Columbia Class of 2017

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)

When will you be moving in / to NYC?

Already in the city / before end of June
4
8%
Early or mid-July
1
2%
End of July
5
10%
August 1~4
7
14%
August 5~8
12
24%
August 9~12
12
24%
August 13~15
6
12%
After August 15, because IDGAF
3
6%
 
Total votes: 50

User avatar
moopness
Posts: 310
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:56 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby moopness » Fri May 30, 2014 4:19 pm

waferthinmint wrote:
moopness wrote:
papercut wrote:Part of me wants to drive across the country in a rental.

I live in Cali, but I would fucking LOVE to do this, if it weren't so god damn expensive :(


WAIT. I'M FROM CALI. holla at milkandcheerios too. CALI TO NY CARPOOL ROADTRIP?!!?

milkandcheerios wrote:OMG so down. but like for reals if someone planned it haha. I think i'm too young to rent anything.


Holy shiiiit let's actually do this! That would be such a fucking sick way to start off 1L! Assuming we could get someone to rent something (cuz I'm only 23, think you gotta be 25). But let's actually look into it? I've always wanted to do a cross country road trip haha, probably won't have the chance ever again after law school starts.
papercut wrote:
It sounds tempting, perhaps we should start with a meetup? I'm in the bay area.

YEA, let's at least do a little meetup (I'm from Sac, but can drive to the yay area), that would be dope. I know this is all probably going to fall through and not happen but this would be so epic if it did! :D

drevo
Posts: 280
Joined: Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:49 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby drevo » Fri May 30, 2014 4:31 pm

.
Last edited by drevo on Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
EquallyWrong
Posts: 3213
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:19 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby EquallyWrong » Fri May 30, 2014 4:40 pm

huzzah! got my assignment, with floor plan.

User avatar
jace8819
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:39 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby jace8819 » Fri May 30, 2014 5:10 pm

You can actually still rent if you aren't 25, you just usually pay an extra fee. Found that out one year when our friend's car broke down on the way home from Coachella. I was able to rent a car when I was only 21.


Just to point out, if you were able to pay a fee to still rent a car even though you were under 25, it is probably worth noting that each driver under 25 would likely have to pay the fee in order to actually be an authorized driver for the car... Otherwise, if you were an unauthorized driver and you had the misfortune of being involved in an accident, the authorized driver could potentially get screwed pretty hard.

I think rental car insurance only covers the liability of authorized drivers, and if they allow someone else to drive the car and an accident happens then they have to pay the full cost of repair, with no help from insurance. Not sure though and it might vary based on the specific terms and conditions of the rental company, but I would put your 0L legal skills to good use and read that fine print. There's my absolutely speculative two cents.

drevo
Posts: 280
Joined: Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:49 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby drevo » Fri May 30, 2014 5:31 pm

.
Last edited by drevo on Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
FuriousDuck
Posts: 507
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:33 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby FuriousDuck » Fri May 30, 2014 6:36 pm

...
Last edited by FuriousDuck on Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
EquallyWrong
Posts: 3213
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:19 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby EquallyWrong » Fri May 30, 2014 6:54 pm

lazy, but what exactly do they mean by appointment and appointment time? is this when you are gonna dump your stuff or is there something else involved?

User avatar
FuriousDuck
Posts: 507
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:33 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby FuriousDuck » Fri May 30, 2014 6:58 pm

...
Last edited by FuriousDuck on Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drevo
Posts: 280
Joined: Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:49 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby drevo » Fri May 30, 2014 7:26 pm

.
Last edited by drevo on Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jace8819
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:39 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby jace8819 » Fri May 30, 2014 7:39 pm

EquallyWrong wrote:lazy, but what exactly do they mean by appointment and appointment time? is this when you are gonna dump your stuff or is there something else involved?


Your appointment/appointment time is when you are expected to be at the UAH offices to sign your lease and pick up your keys maybe?

That's what I would guess/am guessing...based on nothing.

User avatar
milkandcheerios
Posts: 295
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:58 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby milkandcheerios » Fri May 30, 2014 9:10 pm

Yay! Housing assignment as well. 529 West 111th Street for under a grand. But my move in date is the 15th. Isn't that when orientation is? Definitely wasn't my first choice (those liars), how do I change it?

User avatar
EquallyWrong
Posts: 3213
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:19 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby EquallyWrong » Fri May 30, 2014 11:08 pm

jace8819 wrote:Your appointment/appointment time is when you are expected to be at the UAH offices to sign your lease and pick up your keys maybe?

That's what I would guess/am guessing...based on nothing.

it's a solid theory. did a forehead smack followed by "oh that's right you need keys to get into apartments."

leeway89
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:20 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby leeway89 » Fri May 30, 2014 11:53 pm

milkandcheerios wrote:Yay! Housing assignment as well. 529 West 111th Street for under a grand. But my move in date is the 15th. Isn't that when orientation is? Definitely wasn't my first choice (those liars), how do I change it?

