Columbia Class of 2017

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)

When will you be moving in / to NYC?

Already in the city / before end of June
4
8%
Early or mid-July
1
2%
End of July
5
10%
August 1~4
7
14%
August 5~8
12
24%
August 9~12
12
24%
August 13~15
6
12%
After August 15, because IDGAF
3
6%
 
Total votes: 50

User avatar
francesfarmer
Posts: 1409
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:52 am

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby francesfarmer » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:51 pm

lawschoolco2017 wrote:Cross posted from nyu thread in case anyone knows of a place in between both schools.

Hey everyone,

I'll be at NYU next year. I'm from the midwest so not too experienced with NYC housing etc. Looking to pay anywhere under 1500 or so, the cheaper the better as long as living conditions aren't terrible. I'm okay being a little bit away from the school but don't want to be really far. If anyone is looking for a roommate at their place or wants to join forces to find a place, let me know.

Move to Brooklyn, get more space, save money.

User avatar
runthetrap
Posts: 141
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:49 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby runthetrap » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:17 am

francesfarmer wrote:Move to Brooklyn, get more space, save money.

i'd absolutely love to live in brooklyn, but i'm a lazy fuccboi and can't imagine commuting to school every day.. so 112th it is #boringsideheights

User avatar
dc91
Posts: 289
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:54 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby dc91 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:13 am

But why can't we move in on the weekends? I was really hoping that they meant fill out all that paperwork as move in, but no. Pretty sure I'll be spending the first week without furniture.

User avatar
francesfarmer
Posts: 1409
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:52 am

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby francesfarmer » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:49 am

runthetrap wrote:
francesfarmer wrote:Move to Brooklyn, get more space, save money.

i'd absolutely love to live in brooklyn, but i'm a lazy fuccboi and can't imagine commuting to school every day.. so 112th it is #boringsideheights

Yeah I'm def not looking forward to commuting but I'm in love with my apartment and my roommates so I'm gonna stick it out... if I were going to NYU there would be no question about living in Brooklyn. 1. I hate the village/its extremely expensive 2. The commute from bed-stuy on the A/C would be like 20 minutes.

Humbert Humbert
Posts: 400
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby Humbert Humbert » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:32 pm

francesfarmer wrote:
runthetrap wrote:
francesfarmer wrote:Move to Brooklyn, get more space, save money.

i'd absolutely love to live in brooklyn, but i'm a lazy fuccboi and can't imagine commuting to school every day.. so 112th it is #boringsideheights

Yeah I'm def not looking forward to commuting but I'm in love with my apartment and my roommates so I'm gonna stick it out... if I were going to NYU there would be no question about living in Brooklyn. 1. I hate the village/its extremely expensive 2. The commute from bed-stuy on the A/C would be like 20 minutes.

I'm in a similar boat - I live all the way downtown, so will be a bit of a hike for me too, but I have a great apartment and live with roommates that I didn't want to leave. I've lived in the city for a few years though (and I'm close to the 2/3), so I'm not overly concerned with the commute.

User avatar
Balthy
Posts: 668
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby Balthy » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:48 pm

Anyone know if we were supposed to receive any more info on the fin aid front? Last thing i did was send in my loan request form and complete some required online debt consulting on the gov website. I'm guessing we receive further info closer to august?

I'm a noob with this finaid stuff.

User avatar
girlmonster
Posts: 280
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 10:46 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby girlmonster » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:17 am

Balthy wrote:Anyone know if we were supposed to receive any more info on the fin aid front? Last thing i did was send in my loan request form and complete some required online debt consulting on the gov website. I'm guessing we receive further info closer to august?

I'm a noob with this finaid stuff.


I received notification that I forgot some Perkins loan stuff, but this isn't applicable to everyone. Also, I apparently have a unique ability to overlook/forget at least two things in each stage of this process.

EZoo people, what days are you going?

bitcheslovecake
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:33 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby bitcheslovecake » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:34 pm

girlmonster wrote:
Balthy wrote:Anyone know if we were supposed to receive any more info on the fin aid front? Last thing i did was send in my loan request form and complete some required online debt consulting on the gov website. I'm guessing we receive further info closer to august?

I'm a noob with this finaid stuff.


I received notification that I forgot some Perkins loan stuff, but this isn't applicable to everyone. Also, I apparently have a unique ability to overlook/forget at least two things in each stage of this process.

EZoo people, what days are you going?


Haven't bought a ticket yet but planning on Saturday, and after parties on Friday and Saturday

User avatar
EquallyWrong
Posts: 3213
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:19 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby EquallyWrong » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:41 pm

Balthy wrote:Anyone know if we were supposed to receive any more info on the fin aid front? Last thing i did was send in my loan request form and complete some required online debt consulting on the gov website. I'm guessing we receive further info closer to august?

I'm a noob with this finaid stuff.

I got nothing from them alerting me to any fuckuppery yet, so I'm going to grow my beard and go to seed until August.

worst case scenario is probably you having to hash it out at the financial aid office...unless they have fees or penalties they levy against you, but that seems like too much of a dirty, low class trick for them...those are state school shenanigans.

User avatar
girlmonster
Posts: 280
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 10:46 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby girlmonster » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:48 pm

bitcheslovecake wrote:
girlmonster wrote:
Balthy wrote:Anyone know if we were supposed to receive any more info on the fin aid front? Last thing i did was send in my loan request form and complete some required online debt consulting on the gov website. I'm guessing we receive further info closer to august?

I'm a noob with this finaid stuff.


I received notification that I forgot some Perkins loan stuff, but this isn't applicable to everyone. Also, I apparently have a unique ability to overlook/forget at least two things in each stage of this process.

EZoo people, what days are you going?


Haven't bought a ticket yet but planning on Saturday, and after parties on Friday and Saturday


Haha, I'm guessing one of these is supposed to be Sunday, but I don't know which one. I haven't bought my ticket(s) yet either. It looks like Sunday is a definite yes, but I really want to go Saturday, too (Cosmic Gate, Benny Benassi, W&W, Zedd, and ARMIN).

User avatar
moopness
Posts: 310
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:56 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby moopness » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:33 am

girlmonster wrote:
bitcheslovecake wrote:
girlmonster wrote:
Balthy wrote:Anyone know if we were supposed to receive any more info on the fin aid front? Last thing i did was send in my loan request form and complete some required online debt consulting on the gov website. I'm guessing we receive further info closer to august?

I'm a noob with this finaid stuff.


I received notification that I forgot some Perkins loan stuff, but this isn't applicable to everyone. Also, I apparently have a unique ability to overlook/forget at least two things in each stage of this process.

EZoo people, what days are you going?


Haven't bought a ticket yet but planning on Saturday, and after parties on Friday and Saturday


Haha, I'm guessing one of these is supposed to be Sunday, but I don't know which one. I haven't bought my ticket(s) yet either. It looks like Sunday is a definite yes, but I really want to go Saturday, too (Cosmic Gate, Benny Benassi, W&W, Zedd, and ARMIN).

Don't know if you've seen Armin at a festival yet but his mainstage performance are really, really terrible. He plays straight mainstream crap and little to no trance (as in actual, real trance). I'm saying this not to be a snob (even though I definitely am, I've come to terms with it, and if this post annoys anyone reading it I'm sorry) but so you may be less inclined to sacrifice seeing other better acts for Armin (e.g. SASHA, PvD, hell even Knife Party given their upcoming album). Also, if you can go Friday you should, the lineup is sick (Jeremy Olander, Fehrplay, Bonobo, Gesaff, Dubfire, Chris Liebing, Hot Since 82, Wolfgang, Zeds Dead...)


So when are you guys planning on flying into the city? Would it be a bad idea to book a flight to get in the morning of your move in date or is that tcr?

User avatar
milkandcheerios
Posts: 295
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:58 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby milkandcheerios » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:52 am

You can technically move in any day after your move in date right? I'll be flying in the morning of though.

Now the real question is, should I order furniture from ikea in advance so it can be delivered the day I move in, or should I wait till after I get to NYC and spend a couple days sleeping on the floor? Sigh...I've never moved this far by myself before, it's making me nervous.

PS. I totally agree that most "main stage" DJs play terribly generic festival sets. Sadly, one of the burdens of popularity is catering to the crowd. Although I hear that the Armin Only tour was amazing but i'm not a big trance fan myself though so I wouldn't really know.

User avatar
moopness
Posts: 310
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:56 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby moopness » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:01 am

I thought you had to be there by your appointment time though? As far as the IKEA thing goes, if you can be sure that everything will get there after you do it shouldn't be much of a problem. Definitely no reason to spend more than one night sleeping on the floor.

User avatar
girlmonster
Posts: 280
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 10:46 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby girlmonster » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:34 am

moopness wrote:
Don't know if you've seen Armin at a festival yet but his mainstage performance are really, really terrible. He plays straight mainstream crap and little to no trance (as in actual, real trance). I'm saying this not to be a snob (even though I definitely am, I've come to terms with it, and if this post annoys anyone reading it I'm sorry) but so you may be less inclined to sacrifice seeing other better acts for Armin (e.g. SASHA, PvD, hell even Knife Party given their upcoming album). Also, if you can go Friday you should, the lineup is sick (Jeremy Olander, Fehrplay, Bonobo, Gesaff, Dubfire, Chris Liebing, Hot Since 82, Wolfgang, Zeds Dead...)


