UPenn Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)

What section are you in?

1A
19%
1B
19%
2A
25%
2B
19%
3A
13%
3B
6%

Total votes: 16

goldenboy514

Silver

Re: UPenn Class of 2017

Post by goldenboy514 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:29 pm

rutgers17 wrote:I thought ASW was great! The current students seemed really nice and like they genuinely liked each other. The panels were informative and I really liked the other prospective students I met. I was also somewhat surprised to meet a good number of other ED people, who were all really nice. The whole experience definitely made me feel good about my decision to choose Penn.
+1 totally

Gold

Post by 04102014 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:39 pm

goldenboy514 wrote:
rutgers17 wrote:I thought ASW was great! The current students seemed really nice and like they genuinely liked each other. The panels were informative and I really liked the other prospective students I met. I was also somewhat surprised to meet a good number of other ED people, who were all really nice. The whole experience definitely made me feel good about my decision to choose Penn.
+1 totally
On the first night, of the 12 or so people I spoke with, about 9 of them were ED.

goldenboy514

Silver

Post by goldenboy514 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:41 pm

so did I meet any of you? Didn't hear TLS one time

willio

New

Post by willio » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:46 pm

Any tips for merit scholarship negotiation? I know Penn is typically stingy with merit aid, but it would quickly become my best option if I could make it a little cheaper. My LSAT is above their 75th and GPA above 25th. I have a $75,000 scholly from Michigan. Have people had luck using Michigan's scholarships as leverage for Penn?

Shortterm12

New

Post by Shortterm12 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:53 pm

willio wrote:Any tips for merit scholarship negotiation? I know Penn is typically stingy with merit aid, but it would quickly become my best option if I could make it a little cheaper. My LSAT is above their 75th and GPA above 25th. I have a $75,000 scholly from Michigan. Have people had luck using Michigan's scholarships as leverage for Penn?
I am also interested in this, have you already received your Penn merit aid offer?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

willio

New

Post by willio » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:06 pm

Shortterm12 wrote:
willio wrote:Any tips for merit scholarship negotiation? I know Penn is typically stingy with merit aid, but it would quickly become my best option if I could make it a little cheaper. My LSAT is above their 75th and GPA above 25th. I have a $75,000 scholly from Michigan. Have people had luck using Michigan's scholarships as leverage for Penn?
I am also interested in this, have you already received your Penn merit aid offer?
No. They told me the scholarship committee continually meets to re-review people for merit-scholarships and they have historically made scholarship decisions up to the deposit deadline.

AlwaysPlayTheFox

New

Post by AlwaysPlayTheFox » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:45 pm

In our current student panel they said the scholarship committee will generally negotiate it the "top 12" so basically no gtown negotiation.

I assume they will give you something if you received 75k from Mich.

lastsamurai

Silver

Post by lastsamurai » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:59 pm

goldenboy514 wrote:so did I meet any of you? Didn't hear TLS one time
Kept looking for Roger Sterling and didn't see him anywhere hmm....

goldenboy514

Silver

Post by goldenboy514 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:01 pm

lastsamurai wrote:
goldenboy514 wrote:so did I meet any of you? Didn't hear TLS one time
Kept looking for Roger Sterling and didn't see him anywhere hmm....
I was the chillest bro there so if you met me you'd know 8)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Shortterm12

New

Post by Shortterm12 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:07 pm

willio wrote:
Shortterm12 wrote:
No. They told me the scholarship committee continually meets to re-review people for merit-scholarships and they have historically made scholarship decisions up to the deposit deadline.
Ah bummer, thanks for the info. I hope they come out soon, deposit deadlines are looming

doing_it_in_a_car

Bronze

Post by doing_it_in_a_car » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:44 pm

lastsamurai wrote:I was incredibly impressed. Penn has made this decision even more agonizing. It had a completely different vibe from the other schools I have been to. Obviously they were rolling out the red carpet, but they did an excellent job of selling their school simply by showing what is amazing about it.

Way to go Penn...I think anyone with Penn as an option would be wise to give it complete consideration.

It appears I might have had a sip of the kool aid, but I do still have those rose-colored asw glasses on, so take it with a mid-sized grain of salt.
ED'er here, so take my experience with a large handful of salt, but I was also very impressed with Penn's ASW. After listening to all of the panels, I was blown away by how many programs and how much resources are available for such a small class - e.g. I think there are enough slots for everyone interested to be on a journal and get into their top choice of clinic. And despite all the posturing, I think there is something to the whole collegiality thing. All of the current students and new admits I talked to were really nice and easy to get along with. All in all, this weekend made me incredibly happy with my choice to ED to Penn, and I already can't wait to catch up with everyone in the fall!

hahazby

New

Post by hahazby » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:42 am

doing_it_in_a_car wrote:
lastsamurai wrote:I was incredibly impressed. Penn has made this decision even more agonizing. It had a completely different vibe from the other schools I have been to. Obviously they were rolling out the red carpet, but they did an excellent job of selling their school simply by showing what is amazing about it.

Way to go Penn...I think anyone with Penn as an option would be wise to give it complete consideration.

It appears I might have had a sip of the kool aid, but I do still have those rose-colored asw glasses on, so take it with a mid-sized grain of salt.
ED'er here, so take my experience with a large handful of salt, but I was also very impressed with Penn's ASW. After listening to all of the panels, I was blown away by how many programs and how much resources are available for such a small class - e.g. I think there are enough slots for everyone interested to be on a journal and get into their top choice of clinic. And despite all the posturing, I think there is something to the whole collegiality thing. All of the current students and new admits I talked to were really nice and easy to get along with. All in all, this weekend made me incredibly happy with my choice to ED to Penn, and I already can't wait to catch up with everyone in the fall!
+1 :D

kartelite

Bronze

Post by kartelite » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:17 pm

Is Penn open to "negotiating" merit aid? And what are the odds of them matching $90k from NYU or Columbia (Butler)?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NicCageOnline

New

Post by NicCageOnline » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:26 pm

kartelite wrote:Is Penn open to "negotiating" merit aid? And what are the odds of them matching $90k from NYU or Columbia (Butler)?

Also, whom does one approach at Penn to start the negotiation process? Which email address?

baloneydanza

Bronze

Post by baloneydanza » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:42 pm

kartelite wrote:Is Penn open to "negotiating" merit aid? And what are the odds of them matching $90k from NYU or Columbia (Butler)?
Yes. Don't know the odds. Check the admitted students website for who you should contact for scholarships. I sent an email to the dean who informed me of my aid but I suspect they won't be the one who eventually responds.
Last edited by baloneydanza on Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AlwaysPlayTheFox

New

Post by AlwaysPlayTheFox » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:42 pm

NicCageOnline wrote:

Also, whom does one approach at Penn to start the negotiation process? Which email address?
Not 100% sure but i think they said you just email the scholarship letter to the law schools financial aid people. Maybe use the generic email for them or call?

Theopliske8711

Gold

Post by Theopliske8711 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:07 am

So, I got a response for the need-based financial aid, which, as expected, is zero. When will I expect to hear about merit-based? Do I have to go on some personal initiative for it?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Arrow4Christ

Bronze

Post by Arrow4Christ » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:08 am

Just got my need-based package as well. I'm happy with it, but it won't be enough to induce me to attend Penn unless I get an additional merit award. Penn sends merit and need awards separately, correct?

KatyMarie

Silver

Post by KatyMarie » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:39 pm

Arrow4Christ wrote:Just got my need-based package as well. I'm happy with it, but it won't be enough to induce me to attend Penn unless I get an additional merit award. Penn sends merit and need awards separately, correct?
Yep. Separately....and they send out Merit-based scholarships all the way up until the deposit deadline :/

bhanson10

New

Post by bhanson10 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:49 pm

NicCageOnline wrote:

It's really easy. Just send the package you got from another school to scholarships@law.upenn.edu and they will review and get back to you.

bhanson10

New

Post by bhanson10 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:51 pm

Also, super stoked to be going to Penn this next year. I also was an ED, but I definitely feel that I made the right decision. Everyone was awesome to talk to, there didn't seem to be anyone who I got a bad vibe from. I met a lot of cool people-- some of them TLSers-- and am so exited to start in the fall. Also, Philly is awesome, from a west coast native's perspective.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

AlwaysPlayTheFox

New

Post by AlwaysPlayTheFox » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:56 pm

bhanson10 wrote:Also, super stoked to be going to Penn this next year. I also was an ED, but I definitely feel that I made the right decision. Everyone was awesome to talk to, there didn't seem to be anyone who I got a bad vibe from. I met a lot of cool people-- some of them TLSers-- and am so exited to start in the fall. Also, Philly is awesome, from a west coast native's perspective.
+1 After ASW - definitely solidified my decision to pick Penn... now to send out letters officially to the others haha

kartelite

Bronze

Post by kartelite » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:45 pm

bhanson10 wrote:
NicCageOnline wrote:

It's really easy. Just send the package you got from another school to scholarships@law.upenn.edu and they will review and get back to you.
Cool. I'll wait until I hear their initial aid offer first. Will Penn consider full scholarships from lower-ranked schools in the process or only peer/T6 schools?

lastsamurai

Silver

Post by lastsamurai » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:57 pm

kartelite wrote:
bhanson10 wrote:
NicCageOnline wrote:

Cool. I'll wait until I hear their initial aid offer first. Will Penn consider full scholarships from lower-ranked schools in the process or only peer/T6 schools?
Believe they said T10 or T12 at asw

bhanson10

New

Post by bhanson10 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:56 pm

This ^^^^

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”