Columbia Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)

When will you be moving in / to NYC?

Already in the city / before end of June
8%
Early or mid-July
2%
End of July
10%
August 1~4
14%
August 5~8
24%
August 9~12
24%
August 13~15
12%
After August 15, because IDGAF
8%

Total votes: 51

yomisterd

Gold

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Post by yomisterd » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:24 pm

girlmonster wrote:
tortellini wrote:http://web.law.columbia.edu/social-just ... -francisco anyone else thinking of going, they just forwarded me this
I'm super jelly they're not having an event in my city. :( I would go if I were fortunate enough to be back in the Bay Area!

Speaking of our different locales, is anyone else worried that they just won't survive the NYC winters? I mean, surely I'll find a way to deal... Right?
Speaking as a current New Yorker (but only an applicant so far to Columbia... waiting...) NYC winters are mild compared to farther north on the East Coast and the midwest. Although this polar vortex has sent the temps down more than normal.

tortellini

New

Post by tortellini » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:37 pm

girlmonster wrote:
tortellini wrote:http://web.law.columbia.edu/social-just ... -francisco anyone else thinking of going, they just forwarded me this
I'm super jelly they're not having an event in my city. :( I would go if I were fortunate enough to be back in the Bay Area!

Speaking of our different locales, is anyone else worried that they just won't survive the NYC winters? I mean, surely I'll find a way to deal... Right?
So so so worried... California girl through and through I've never put on anything more than three layers at once

girlmonster

Bronze

Post by girlmonster » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:47 pm

yomisterd wrote: Speaking as a current New Yorker (but only an applicant so far to Columbia... waiting...) NYC winters are mild compared to farther north on the East Coast and the midwest. Although this polar vortex has sent the temps down more than normal.
Thanks for the reassurance! I know NYC winters are relatively mild. The temps are usually only 5-7 degrees colder than my city here in the South. But I'm still a whiny punk about winters here.

tortellini wrote:So so so worried... California girl through and through I've never put on anything more than three layers at once
At least I will commiserate with you, girl. I actually blame my time in California for my fairly recently-developed intolerance of the cold. If it helps, fluffy Hello Kitty pajamas are magical clouds of warmth and happiness. I definitely recommend investing.

Already looking at long underwear.

tortellini

New

Post by tortellini » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:30 am

girlmonster wrote:
yomisterd wrote: Speaking as a current New Yorker (but only an applicant so far to Columbia... waiting...) NYC winters are mild compared to farther north on the East Coast and the midwest. Although this polar vortex has sent the temps down more than normal.
Thanks for the reassurance! I know NYC winters are relatively mild. The temps are usually only 5-7 degrees colder than my city here in the South. But I'm still a whiny punk about winters here.

tortellini wrote:So so so worried... California girl through and through I've never put on anything more than three layers at once
At least I will commiserate with you, girl. I actually blame my time in California for my fairly recently-developed intolerance of the cold. If it helps, fluffy Hello Kitty pajamas are magical clouds of warmth and happiness. I definitely recommend investing.

Already looking at long underwear.
Duly noted, I will definitely get a pair of Hello Kitty pjs. I had to google long underwear, please take me shopping with you before winter hits!

sunnylane

New

Post by sunnylane » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:16 am

Just saw this thread, checking in :)
I think I'm gonna go to this! Anyone else?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

girlmonster

Bronze

Post by girlmonster » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:53 am

tortellini wrote:Duly noted, I will definitely get a pair of Hello Kitty pjs. I had to google long underwear, please take me shopping with you before winter hits!
Haha, that would be the blind leading the blind. I think we both need yomisterd to take us shopping.

tortellini

New

Post by tortellini » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:54 pm

girlmonster wrote:
tortellini wrote:Duly noted, I will definitely get a pair of Hello Kitty pjs. I had to google long underwear, please take me shopping with you before winter hits!
Haha, that would be the blind leading the blind. I think we both need yomisterd to take us shopping.
Good call, yomisterd you have to get in now, we need you.

iamgeorgebush

Silver

Post by iamgeorgebush » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:47 am

Yo, OP, come on...you gotta do better than that with the OP. Look at the Stanford thread.

Pinklemon

New

Post by Pinklemon » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:29 pm

Checking in! Accepted yesterday. So excited to be joining this thread!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

runthetrap

Bronze

Post by runthetrap » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:18 pm

iamgeorgebush wrote:Yo, OP, come on...you gotta do better than that with the OP. Look at the Stanford thread.
i can't even poast pix until i reach 100. love it or leave it

jk i'll step my game up

runthetrap

Bronze

Post by runthetrap » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:41 pm

tortellini wrote:
girlmonster wrote:Speaking of our different locales, is anyone else worried that they just won't survive the NYC winters? I mean, surely I'll find a way to deal... Right?
So so so worried... California girl through and through I've never put on anything more than three layers at once
nyc winters aren't thaaaaat bad. you'll need a pair of ok-to-wear-in-snow-and-slush boots, and a warmer coat than you've needed so far in your life, but i do fine with a pair of tights under my pants (on the coldest of days), two layers of clothing on top (a tee & sweater), a scarf & often a beanie. you'll get used to it. i'd say the more challenging part abt moving from california would be the decrease in sunlight! get a happy light

iamgeorgebush

Silver

Post by iamgeorgebush » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:51 am

runthetrap wrote:
iamgeorgebush wrote:Yo, OP, come on...you gotta do better than that with the OP. Look at the Stanford thread.
i can't even poast pix until i reach 100. love it or leave it

jk i'll step my game up
cmon get poasting then

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:58 am

Tekrul wrote:Its so lonely in here :( ill hang with you.
Reppin class of 2016 with Tekrul. Feel free to ask questions!

sorry I just said reppin

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hyp7

New

Post by hyp7 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:30 pm

Anyone know approx when in February we should be getting our acceptance packages?

runthetrap

Bronze

Post by runthetrap » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:30 pm

hyp7 wrote:Anyone know approx when in February we should be getting our acceptance packages?
'early'
ph5354a wrote:
Tekrul wrote:Its so lonely in here :( ill hang with you.
Reppin class of 2016 with Tekrul. Feel free to ask questions!

sorry I just said reppin
wonderful - thanks for being here! i think we'll have more to ask you when we get our acceptance packages, but for starters: do you know anything about international students receiving financial aid? my understanding is that int'l students don't receive any, but i'd love to know if i'm mistaken.

how has 1L year been so far for you? what have been the best & worst parts about law school?

where do you live & what kind of housing (studio/double/triple & furnished vs unfurnished) and how do you like it?

i hope the class of 2017 is as chill as yours - i think the consensus was that the c/o 2016 was a win

runthetrap

Bronze

Post by runthetrap » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:32 pm

do we want a list of committed users to be added to the original post?

girlmonster

Bronze

Post by girlmonster » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:33 pm

runthetrap wrote:do we want a list of committed users to be added to the original post?
My immediate response was "yes!" And then I realized that I don't know what this means.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mindarmed

Silver

Post by mindarmed » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:37 pm

Last edited by mindarmed on Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

runthetrap

Bronze

Post by runthetrap » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:31 pm

girlmonster wrote:
runthetrap wrote:do we want a list of committed users to be added to the original post?
My immediate response was "yes!" And then I realized that I don't know what this means.
like, a list of usernames who have committed to enrolling at CLS this fall

runthetrap

Bronze

Post by runthetrap » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:33 pm

mindarmed wrote:if anyone wants advice or has questions about CLS, feel free to shoot me a PM i live fairly close to CLS.
cool, thanks. i'm assuming you go to CLS?

girlmonster

Bronze

Post by girlmonster » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:54 pm

runthetrap wrote:
girlmonster wrote:
like, a list of usernames who have committed to enrolling at CLS this fall

I'm cool either way. Obviously I'm committed, so feel free to use my name if you decide to create such a list!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

runthetrap

Bronze

Post by runthetrap » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:01 am

original post has been updated! if i missed you in the list of students committed to CLS, let me know!

Robert_Bert

Bronze

Post by Robert_Bert » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:19 am

Question for current CLS students: what percentage of 1Ls live close/on campus? Would you say living nearby is "important"? Trying to decide whether to move to Morningside or stay in my current apt in manhattan with about a 40 min commute to campus. Pretty torn. Thanks!

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:12 pm

runthetrap wrote: wonderful - thanks for being here! i think we'll have more to ask you when we get our acceptance packages, but for starters: do you know anything about international students receiving financial aid? my understanding is that int'l students don't receive any, but i'd love to know if i'm mistaken.

how has 1L year been so far for you? what have been the best & worst parts about law school?

where do you live & what kind of housing (studio/double/triple & furnished vs unfurnished) and how do you like it?

i hope the class of 2017 is as chill as yours - i think the consensus was that the c/o 2016 was a win
1) No clue about international students, sorry!

2) Best parts: being in New York, making new friends, realizing I might actually be able to do this, the first month of the semester when everyone is just drinking constantly (Legal Methods. Lol), etc.
Worst part: Finals week. I kept up with my reading throughout the semester and started outlining fairly early, but finals week(s) is just going to suck regardless.

3) I live in a three-bedroom UAH (University Apartment Housing) apartment on Broadway and 111th and I love it. UAH is general university housing, which means you might be with other non-law grad students, and it tends to be cheaper than law school housing. I'm paying $1000 including utilities for a good sized room in a pretty large apartment. I highly recommend UAH, especially if you're moving into the city and won't have a lot of time/resources to do a full apartment search. They are real apartment buildings, not dorms, and will likely be cheaper and closer to campus than what you will find on the open market. Mine is unfurnished; the "furniture" that they put it is pretty dorm-like (single beds) and I had my own already, so I wanted to avoid that.
Robert_Bert wrote:Question for current CLS students: what percentage of 1Ls live close/on campus? Would you say living nearby is "important"? Trying to decide whether to move to Morningside or stay in my current apt in manhattan with about a 40 min commute to campus. Pretty torn. Thanks!
Not sure about the percentage, but I would guess over half live in either university or law school housing. I wouldn't say it is important, it all depends on your tolerance for the commute. Tekrul can speak to this better than I can. Personally, I love being 5 blocks away from campus; I'm not so close that I feel like I can't get away, but whenever there are social events or speakers on campus, it's easy for me to pop over without much effort. If you still can't decide, you can always put in a housing application and see what they offer you, and then decide then (they give you a couple days to either submit the deposit or pass on it).

lunaraeon

Bronze

Post by lunaraeon » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:41 pm

runthetrap wrote:wonderful - thanks for being here! i think we'll have more to ask you when we get our acceptance packages, but for starters: do you know anything about international students receiving financial aid? my understanding is that int'l students don't receive any, but i'd love to know if i'm mistaken.

To add onto ph:
I don't know about aid either (I'm an international student but didn't apply for it), even though I spent some time trying to find out. You'll have lots of time to get financial information to admissions if need be, so I would ask them directly after you have your admission letter :) (They'll know the definitive answer, and the assorted information online is not easy to parse.) However, I can tell you that some of my other international friends (Canadians) have loans out, though that may be private loans or provincial student loans rather than financial aid.

Best has been everyone else at CLS. With rare exceptions, every single person is friendly and intelligent and I get to say hi to lots of people every day which is nice. Worst was finding out Jose Olivo deceived us.

I live on 115th, which is law school housing. It's a 3 person apartment, furnished. ~1300/month or something. I don't mind the furnished aspect, I was busy enough in the first few weeks getting other things and adjusting that I appreciated the convenience of not getting my own stuff, and I spend my study time in libraries now anyways. However, the beds are so so squeaky if you do anything but sleep on them. One of my roommates moved his mattress to the floor for this reason. I am very happy with my particular apartment. It's one of the largest, even for 3-person places, and is 30 seconds from the school.
Robert_Bert wrote:Question for current CLS students: what percentage of 1Ls live close/on campus? Would you say living nearby is "important"? Trying to decide whether to move to Morningside or stay in my current apt in manhattan with about a 40 min commute to campus. Pretty torn. Thanks!
Tekrul commutes from NJ, so he'll be better at answering this, but I would really hate living that far. Lots of events and club meetings, especially at the start of the year, happen near or on campus, or at least start there. It lets you go see friends, or go to the school, or leave things in your apartment (or at school) without it being a hassle. At the very least, you are cutting into your usable time with a 80 minute daily commute. Unless money is an issue (and even then, balance it against the possible effect on connections and grades), I would live in Morningside. Absolutely put the application in, as ph suggests :)

I have no hard numbers, but it seems like 80% or more of the 1L class lives near the school. It might be that I don't meet people who live further, but it's a majority for sure. In 2L and 3L you'll see more students move to other neighborhoods.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”