UC-Berkeley Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
koalacity

Silver

Re: UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

Post by koalacity » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:15 pm

Just received an email that my matching scholarship application is being "held."
:roll:

waferthinmint

Bronze

Post by waferthinmint » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:18 pm

koalacity wrote:Just received an email that my matching scholarship application is being "held."
:roll:

ironicbunny

New

Post by ironicbunny » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:19 pm

I called the Admissions Office today and they say that they should be responding to almost all Matching Scholarships today or tomorrow (unless you submitted it within the last few days).
Also, they hope to have all general scholarships awarded by the end of April.

I got an email a few minutes ago saying my Matching Scholarship Application is being held for further consideration and I should get a final decision between April 25th and May 8th. Sucks for me (I would rather have heard yes or no today, but I guess I've gotten really good at waiting at this point), but I wish you all the best of luck!

agglomeration

New

Post by agglomeration » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:30 pm

ironicbunny wrote:I called the Admissions Office today and they say that they should be responding to almost all Matching Scholarships today or tomorrow (unless you submitted it within the last few days).

I got an email a few minutes ago saying my Matching Scholarship Application is being held for further consideration and I should get a final decision between April 25th and May 8th. Sucks for me (I would rather have heard yes or no today, but I guess I've gotten really good at waiting at this point), but I wish you all the best of luck!

I got this email too. I wonder how true the line "yours is one of only a few applicants selected for additional review" is. Anyone else get this email?

barrelofmonkeys

Gold

Post by barrelofmonkeys » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:32 pm

^ i mean, at least two people already right above you

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ironicbunny

New

Post by ironicbunny » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:38 pm

agglomeration wrote:
ironicbunny wrote:I called the Admissions Office today and they say that they should be responding to almost all Matching Scholarships today or tomorrow (unless you submitted it within the last few days).

I got this email too. I wonder how true the line "yours is one of only a few applicants selected for additional review" is. Anyone else get this email?
Yeah I think it's supposed to make us feel special enough to lower our torches and pitchforks for the time being while they continue to string us along. #cynical

koalacity

Silver

Post by koalacity » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:30 pm

ironicbunny wrote:
agglomeration wrote:

Yeah I think it's supposed to make us feel special enough to lower our torches and pitchforks for the time being while they continue to string us along. #cynical
Sigh. Berkeley was in my top 3 from the very start, but this is incredibly frustrating (to put it mildly). Why don't the California schools love me like I love them?

Gary

Bronze

Post by Gary » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:49 am

Also a held email for matching... Wtf

goldenflash19

Silver

Post by goldenflash19 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:47 pm

+1 to the matching hold train. My friends and family keep asking me how I can honestly have no idea where I'm going less than a week before deadlines, but I literally don't know my status at 2 out of my top 3 schools.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ironicbunny

New

Post by ironicbunny » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:04 pm

goldenflash19 wrote:+1 to the matching hold train. My friends and family keep asking me how I can honestly have no idea where I'm going less than a week before deadlines, but I literally don't know my status at 2 out of my top 3 schools.
Is this normal? The "best" (top) schools are the ones that have given me the fewest answers and their administration seems the most disorganized. I guess I don't see why schools would suddenly become extremely inefficient this year out of nowhere, but I'm sure they understand students have deadlines from other schools (which is not a new phenomenon). Plus, I just think it would be nice to be able to move ahead in life - start looking for apartments, roommates, etc. - which I can't do until I have any sort of clue where I will be in 4 months. I never expected that by this time, I would have these few answers. I definitely thought I would be all locked in an ready to go by now, but I have almost no better idea where I will be going to school this Fall than I did this time last year.

waferthinmint

Bronze

Post by waferthinmint » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:46 pm

Anyone attending the WilmerHale reception in downtown LA tonight? Don't mind me some shmoozing/ogling the innards of Biglaw/free food.

hellomellow

Bronze

Post by hellomellow » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:42 pm

has anyone looked into housing? what is the deal on the manville apartments?

in other words, are they cute and cozy :)

waferthinmint

Bronze

Post by waferthinmint » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:15 am

waferthinmint wrote:Anyone attending the WilmerHale reception in downtown LA tonight? Don't mind me some shmoozing/ogling the innards of Biglaw/free food.
Who was I kidding, getting cross-town, at rush hour, on a depo day?

Depo ran late, didn't make it. Guess no one ITT did?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Theopliske8711

Gold

Post by Theopliske8711 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:29 am

I withdrew, but I'd still like some free food and drink at the Sidney Austin event in NYC. I wonder if the RSVP people know if I withdrew or not?

Cocoblues

Bronze

Post by Cocoblues » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:24 pm

Got a pretty nice matching offer from Berkeley! B has officially shot to the top of my list!

Brettanomyces

Bronze

Post by Brettanomyces » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:26 pm

Cocoblues wrote:Got a pretty nice matching offer from Berkeley! B has officially shot to the top of my list!
Congrats!

Cocoblues

Bronze

Post by Cocoblues » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:02 pm

Brettanomyces wrote:
Cocoblues wrote:Got a pretty nice matching offer from Berkeley! B has officially shot to the top of my list!
Congrats!
Thanks!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Dr.Zer0

Silver

Post by Dr.Zer0 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:36 pm

I'm guessing Columbia offered her a pay raise and she submitted a petition to Berkeley for a match, but got denied.
Last edited by Dr.Zer0 on Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

koalacity

Silver

Post by koalacity » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:39 pm

Dr.Zer0 wrote:
I'm guessing Columbia offered her a pay raise and she submitted petition to Berkeley for a match, but got denied.
I heard she had issues logging into BearFacts to check her offer, and when she emailed them to see what was going on, they told her they were holding her matching salary application. But they said not to worry, because hers was one of only a few applications selected for additional review at this time. I guess she got tired of waiting.

ashley82929

New

Post by ashley82929 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:44 pm

Dr.Zer0 wrote:
I'm guessing Columbia offered her a pay raise and she submitted a petition to Berkeley for a match, but got denied.

Hahahah

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:48 pm

Dr.Zer0 wrote:
For those interested, Lester wasn't our official dean. She was our acting dean, and she was one of three candidates up for the official position at the time she accepted the CLS deanship.

The rumor is that she was either rejected or she figured she was about to be rejected for the position, so she went ahead with the Columbia offer.

I'm personally really sad to see her go. She was a very down-to-Earth person. Great sense of humor, good availability with students, and her background wasn't Ivy League, which is something I think should be more common among law school administrators, especially public schools. She also wasn't riding on White House or Capitol Hill history, which I think is a good thing because it made her less tied down by previous relationships.

waferthinmint

Bronze

Post by waferthinmint » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:56 pm

koalacity wrote:
Dr.Zer0 wrote:
I'm guessing Columbia offered her a pay raise and she submitted petition to Berkeley for a match, but got denied.
I heard she had issues logging into BearFacts to check her offer, and when she emailed them to see what was going on, they told her they were holding her matching salary application. But they said not to worry, because hers was one of only a few applications selected for additional review at this time. I guess she got tired of waiting.
:lol: +1

admiringatticus

Bronze

Post by admiringatticus » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:50 pm

Not that this is going to affect my decision (just curious) but does anyone know when Berkeley is announcing the new dean?

ironicbunny

New

Post by ironicbunny » Sun May 04, 2014 8:40 pm

FYI: Berkeley Scholarships office said they have handed out the merit-based scholarships (separate from Matching) by the end of April. So, if you were holding out hope for one of those, like I was, and you haven't heard anything by now, the time to abandon that hope is nigh.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”