Columbia Class of 2017

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)

When will you be moving in / to NYC?

Already in the city / before end of June
3
6%
Early or mid-July
1
2%
End of July
5
10%
August 1~4
7
14%
August 5~8
12
24%
August 9~12
12
24%
August 13~15
6
12%
After August 15, because IDGAF
3
6%
 
Total votes: 49

User avatar
papercut
Posts: 1445
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:48 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby papercut » Wed May 28, 2014 2:33 pm

francesfarmer wrote:
jdapplicant wrote:
girlmonster wrote:I took the M60 bus from LGA, and it was pretty easy (and cheap). I only traveled with a carry-on and a backpack, though. If you're carrying a lot of luggage, the AirTrain or a cab would probably be better.

ETA: If you're carrying a lot of luggage, you probably won't want to transfer from the AirTrain to the A bus, either. So then a cab from LGA might be ideal. I'm not from NYC, but the estimated fare online says it's about $30. FWIW, my friends who take cabs from LGA to midtown have said that is about $25.


If you're carrying a lot of luggage, public transit would be a huge hassle, especially from JFK. It's a pretty long commute.

Cabs will probably be a good bit more than the $30 and $25 estimates. LGA is much cheaper, but from JFK to MSH it can be over $55, not including tip.

Cabs from JFK are $52 flat rate, plus tip.

LGA doesn't service cross-country flights, so you can't fly there nonstop from the West coast.

Airtrain from JFK is a huge pain in the ass. There is no 116th street stop on the A (that's a local stop) and the 125th street A station is a trek and a half from the law school, especially with luggage.

TLDR take a cab from JFK!


Sometimes towncars are cheaper than taxis. I know this is the case for long car trips from SFO.

User avatar
Tariffs
Posts: 95
Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:55 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby Tariffs » Wed May 28, 2014 2:47 pm

Graduated from undergrad on Sunday, just makes CLS feel all the realer. Does anyone know which dean we're supposed to get the cert signed by? For instance, is it for the dean of my undergraduate college or my dean of students?

User avatar
francesfarmer
Posts: 1409
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:52 am

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby francesfarmer » Wed May 28, 2014 2:51 pm

papercut wrote:
francesfarmer wrote:
jdapplicant wrote:
girlmonster wrote:I took the M60 bus from LGA, and it was pretty easy (and cheap). I only traveled with a carry-on and a backpack, though. If you're carrying a lot of luggage, the AirTrain or a cab would probably be better.

ETA: If you're carrying a lot of luggage, you probably won't want to transfer from the AirTrain to the A bus, either. So then a cab from LGA might be ideal. I'm not from NYC, but the estimated fare online says it's about $30. FWIW, my friends who take cabs from LGA to midtown have said that is about $25.


If you're carrying a lot of luggage, public transit would be a huge hassle, especially from JFK. It's a pretty long commute.

Cabs will probably be a good bit more than the $30 and $25 estimates. LGA is much cheaper, but from JFK to MSH it can be over $55, not including tip.

Cabs from JFK are $52 flat rate, plus tip.

LGA doesn't service cross-country flights, so you can't fly there nonstop from the West coast.

Airtrain from JFK is a huge pain in the ass. There is no 116th street stop on the A (that's a local stop) and the 125th street A station is a trek and a half from the law school, especially with luggage.

TLDR take a cab from JFK!


Sometimes towncars are cheaper than taxis. I know this is the case for long car trips from SFO.

Towncars (AKA gypsy cabs) are totally cheaper than taxis, if you negotiate the fare beforehand.

User avatar
papercut
Posts: 1445
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:48 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby papercut » Wed May 28, 2014 2:55 pm

Tariffs wrote:Graduated from undergrad on Sunday, just makes CLS feel all the realer. Does anyone know which dean we're supposed to get the cert signed by? For instance, is it for the dean of my undergraduate college or my dean of students?


It doesn't have to be a dean at all, it can be an administrator. The form provided by CLS says "dean/administrator" or something like that.