So when are you guys planning on flying into the city? Would it be a bad idea to book a flight to get in the morning of your move in date or is that tcr?


It's really interesting that you've had that xperience. I've seen Armin on mainstages many times, and his sets are always trance-heavy, and he usually gets into 140 bpm. The end of his set at TW was a little weird, but that's it. Normally I'd be more excited about PvD and Sasha, but their sets have been more hit-or-miss for me. Also, I'm too old to handle 3 days in a row. :P

Regarding your other question, I'm driving up, but I'm probably getting there right before my appt.

User avatar
girlmonster
Posts: 280
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 10:46 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby girlmonster » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:48 am

Posted twice for some reason.

minato
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon May 12, 2014 12:49 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby minato » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:29 am

Hey, I know this may have been answered, but are we allowed to delay our housing deposit until our loans are finished processing?

User avatar
girlmonster
Posts: 280
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 10:46 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby girlmonster » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:49 pm

minato wrote:Hey, I know this may have been answered, but are we allowed to delay our housing deposit until our loans are finished processing?


People said in previous years they did, but the housing office told me they have to take at least half of the deposit (a month's rent). However, that amount was able to be split up into halves. So basically, 1/2 of a month's rent was due by the decision deadline, and the other 1/2 had to be paid by August. Sorry if this is confusing!

User avatar
moopness
Posts: 310
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:56 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby moopness » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:00 pm

minato wrote:Hey, I know this may have been answered, but are we allowed to delay our housing deposit until our loans are finished processing?

I don't know if this happened to anyone else, but it happened to me so be wary: after I asked if I could wait till my loans are disbursed to pay the other half of the deposit they moved my housing assignment from a block away from the law school to 7. Don't know if that's normal or not but just a heads up.

User avatar
EquallyWrong
Posts: 3213
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:19 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby EquallyWrong » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:24 am

moopness wrote:
minato wrote:Hey, I know this may have been answered, but are we allowed to delay our housing deposit until our loans are finished processing?

I don't know if this happened to anyone else, but it happened to me so be wary: after I asked if I could wait till my loans are disbursed to pay the other half of the deposit they moved my housing assignment from a block away from the law school to 7. Don't know if that's normal or not but just a heads up.

...and this was before your deadline lapsed? I remember getting my assignment and then having a pretty tight window to pony up, like, within a week to make the payment. blah blah blah, Occam's razor...but, did they reassign you to a less desirable location before their stated deposit deadline? regardless, it sucks that they couldn't be more flexible, but I'm curious if there was any impropriety here (being a future law student and all).

User avatar
moopness
Posts: 310
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:56 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby moopness » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:13 am

EquallyWrong wrote:
moopness wrote:
minato wrote:Hey, I know this may have been answered, but are we allowed to delay our housing deposit until our loans are finished processing?

I don't know if this happened to anyone else, but it happened to me so be wary: after I asked if I could wait till my loans are disbursed to pay the other half of the deposit they moved my housing assignment from a block away from the law school to 7. Don't know if that's normal or not but just a heads up.

...and this was before your deadline lapsed? I remember getting my assignment and then having a pretty tight window to pony up, like, within a week to make the payment. blah blah blah, Occam's razor...but, did they reassign you to a less desirable location before their stated deposit deadline? regardless, it sucks that they couldn't be more flexible, but I'm curious if there was any impropriety here (being a future law student and all).

Yup it was before the deadline for the original deposit as I emailed them the day I got the assignment and was reassigned just a couple days later. I probably should have called them to ask them wtf because the new location is considerably more inconvenient (corner of Riverside and Tiemann vs 119th and Amsterdam). But I was way too busy with work so I just didn't have time to call them and said fuck it and deposited before I got reassigned to the Bronx or some shit. On the bright side I get to walk through the main quad every morning on my way to school, so that'll be a nice way to start the day.

Random question but did anyone register for the Community Service day?

User avatar
EquallyWrong
Posts: 3213
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:19 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby EquallyWrong » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:27 am

moopness wrote:Yup it was before the deadline for the original deposit as I emailed them the day I got the assignment and was reassigned just a couple days later. I probably should have called them to ask them wtf because the new location is considerably more inconvenient (corner of Riverside and Tiemann vs 119th and Amsterdam). But I was way too busy with work so I just didn't have time to call them and said fuck it and deposited before I got reassigned to the Bronx or some shit.
This is pretty shabby behavior. Definitely something I would consider bringing up with the appropriate people...

User avatar
runthetrap
Posts: 141
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:49 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby runthetrap » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:11 am

girlmonster wrote:
moopness wrote:
Don't know if you've seen Armin at a festival yet but his mainstage performance are really, really terrible. He plays straight mainstream crap and little to no trance (as in actual, real trance). I'm saying this not to be a snob (even though I definitely am, I've come to terms with it, and if this post annoys anyone reading it I'm sorry) but so you may be less inclined to sacrifice seeing other better acts for Armin (e.g. SASHA, PvD, hell even Knife Party given their upcoming album). Also, if you can go Friday you should, the lineup is sick (Jeremy Olander, Fehrplay, Bonobo, Gesaff, Dubfire, Chris Liebing, Hot Since 82, Wolfgang, Zeds Dead...)


So when are you guys planning on flying into the city? Would it be a bad idea to book a flight to get in the morning of your move in date or is that tcr?


It's really interesting that you've had that xperience. I've seen Armin on mainstages many times, and his sets are always trance-heavy, and he usually gets into 140 bpm. The end of his set at TW was a little weird, but that's it. Normally I'd be more excited about PvD and Sasha, but their sets have been more hit-or-miss for me. Also, I'm too old to handle 3 days in a row. :P

Regarding your other question, I'm driving up, but I'm probably getting there right before my appt.


i'm not a huge trancehead or anything but i can appreciate an amazing set (of any genre) when i see one, and armin's closing set at ezoo three years ago made me understand how he's repeatedly been ranked the best dj in the world. i didn't think he was lamestream at all -- his set was very trance-heavy, and he definitely stayed at 140 bmp for most of his set i think.

damn, all this dance music talk has gotten me wanting to go again this year, but i'm balking at the saturday and sunday prices. might just go on friday, the lineup is absolutely sick. been dying to see gesaffelstein and hot since 82, seen wolfgang, zeds dead & bonobo but they're some of my favorites so i'd like to see them again. moopness u have fantastic taste

User avatar
runthetrap
Posts: 141
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:49 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby runthetrap » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:15 am

moopness wrote:
EquallyWrong wrote:...and this was before your deadline lapsed? I remember getting my assignment and then having a pretty tight window to pony up, like, within a week to make the payment. blah blah blah, Occam's razor...but, did they reassign you to a less desirable location before their stated deposit deadline? regardless, it sucks that they couldn't be more flexible, but I'm curious if there was any impropriety here (being a future law student and all).

Yup it was before the deadline for the original deposit as I emailed them the day I got the assignment and was reassigned just a couple days later. I probably should have called them to ask them wtf because the new location is considerably more inconvenient (corner of Riverside and Tiemann vs 119th and Amsterdam). But I was way too busy with work so I just didn't have time to call them and said fuck it and deposited before I got reassigned to the Bronx or some shit. On the bright side I get to walk through the main quad every morning on my way to school, so that'll be a nice way to start the day.

Random question but did anyone register for the Community Service day?


wow, that's really sus. sorry that happened to you :(

also wondering if anyone signed up for the community service day -- i want to! any takers?

User avatar
cws277
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:11 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby cws277 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:26 am

moopness wrote:
EquallyWrong wrote:
moopness wrote:
minato wrote:Hey, I know this may have been answered, but are we allowed to delay our housing deposit until our loans are finished processing?

I don't know if this happened to anyone else, but it happened to me so be wary: after I asked if I could wait till my loans are disbursed to pay the other half of the deposit they moved my housing assignment from a block away from the law school to 7. Don't know if that's normal or not but just a heads up.

...and this was before your deadline lapsed? I remember getting my assignment and then having a pretty tight window to pony up, like, within a week to make the payment. blah blah blah, Occam's razor...but, did they reassign you to a less desirable location before their stated deposit deadline? regardless, it sucks that they couldn't be more flexible, but I'm curious if there was any impropriety here (being a future law student and all).

considerably more inconvenient (corner of Riverside and Tiemann vs 119th and Amsterdam).

I know that you probably wanted to be closer to the law school, but I live in this building and it's excellent. Huge and very nice apartments and the rent is dramatically cheaper than average because distance from campus is a huge factor in the rental calculation. You get used to the walk (takes me 14 minutes), or I'd recommend getting a bike. And the neighborhood is excellent, you're a block from Dinosaur BBQ and two blocks from Fairway.

User avatar
moopness
Posts: 310
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:56 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby moopness » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:08 pm

cws277 wrote:
moopness wrote:considerably more inconvenient (corner of Riverside and Tiemann vs 119th and Amsterdam).

I know that you probably wanted to be closer to the law school, but I live in this building and it's excellent. Huge and very nice apartments and the rent is dramatically cheaper than average because distance from campus is a huge factor in the rental calculation. You get used to the walk (takes me 14 minutes), or I'd recommend getting a bike. And the neighborhood is excellent, you're a block from Dinosaur BBQ and two blocks from Fairway.

This is so great to hear, thank you!!




Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest