UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
brotherdarkness

Re: UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

Postby brotherdarkness » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:15 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

isaiah1992

Postby isaiah1992 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:22 pm

Also there are three options:

You can either say your attending for sure
Or that your tentatively planning to attend
Or that you decline

The June 3rd deadline is the second and final deadline where you say your going or not going.

However this does not apply to certain scholarships such as the matching scholarships, those have final deadlines in the offer letter

navierstokes

Postby navierstokes » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:56 pm

isaiah1992 wrote:Also there are three options:

Or that you decline

The June 3rd deadline is the second and final deadline where you say your going or not going.

However this does not apply to certain scholarships such as the matching scholarships, those have final deadlines in the offer letter

Was just about to say this. This is correct.

cotiger

Postby cotiger » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:16 pm

navierstokes wrote:

Or that you decline

I see. So what's the deadline for matching scholarships?

Cocoblues

Postby Cocoblues » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:48 pm

calle_25 wrote:Have people started receiving non-matching scholarship offers? If so, please also post admit date! I'm anxiously waiting :)

Would like to know this as well.

isaiah1992

Postby isaiah1992 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:56 pm

cotiger wrote:
navierstokes wrote:

Or that you decline

I see. So what's the deadline for matching scholarships?

They try to give you two weeks from the offer date. In some cases it's only a week.
Last edited by isaiah1992 on Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Toby Ziegler

Postby Toby Ziegler » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:21 pm

Hey gang, I am applying next cycle and Berk is one of my top choices for a number of reasons. I was wondering if any of you that are planning to attend (or at least seriously looked into it) have families or are married and what your housing plans are. I am from a major west-coast city, but did not realize that San Fran's COL had ~equaled NYC. Yikes!

Basically what and where are the housing options for students with families at Berkeley? Ideally on a bus route or reasonable walking distance, as I would prefer my family to have the car during the days.
TYIA and huge congrats to you good people who are admitted!

Edited: Specificity.

ashley82929

Postby ashley82929 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:46 am

So I've been periodically checking the financial aid section on BearFacts and today it keeps getting suck on the loading screen. Is this a sign that they're uploading info????? or maybe i just need better internet lol.

SemperLegal

Postby SemperLegal » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:32 pm

Toby Ziegler wrote:Hey gang, I am applying next cycle and Berk is one of my top choices for a number of reasons. I was wondering if any of you that are planning to attend (or at least seriously looked into it) have families or are married and what your housing plans are. I am from a major west-coast city, but did not realize that San Fran's COL had ~equaled NYC. Yikes!

Basically what and where are the housing options for students with families at Berkeley? Ideally on a bus route or reasonable walking distance, as I would prefer my family to have the car during the days.

I hear great things about : http://universityvillage.berkeley.edu/

JR20

Postby JR20 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:56 pm

Does anyone know any stats on the matching scholarship program? Is it usually matched and do the decisions come out in a few weeks of applying for it? Still trying to decide if I should submit one or not. Is it sometimes better to submit a lower scholarship offer because Berkeley might not match a really high one from another school?

Toby Ziegler

Postby Toby Ziegler » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:14 pm

SemperLegal wrote:
Toby Ziegler wrote:Hey gang, I am applying next cycle and Berk is one of my top choices for a number of reasons. I was wondering if any of you that are planning to attend (or at least seriously looked into it) have families or are married and what your housing plans are. I am from a major west-coast city, but did not realize that San Fran's COL had ~equaled NYC. Yikes!

Thanks for this! Is it a general consensus that living in campus/grad housing is the best/most cost efficient way to go?

calle_25

Postby calle_25 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:19 pm

Toby Ziegler wrote:
SemperLegal wrote:

Thanks for this! Is it a general consensus that living in campus/grad housing is the best/most cost efficient way to go?

I'd like to add that I'll be at the ASW and will ask around for grad student/family housing options. I can report back what I learn. Though I will not be moving to Berkeley with family, I need to have enough room for a family to visit (i.e. I can't live in a one-person dorm room).

bonerland

Postby bonerland » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:32 pm

calle_25 wrote:
Toby Ziegler wrote:
SemperLegal wrote:

I'd like to add that I'll be at the ASW and will ask around for grad student/family housing options. I can report back what I learn. Though I will not be moving to Berkeley with family, I need to have enough room for a family to visit (i.e. I can't live in a one-person dorm room).

You need to be married or have children to qualify for family housing.

Toby Ziegler

Postby Toby Ziegler » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:43 pm

Thanks for being willing to do that, let me know what you find out!

Does that only apply for University owned housing? Not that it matters for me, as I qualify either way.

bonerland

Postby bonerland » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:01 pm

http://www.law.berkeley.edu/6356.htm

To qualify as a student family and live in Family Student Housing, you must be:
1) A registered student living with a spouse or family member, or
2) A registered student living with a spouse and one or more minor children, or
3) A registered student who is a single parent and has at least 50 percent custody of his or her ward, or
4) A registered student living with a partner in a committed relationship.
See http://www.housing.berkeley.edu/livinga ... _elig.html for details on eligibility.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:04 pm

Guys, trust me, you really don't want to be living in campus housing. You pay out the nose for a tiny bed that will make you think you're still a freshman in college. You can find perfectly fine apartments close to campus that are 1/2 or 2/3 the cost of student housing.

Toby Ziegler

Postby Toby Ziegler » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:05 pm

Tanicius wrote:Guys, trust me, you really don't want to be living in campus housing. You pay out the nose for a tiny bed that will make you think you're still a freshman in college. You can find perfectly fine apartments close to campus that are 1/2 or 2/3 the cost of student housing.

Does that include 3 bedroom apartments?

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:10 pm

Toby Ziegler wrote:
Tanicius wrote:Guys, trust me, you really don't want to be living in campus housing. You pay out the nose for a tiny bed that will make you think you're still a freshman in college. You can find perfectly fine apartments close to campus that are 1/2 or 2/3 the cost of student housing.

Student living campus apartments, right. They are trash. Basically you are paying for a glorified hotel suite complex with thin carpet over concrete floors and a really worn down kitchen area. Why pay $1,100 for that kind of thing when you have very little control over your roommates and enjoy only moderately closer living quarters to campus than an $800 apartment room you could get that's just two blocks farther away?

That extra cash basically pays for a bureacratic housing administration and the Cal logo on your building entrance. Not. Worth it.

Toby Ziegler

Postby Toby Ziegler » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:15 pm

Tanicius wrote:
Toby Ziegler wrote:

Student living campus apartments, right. They are trash. Basically you are paying for a glorified hotel suite complex with thin carpet over concrete floors and a really worn down kitchen area. Why pay $1,100 for that kind of thing when you have very little control over your roommates and enjoy only moderately closer living quarters to campus than an $800 apartment room you could get that's just two blocks farther away?

That extra cash basically pays for a bureacratic housing administration and the Cal logo on your building entrance. Not. Worth it.

I agree. I suppose I was ambiguous, I am married with 2 kids (both under 3) and looking for housing near a bus line/reasonable walking distance (albeit this is all premature as I am applying next cycle, but my wife enjoys looking into housing -- it's her thing) to the law school. Sorry for any confusion.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:28 pm

Toby Ziegler wrote:
Tanicius wrote:
Toby Ziegler wrote:

I agree. I suppose I was ambiguous, I am married with 2 kids (both under 3) and looking for housing near a bus line/reasonable walking distance (albeit this is all premature as I am applying next cycle, but my wife enjoys looking into housing -- it's her thing) to the law school. Sorry for any confusion.

Yeah, you can easily find affordable non-campus-affiliated apartments in your area that are next to bus lines and within walking distance of campus.

Toby Ziegler

Postby Toby Ziegler » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:38 pm

Any neighborhoods you would recommend? Thanks for your help BTW and everyone else who has chimed in.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:54 pm

Toby Ziegler wrote:Any neighborhoods you would recommend? Thanks for your help BTW and everyone else who has chimed in.

South Berkeley has lots of decent neighborhoods. Rockridge (College/Alcatraz/Claremont streets) is very family friendly. It's about 15 blocks south of campus on a bus line. The Elmwood neighborhood (area around Ashby/Telegraph and Ashby/College) is also quite nice. Anything between Ashby and Bancroft is going to have lots of students, which I don't think is always a good thing, but the housing will be cheap at least.

Toby Ziegler

Postby Toby Ziegler » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:00 pm

Tanicius wrote:
Toby Ziegler wrote:Any neighborhoods you would recommend? Thanks for your help BTW and everyone else who has chimed in.

South Berkeley has lots of decent neighborhoods. Rockridge (College/Alcatraz/Claremont streets) is very family friendly. It's about 15 blocks south of campus on a bus line. The Elmwood neighborhood (area around Ashby/Telegraph and Ashby/College) is also quite nice. Anything between Ashby and Bancroft is going to have lots of students, which I don't think is always a good thing, but the housing will be cheap at least.

Thanks a million, Tanicius. This is golden.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:05 pm

Here's a photo of a map of South Berkeley. Red trapazoid is Elmwood. Blue circle is Rockridge. The greenery at the top of the map is Berkeley's campus. Boalt is near bottom-right corner of the greenery, the corner of Bancroft and College.

drumstickies

Postby drumstickies » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:15 pm

Hey guys, just accessed my financial aid through bearfacts. It says my scholarship is under "grant - law." I'm grateful but not thrilled with the offer. I sent in a matching scholarship request a couple weeks ago.. Is there a chance to see the grant get boosted because of it, or does this scholarship include the matching offer?

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”