UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
User avatar
brotherdarkness
Posts: 3254
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:11 pm

Re: UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

Postby brotherdarkness » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:05 pm

.
Last edited by brotherdarkness on Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
admiringatticus
Posts: 145
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:51 pm

Re: UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

Postby admiringatticus » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:51 pm

Anybody have any insights about matching scholarships? I have an offer from Michigan that I'm thinking of submitting to them but I was wondering if I have a better chance if I wait for a higher ranked school to offer me a scholarship. My gut says to just submit something as soon as possible given how stingy Berk is with scholarships but I was wondering what others are doing...

User avatar
Marshmallow
Posts: 273
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:32 pm

Re: UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

Postby Marshmallow » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:03 pm

admiringatticus wrote:Anybody have any insights about matching scholarships? I have an offer from Michigan that I'm thinking of submitting to them but I was wondering if I have a better chance if I wait for a higher ranked school to offer me a scholarship. My gut says to just submit something as soon as possible given how stingy Berk is with scholarships but I was wondering what others are doing...



take this with a grain of salt since I'm an 0L and don't really know what's what. i did, however, speak with a Berkeley 1L this weekend, and she basically confirmed that I should probably not expect much from Berkeley's matching scholarship program even with scholarships from qualifying peer schools (not HYS)

She did say Berkeley matched her friend's HYS scholarship, so... there's that.

Moonlight
Posts: 753
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:19 am

Re: UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

Postby Moonlight » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:46 pm

Content Deleted
Last edited by Moonlight on Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
nutsforboalt
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:07 pm

Re: UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

Postby nutsforboalt » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:35 pm

If there are any current students on here I could really use some insight... I'm debating whether or not to sell my car before law school and I'm wondering if I'll need one at Berkeley. I'm from Florida where public transportation is a joke and a car is an absolute necessity, so any advice would be helpful, thanks!

User avatar
brotherdarkness
Posts: 3254
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:11 pm

Re: UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

Postby brotherdarkness » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:37 pm

.
Last edited by brotherdarkness on Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
waferthinmint
Posts: 337
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:57 pm

Re: UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

Postby waferthinmint » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:57 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:
nutsforboalt wrote:If there are any current students on here I could really use some insight... I'm debating whether or not to sell my car before law school and I'm wondering if I'll need one at Berkeley. I'm from Florida where public transportation is a joke and a car is an absolute necessity, so any advice would be helpful, thanks!


I sold mine before coming here and have had no issues whatsoever. Public transportation out here is solid; we get a sticker on our Cal ID cards that allows us to ride the buses for free, and BART/MUNI/etc. can get you around the rest of the Bay without much of a hassle. There are plenty of students here who have cars, but it'd cause me more of a headache than it would relieve.


I was at Berkeley for undergrad, and I would second this. I went four years without a car; the BART (subway) is within walking distance from campus and can get you into the rest of the East Bay and also the city quickly and easily. And of course, the free bus passes are great for getting around Berkeley.

That said, if you can score a parking spot wherever you're living (~$50/month is pretty average I think), having a car would make things a lot more convenient and fun -- getting to the IKEA or Target in nearby cities and buying bulky things like toilet paper or furniture usually required me trying to score a ride off a friend. Also there's great nature all around the Bay Area (Oakland redwoods, Marin County, Tilden Park) that is harder to get to with public transpo, and which I only got to start exploring once I got a car after I graduated and started working. That made me wish I'd had one sooner.

User avatar
angels2fly
Posts: 428
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:15 pm

Re: UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

Postby angels2fly » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:21 am

hey hey hey hey

User avatar
admiringatticus
Posts: 145
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:51 pm

Re: UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

Postby admiringatticus » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:27 am

angels2fly wrote:hey hey hey hey


Welcome! And congrats!! :D

User avatar
Redamon1
Posts: 460
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:46 pm

Re: UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

Postby Redamon1 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:12 am

waferthinmint wrote:
brotherdarkness wrote:
nutsforboalt wrote:If there are any current students on here I could really use some insight... I'm debating whether or not to sell my car before law school and I'm wondering if I'll need one at Berkeley. I'm from Florida where public transportation is a joke and a car is an absolute necessity, so any advice would be helpful, thanks!


I sold mine before coming here and have had no issues whatsoever. Public transportation out here is solid; we get a sticker on our Cal ID cards that allows us to ride the buses for free, and BART/MUNI/etc. can get you around the rest of the Bay without much of a hassle. There are plenty of students here who have cars, but it'd cause me more of a headache than it would relieve.


I was at Berkeley for undergrad, and I would second this. I went four years without a car; the BART (subway) is within walking distance from campus and can get you into the rest of the East Bay and also the city quickly and easily. And of course, the free bus passes are great for getting around Berkeley.

That said, if you can score a parking spot wherever you're living (~$50/month is pretty average I think), having a car would make things a lot more convenient and fun -- getting to the IKEA or Target in nearby cities and buying bulky things like toilet paper or furniture usually required me trying to score a ride off a friend. Also there's great nature all around the Bay Area (Oakland redwoods, Marin County, Tilden Park) that is harder to get to with public transpo, and which I only got to start exploring once I got a car after I graduated and started working. That made me wish I'd had one sooner.


Residential parking in Berkeley, IF YOU LIVE IN BERKELEY, is $45 per YEAR. Those high monthly rates people mention are options you'll need to use if you drive to school from outside Berkeley.

http://www.ci.berkeley.ca.us/Customer_S ... rking.aspx

User avatar
angels2fly
Posts: 428
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:15 pm

Re: UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

Postby angels2fly » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:49 am

admiringatticus wrote:
angels2fly wrote:hey hey hey hey


Welcome! And congrats!! :D


thank you!!!

User avatar
angels2fly
Posts: 428
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:15 pm

Re: UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

Postby angels2fly » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:40 pm

applelover wrote:Is there a Facebook group for admitted students?

isaiah1992
Posts: 163
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:41 pm

Re: UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

Postby isaiah1992 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:35 pm

Checking in! Just got in off of FR!

User avatar
waferthinmint
Posts: 337
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:57 pm

Re: UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

Postby waferthinmint » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:42 pm

Woohoo in!!! (Confession: I replied to the car question above when I hadn't been admitted yet...)
See y'all at ASW!
Berkeley Round 2?!

User avatar
ashley82929
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:57 am

Re: UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

Postby ashley82929 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:15 am

wowhio wrote:I will probably be at Berkeley next fall. Getting more and more excited about it all the time. (And believe me, I was really really f-ing exciting in the first place.)

That bit in the admissions packet there they listed all the average January temperatures in Chicago, New York, Boston, and Berkeley? I'm dying for that not-so-mean temperature of 50 right now.

No more Ohio winters for me.



Ohio!

ps- checking in!!

User avatar
nutsforboalt
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:07 pm

Re: UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

Postby nutsforboalt » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:01 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:I sold mine before coming here and have had no issues whatsoever. Public transportation out here is solid; we get a sticker on our Cal ID cards that allows us to ride the buses for free, and BART/MUNI/etc. can get you around the rest of the Bay without much of a hassle. There are plenty of students here who have cars, but it'd cause me more of a headache than it would relieve.

waferthinmint wrote:I was at Berkeley for undergrad, and I would second this. I went four years without a car; the BART (subway) is within walking distance from campus and can get you into the rest of the East Bay and also the city quickly and easily. And of course, the free bus passes are great for getting around Berkeley.

That said, if you can score a parking spot wherever you're living (~$50/month is pretty average I think), having a car would make things a lot more convenient and fun -- getting to the IKEA or Target in nearby cities and buying bulky things like toilet paper or furniture usually required me trying to score a ride off a friend. Also there's great nature all around the Bay Area (Oakland redwoods, Marin County, Tilden Park) that is harder to get to with public transpo, and which I only got to start exploring once I got a car after I graduated and started working. That made me wish I'd had one sooner.


Awesome, thanks for the advice! Also, on another note, if anyone is looking for affordable options to stay for ASW check out airbnb.com. I just discovered it last week and it's much cheaper than a hotel and a pretty cool concept.

User avatar
ashley82929
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:57 am

Re: UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

Postby ashley82929 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:13 pm

Does anyone know how the asw reimbursement thing works? We haven't gotten any info about it but I'd like to buy my ticket ASAP before prices go up. I just don't want any problems

User avatar
admiringatticus
Posts: 145
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:51 pm

Re: UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

Postby admiringatticus » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:00 am

ashley82929 wrote:Does anyone know how the asw reimbursement thing works? We haven't gotten any info about it but I'd like to buy my ticket ASAP before prices go up. I just don't want any problems


I think they will reimburse you at the ASW when you show them the itinerary. As long as you're flying into the Bay Area I don't think you will have trouble.

User avatar
NYC2012
Posts: 224
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:47 am

Re: UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

Postby NYC2012 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:33 am

Can't believe I'm checking in here!!! :D :D Can't wait to see everyone at ASW!

solucky
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:10 pm

Re: UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

Postby solucky » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:34 pm

Do a good number of the students commute? Are commuters less likely to get the full Berkeley experience?

User avatar
admiringatticus
Posts: 145
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:51 pm

Re: UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

Postby admiringatticus » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:08 am

Flight is booked for the ASW! EXCITED.

(Not excited that my flight went up $50 in the last 24 hours. Should have booked it sooner. :roll: )

User avatar
ashley82929
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:57 am

Re: UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

Postby ashley82929 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:11 am

admiringatticus wrote:Flight is booked for the ASW! EXCITED.

(Not excited that my flight went up $50 in the last 24 hours. Should have booked it sooner. :roll: )

cal
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:38 pm

Re: UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

Postby cal » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:49 pm

Does FAFSA/Need Access at all affect Berkeley's merit aid offers? Also, is it necessary to fill out that admitted students scholarship interest form? I am having trouble logging in and don't think that I forgot my password - wanted to see if anyone else is having issues with that before contacting the school to get a new log-in. Thanks!

User avatar
admiringatticus
Posts: 145
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:51 pm

Re: UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

Postby admiringatticus » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:48 pm

cal wrote:Does FAFSA/Need Access at all affect Berkeley's merit aid offers? Also, is it necessary to fill out that admitted students scholarship interest form? I am having trouble logging in and don't think that I forgot my password - wanted to see if anyone else is having issues with that before contacting the school to get a new log-in. Thanks!


Admissions office told me if I wanted to be considered for only merit scholarships there was no need to submit either FAFSA or NA. Since the needs based grants are pretty stingy outside HYS, and I didn't want to compromise my merit chances, I didn't submit either. My understanding is that the scholarship interest form is only if you want to add any additional information that you didn't cover in your application or if you want to address any specific criteria for the scholarships that they list on the ASW.

aena
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:37 pm

Re: UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

Postby aena » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:24 am

Does anyone have the schedule for ASW?

4/10-4/13. Are we supposed to fly in on Thursday and fly out on Sunday? I feel like sleeping there for three days might be too much! Or is that the norm...



When do we get the login info after the acceptance email?




Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest