UC-Berkeley Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
ashley82929

New

Re: UC-Berkeley Class of 2017

Post by ashley82929 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:16 pm

drumstickies wrote:Hey guys, just accessed my financial aid through bearfacts. It says my scholarship is under "grant - law." I'm grateful but not thrilled with the offer. I sent in a matching scholarship request a couple weeks ago.. Is there a chance to see the grant get boosted because of it, or does this scholarship include the matching offer?
Thank you for letting us know! I'm about to check mine

isaiah1992

Bronze

Post by isaiah1992 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:25 pm

ashley82929 wrote:
drumstickies wrote:Hey guys, just accessed my financial aid through bearfacts. It says my scholarship is under "grant - law." I'm grateful but not thrilled with the offer. I sent in a matching scholarship request a couple weeks ago.. Is there a chance to see the grant get boosted because of it, or does this scholarship include the matching offer?
For my matching offer under gift aid it says BH Matching scholarship.

Cocoblues

Bronze

Post by Cocoblues » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:26 pm

ashley82929 wrote:
Did you guys receive emails informing you of the scholarship review status/offer?

bonerland

New

Post by bonerland » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:27 pm

Cocoblues wrote:
ashley82929 wrote:
Did you guys receive emails informing you of the scholarship review status/offer?
No email, but I was able to see my offer. It is categorized as "Financial Aid and Scholarships", so it is for need and merit.

I also cannot tell if this is for all three years.
Last edited by bonerland on Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Toby Ziegler

Silver

Post by Toby Ziegler » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:28 pm

Tanicius wrote:Here's a photo of a map of South Berkeley. Red trapazoid is Elmwood. Blue circle is Rockridge. The greenery at the top of the map is Berkeley's campus. Boalt is near bottom-right corner of the greenery, the corner of Bancroft and College.
This is great! I showed your last two posts to my wife and she went into research mode -- iPad in hand and big yellow notebook at the ready. Ha. We really do appreciate it, Boalt seems like an amazing place to study law for 3 years. I hope to join the equivalent of this thread next year!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

admiringatticus

Bronze

Post by admiringatticus » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:29 pm

bonerland wrote:
Cocoblues wrote:
ashley82929 wrote:
No email, but I was able to see my offer. It is categorized as "Financial Aid and Scholarships", so it is for need and merit.

I also cannot tell if this is for all three years.
Same. I have a matching scholarship listed but no email. If this is yearly, I'm pretty much definitely headed to Berkeley. OMG how do I find out if it's yearly?? :shock:

ashley82929

New

Post by ashley82929 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:31 pm

I just checked my Bearfacts and it says $0 Gift Aid, and I am not able to apply for a matching scholarship. Considering my family and I have extremely low income (well below the poverty line) I'm hoping that they will update the grant amount later. Does anyone know about this?

If not, looks like I will not be going to Berkeley.

isaiah1992

Bronze

Post by isaiah1992 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:34 pm

admiringatticus wrote:
Same. I have a matching scholarship listed but no email. If this is yearly, I'm pretty much definitely headed to Berkeley. OMG how do I find out if it's yearly?? :shock:
If it's a matching scholarship it's yearly. So if it says BH matching scholarship, then it's yearly. That's how mine is anyways. Solidifies my matriculation to Berkeley pretty much.

Typhoon24

Silver

Post by Typhoon24 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:47 pm

isaiah1992 wrote:
admiringatticus wrote:
If it's a matching scholarship it's yearly. So if it says BH matching scholarship, then it's yearly. That's how mine is anyways. Solidifies my matriculation to Berkeley pretty much.
yeah, the thing is that the scholarship I matched actually changes amounts in the last year, so idk how to check. :?

i'll email them.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Cocoblues

Bronze

Post by Cocoblues » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:49 pm

I can't believe I forgot my Calnet ID :oops: :(

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:56 pm

Toby Ziegler wrote:
SemperLegal wrote:
Toby Ziegler wrote:Hey gang, I am applying next cycle and Berk is one of my top choices for a number of reasons. I was wondering if any of you that are planning to attend (or at least seriously looked into it) have families or are married and what your housing plans are. I am from a major west-coast city, but did not realize that San Fran's COL had ~equaled NYC. Yikes!

Basically what and where are the housing options for students with families at Berkeley? Ideally on a bus route or reasonable walking distance, as I would prefer my family to have the car during the days.
TYIA and huge congrats to you good people who are admitted!

Edited: Specificity.

I hear great things about : http://universityvillage.berkeley.edu/

Thanks for this! Is it a general consensus that living in campus/grad housing is the best/most cost efficient way to go?
Definitely not the best or cheapest, but it is convenient, safe(ish), and not criminally expensive. For peace of mind, it might be easiest to go with UC village if you won't have a lot of options to look at the place before you move in. Its a known quantity, it should be easier to coordinate kiddie school and day care (kids should go to Albany schools, which aren't as fucked as some of the Berkeley ones), and it's one less thing to worry about.

However, if you have the time and energy, you can probably get a better deal by pounding the pavement

mazer

New

Post by mazer » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:29 pm

What seems to be the timeline from acceptance to a scholarship offer posted on bearfacts? Since I was only accepted last Tuesday, I assumed it would still be a bit--as in closer to, or after, the April 15th tentative deadline.

Typhoon24

Silver

Post by Typhoon24 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:34 pm

mazer wrote:What seems to be the timeline from acceptance to a scholarship offer posted on bearfacts? Since I was only accepted last Tuesday, I assumed it would still be a bit--as in closer to, or after, the April 15th tentative deadline.
the FAQ said they'll email us with information on how to accept/deny and when to do so. They said something about trying to give people around two weeks or so to decide.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

albs18

Bronze

Post by albs18 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:40 pm

I just got an email from berkely noting my need based award. I have yet to log on to see the full offer.

I recommend y'all check your spam folders.

Best of luck folks!

albs18

Bronze

Post by albs18 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:52 pm

So it looks like I just got a need based award...does that mean no merit based on the way?

Any input would be appreciated!

aboutmydaylight

Silver

Post by aboutmydaylight » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:04 pm

I got the 0 need based aid email. MyFinAid says 0 gift aid. I haven't applied for a matching scholarship and my numbers suggest I'd get merit aid so I'm assuming this is completely independent of merit.

notactuallyposting

New

Post by notactuallyposting » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:16 pm

Looks like tuition didn't go up very much eh?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cotiger

Gold

Post by cotiger » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:19 pm

notactuallyposting wrote:Looks like tuition didn't go up very much eh?
What're the new tuition+fees?

notactuallyposting

New

Post by notactuallyposting » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:22 pm

It is listed in your fin aid-- it's less than 1k more

isaiah1992

Bronze

Post by isaiah1992 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:29 pm

cotiger wrote:
It actually went down this year for residents. 13-14 it was 48,057. 14-15 is 48,036.

cotiger

Gold

Post by cotiger » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:32 pm

notactuallyposting wrote:It is listed in your fin aid-- it's less than 1k more
Haha yeah, I figured. But I haven't gotten fin aid yet, which is why I asked.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Dr.Zer0

Silver

Post by Dr.Zer0 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:35 pm

isaiah1992 wrote:
cotiger wrote:
It actually went down this year for residents. 13-14 it was 48,057. 14-15 is 48,036.
More beer and gas money 8)

calle_25

Bronze

Post by calle_25 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:32 pm

aboutmydaylight wrote:I got the 0 need based aid email. MyFinAid says 0 gift aid. I haven't applied for a matching scholarship and my numbers suggest I'd get merit aid so I'm assuming this is completely independent of merit.
+1 on the need-based aid email and $0 showing up on MyFinAid. I'm really hoping they come through with some merit money. Like, REEEEELY hoping.

bonerland

New

Post by bonerland » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:37 pm

http://www.law.berkeley.edu/6951.htm

The law school produces grant and scholarship offers independently and notifies recipients directly. Grant and scholarship awards made by the law school are assimilated into the federal student aid offer and result in a package combining the federal student loans, campus-based aid, and grants and scholarships. Graduate PLUS Loan or private student loan eligibility is generally the difference between the standard student budget and the financial aid package.

Take that as you will.

calle_25

Bronze

Post by calle_25 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:46 pm

bonerland wrote:http://www.law.berkeley.edu/6951.htm

The law school produces grant and scholarship offers independently and notifies recipients directly. Grant and scholarship awards made by the law school are assimilated into the federal student aid offer and result in a package combining the federal student loans, campus-based aid, and grants and scholarships. Graduate PLUS Loan or private student loan eligibility is generally the difference between the standard student budget and the financial aid package.

Take that as you will.
Thanks for looking out, bonerland! :)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”