Columbia Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)

When will you be moving in / to NYC?

Already in the city / before end of June
8%
Early or mid-July
2%
End of July
10%
August 1~4
14%
August 5~8
24%
August 9~12
24%
August 13~15
12%
After August 15, because IDGAF
8%

Total votes: 51

fleurdelis2

Bronze

Re: Columbia Class of 2017

Post by fleurdelis2 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:06 pm

Last edited by fleurdelis2 on Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jdapplicant

Bronze

Post by jdapplicant » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:11 pm

fleurdelis2 wrote:They emailed me today about missing documents for financial aid. Sighs.
This is my nightmare. Sorry to hear!

canes14

New

Post by canes14 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:17 pm

At ASW they asked for the info and one of the students I talked to recommended sending it ASAP, so I went for it. Guy at ASW said it could go to financial aid or admissions, either way it would get where it needed to be. I'm just hoping someone actually received it...

anagram

New

Post by anagram » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:52 pm

Is Columbia open to people negotiating merit scholarships? I've just gotten one from UChicago, but would definitely pick Columbia if they matched it.

I haven't filled out any of the financial aid stuff because it would be an utter waste of time for me. My parents earn enough that I wouldn't be considered for aid, even though they won't be supporting me at all through law school.

I'm kind of worried that it's too late to inquire about scholarships at Columbia because I know you have to apply for them when you're sending in your initial law school application. Was so sure I wasn't going to get in that I didn't even bother... Thanks in advance for the help!

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:50 pm

Has anyone heard back yet regarding non-named merit aid?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

drevo

Bronze

Post by drevo » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:51 pm

anagram wrote:Is Columbia open to people negotiating merit scholarships? I've just gotten one from UChicago, but would definitely pick Columbia if they matched it.

I haven't filled out any of the financial aid stuff because it would be an utter waste of time for me. My parents earn enough that I wouldn't be considered for aid, even though they won't be supporting me at all through law school.

I'm kind of worried that it's too late to inquire about scholarships at Columbia because I know you have to apply for them when you're sending in your initial law school application. Was so sure I wasn't going to get in that I didn't even bother... Thanks in advance for the help!
The general consensus is that even if you highly doubt you will earn need based aid you should apply for it because Columbia does sometimes give out aid via the "Need Based Grants" that seem to be more of merit aid than need. There's no downside except for the time it takes to turn in the papers. The worst that happens is they come back and award you $0 in aid and you're none the worse. But there's also a chance that you get something so I really don't see the risk here.

I have no idea how not applying for need based grants affects you trying to leverage another offer but I think you should send in your documents for a Need Based Grant ASAP if you want to maximize your chances.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:56 am

drevo wrote:
anagram wrote:Is Columbia open to people negotiating merit scholarships? I've just gotten one from UChicago, but would definitely pick Columbia if they matched it.

The general consensus is that even if you highly doubt you will earn need based aid you should apply for it because Columbia does sometimes give out aid via the "Need Based Grants" that seem to be more of merit aid than need. There's no downside except for the time it takes to turn in the papers. The worst that happens is they come back and award you $0 in aid and you're none the worse. But there's also a chance that you get something so I really don't see the risk here.

I have no idea how not applying for need based grants affects you trying to leverage another offer but I think you should send in your documents for a Need Based Grant ASAP if you want to maximize your chances.
You can only negotiate if you fill out the paperwork. It's not just need based. The grants are a combination. Do FAFSA and NeedAccess ASAP. Then when you Chi deadline is approaching (1 wk out), email Columbia finaid with the competing offer and hope for the best.

cotiger

Gold

Post by cotiger » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:02 am

jbagelboy wrote:
drevo wrote:

You can only negotiate if you fill out the paperwork. It's not just need based. The grants are a combination. Do FAFSA and NeedAccess ASAP. Then when you Chi deadline is approaching (1 wk out), email Columbia finaid with the competing offer and hope for the best.
But they won't go above $85k, right? Because Butlers.

Fianna13

Bronze

Post by Fianna13 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:48 am

Damn. Is it too late to submit my financial aid paperwork? I didn't know that I needed to submit tax return papers or the FA questionnaire. :/

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:56 am

Fianna13 wrote:Damn. Is it too late to submit my financial aid paperwork? I didn't know that I needed to submit tax return papers or the FA questionnaire. :/
They'll take it. I submitted my questionnaire like three weeks late.

mt2165

Silver

Post by mt2165 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:57 am

Fianna13 wrote:Damn. Is it too late to submit my financial aid paperwork? I didn't know that I needed to submit tax return papers or the FA questionnaire. :/
I don't think so. But either way doesn't hurt to try do it quickly!!

Synch

Bronze

Post by Synch » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:07 am

FYI - I think, for scholarship negotiation (whenever that happens) you're supposed to email admissions, not financial aid. Someone correct me if I'm wrong?

Marshmallow

Bronze

Post by Marshmallow » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:14 am

Synch wrote:FYI - I think, for scholarship negotiation (whenever that happens) you're supposed to email admissions, not financial aid. Someone correct me if I'm wrong?
these department work together very closely. if you email the wrong one (and I'm not sure there's a wrong one), i'm sure they'll get it to who it needs to go to. but if someone else knows, i'd be curious to know the answer, too :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Typhoon24

Silver

Post by Typhoon24 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:27 am

would it be wishful for me to predict financial aid packages starting to arrive this week?

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:25 pm

cotiger wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
drevo wrote:

But they won't go above $85k, right? Because Butlers.
Typically yes. However, Butler recipients can receive additional need based aid. Someone got* $102K total last year.

*on phone sorry
Last edited by jbagelboy on Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Synch

Bronze

Post by Synch » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:40 pm

^ I'm someone hot! I want 102K

BerkeleyMan5

New

Post by BerkeleyMan5 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:02 pm

Last edited by BerkeleyMan5 on Tue May 20, 2014 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Typhoon24

Silver

Post by Typhoon24 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:17 pm

Does that mean they don't have Dean's Scholarship grants or the like? makes sense since i couldn't find anything like that on the website..

milkandcheerios

Bronze

Post by milkandcheerios » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:28 pm

BerkeleyMan5 wrote:
It's interesting that they do this. I've spoken to the financial aid office and they were pretty adamant that their financial aid process is for solely for need based aid, and if you didn't get any merit aid in your application package then you wouldn't get any at all. I wonder what's the point of doing that if they still plan on taking merit considerations into account.
I've always assumed that they're trying to emulate HYS with the whole "need based aid only" thing. We all know that what law schools say != what law schools actually do in practice, you can't take everything at face value. Columbia's "random" interviews are another great example of that.

t14splitter

Bronze

Post by t14splitter » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:08 pm

For what it's worth, I received an email today from the financial aid office saying I was missing something for them to review my situation - I think that means they are pretty close to actually sending things out since I sent in all of the other forms over a month and a half ago

mt2165

Silver

Post by mt2165 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:43 pm

What I don't understand is how the average debt is like 140,000 at graduation. Well maybe when you factor in people who can bankroll the whole thing (like 20%) and Hamiltons and butlers, but jeez that means it seems that a majority of us will graduate 200+ which is a little disconcerting

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Marshmallow

Bronze

Post by Marshmallow » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:59 am

but last year scholarship notifications didn't go out until like April 8-ish, right? any reason we are hoping they come out earlier this year? they did say at ASW earlier this month that they will finalize things late-march for most admitted students...

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:54 pm

mt2165 wrote:What I don't understand is how the average debt is like 140,000 at graduation. Well maybe when you factor in people who can bankroll the whole thing (like 20%) and Hamiltons and butlers, but jeez that means it seems that a majority of us will graduate 200+ which is a little disconcerting
Yup. Law school is too damn expensive.

zen

New

Post by zen » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:23 pm

francesfarmer wrote:
mt2165 wrote:What I don't understand is how the average debt is like 140,000 at graduation. Well maybe when you factor in people who can bankroll the whole thing (like 20%) and Hamiltons and butlers, but jeez that means it seems that a majority of us will graduate 200+ which is a little disconcerting
Rent is too damn high.

mt2165

Silver

Post by mt2165 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:15 pm

zen wrote:
francesfarmer wrote:
Rent is too damn high.
True dat. I really wonder how smart it is to go to columbia at sticker if you're wholly on the government/PI track.....any thoughts?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”