Columbia Class of 2017

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)

When will you be moving in / to NYC?

Already in the city / before end of June
4
8%
Early or mid-July
1
2%
End of July
5
10%
August 1~4
7
14%
August 5~8
12
24%
August 9~12
12
24%
August 13~15
6
12%
After August 15, because IDGAF
3
6%
 
Total votes: 50

User avatar
almondjoy
Posts: 235
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:35 am

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby almondjoy » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:45 am

Is anyone RSVP'ing to any of the orientation tours/events or is it too early? Or am I totally off base and ya'll have been signing up for things as soon as the list was released? lol

User avatar
papercut
Posts: 1445
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:48 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby papercut » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:00 am

almondjoy wrote:Is anyone RSVP'ing to any of the orientation tours/events or is it too early? Or am I totally off base and ya'll have been signing up for things as soon as the list was released? lol


I thought they would send out emails prompting us to RSVP.

But I could totally be wrong.

We're definitely gonna get emails prompting us to RSVP. Also, there will be free alcohol at some. :D
Last edited by papercut on Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
moopness
Posts: 310
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:56 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby moopness » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:48 am

FuriousDuck wrote:I may or may not be able to meet up with you guys tomorrow depending on how my travel goes. I don't know what many of you look like, so right now I'm imagining myself wandering around the place aimlessly, awkwardly listening for someone to say something TLS related.

Just look for the tall, obscenely skinny, Indian kid with the bad haircut. Can't miss me.

User avatar
runthetrap
Posts: 141
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:49 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby runthetrap » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:56 am

FuriousDuck wrote:I may or may not be able to meet up with you guys tomorrow depending on how my travel goes. I don't know what many of you look like, so right now I'm imagining myself wandering around the place aimlessly, awkwardly listening for someone to say something TLS related.

i'll tell the host(ess) / someone of that nature that we're having a CLS meetup, so just ask him / her where we're seated! i'll get there a few minutes early

User avatar
papercut
Posts: 1445
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:48 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby papercut » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:17 am

runthetrap wrote:
girlmonster wrote:Is the meet-up tomorrow still happening? If so, can my friend come? She's not Columbia- or law school-affiliated at all.

yes, let's get together at amsterdam tavern tomorrow at 7:30!


I'm down.

User avatar
runthetrap
Posts: 141
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:49 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby runthetrap » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:54 pm

moopness wrote:
FuriousDuck wrote:I may or may not be able to meet up with you guys tomorrow depending on how my travel goes. I don't know what many of you look like, so right now I'm imagining myself wandering around the place aimlessly, awkwardly listening for someone to say something TLS related.

Just look for the tall, obscenely skinny, Indian kid with the bad haircut. Can't miss me.

lol

User avatar
runthetrap
Posts: 141
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:49 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby runthetrap » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:17 pm

oh, and by the way, if you're a lurker -- feel free to join us @ amsterdam tavern tonight. 7:30pm. the more the merrier!

nugnoy
Posts: 115
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:19 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby nugnoy » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:43 pm

Checking in! I will be on the lookout for the next event.

There's an event on Tuesday evening by NY City Bar on "Careers in Labor & Employment Law" this Tuesday, and it happens to be free for CLS students. Here's the info link to those interested!

User avatar
EquallyWrong
Posts: 3213
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:19 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby EquallyWrong » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:05 pm

open call for anyone who wants to go in on IKEA furniture delivery within the next week or two. pretty sure the consensus ITT was unfurnished, so if a few of those people are still around we might be able to defray a large part of the cost.

User avatar
FuriousDuck
Posts: 507
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:33 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby FuriousDuck » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:32 pm

...
Last edited by FuriousDuck on Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
EquallyWrong
Posts: 3213
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:19 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby EquallyWrong » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:18 pm

FuriousDuck wrote:I'm sorry to have missed the get-together. Yesterday didn't go as smoothly for me as I'd hoped. I'll be sure to make the next one if we have another.

EquallyWrong, how would "going in on furniture delivery" work?

You can get an order of furniture delivered from Brooklyn for a flat rate of $100. So this seems like a good way to save 50-75 dollars so long as you're living in the same building or near by whomever you do it with as you'll likely be responsible for transferring it from the main delivery address. If it needs to be one order and they don't give an option to pay with multiple cards, then I think a good solution would be to buy and pay with IKEA gift cards of the exact amount for your order.

Also wrt to get togethers, how about something Tuesday or later in the week?
Last edited by EquallyWrong on Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
girlmonster
Posts: 280
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 10:46 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby girlmonster » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:35 pm

Sorry I missed the get-together! I was still running around town like a crazy newcomer trying to get settled in a day. Please post any other meetups that are happening, because I would love to meet all of you! I'm in town now, so Tuesday or later works for me.

User avatar
FuriousDuck
Posts: 507
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:33 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby FuriousDuck » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:21 am

...
Last edited by FuriousDuck on Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
zcobb
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:24 am

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby zcobb » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:46 am

FuriousDuck wrote:
EquallyWrong wrote:
FuriousDuck wrote:I'm sorry to have missed the get-together. Yesterday didn't go as smoothly for me as I'd hoped. I'll be sure to make the next one if we have another.

EquallyWrong, how would "going in on furniture delivery" work?

You can get an order of furniture delivered from Brooklyn for a flat rate of $100. So this seems like a good way to save 50-75 dollars so long as you're living in the same building or near by whomever you do it with as you'll likely be responsible for transferring it from the main delivery address. If it needs to be one order and they don't give an option to pay with multiple cards, then I think a good solution would be to buy and pay with IKEA gift cards of the exact amount for your order.

Also wrt to get togethers, how about something Tuesday or later in the week?


I think Tuesday and Wednesday would both work well, but I'll make myself available any time prior to orientation. I'm not even sure I'll even be assembling my bed myself, so I'm a bit too lazy to try to work out that Ikea scheme, but good luck with that.


Also in town full time now and am available any time before orientation for a meet up. Gives me an excuse to keep things in boxes instead of actually unpacking.

User avatar
runthetrap
Posts: 141
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:49 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby runthetrap » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:47 pm

let's get together tomorrow (monday) night! will post location tomorrow.

User avatar
milkandcheerios
Posts: 295
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:58 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby milkandcheerios » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:49 pm

EquallyWrong wrote:open call for anyone who wants to go in on IKEA furniture delivery within the next week or two. pretty sure the consensus ITT was unfurnished, so if a few of those people are still around we might be able to defray a large part of the cost.


I would potentially be interested in this although it would only work if everyone lives in the same building right?

User avatar
EquallyWrong
Posts: 3213
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:19 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby EquallyWrong » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:12 pm

milkandcheerios wrote:
EquallyWrong wrote:open call for anyone who wants to go in on IKEA furniture delivery within the next week or two. pretty sure the consensus ITT was unfurnished, so if a few of those people are still around we might be able to defray a large part of the cost.


I would potentially be interested in this although it would only work if everyone lives in the same building right?

I'm beginning to come around to that opinion...glued together sawdust makes for a heavy, unwieldy load. Maybe there could be some negotiations if there were, like, a skateboard or something with wheels on it to work with, but best available option is probably to find someone in the building and save each other fifty dollars in the process...don't fly too close to the sun is the watchword.

User avatar
mylifeis24
Posts: 323
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:23 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby mylifeis24 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:49 am

PSA to all those buying furniture at IKEA. Purchase the assembly service as well. It's definitely a bit pricey, but it is 500% worth it. Been putting a bed, desk and dresser together for 8 hours now and still only 50% done.

User avatar
milkandcheerios
Posts: 295
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:58 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby milkandcheerios » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:45 am

mylifeis24 wrote:PSA to all those buying furniture at IKEA. Purchase the assembly service as well. It's definitely a bit pricey, but it is 500% worth it. Been putting a bed, desk and dresser together for 8 hours now and still only 50% done.


I was gonna skip that service but you're scaring me...how pricey is it?

Btw how long did delivery take? I'm trying to figure out how many days I'm gonna have to spend sleeping on the floor...

User avatar
FuriousDuck
Posts: 507
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:33 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby FuriousDuck » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:21 am

...
Last edited by FuriousDuck on Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
FuriousDuck
Posts: 507
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:33 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby FuriousDuck » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:23 am

...
Last edited by FuriousDuck on Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
mylifeis24
Posts: 323
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:23 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby mylifeis24 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:04 am

Don't forget to reserve your locker assignment on lawnet today!

User avatar
mylifeis24
Posts: 323
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:23 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby mylifeis24 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:04 am

FuriousDuck wrote:http://www.ikea.com/us/en/store/brooklyn/services

Scroll down to "Assembly & Delivery Service." That's also in addition to the delivery fee, which is $100 if you pick out your items in the warehouse and bring them to a register, or $150 if you just give IKEA a list of items. Assembling IKEA furniture does take a long time if you're not used to their weird wordless manuals. 16 hours to assemble a room full of furniture is probably pretty normal.


what (s)he said

User avatar
girlmonster
Posts: 280
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 10:46 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby girlmonster » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:34 am

mylifeis24 wrote:Don't forget to reserve your locker assignment on lawnet today!


Thanks for the reminder!

leeway89
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:20 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby leeway89 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:40 am

Anyone else still have a hold on their account due to immunizations paperwork? I submitted everything and the office said they have my paperwork but there is some "coding" issue that's preventing me from being cleared.




Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest