UPenn Class of 2017

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)

What section are you in?

1A
19%
1B
19%
2A
25%
2B
19%
3A
13%
3B
6%

Total votes: 16

paglababa

Re: UPenn Class of 2017

Postby paglababa » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:29 pm

jaesonko wrote:Pretty disappointed with my merit-based offer as well -- Penn is offering less than half of NYU :shock:

Negotiate! They should be trying to beat NYU.
I can't believe I only got 15k merit and above both medians.

samoby

Postby samoby » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:42 pm

paglababa wrote:
jaesonko wrote:Pretty disappointed with my merit-based offer as well -- Penn is offering less than half of NYU :shock:

I'm scared to get my offer (or lack of one) after this.

jaesonko

Postby jaesonko » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:51 pm

paglababa wrote:

Did you recieve a substantial amount of need aid? Come to think of it NYUs offer just said 'dean scholarship' but I dont recall it making a distinction between need/merit.

Anyway, I don't think I'm seriously considering Penn anymore.

SplitMyPants

Postby SplitMyPants » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:54 pm

paglababa wrote:

:shock:

Maybe I should just check out of this thread now.

paglababa

Postby paglababa » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:58 pm

SplitMyPants wrote:
paglababa wrote:

Well to be fair they gave me 'substantial need based aid' grants.
It could be that other schools simply do not make distinction. In total I got about 70-75k over 3 years merit and need combined.

SplitMyPants

Postby SplitMyPants » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:59 pm

paglababa wrote:
SplitMyPants wrote:
paglababa wrote:

It could be that other schools simply do not make distinction. In total I got about 70-75k over 3 years merit and need combined.

Good to know. Thanks for clarifying.

KatyMarie

Postby KatyMarie » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:04 pm

paglababa wrote:Well to be fair they gave me 'substantial need based aid' grants.

Ohh okay. That makes a lot more sense now. I was wondering how you could wind up with only 15k....

jaesonko

Postby jaesonko » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:05 pm

paglababa wrote:
SplitMyPants wrote:
paglababa wrote:

Yeah thats essentially what I posted above. I'm above both 75ths and got 30k in merit-aid -- but I was offered an additional 30k in need-aid.

tpfennin

Postby tpfennin » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:53 pm

Do we know if the financial aid office is the one giving out the grants? I thought i read that they only deal with loans? Can't imagine its not them though haha

Optimist Prime

Postby Optimist Prime » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:12 pm

Awarded the super-prestigious distinction of being a 1/2 scholly alternate! I guess writing the scholarship essay in the first person and then quoting Kayne West interrupting Taylor Swift's Grammy speech was not TCR. Some people just don't want to be taken on a saga of the mind.

goldenboy514

Postby goldenboy514 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:28 pm

Optimist Prime wrote:Awarded the super-prestigious distinction of being a 1/2 scholly alternate! I guess writing the scholarship essay in the first person and then quoting Kayne West interrupting Taylor Swift's Grammy speech was not TCR. Some people just don't want to be taken on a saga of the mind.

Hey yo ima let you finish optimist prime, but other people had one of the best essays of all time. Of all time.

On a serious note, being an alternative ain't bad. It's not like your the alternative for being student government president, or somethin that'll never come to fruition. There's a good chance someone won't take the offer and you'll be able to fulfill the duties

Optimist Prime

Postby Optimist Prime » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:27 pm

goldenboy514 wrote:
Optimist Prime wrote:Awarded the super-prestigious distinction of being a 1/2 scholly alternate! I guess writing the scholarship essay in the first person and then quoting Kayne West interrupting Taylor Swift's Grammy speech was not TCR. Some people just don't want to be taken on a saga of the mind.

Hey yo ima let you finish optimist prime, but other people had one of the best essays of all time. Of all time.

On a serious note, being an alternative ain't bad. It's not like your the alternative for being student government president, or somethin that'll never come to fruition. There's a good chance someone won't take the offer and you'll be able to fulfill the duties

Haha, from the email I got the impression that "alternate" is what they're calling everyone who doesn't get the award (obviously it's an ironic post-admission YP)

Also true story I was VP of my school's student government as a result of a write on "alternate" contest. You can't make this stuff up.

goldenboy514

Postby goldenboy514 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:35 pm

Lol that's crazy ironic

LSAT9986

Postby LSAT9986 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:33 am

For those that received - what amount of grant aid did you receive? (Merit or Need?)

Trig

Postby Trig » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:05 pm

What is the largest amount offered for the Dean Scholarship? I have heard of $30,000 (over 3 years).

paglababa

Postby paglababa » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:17 pm

Trig wrote:What is the largest amount offered for the Dean Scholarship? I have heard of $30,000 (over 3 years).

+1, would like to know if anyone got that or more. PM is fine.

ard2132

Postby ard2132 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:29 pm

My dad is fully disabled with ALS and no need-based aid.....

yomisterd

Postby yomisterd » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:42 pm

ard2132 wrote:My dad is fully disabled with ALS and no need-based aid.....

APPEAL

Power_of_Facing

Postby Power_of_Facing » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:01 pm

Optimist Prime wrote:
goldenboy514 wrote:

Haha, from the email I got the impression that "alternate" is what they're calling everyone who doesn't get the award (obviously it's an ironic post-admission YP)

Also true story I was VP of my school's student government as a result of a write on "alternate" contest. You can't make this stuff up.

Can we confirm that everyone who didn't receive the half scholly was termed "an alternate"? I received an email saying that I am in this group, and I'd be interested to gauge the likelihood that Penn might increase its offer. UPenn is a top choice for me.

SplitMyPants

Postby SplitMyPants » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:13 pm

Power_of_Facing wrote:
Optimist Prime wrote:
goldenboy514 wrote:

Can we confirm that everyone who didn't receive the half scholly was termed "an alternate"? I received an email saying that I am in this group, and I'd be interested to gauge the likelihood that Penn might increase its offer. UPenn is a top choice for me.

I've yet to get any aid email.

dglenn26

Postby dglenn26 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:21 pm

Optimist Prime wrote:
goldenboy514 wrote:

On a similar note, I was VP of high school NHS after I got second place in the presidential race. However, the president was ousted from office by the adviser amid scandal (I'm not kidding) and I became president. So there is hope for all alternates!

Robbin Blue

Postby Robbin Blue » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:29 pm

Has anyone who applied for the Toll PI program heard back about fin aid?

applelover

Postby applelover » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:08 pm

no merit-based or need-based aid.

lastsamurai

Postby lastsamurai » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:24 pm

^^ nothing apple? that seems a bit strange no?

goldenboy514

Postby goldenboy514 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:44 pm

applelover wrote:no merit-based or need-based aid.

Didn't you get a ruby? If so I don't feel bad for you no offense

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”