Columbia Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)

When will you be moving in / to NYC?

Already in the city / before end of June
8%
Early or mid-July
2%
End of July
10%
August 1~4
14%
August 5~8
24%
August 9~12
24%
August 13~15
12%
After August 15, because IDGAF
8%

Total votes: 51

ph5354a

Gold

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Post by ph5354a » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:13 pm

milkandcheerios wrote:
ph5354a wrote:
milkandcheerios wrote:Do you guys think using an iPad w/ a keyboard for taking notes in class is doable?
Meh, unclear. I tried an ipad without an external keyboard and found that my typing speed slowed down too much to take adequate notes. Legal Methods, if your prof allows laptops, is a good time to try out different note-taking methods and see what works for you. Though if you also plan to take reading notes electronically, you might find that an iPad makes it too difficult to have multiple windows open at once during class. Also use Evernote, and then your notes will be available on all your devices regardless.

ETA: I just realized this was the c/o 2017 thread and not the ask 1Ls thread. I hope you're not offended by my unsolicited advice.
Not at all! Your advice is appreciated.

Should some notes not be taken electronically? I actually prefer to hand write my notes; i did it all through my undergrad, but I thought it would be a good time to switch to typed notes in law school.
It's entirely up to what works for you, and you'll find that you want to switch up your technique based on the prof. There are still a not-insignificant number of profs that don't allow laptops, so it's wise not to lose your ability to take handwritten notes. I definitely had friends that found they were too distracted by having a laptop and took handwritten notes in most classes regardless, and it didn't affect their performance in the least. But I type over 100wpm and still found there were times that I would be typing furiously and still miss something and then have to turn to my neighbor frantically after class like "OMG I MISSED THE END OF THE RULE WHAT WAS THAT ABOUT THE UNBORN WIDOW?!?!?' so it's highly likely that you'll veer away from handwritten notes for that reason.

scoobysnax

Bronze

Post by scoobysnax » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:57 pm

ShrimpToastMasters wrote:kk - we should plan something for Monday (because who has anything to do on a Monday anyways, psha)
I'm in!

astaris

New

Post by astaris » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:07 pm

Longtime lurker (hello!)

So just wondering about the move-in process...is our move-in time the time we should arrive at the UAH office to fill out our paperwork and such, or is that the time we should actually anticipate getting our keys from the building super and moving in?

KingFish

Bronze

Post by KingFish » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:43 am

astaris wrote:Longtime lurker (hello!)

So just wondering about the move-in process...is our move-in time the time we should arrive at the UAH office to fill out our paperwork and such, or is that the time we should actually anticipate getting our keys from the building super and moving in?
It's the time you should arrive at UAH.

EquallyWrong

Gold

Post by EquallyWrong » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:42 am

got a pretty dire email warning about getting my shot records in, spun up the freakout machine, but then when I checked Columbia's health website there were only little green checkmarks saying my stuff had been properly processed yesterday. no holds on my registration :) , I've done it :D , yippie :lol: ! relieved I will not have to take any desperate measures or commit some kind of fraud in order to get my loans disbursed/register.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

papercut

Silver

Post by papercut » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:44 am

EquallyWrong wrote:got a pretty dire email warning about getting my shot records in, spun up the freakout machine, but then when I checked Columbia's health website there were only little green checkmarks saying my stuff had been properly processed yesterday. no holds on my registration :) , I've done it :D , yippie :lol: ! relieved I will not have to take any desperate measures or commit some kind of fraud in order to get my loans disbursed/register.
Nice. Feelsgood.jpg

EquallyWrong

Gold

Post by EquallyWrong » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:18 pm

papercut wrote:
EquallyWrong wrote:got a pretty dire email warning about getting my shot records in, spun up the freakout machine, but then when I checked Columbia's health website there were only little green checkmarks saying my stuff had been properly processed yesterday. no holds on my registration :) , I've done it :D , yippie :lol: ! relieved I will not have to take any desperate measures or commit some kind of fraud in order to get my loans disbursed/register.
Nice. Feelsgood.jpg
Kafkaesque nightmare successfully avoided, let's paaaaaaaarty! (hits jukebox Fonzie style and a song comes on that nobody quite knows how, or is equipped, to dance to. they begin to sway noncommittally to the beat as they try to avoid making eye contact. enthusiasm quickly drains from the room just as quickly as it had arrived.)

drevo

Bronze

Post by drevo » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:27 pm

Last edited by drevo on Sat May 23, 2015 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

EquallyWrong

Gold

Post by EquallyWrong » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:37 pm

drevo wrote:
Really dumb question, but where are we able to see the green check marks to make sure they got everything? I sent my stuff in a while ago and figured they would contact me if they needed anything else, but I'd like to see the check marks for peace of mind!
not a dumb question. the email came with some useful links that are worth sharing.
for immunization records status go here (https://secure.health.columbia.edu/) log in and look under immunizations.
also, you can check info on your current status wrt everything else here: https://ssol.columbia.edu/

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

drevo

Bronze

Post by drevo » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:48 pm

Last edited by drevo on Sat May 23, 2015 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

moopness

Bronze

Post by moopness » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:04 pm

Just got this email and also freaked the fuck out. Unfortunately on the website it says the requirements are unmet, but I faxed everything on July 21st :( I called them and they said to wait one to two days to make sure it's not still being processed. I really hope I don't get fucked over by this :(

Tariffs

New

Post by Tariffs » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:50 pm

Got the same e-mail. My doctor says he faxed everything in 10 days ago but when I called the office they couldn't find anything...he sent them over again for good measure but I'm not enjoying these clerical blunders that seem to keep happening.

EquallyWrong

Gold

Post by EquallyWrong » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:07 pm

sounds like Columbia is continuing to punish moopness for requesting more time to make his housing deposit as I, who have always shown unquestioning obedience, got my last minute hail mary immunization records processed pretty quickly.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

runthetrap

Bronze

Post by runthetrap » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:34 pm

it looks like the 0Ls over at NYU have their section placements already.. i'm jealous

but like, not

lol

it's august where i am!!! woooooo it's all happening you guys

milkandcheerios

Bronze

Post by milkandcheerios » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:18 pm

moopness wrote: Just got this email and also freaked the fuck out. Unfortunately on the website it says the requirements are unmet, but I faxed everything on July 21st :( I called them and they said to wait one to two days to make sure it's not still being processed. I really hope I don't get fucked over by this :(
Same thing happened to me even though I faxed mine in before the deadline. I faxed it again this morning just in case but they wouldn't confirm over the phone whether it'd been received or not cuz they're too busy or whatevs. Guess I just gotta wait and hope they remove the block from my registration before the 15th.

AdInfinitum

New

Post by AdInfinitum » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:18 am

Anyone have experience ordering big items from Amazon into the city?

My move-in time on UAH is 12:00. I'd like my bed to arrive the day I move in, but I'm afraid it'll get there before noon and i'll be sol.

moopness

Bronze

Post by moopness » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:45 pm

EquallyWrong wrote:sounds like Columbia is continuing to punish moopness for requesting more time to make his housing deposit as I, who have always shown unquestioning obedience, got my last minute hail mary immunization records processed pretty quickly.
Basically this haha.
Seems like a bunch of people are having this problem, so that makes me feel a little better at least.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dc91

Bronze

Post by dc91 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:50 pm

so, who's already here again?

papercut

Silver

Post by papercut » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:51 pm

dc91 wrote:so, who's already here again?
yo

tlsapp2017

Bronze

Post by tlsapp2017 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:54 pm

Anyone want to grab drinks somewhere tonight? I'm bored haha

papercut

Silver

Post by papercut » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:57 pm

tlsapp2017 wrote:Anyone want to grab drinks somewhere tonight? I'm bored haha
I may be down. I'm getting some food with a friend but it might end early. Which building are you living in?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dc91

Bronze

Post by dc91 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:58 pm

me!

tlsapp2017

Bronze

Post by tlsapp2017 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:59 pm

papercut wrote:
I may be down. I'm getting some food with a friend but it might end early. Which building are you living in?
I'm on 122nd st. You?

tlsapp2017

Bronze

Post by tlsapp2017 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:00 pm

dc91 wrote:
me!
Awesome! Also, important follow-up - anyone know of a good place in the area?

papercut

Silver

Post by papercut » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:02 pm

tlsapp2017 wrote:
papercut wrote:
I'm on 122nd st. You?
I'm on 112th.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”