Columbia Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)

When will you be moving in / to NYC?

Already in the city / before end of June
8%
Early or mid-July
2%
End of July
10%
August 1~4
14%
August 5~8
24%
August 9~12
24%
August 13~15
12%
After August 15, because IDGAF
8%

Total votes: 51

Michigan1442

New

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Post by Michigan1442 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:40 am

Hey guys, I am filling out these financial aid forms and I can't figure out what my Columbia ID number is --- I feel like I've seen it somewhere, but I've been thoroughly searching the Admitted Students website and acceptance materials for the past hour and can't seem to find it anywhere. Does anyone know where I can find it?

Gary

Bronze

Post by Gary » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:26 pm

anyone go to Mondays at Columbia today? impressions? :)
Michigan1442 wrote:Hey guys, I am filling out these financial aid forms and I can't figure out what my Columbia ID number is --- I feel like I've seen it somewhere, but I've been thoroughly searching the Admitted Students website and acceptance materials for the past hour and can't seem to find it anywhere. Does anyone know where I can find it?
it's on your initial acceptance letter than came with the blue envelope along with your log in e-mail

Michigan1442

New

Post by Michigan1442 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:31 pm

Gary wrote:anyone go to Mondays at Columbia today? impressions? :)
Michigan1442 wrote:Hey guys, I am filling out these financial aid forms and I can't figure out what my Columbia ID number is --- I feel like I've seen it somewhere, but I've been thoroughly searching the Admitted Students website and acceptance materials for the past hour and can't seem to find it anywhere. Does anyone know where I can find it?
it's on your initial acceptance letter than came with the blue envelope along with your log in e-mail
The 5-digit PIN number?

Gary

Bronze

Post by Gary » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:48 am

Michigan1442 wrote:
The 5-digit PIN number?
Yes

Marshmallow

Bronze

Post by Marshmallow » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:56 am

Theopliske8711 wrote:
Marshmallow wrote:checking in! not quite sure why Columbia accepted me so quickly, and before higher numbers applicants, but can't complain :D

i'm about to go back through this thread in hopes of finding more info re: do we really have to send copies of tax documents? can that be done via email? i think the only other school i've applied to that requests this is cornell. hmmmmm

ETA: just finished reading through. seems like March 1 is not a hard deadline? haven't yet logged into ASW so that's my next step :)

You will need to send them for need-access stuff.

So I'm just about done with my need access and fafsa, and I'm still a little confused on this one thing. am I missing something, or is it NOT required to send in actual copies of your 2013 tax documents (w/ w-2s, all schedules, etc.) for need access? and is that requirement, then, actually Columbia-specific? Also, do we send those documents to the finaid dept. via regular mail, or is email better? financial aid makes me feel like an idiot (who is poor) :oops: :oops: :oops: thanks in advance for any feedback

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Michigan1442

New

Post by Michigan1442 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:12 am

Gary wrote:
Michigan1442 wrote:
The 5-digit PIN number?
Yes
Ok, did not realize that. Thank you so much!

Gary

Bronze

Post by Gary » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:21 am

Wait I think I read your question wrong :oops: I'm so sorry! I'm not sure what the id number is.. I thought you were talking about the website login. Sorry!!

Michigan1442

New

Post by Michigan1442 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:28 am

Gary wrote:Wait I think I read your question wrong :oops: I'm so sorry! I'm not sure what the id number is.. I thought you were talking about the website login. Sorry!!
Oh ok! It's ok haha no problem at all. Yeah I don't know what the ID number is either, I could have sworn I saw something that said something like C###### but I could be thinking of another school. Maybe we don't have one yet.

neprep

Silver

Post by neprep » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:54 pm

Marshmallow wrote:
Theopliske8711 wrote:
Marshmallow wrote:checking in! not quite sure why Columbia accepted me so quickly, and before higher numbers applicants, but can't complain :D

i'm about to go back through this thread in hopes of finding more info re: do we really have to send copies of tax documents? can that be done via email? i think the only other school i've applied to that requests this is cornell. hmmmmm

ETA: just finished reading through. seems like March 1 is not a hard deadline? haven't yet logged into ASW so that's my next step :)

So I'm just about done with my need access and fafsa, and I'm still a little confused on this one thing. am I missing something, or is it NOT required to send in actual copies of your 2013 tax documents (w/ w-2s, all schedules, etc.) for need access? and is that requirement, then, actually Columbia-specific? Also, do we send those documents to the finaid dept. via regular mail, or is email better? financial aid makes me feel like an idiot (who is poor) :oops: :oops: :oops: thanks in advance for any feedback
You do have to send in the 2013 (or 2012 for an estimated award consideration) tax forms. I think what might have you confused is that this is only a requirement for admitted students, not for those who are just sending the forms in to meet the deadline and are still waiting for a decision from CLS.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Marshmallow

Bronze

Post by Marshmallow » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:13 pm

neprep wrote:
Marshmallow wrote:
Theopliske8711 wrote:

You do have to send in the 2013 (or 2012 for an estimated award consideration) tax forms. I think what might have you confused is that this is only a requirement for admitted students, not for those who are just sending the forms in to meet the deadline and are still waiting for a decision from CLS.
thanks, nep! (i feel like i maybe don't have enough TLS street cred to call you that? lol) do you know whether this is the case for all schools that use need access? that is, once admitted, you've got to send that stuff along?

eta: i just realized that i maybe need to ask this elsewhere, but if someone here knows, that would be great, too :)

neprep

Silver

Post by neprep » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:22 pm

Marshmallow wrote: thanks, nep! (i feel like i maybe don't have enough TLS street cred to call you that? lol) do you know whether this is the case for all schools that use need access? that is, once admitted, you've got to send that stuff along?

eta: i just realized that i maybe need to ask this elsewhere, but if someone here knows, that would be great, too :)
Haha no worries. No, I think this is somewhat unique to CLS, although you might want to check around. NYU actually went so far as to say that if you send them tax forms they will have to "destroy" them for legal reasons.

thewaves

Bronze

Post by thewaves » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:30 am

Anyone else get that huge package today from CLS? It is insane.

malleus discentium

Silver

Post by malleus discentium » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:50 am

thewaves wrote:Anyone else get that huge package today from CLS? It is insane.
Lol yeah. I'd rather just have like a shirt for what it probably cost them the produce and ship that pamphlet yacht.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thewaves

Bronze

Post by thewaves » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:16 am

malleus discentium wrote:
thewaves wrote:Anyone else get that huge package today from CLS? It is insane.
Lol yeah. I'd rather just have like a shirt for what it probably cost them the produce and ship that pamphlet yacht.
How many trees did they kill?? *Ignores Columbia's environmental law program now*

illyria

New

Post by illyria » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:30 am

I also have a question about the financial aid application process.

As a Hamilton recipient, if I want to get loans for living expenses, etc., do I go through the same process as someone who would apply for need-based aid, and submit 2013 tax forms and Columbia's separate form? I've already done FAFSA.

almondjoy

Bronze

Post by almondjoy » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:50 pm

Last edited by almondjoy on Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pinklemon

New

Post by Pinklemon » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:56 pm

Hey guys! Is the march 1 deadline for financial aid only for Columbia need based grants? Based on the pamphlet I am pretty positive that I will not qualify for any of that, but I am going to need to pay for basically all expenses through government loans. But that being the case my forms wouldn't need to be in until later on?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

t14splitter

Bronze

Post by t14splitter » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:11 pm

How are people submitting the Columbia aid form? Fax/Mail/Email?

Theopliske8711

Gold

Post by Theopliske8711 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:32 pm

Do you need to send originals?

3iggam

New

Post by 3iggam » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:06 pm

Michigan1442 wrote:
Gary wrote:Wait I think I read your question wrong :oops: I'm so sorry! I'm not sure what the id number is.. I thought you were talking about the website login. Sorry!!
Oh ok! It's ok haha no problem at all. Yeah I don't know what the ID number is either, I could have sworn I saw something that said something like C###### but I could be thinking of another school. Maybe we don't have one yet.

Yeah the CID is Cxxxxxxxxxxx. According to Admit website, they should be emailing us this though I have yet to receive it.

chicky

New

Post by chicky » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:14 pm

3iggam wrote:
Michigan1442 wrote:

Yeah the CID is Cxxxxxxxxxxx. According to Admit website, they should be emailing us this though I have yet to receive it.
The 3rd page of the Aid form that requires CID and projected loan amount isn't required for incoming students, according to the person I spoke with at the financial aid office. She said we're supposed to ignore that entirely (it's for returning students who are resubmitting aid applications).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

3iggam

New

Post by 3iggam » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:16 pm

chicky wrote:
3iggam wrote:
Michigan1442 wrote:

The 3rd page of the Aid form that requires CID and projected loan amount isn't required for incoming students, according to the person I spoke with at the financial aid office. She said we're supposed to ignore that entirely (it's for returning students who are resubmitting aid applications).
Still, we need it to apply for housing. We should be expecting it sometime in the near future if we are to make that May deadline. https://web.law.columbia.edu/admissions ... ll/housing

Theopliske8711

Gold

Post by Theopliske8711 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:04 pm

Damn it CLS. I want a coffee mug, or a sports bottle. Stop with the paper weight books!

jdapplicant

Bronze

Post by jdapplicant » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:35 pm

I got a travel stipend for their Admitted Students Days! I got the email yesterday.

Edit: btw my request got denied by NYU

Typhoon24

Silver

Post by Typhoon24 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:32 pm

Checkin in , guys! :)

Was accepted about 10 days ago but finally convinced myself today that I'd take cls over berkeley unless cal offered some serious $ (which they won't in my case). So, unless a miracle (HYS) happens, I'll be seeing you guys next year in MSH!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”