Page 17 of 21

Re: UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:59 pm
by schnaupal
Berkeley has definitely not been impressing me today. I submitted my matching app earlier this week and called to see whether I could expect a response from them before my first round of deposit deadlines next Friday. They not only said "no," but also suggested that I may not even get a response by 5/1. They basically told me not to expect an offer at all, since most matching applications are denied.

I was genuinely interested in Berkeley because I have an IP/tech background and would love to end up in the Bay Area. But there is absolutely no way I'll be attending without a $ offer.

Re: UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:41 pm
by NYC2012
.

Re: UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:05 pm
by koalacity
schnaupal wrote:Berkeley has definitely not been impressing me today. I submitted my matching app earlier this week and called to see whether I could expect a response from them before my first round of deposit deadlines next Friday. They not only said "no," but also suggested that I may not even get a response by 5/1. They basically told me not to expect an offer at all, since most matching applications are denied.

I was genuinely interested in Berkeley because I have an IP/tech background and would love to end up in the Bay Area. But there is absolutely no way I'll be attending without a $ offer.

:shock: Welp, this is disappointing.

Re: UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:23 pm
by Mack.Hambleton
NYC2012 wrote:It will be a miracle if Berkeley's financial aid office ever emails me back. I asked a very simple question a week ago and got no response. UCLA responds to all my emails within 30 minutes. Kind of frustrating.


Same. emailed them about deadlines since I haven't received any finaid yet, still heard nothing..

Re: UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:40 pm
by barrelofmonkeys
eeep the (deserved) negativity ITT

i'm glad i never had much optimism about my matching application--i feel fairly confident they're going to deny it. i will ~live~ because i have other options, but it really sucks that berkeley doesn't seem to compete with its peer schools w/r/t merit aid.

Re: UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:18 pm
by NYC2012
.

Re: UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:12 pm
by Mack.Hambleton
Also Berkeley seems to not care about their medians as much as other schools so they aren't willing to give full rides to everyone above their 75ths

Re: UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:17 pm
by barrelofmonkeys
james.bungles wrote:Also Berkeley seems to not care about their medians as much as other schools so they aren't willing to give full rides to everyone above their 75ths


sure, but there are plenty of people to whom they give absolutely nothing

Re: UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:27 am
by draftopinions
It doesn't really feel like they care if their admits matriculate… Kind of disappointing.

Re: UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:25 am
by wowhio
draftopinions wrote:It doesn't really feel like they care if their admits matriculate… Kind of disappointing.


+1

Re: UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:43 am
by wowhio
james.bungles wrote:Also Berkeley seems to not care about their medians as much as other schools so they aren't willing to give full rides to everyone above their 75ths


Also yes, this is really not at all the same as giving $0. I don't want a full ride, just SOME aid. You know?

Re: UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:25 am
by JR20
wowhio wrote:
james.bungles wrote:Also Berkeley seems to not care about their medians as much as other schools so they aren't willing to give full rides to everyone above their 75ths


Also yes, this is really not at all the same as giving $0. I don't want a full ride, just SOME aid. You know?


Completely agree.

Re: UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:28 am
by JR20
Does anyone know about regular, non-matching scholarships. Have a lot of people reported receiving them and are they still rolling out?
And if you're denied a matching scholarship, does that mean you're not getting a regular scholarship too? Or is there sill a chance Berkeley might still be giving those out?

Re: UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:12 pm
by first_doom
Mean ole Berkeley rejected my match today, so looks like I won't be attending.

Sent in the request ~3 weeks ago, above both 75ths. Figured I'd post to try to help those waiting.

Would have been set on attending if I got some $$, but perfectly happy with my other options. Good luck everyone still waiting on financial decisions, and to those attending have a great time! It's an awesome school.

Re: UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:29 pm
by barrelofmonkeys
first_doom wrote:Mean ole Berkeley rejected my match today, so looks like I won't be attending.

Sent in the request ~3 weeks ago, above both 75ths. Figured I'd post to try to help those waiting.

Would have been set on attending if I got some $$, but perfectly happy with my other options. Good luck everyone still waiting on financial decisions, and to those attending have a great time! It's an awesome school.


: (

: (

: (

could you share (here or via PM) details about your other offer?

Re: UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:19 pm
by ashley82929
this thread got real negative real fast.

Re: UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:36 pm
by Mack.Hambleton
ashley82929 wrote:this thread got real negative real fast.


Total UC Berkeley Costs
$79,710.00
My Gift Aid
$0.00

that's probably why

Re: UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:49 pm
by draftopinions
james.bungles wrote:
ashley82929 wrote:this thread got real negative real fast.


Total UC Berkeley Costs
$79,710.00
My Gift Aid
$0.00

that's probably why

+1

Re: UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:54 pm
by bonerland
.

Re: UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

Posted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:07 pm
by iMisto
Hey hey, chitlans.

For anyone who needs help deciding, I'm a current 1L at Berkeley. PM questions and I will give 100% honest answers. Feel free to ask about whatever - professors, environment, the Bay, summer gigs, etc.

:mrgreen:

Re: UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

Posted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:04 pm
by lawschool20175
iMisto wrote:Hey hey, chitlans.

For anyone who needs help deciding, I'm a current 1L at Berkeley. PM questions and I will give 100% honest answers. Feel free to ask about whatever - professors, environment, the Bay, summer gigs, etc.

:mrgreen:


Thanks for taking our questions! Where do most law students live? Do they live in campus housing or are there other buildings where they usually live?

Re: UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:23 am
by 2BJD2017
Hi Folks! Just a FYI for those of you have emailed/left voicemails with the financial aid office and haven't heard anything back - call now! Twice now I have called before official opening hours and each time someone actually answered the phone. Jamal was very helpful and was able to give me my gift aid offer over the phone (although it still hasn't updated on myfinaid. Apparently this only happens on Fridays). Looks like I will be a Boaltie in the fall!

Re: UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:46 am
by iMisto
lawschool20175 wrote:
iMisto wrote:Hey hey, chitlans.

For anyone who needs help deciding, I'm a current 1L at Berkeley. PM questions and I will give 100% honest answers. Feel free to ask about whatever - professors, environment, the Bay, summer gigs, etc.

:mrgreen:


Thanks for taking our questions! Where do most law students live? Do they live in campus housing or are there other buildings where they usually live?


They live all over the place. I'd say a sizable chunk live in student housing, but the majority live off campus. South Berkeley is louder and filled with undergrads. North Berkeley is quieter and tends to house the grad students. Some live in Oakland, and a handful live in SF.

Re: UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:25 pm
by koalacity
2BJD2017 wrote:Hi Folks! Just a FYI for those of you have emailed/left voicemails with the financial aid office and haven't heard anything back - call now! Twice now I have called before official opening hours and each time someone actually answered the phone. Jamal was very helpful and was able to give me my gift aid offer over the phone (although it still hasn't updated on myfinaid. Apparently this only happens on Fridays). Looks like I will be a Boaltie in the fall!

Thanks for this!

Unfortunately, a friend of mine (not on TLS) called after I told them about this, and apparently this is only for non-matching scholarships. The matching scholarships are handled by admissions, not financial aid, and apparently the person in the admissions department who handles matching requests is out of the office today :(. Soooo...yeah.

Re: UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:34 pm
by waferthinmint
IS ANYONE ELSE HAVING TROUBLE SIGNING ONTO MYFINAID?!

it hasn't been working for me since Friday - it has me select "student or staff" and then says "update failed; click OK to refresh page." on chrome and internet explorer. : (