I think it works differently depending on your UG. I just emailed my registrar's office and they took care of it.

bitcheslovecake
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:33 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby bitcheslovecake » Wed May 28, 2014 3:09 pm

milkandcheerios wrote:I don't think I want to deal with transfers of any kind with luggage, especially since i'm unfamiliar with public transport in the city. $30 bucks isn't too bad for a cab, I was expecting it to be a lot more. Thanks for the suggestions!

On a related note, I wanted to wait until housing assignments to book my plane tickets too but they'll only get more expensive if I keep waiting. I called the school and they said that I will most likely get my first choice move in date, but if i'm worried about getting to Columbia too early and having to find a hotel, I should just book a plane ticket for a later-ish date just in case. They suggested the 12th of August. I'm still trying to decided if I should take their advice because i'd like to move in a little bit earlier. But if anyone else is having the same conundrum, I thought I'd pass along what I was told.


If you can promise that you are not a crazy person, you can crash on my floor if you do not get your first choice move-in date :)

bitcheslovecake
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:33 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby bitcheslovecake » Wed May 28, 2014 3:17 pm

For those who are going to fly in:
http://blogs.law.columbia.edu/apalsacon ... ting-here/

You can fly from California to LGA but it's a 1-stop trip - my sister did that a few times. From my experience, flying to LGA is (generally) cheaper than JFK... I used to fly from DTW to LGA in college since it was $30+ cheaper.

User avatar
milkandcheerios
Posts: 295
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:58 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby milkandcheerios » Thu May 29, 2014 12:12 am

I wouldn't mind a one stop trip if LGA is cheaper and closer to CLS. Ireally wish it was practical to drive from California.I have so much stuff left over from undergrad,such a shame to have to buy it again.

@bitcheslovecake thanks for the offer, I swear i'm not crazy but hopefully i'll get my first choice move in date and it'll all work out

User avatar
papercut
Posts: 1445
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:48 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby papercut » Thu May 29, 2014 11:24 am

"Scholarship Opportunity" email.

Anyone else glad they don't meet any of the requirements just so you don't have to feel guilty about not wanting to fill out any more forms?

User avatar
FuriousDuck
Posts: 507
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:33 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby FuriousDuck » Thu May 29, 2014 12:06 pm

...
Last edited by FuriousDuck on Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AustinJennings
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:53 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby AustinJennings » Thu May 29, 2014 1:11 pm

papercut wrote:"Scholarship Opportunity" email.

Anyone else glad they don't meet any of the requirements just so you don't have to feel guilty about not wanting to fill out any more forms?



Damn I knew should have learned Estonian in UG....

User avatar
papercut
Posts: 1445
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:48 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby papercut » Thu May 29, 2014 1:29 pm

AustinJennings wrote:
papercut wrote:"Scholarship Opportunity" email.

Anyone else glad they don't meet any of the requirements just so you don't have to feel guilty about not wanting to fill out any more forms?



Damn I knew should have learned Estonian in UG....

:lol:

I wonder if we could pool together a ~$500 fellowship, but with the req. that you have to speak Basque and Cherokee?

AustinJennings
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:53 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby AustinJennings » Thu May 29, 2014 1:44 pm

papercut wrote:
AustinJennings wrote:
papercut wrote:"Scholarship Opportunity" email.

Anyone else glad they don't meet any of the requirements just so you don't have to feel guilty about not wanting to fill out any more forms?



Damn I knew should have learned Estonian in UG....

:lol:

I wonder if we could pool together a ~$500 fellowship, but with the req. that you have to speak Basque and Cherokee?



But only if you were born in Nebraska and went to University in South Sudan

User avatar
papercut
Posts: 1445
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:48 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby papercut » Thu May 29, 2014 1:53 pm

AustinJennings wrote:
papercut wrote:
AustinJennings wrote:
papercut wrote:"Scholarship Opportunity" email.

Anyone else glad they don't meet any of the requirements just so you don't have to feel guilty about not wanting to fill out any more forms?



Damn I knew should have learned Estonian in UG....

:lol:

I wonder if we could pool together a ~$500 fellowship, but with the req. that you have to speak Basque and Cherokee?



But only if you were born in Nebraska and went to University in South Sudan


Someone get a CLS c/o 2017 Fellowship kickstarter going pls.

User avatar
buffalo_
Posts: 310
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:45 am

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby buffalo_ » Thu May 29, 2014 2:01 pm

Housing approved...?

ETA:

Got an email that said my application was approved, but I have not yet been assigned housing.

False alarm.

User avatar
Jessasaurus
Posts: 289
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:02 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby Jessasaurus » Thu May 29, 2014 5:26 pm

buffalo_ wrote:Housing approved...?

ETA:

Got an email that said my application was approved, but I have not yet been assigned housing.

False alarm.


When did you submit?

Edit: because I can't remember if I got an email like that or not

User avatar
papercut
Posts: 1445
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:48 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby papercut » Thu May 29, 2014 5:33 pm

Jessasaurus wrote:
buffalo_ wrote:Housing approved...?

ETA:

Got an email that said my application was approved, but I have not yet been assigned housing.

False alarm.


When did you submit?

Edit: because I can't remember if I got an email like that or not


I just checked, I never got an "approved" message, but I did just go check my status here: https://uah.facilities.columbia.edu/

User avatar
jace8819
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:39 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby jace8819 » Thu May 29, 2014 5:51 pm

buffalo_ wrote:Housing approved...?

ETA:

Got an email that said my application was approved, but I have not yet been assigned housing.

False alarm.


+1. I got super excited... before looking at my housing portal and noticing that nothing at all had changed.

Also: checking in, apparently.

User avatar
Jessasaurus
Posts: 289
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:02 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby Jessasaurus » Thu May 29, 2014 5:52 pm

papercut wrote:
Jessasaurus wrote:
buffalo_ wrote:Housing approved...?

ETA:

Got an email that said my application was approved, but I have not yet been assigned housing.

False alarm.


When did you submit?

Edit: because I can't remember if I got an email like that or not


I just checked, I never got an "approved" message, but I did just go check my status here: https://uah.facilities.columbia.edu/


Mine just says received :(

User avatar
papercut
Posts: 1445
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:48 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby papercut » Thu May 29, 2014 5:56 pm

Jessasaurus wrote:Mine just says received :(


Same for mine. I applied a few days before the deadline.

bitcheslovecake
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:33 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby bitcheslovecake » Thu May 29, 2014 6:14 pm

Are any of you going to Bonnaroo (the music festival) that's coming up in 2 weeks?

User avatar
scoobysnax
Posts: 208
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:51 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby scoobysnax » Thu May 29, 2014 8:08 pm

UAH assignments are starting to go out!!!! My friend just got his.. ahh I hate this wait!

User avatar
EquallyWrong
Posts: 3213
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:19 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby EquallyWrong » Thu May 29, 2014 9:59 pm

papercut wrote:
Jessasaurus wrote:Mine just says received :(


Same for mine. I applied a few days before the deadline.

no movement on mine. might end up living in the subway tunnels...so if anyone doesn't get housing you're welcome to live with me in my underkingdom...we will breed rats large enough to ride places on/commit train robberies with.

User avatar
FuriousDuck
Posts: 507
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:33 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby FuriousDuck » Thu May 29, 2014 11:29 pm

...
Last edited by FuriousDuck on Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
milkandcheerios
Posts: 295
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:58 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby milkandcheerios » Fri May 30, 2014 12:04 am

I also got the UAH approved email. It says that housing assignments will be made from May to June but we already knew that. I submitted my housing app back in March. I just want to know already.

Edit: for all of you who didn't get the email, is UAH not your first choice? The email specifically referred to UAH and not law school only housing.

User avatar
girlmonster
Posts: 280
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 10:46 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Postby girlmonster » Fri May 30, 2014 12:16 am

milkandcheerios wrote:I also got the UAH approved email. It says that housing assignments will be made from May to June but we already knew that. I submitted my housing app back in March. I just want to know already.

Edit: for all of you who didn't get the email, is UAH not your first choice? The email specifically referred to UAH and not law school only housing.

I haven't received the e-mail, and UAH was my first choice. When did you get the e-mail?

ETA: Mine also says "received," and I submitted in March.




Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest