Columbia Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)

When will you be moving in / to NYC?

Already in the city / before end of June
8%
Early or mid-July
2%
End of July
10%
August 1~4
14%
August 5~8
24%
August 9~12
24%
August 13~15
12%
After August 15, because IDGAF
8%

Total votes: 51

barrelofmonkeys

Gold

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Post by barrelofmonkeys » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:58 pm

EquallyWrong wrote:
buffalo_ wrote:
Theopliske8711 wrote:New Dean announced: http://news.columbia.edu/oncampus/3428
Anyone have thoughts on this?
a few weeks ago she was telling me to go to Berkeley, so to see her pop up at their main rival for my affections is a bit weird. other than that, she seemed pretty kickass.
looooooooooool
yeah she was cool
but looooooooooooooooooool

leeway89

New

Post by leeway89 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:39 pm

Humbert Humbert wrote:Appeal denied, ugh. Offer is decent (40k), not great. I have a larger offer (~100k) from Duke. CLS is (and has been) my top choice. Also have a SO in the city, which is another big reason I want to stay in NY.

Anyone else in this boat? Would like to hear some other perspectives, particularly if you are going (or have gone) through a similar decision.
Somewhat similar situation. Sent request on Monday with letter attached on Tuesday. Rejection today.

Note: The only thing that has me still going for CLS is that I can save living at home, which is blocks away from the school...

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:55 pm

leeway89 wrote:
Humbert Humbert wrote:Appeal denied, ugh. Offer is decent (40k), not great. I have a larger offer (~100k) from Duke. CLS is (and has been) my top choice. Also have a SO in the city, which is another big reason I want to stay in NY.

Anyone else in this boat? Would like to hear some other perspectives, particularly if you are going (or have gone) through a similar decision.
Somewhat similar situation. Sent request on Monday with letter attached on Tuesday. Rejection today.

Note: The only thing that has me still going for CLS is that I can save living at home, which is blocks away from the school...
That's huge. That's like $75K of your debt off right there.

barrelofmonkeys

Gold

Post by barrelofmonkeys » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:39 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
leeway89 wrote:

yep. would your parents mind if i moved in with you?

drevo

Bronze

Post by drevo » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:30 pm

I think I'm about to be in a similar boat unless Columbia decides to up my offer, but judging on those in this thread I'm not holding my breath. Got an offer very similar to yours from Columbia, NYU only matched it on appeal, visited Columbia and absolutely loved it and New York City, but just got $$$ from Cornell that would leave me with relatively little debt for a T14 degree. After basically getting wait listed everywhere between Cornell and NYU, I was not expecting Cornell's offer to be so generous and I had excitedly accepted the fact that I was going to Columbia. The thought of not going to Columbia after all this is shitty. But money is money and I'd hate to look back in 5-10 years thinking "shit I wish I didn't still have this debt." I hope Columbia can just bump my offer up a little bit so I can put my mind to ease.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mylifeis24

Bronze

Post by mylifeis24 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:40 pm

I like that this thread is gaining traction. Let's beat NYU.

leeway89

New

Post by leeway89 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:43 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
leeway89 wrote:

Agreed. Otherwise CLS would be difficult for me to choose.

Anyone who wants to share a closet room with me and my kitteh is totally welcomed. I'm assuming I'm going to live at the library anyway.

drevo

Bronze

Post by drevo » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:45 pm

mylifeis24 wrote:I like that this thread is gaining traction. Let's beat NYU.
I was thinking the exact same thing earlier today

EquallyWrong

Gold

Post by EquallyWrong » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:54 pm

mylifeis24 wrote:I like that this thread is gaining traction. Let's beat NYU.
...and so it begins, the bloody Columbia NYU Law c/o 2017 cross-town rivalry.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

iamgeorgebush

Silver

Post by iamgeorgebush » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:45 pm

:(
Last edited by iamgeorgebush on Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

randomperson46

New

Post by randomperson46 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:48 am

Has anyone here asked about deferring enrollment at Columbia for a year? Do you know if they require the applicant to sign an agreement promising not to apply to other law schools?

Kimikho

Gold

Post by Kimikho » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:55 am

randomperson46 wrote:Has anyone here asked about deferring enrollment at Columbia for a year? Do you know if they require the applicant to sign an agreement promising not to apply to other law schools?
They do.

You have to sign that and pull from all wait lists, the deadline is June 1st.

buffalo_

Bronze

Post by buffalo_ » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:57 am

waferthinmint wrote:
buffalo_ wrote:
Theopliske8711 wrote:New Dean announced: http://news.columbia.edu/oncampus/3428
Anyone have thoughts on this?
Looool, I literally just saw her at Berkeley a week and a half ago (as I'm sure many ITT did as well) where she spoke to us about how she's basically Berkeley/California for life and how we should totes be Berkeley students. They probably... should not have had her speak at the ASW if she was up for candidacy to be a dean at a rival school in a process that would become public before this admissions cycle is even over. :?

Unfortunately, I distinctly remember thinking she was a bad public speaker and not a professor I'd want... but I'm sure she is a lovely individual?
eta: My standards are unreasonably high because I felt personally romanced by Dean Morrison over at NYU. May or may not have an indecent secret crush.
NYU may have stolen away CLS Dean in waiting...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tlsapp2017

Bronze

Post by tlsapp2017 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:22 am

Just officially deposited - very excited!

EquallyWrong

Gold

Post by EquallyWrong » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:28 am

buffalo_ wrote: NYU may have stolen away CLS Dean in waiting...
is there a source for this potentially destructive gossip? we're sitting on a tinderbox with NYU as it is.

buffalo_

Bronze

Post by buffalo_ » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:36 am

EquallyWrong wrote:
buffalo_ wrote: NYU may have stolen away CLS Dean in waiting...
is there a source for this potentially destructive gossip? we're sitting on a tinderbox with NYU as it is.
No, just responding to the fact that Trevor Morrison was a CLS prof right before his appointment to Dean @ NYU. I have no information and no reason to believe he was in place to become Dean at CLS.

chicky

New

Post by chicky » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:49 am

waferthinmint wrote: eta: My standards are unreasonably high because I felt personally romanced by Dean Morrison over at NYU. May or may not have an indecent secret crush.
Wait I wanted to jump in before this gets buried and say that "personally romanced" is the best descriptor I've heard about how to feel after interacting with Dean Morrison.

...and by "interacting" I mean "glimpsing across a room full of other admitted students."

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

scoobysnax

Bronze

Post by scoobysnax » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:51 am

waferthinmint wrote: Looool, I literally just saw her at Berkeley a week and a half ago (as I'm sure many ITT did as well) where she spoke to us about how she's basically Berkeley/California for life and how we should totes be Berkeley students. They probably... should not have had her speak at the ASW if she was up for candidacy to be a dean at a rival school in a process that would become public before this admissions cycle is even over. :?

Unfortunately, I distinctly remember thinking she was a bad public speaker and not a professor I'd want... but I'm sure she is a lovely individual?
eta: My standards are unreasonably high because I felt personally romanced by Dean Morrison over at NYU. May or may not have an indecent secret crush.
Haha, I felt the same way too. He sat at my lunch table at NYU's ASW and he was great. I hope the new dean was just having an off day at Berkeley's ASW..

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:56 am

randomperson46 wrote:Has anyone here asked about deferring enrollment at Columbia for a year? Do you know if they require the applicant to sign an agreement promising not to apply to other law schools?
I deferred from c/o 2016. It's really easy.

scoobysnax

Bronze

Post by scoobysnax » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:00 pm

"Gillian Lester is Acting Dean and Alexander F. and May T. Morrison Professor of Law at Berkeley Law School."

Coincidence??!?!

a.sleepyhead

Bronze

Post by a.sleepyhead » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:10 pm

Got my aid offer this morning, $20k less than NYU. Damn, Columbia, I really want us to happen. Why you gotta be like this?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

barrelofmonkeys

Gold

Post by barrelofmonkeys » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:22 pm

a.sleepyhead wrote:Got my aid offer this morning, $20k less than NYU. Damn, Columbia, I really want us to happen. Why you gotta be like this?
e-mail, negotiate, pray

riverwater

Bronze

Post by riverwater » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:26 pm

Last edited by riverwater on Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

a.sleepyhead

Bronze

Post by a.sleepyhead » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:29 pm

barrelofmonkeys wrote:
a.sleepyhead wrote:Got my aid offer this morning, $20k less than NYU. Damn, Columbia, I really want us to happen. Why you gotta be like this?
e-mail, negotiate, pray
Done, done, lighting a vigil candle now.

EquallyWrong

Gold

Post by EquallyWrong » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:00 pm

scoobysnax wrote:"Gillian Lester is Acting Dean and Alexander F. and May T. Morrison Professor of Law at Berkeley Law School."

Coincidence??!?!
how deep does this rabbit hole go?
...follow the money.

ETA: Wake up, sheeple.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”