I might be mistaken about the exact location but the appts I saw on 111th st were sweet.

User avatar
milkandcheerios
Posts: 295
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:58 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby milkandcheerios » Sat May 31, 2014 12:34 am

leeway89 wrote:
milkandcheerios wrote:Yay! Housing assignment as well. 529 West 111th Street for under a grand. But my move in date is the 15th. Isn't that when orientation is? Definitely wasn't my first choice (those liars), how do I change it?

I might be mistaken about the exact location but the appts I saw on 111th st were sweet.


Oooh tell me more! I didn't go to ASW so I have no idea what any of the apartments look like.

User avatar
zen
Posts: 77
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:31 am

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby zen » Sat May 31, 2014 8:04 am

drevo wrote:You can actually still rent if you aren't 25, you just usually pay an extra fee. Found that out one year when our friend's car broke down on the way home from Coachella. I was able to rent a car when I was only 21.


You can actually get the under 25 fee waived and a cheaper rate to start off with if you do a quick google search for rental contracts for the company you are renting from. Suuuuure, you may possibly be committing fraud, but no one ever checks. And I won't tell.

User avatar
Jessasaurus
Posts: 289
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:02 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby Jessasaurus » Sat May 31, 2014 12:06 pm

Has anyone who applied for law school only housing gotten their assignments yet?

User avatar
kitkat288
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:43 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby kitkat288 » Sat May 31, 2014 12:08 pm

milkandcheerios wrote:
leeway89 wrote:
milkandcheerios wrote:Yay! Housing assignment as well. 529 West 111th Street for under a grand. But my move in date is the 15th. Isn't that when orientation is? Definitely wasn't my first choice (those liars), how do I change it?

I might be mistaken about the exact location but the appts I saw on 111th st were sweet.


Oooh tell me more! I didn't go to ASW so I have no idea what any of the apartments look like.



I am elsewhere on 111th, so tell me more too :p

User avatar
FOM
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:18 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby FOM » Sat May 31, 2014 1:48 pm

Jessasaurus wrote:Has anyone who applied for law school only housing gotten their assignments yet?


Nothin yet, I imagine we'll get them next week

jdapplicant
Posts: 251
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:05 am

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby jdapplicant » Sat May 31, 2014 5:45 pm

zen wrote:
drevo wrote:You can actually still rent if you aren't 25, you just usually pay an extra fee. Found that out one year when our friend's car broke down on the way home from Coachella. I was able to rent a car when I was only 21.


You can actually get the under 25 fee waived and a cheaper rate to start off with if you do a quick google search for rental contracts for the company you are renting from. Suuuuure, you may possibly be committing fraud, but no one ever checks. And I won't tell.


The drop-off price is ridiculous. I called a few to different companies and they were all around $450 just for the drop-off, not including the daily rental charge. On the bright side, it's not that much more for being under 25.

AdInfinitum
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:22 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby AdInfinitum » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:59 am

Has anyone successfully been able to defer their UAH down payment until loans are disbursed? Who'd you email?

I have to deposit on by June 4th, and while I could borrow the funds from my parents until the loans come out I'd rather not have to.

User avatar
tlsapp2017
Posts: 205
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:14 am

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby tlsapp2017 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:52 am

FOM wrote:
Jessasaurus wrote:Has anyone who applied for law school only housing gotten their assignments yet?


Nothin yet, I imagine we'll get them next week


+1

User avatar
FOM
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:18 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby FOM » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:33 am

Really wish the Rangers had waited until next year to make the SC finals. Being in NYC for that series would have been awesome...

Anyone else bored of summer yet? Nothing to do here, thank god for the World Cup

User avatar
Balthy
Posts: 668
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby Balthy » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:44 am

FOM wrote:Really wish the Rangers had waited until next year to make the SC finals. Being in NYC for that series would have been awesome...

Anyone else bored of summer yet? Nothing to do here, thank god for the World Cup



i'm in south america now. there was a small earthquake after every score during the champions league final. the city i'm in even banned alcohol during contentious games bc people kept killing each other lol. definitely excited about the world cup!

User avatar
FuriousDuck
Posts: 507
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:33 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby FuriousDuck » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:03 am

...
Last edited by FuriousDuck on Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
dc91
Posts: 289
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:54 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby dc91 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:33 am

AdInfinitum wrote:Has anyone successfully been able to defer their UAH down payment until loans are disbursed? Who'd you email?

I have to deposit on by June 4th, and while I could borrow the funds from my parents until the loans come out I'd rather not have to.


I called the office and they lowered my payment to one month rent as opposed to two which is enough to make it doable for me. Apparently they do require at least some money down, but I get the feeling they would have gone lower than one month rent. I also got my move in date changed and found out the square footage of my room (floorplan isn't available). Make of this what you will.




Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests