UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
User avatar
aldiddy
Posts: 121
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:18 pm

Re: UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

Postby aldiddy » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:22 pm

Is anyone having trouble accessing the admitted students' website? The link they sent me to get to the website isn't working.

jlloyd
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:50 pm

Re: UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

Postby jlloyd » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:45 pm

I'm very happy to be checking here! This is by far my top choice, and I will happily be matriculating this fall.

I went to Cal for undergrad, have lived in the Bay Area my entire life, and currently live in Oakland and work in SF.

If you have any questions about the area, quality of life, school/campus in general, or affordable housing feel free to ask me here or in PM.

If any of you are interested in meeting up for a drink during ASW, maybe Thursday night, let me know.

thestatusguo
Posts: 148
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:06 pm

Re: UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

Postby thestatusguo » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:03 am

Hmmm...I wonder why there isn't an official Facebook group - I know there's that internal "facebook" thing on the admitted students site, but does someone want to start a '17 admitted students group so that we can put faces to names? :) I'll also actually be up at Berkeley for about 2 weeks starting on the 26th of February, so if anyone's around, I'd love to potentially meet up! And will be back for ASW too :)

User avatar
ashley82929
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:57 am

Re: UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

Postby ashley82929 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:37 pm

thestatusguo wrote:Hmmm...I wonder why there isn't an official Facebook group - I know there's that internal "facebook" thing on the admitted students site, but does someone want to start a '17 admitted students group so that we can put faces to names? :) I'll also actually be up at Berkeley for about 2 weeks starting on the 26th of February, so if anyone's around, I'd love to potentially meet up! And will be back for ASW too :)

User avatar
ashley82929
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:57 am

Re: UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

Postby ashley82929 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:39 pm

California residency question-- if we take a summer job outside of CA (NY, DC... Ohio... for example) does that mean we automatically forfeit CA residency? It seems like that would put Berkeley students at a major disadvantage

Theopliske8711
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:21 am

Re: UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

Postby Theopliske8711 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:51 pm

I just got an email saying my matching scholarship was received... I sent the app out weeks ago...

User avatar
AFP
Posts: 91
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:20 pm

Re: UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

Postby AFP » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:56 pm

It seems like a student created the Berkeley Law 2016 Facebook group, judging by the profile of the only admin. Anyone want to bite the bullet and create a Berkeley Law 2017 group?

Boalt2017
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:59 pm

Re: UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

Postby Boalt2017 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:08 pm

AFP wrote:It seems like a student created the Berkeley Law 2016 Facebook group, judging by the profile of the only admin. Anyone want to bite the bullet and create a Berkeley Law 2017 group?


https://www.facebook.com/groups/Boalt2017/

I created a new Facebook account and the group. Anyone care to join? I would like to point out that I have no way to confirm only those who were accepted. Therefore, it will be an honor system (unless someone else have a better suggestion).

lawschool20175
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:21 pm

Re: UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

Postby lawschool20175 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:33 pm

Has anyone received a financial aid offer yet?

User avatar
postard
Posts: 153
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:39 pm

Re: UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

Postby postard » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:58 pm

ashley82929 wrote:California residency question-- if we take a summer job outside of CA (NY, DC... Ohio... for example) does that mean we automatically forfeit CA residency? It seems like that would put Berkeley students at a major disadvantage


C/O 2016 here. If you're already a CA resident it shouldn't be a problem if you take a job in another state since you're not getting a license, registering to vote, etc. in that state.

If you're trying to become a CA resident, it may matter but it might not. Berkeley, and I think CA in general, is a bit more lax than other states (like my home of WA where any time you spend at school doesn't count towards residency). Luckily (kind of) it won't matter too much in the end since residency only knocks like $4k (~7%?) off the tuition price.

User avatar
angels2fly
Posts: 428
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:15 pm

Re: UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

Postby angels2fly » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:26 pm

Do we have any idea when we'll hear about money?

User avatar
wowhio
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:52 pm

Re: UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

Postby wowhio » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:00 pm

angels2fly wrote:Do we have any idea when we'll hear about money?


I believe they said we'd hear right around the time of ASW.

User avatar
barrelofmonkeys
Posts: 1906
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:41 pm

Re: UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

Postby barrelofmonkeys » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:13 pm

wowhio wrote:
angels2fly wrote:Do we have any idea when we'll hear about money?


I believe they said we'd hear right around the time of ASW.


I looked a little bit into last year's threads. There were some matching scholarship offers near the end of March (March 24th ish?) and then some more at the very beginning of April.

I generally think end of March / beginning of April is when you'll hear, but probably a little bit before ASW.

ETA: Also, from what I've read, it's very important when submitting a matching scholarship application that you choose the school you're most likely to go to, not the highest ranked or the highest monetary offer.

Workingtitle
Posts: 87
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:05 pm

Re: UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

Postby Workingtitle » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:59 pm

Can I get some general advice about the matching scholarships?

I just got a really, really good offer from UVA (like, very clost to full tuiton good) and I'm wondering if I should go ahead and submit that now. I was planning to wait to let them make the first offer, but after getting this now I'm not so sure.

I'm also curious if Berkeley is more inclined to match from certain schools. So, for example, are they more likely to match an offer from Virginia or Michigan, if the offers were both equal.

Stats are 170/3.92, K-JD, above average softs and legal work experience (like paralegal type stuff, nothing cool).

Any insights/advice would be appreciated.

User avatar
aboutmydaylight
Posts: 580
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:50 pm

Re: UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

Postby aboutmydaylight » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:07 pm

When is Berkeley's decision deadline?

User avatar
jaesonko
Posts: 114
Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:22 am

Re: UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

Postby jaesonko » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:32 pm

So I received an email from Berkeley financial aid office today stating that they were missing my "FAFSA Student Asset Protection Allowance." I'm pretty sure I filled out everything on the FAFSA and can't find a section any asset protection allowance portion as I review my app. Anyone receive a similar email / know where this section is?

User avatar
calle_25
Posts: 133
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:10 pm

Re: UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

Postby calle_25 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:40 pm

Checking in! So excited to be able to. Hoping to get some Cali sunshine in April :D

User avatar
AuctionTheory
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:09 am

Re: UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

Postby AuctionTheory » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:56 pm

jaesonko wrote:So I received an email from Berkeley financial aid office today stating that they were missing my "FAFSA Student Asset Protection Allowance." I'm pretty sure I filled out everything on the FAFSA and can't find a section any asset protection allowance portion as I review my app. Anyone receive a similar email / know where this section is?


I got the same email. It's in your FAFSA financial section and it doesn't exactly say asset protection allowance but is made up of three questions about your assets.
It should be right at the bottom of student finances, and you may have (if you were like me) chose not to answer questions about your financial assets.
I didn't have any assets, so I figured I could skip the questions altogether but I guess they need the info.
Hope this helps.

User avatar
jaesonko
Posts: 114
Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:22 am

Re: UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

Postby jaesonko » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:46 am

AuctionTheory wrote:
jaesonko wrote:So I received an email from Berkeley financial aid office today stating that they were missing my "FAFSA Student Asset Protection Allowance." I'm pretty sure I filled out everything on the FAFSA and can't find a section any asset protection allowance portion as I review my app. Anyone receive a similar email / know where this section is?


I got the same email. It's in your FAFSA financial section and it doesn't exactly say asset protection allowance but is made up of three questions about your assets.
It should be right at the bottom of student finances, and you may have (if you were like me) chose not to answer questions about your financial assets.
I didn't have any assets, so I figured I could skip the questions altogether but I guess they need the info.
Hope this helps.



Apparently I made the same mistake -- thanks a lot!

User avatar
SemperLegal
Posts: 1333
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:28 pm

Re: UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

Postby SemperLegal » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:58 pm

I know this is super early, but I am looking to rent out my place, move in can be between May 15 and August and the rent is about $950 inclusive of all utilities/internet/parking/washer/dryer/furniture its a couple miles from the school, but right on a direct bus route. If you want to tour the place during ASW, give me a heads up and we can work something out.

The place is quiet, decent sized, and has a great view. However, there is some wear-and-tear.

ColbyBryant
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:23 pm

Re: UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

Postby ColbyBryant » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:59 am

Workingtitle wrote:Can I get some general advice about the matching scholarships?

I just got a really, really good offer from UVA (like, very clost to full tuiton good) and I'm wondering if I should go ahead and submit that now. I was planning to wait to let them make the first offer, but after getting this now I'm not so sure.

I'm also curious if Berkeley is more inclined to match from certain schools. So, for example, are they more likely to match an offer from Virginia or Michigan, if the offers were both equal.

Stats are 170/3.92, K-JD, above average softs and legal work experience (like paralegal type stuff, nothing cool).

Any insights/advice would be appreciated.


UVA is no longer on the list of schools for matching scholarship this year. Looking through the last couple of years of threads, looks like many many applicants were sending berkeley large scholarships from UVA, a school that tends to flood applicants with outrageously high scholarships. Same reason they don't consider NU a peer for scholarship matching. Hth.

YouGoGlenCoCo
Posts: 65
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

Postby YouGoGlenCoCo » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:44 pm

Checking in, just got the email 15 minutes ago. I'm sure I will have many questions in the next few days so I hope you all will be able to help. I could not be happier checking in here. :)

User avatar
ashley82929
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:57 am

Re: UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

Postby ashley82929 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:55 pm

YouGoGlenCoCo wrote:Checking in, just got the email 15 minutes ago. I'm sure I will have many questions in the next few days so I hope you all will be able to help. I could not be happier checking in here. :)


Congrats! :)

User avatar
Dr.Zer0
Posts: 1030
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:11 pm

Re: UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

Postby Dr.Zer0 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:57 pm

Checking in! Will be attending ASW.

YouGoGlenCoCo
Posts: 65
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

Postby YouGoGlenCoCo » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:06 pm

Dr.Zer0 wrote:Checking in! Will be attending ASW.


Congrats!

To those of you who have already received ASW information, do you see a schedule of events? I believe someone already asked in this thread whether or not it's possible to fly in Thursday morning (but I didn't see a response) and I am wondering the same thing. Thanks in advance.




Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest