feel the office was helpful, or do most have to rely on other sources?

6) What have your experiences been with CLS alumni? Are most willing or eager to help out students?

7) What's the greatest thing about going to CLS? What's the worst?

TIA!

User avatar
zen
Posts: 77
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:31 am

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby zen » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:01 am

muzzy wrote:That panel really smacked NYU down. Everyone I talked to individually told me that I'd probably be happy at either C or N (for PI).

FWIW: Enjoyed the whole day.

Anyone else hoping over to NYU tomorrow after the morning at Columbia?


That's what I'll be doing!

Kimikho
Posts: 3971
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:01 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby Kimikho » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:04 am

FuriousDuck wrote:
scoobers wrote:Hey, does anyone know if Columbia offers EXTERNSHIPS???


Where are you? You're a big star here! You have fans who are looking for you! :lol:


Maybe we already met ;)




Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest