Columbia Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)

When will you be moving in / to NYC?

Already in the city / before end of June
8%
Early or mid-July
2%
End of July
10%
August 1~4
14%
August 5~8
24%
August 9~12
24%
August 13~15
12%
After August 15, because IDGAF
8%

Total votes: 51

mt2165

Silver

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Post by mt2165 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:26 pm

Checking in, for the love of God Columbia show me some dinero...

jdapplicant

Bronze

Post by jdapplicant » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:06 pm

tlsapp2017 wrote:
xmbeckham wrote:Anybody went to the March ASW? How was it? I heard it sucked. Really?
I went, and that was definitely not my impression. A few interesting panels, great food, and the students that I met all seemed (contrary to rumor) really happy and friendly.
My friends at CLS (none of them gunners in UG) all seem very happy and like the people there. Honestly, their experiences seem to mirror that of my friends at NYU. Of course I'm working with a small sample but its just hard for me to imagine that the people at CLS are really less friendly/happy/cool than at NYU or Chicago. If anything, it probably just varies with each class. But I guess I'll see for myself at the April ASD.

iamgeorgebush

Silver

Post by iamgeorgebush » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:55 pm

jdapplicant wrote:
tlsapp2017 wrote:
xmbeckham wrote:Anybody went to the March ASW? How was it? I heard it sucked. Really?
I went, and that was definitely not my impression. A few interesting panels, great food, and the students that I met all seemed (contrary to rumor) really happy and friendly.
My friends at CLS (none of them gunners in UG) all seem very happy and like the people there. Honestly, their experiences seem to mirror that of my friends at NYU. Of course I'm working with a small sample but its just hard for me to imagine that the people at CLS are really less friendly/happy/cool than at NYU or Chicago. If anything, it probably just varies with each class. But I guess I'll see for myself at the April ASD.
yeah my impression from march asw was that CLS students were very friendly and chill, not at all the cold sociopaths some students at other T14 schools have made them out to be.

chicky

New

Post by chicky » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:48 am

iamgeorgebush wrote:
jdapplicant wrote:
tlsapp2017 wrote:
yeah my impression from march asw was that CLS students were very friendly and chill, not at all the cold sociopaths some students at other T14 schools have made them out to be.

I was at the March ASW, and I've been really surprised to see people on TLS saying that it was bad - maybe it's because I went in with low expectations, but I actually enjoyed it and went from being borderline disinterested in CLS to seriously considering it. Also, I talked to a couple other 0Ls there (or at NYU who had also been at CLS) who were also pleasantly surprised by the experience.

Synch

Bronze

Post by Synch » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:53 am

Couldn't agree more with the above poster. Very much enjoyed the ASW, and it has definitely pushed Columbia to being a top choice for me at this point. Students were friendly and approachable, the food was good, the panels were interesting and informative, and I didn't find myself bored.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Marshmallow

Bronze

Post by Marshmallow » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:01 pm

i had a similar experience to some of the above posters, and am now considering CLS wayyy more seriously than I initially was. i also met some really great current students who were extremely welcoming and much more laid back than i thought they would be

Tela1283

Bronze

Post by Tela1283 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:32 pm

Hey all,

Anyone know if people usually hear about merit aid via email or snail mail? I'm sure this information is readily available but I figured I'd ask anyhow

Thanks!

drevo

Bronze

Post by drevo » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:01 pm

Thought I'd share this from this thread.

It's the ABA required employment data for the Class of 2013.

http://web.law.columbia.edu/sites/defau ... ummary.pdf

Someone in the original thread did the math for "desirable outcomes" - meaning firms with 100+ attorneys and Fed clerkships - and it was 73.2% + 4.8% = 78%

BanjoCalhoun

New

Post by BanjoCalhoun » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:28 pm

drevo wrote: Someone in the original thread did the math for "desirable outcomes" - meaning firms with 100+ attorneys and Fed clerkships - and it was 73.2% + 4.8% = 78%
I don't see a reason to not include government or PI in any desirable outcomes stat. The only problem is it's harder to differentiate quality of jobs within those groups.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

drevo

Bronze

Post by drevo » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:43 pm

BanjoCalhoun wrote:
drevo wrote: Someone in the original thread did the math for "desirable outcomes" - meaning firms with 100+ attorneys and Fed clerkships - and it was 73.2% + 4.8% = 78%
I don't see a reason to not include government or PI in any desirable outcomes stat. The only problem is it's harder to differentiate quality of jobs within those groups.
That was my exact thought as well. The only thing I could figure was what you said in that it is harder to tell if those gigs are quality or not but it's hard to imagine not a single person who went PI got a solid job out of it and it was a "desirable outcome" for them. That's why I just used someone else's math and numbers so I didn't have to make those assumptions :lol:

yomisterd

Gold

Post by yomisterd » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:25 pm

Tela1283 wrote:Hey all,

Anyone know if people usually hear about merit aid via email or snail mail? I'm sure this information is readily available but I figured I'd ask anyhow

Thanks!
+1

Please update.

milkandcheerios

Bronze

Post by milkandcheerios » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:51 pm

So happy to finally be able to check in!

Does everyone think ASW is a must? I already visited the law school last summer when I happened to be in NYC. I know ASW is completely different that walking around an empty building/campus but its just so expensive to fly in from the west coast.

Humbert Humbert

Bronze

Post by Humbert Humbert » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:08 pm

Checking in finally.

:D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

malleus discentium

Silver

Post by malleus discentium » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:52 pm

milkandcheerios wrote:So happy to finally be able to check in!

Does everyone think ASW is a must? I already visited the law school last summer when I happened to be in NYC. I know ASW is completely different that walking around an empty building/campus but its just so expensive to fly in from the west coast.
They do give need-based travel subsidies, and I have heard that the bar is not too onerous. And I would recommend going if you can. I can't speak to the CLS one (though I too, curiously, heard that it was not great) but the HLS ASW was exciting and just fun to attend.

almondjoy

Bronze

Post by almondjoy » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:49 am

illyria wrote:Did anyone do the Hamilton webinar? It doesn't seem to be working..
I wasn't able to log on to this either. Anyone do the webinar and is willing to share some info on what was discussed? Feel free to pm me too!

bbkk

Silver

Post by bbkk » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:05 am

yomisterd wrote:
Tela1283 wrote:Hey all,

Thanks!
+1

Please update.

Hamilton came in with my offer letter in email. Not sure about other schollies.

Marshmallow

Bronze

Post by Marshmallow » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:12 am

congrats and welcome, new admits!!
milkandcheerios wrote:So happy to finally be able to check in!

I thought ASW was really great, and if you have any reservations about Columbia, you should definitely go. For me, talking with current students face-to-face is a crucial part of the decision-making process. that said, I was only coming from Boston, so I mega-bused round trip for $35 AND had a place to stay, and if it wasn't so cheap for me, I probably wouldn't have gone...

Also, a question: Is it okay to fill out the Columbia housing application if we aren't 100% committed to going yet? I mean, I'm heavily leaning... just waiting on $$$ stuff from several schools.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Theopliske8711

Gold

Post by Theopliske8711 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:48 am

I guess we should go ahead and start a Facebook group for Columbia Law School - Class of 2017. CLS doesn't make it, so if we want one it's on us. I'm at work, but I can start it later. However, it asks me to invite a friend when I do start a group. I don't have any CLS 2017 friends on FB. Otherwise, I can just invite a random friend of mine initially.

neprep

Silver

Post by neprep » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:50 am

Marshmallow wrote:Also, a question: Is it okay to fill out the Columbia housing application if we aren't 100% committed to going yet? I mean, I'm heavily leaning... just waiting on $$$ stuff from several schools.
Yeah, I submitted mine. You don't have to accept the offer they give you.

Also they make it clear that you're not making an official commitment to them unless you send in the deposit.

Marshmallow

Bronze

Post by Marshmallow » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:17 am

neprep wrote:
Marshmallow wrote:Also, a question: Is it okay to fill out the Columbia housing application if we aren't 100% committed to going yet? I mean, I'm heavily leaning... just waiting on $$$ stuff from several schools.
Yeah, I submitted mine. You don't have to accept the offer they give you.

Also they make it clear that you're not making an official commitment to them unless you send in the deposit.
just completed it! :D

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:24 am

Theopliske8711 wrote:I guess we should go ahead and start a Facebook group for Columbia Law School - Class of 2017. CLS doesn't make it, so if we want one it's on us. I'm at work, but I can start it later. However, it asks me to invite a friend when I do start a group. I don't have any CLS 2017 friends on FB. Otherwise, I can just invite a random friend of mine initially.
Good idea! Can't wait to join #braggart

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Howl

Bronze

Post by Howl » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:13 pm

almondjoy wrote:
illyria wrote:Did anyone do the Hamilton webinar? It doesn't seem to be working..
I wasn't able to log on to this either. Anyone do the webinar and is willing to share some info on what was discussed? Feel free to pm me too!
+1. Please??

whippersnappery

Bronze

Post by whippersnappery » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:36 pm

Does someone who went to the ASW want to PM me about it? I couldn't make, and would love to hear about it. Thanks!

Theopliske8711

Gold

Post by Theopliske8711 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:16 pm

FB page is up. Went ahead and made it. For those wanting in. Just search "Columbia Law School - Class of 2017" and let the networking begin.

tortellini

New

Post by tortellini » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:26 pm

Theopliske8711 wrote:FB page is up. Went ahead and made it. For those wanting in. Just search "Columbia Law School - Class of 2017" and let the networking begin.
Thanks for doing this! Do you mind putting up a link? I can't find it LOL

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”