UPenn Class of 2017

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)

What section are you in?

1A
3
19%
1B
3
19%
2A
4
25%
2B
3
19%
3A
2
13%
3B
1
6%
 
Total votes: 16

gatorgal
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:04 am

Re: UPenn Class of 2017

Postby gatorgal » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:22 pm

Clearly wrote:I may have gotten a little crazy with this, I now have a Penn picture frame, hoodie, shirt, and portfolio coming :|


I have a hoodie and shirt in a shopping cart right now. I think you provided the push I needed to checkout. :)

User avatar
Nickg415
Posts: 290
Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 4:31 pm

Re: UPenn Class of 2017

Postby Nickg415 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:41 pm

Congrats on all the admits today! I was an ED applicant last year. If you have any questions feel free to ask on the Penn Students Taking Questions Thread. Congrats again everyone! Can't wait to meet all of you at ASW.

GREEKTHELMA
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:39 pm

Re: UPenn Class of 2017

Postby GREEKTHELMA » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:28 am

Clearly wrote:I may have gotten a little crazy with this, I now have a Penn picture frame, hoodie, shirt, and portfolio coming :|


I got the call on the 12th too!! So excited. I did the same thing and immediately started searching for a sweatshirt, BUT I haven't ordered anything yet :) I'm glad I'm not the only one!

CONGRATS EVERYONE!!

GREEKTHELMA
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:39 pm

Re: UPenn Class of 2017

Postby GREEKTHELMA » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:48 am

1948 wrote:
mrclayton wrote:Hi congratulations to everyone! How is everyone going about completing this Dean's Certification for Penn? Do we need contact our Dean directly or will Penn contact the Dean's office themselves?


maybe i just completely missed this but what is this dean's certification? did not see it mentioned in the email. only saw the commitment to matriculate and tuition deposit/deposit form.

also, how exactly do you withdraw from other schools?



From what I understood, the dean's cert is basically a form of some type that just indicates that you graduated 'in good standing' from your undergraduate institution... I believe it's a disciplinary clearance type deal... but what do I know really. I believe Penn requires it once you've committed to attend... I'll probably be calling my undergrad Monday!

1948
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:07 pm

Re: UPenn Class of 2017

Postby 1948 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:47 am

any chance for money for early decision acceptances? anyone know when scholarships will be given out?

User avatar
tigersaresexy
Posts: 177
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:32 am

Re: UPenn Class of 2017

Postby tigersaresexy » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:42 pm

GREEKTHELMA wrote:
1948 wrote:
mrclayton wrote:Hi congratulations to everyone! How is everyone going about completing this Dean's Certification for Penn? Do we need contact our Dean directly or will Penn contact the Dean's office themselves?


maybe i just completely missed this but what is this dean's certification? did not see it mentioned in the email. only saw the commitment to matriculate and tuition deposit/deposit form.

also, how exactly do you withdraw from other schools?



From what I understood, the dean's cert is basically a form of some type that just indicates that you graduated 'in good standing' from your undergraduate institution... I believe it's a disciplinary clearance type deal... but what do I know really. I believe Penn requires it once you've committed to attend... I'll probably be calling my undergrad Monday!


+1

I called my UG, they told me they needed a form from the school requesting the letter. Couldn't find one on asw website so I'm going to put it off until I hear from them about it...maybe they collect them over the summer or after the bulk of their students have been admitted.

Also, someone asked earlier about housing but I'm going to reiterate that. I have a friend in Penn UG right now who told me everyone does their housing in December/Jan, I don't wanna be left hanging after all the UG kids snap up the good apartments. Any building recommendations? There's supposed to be a big apartment just by the law school that houses lots of grad students but I can't seem to figure out what the building is called.

Anyone planning on on-campus housing? It's a backup in case I don't get a studio somewhere, but urghh I don't want to live in a dorm again. I guess it's easier to make friends though..so I don't know.

User avatar
tigersaresexy
Posts: 177
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:32 am

Re: UPenn Class of 2017

Postby tigersaresexy » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:48 pm

Nickg415 wrote:Congrats on all the admits today! I was an ED applicant last year. If you have any questions feel free to ask on the Penn Students Taking Questions Thread. Congrats again everyone! Can't wait to meet all of you at ASW.


Oh hey, I know you don't know me but I followed your struggles through last year's applicants thread earlier this month when I was freaking out about admissions.

That kind of creepiness is only okay on the internet.

User avatar
Nickg415
Posts: 290
Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 4:31 pm

Re: UPenn Class of 2017

Postby Nickg415 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:53 pm

tigersaresexy wrote:
Nickg415 wrote:Congrats on all the admits today! I was an ED applicant last year. If you have any questions feel free to ask on the Penn Students Taking Questions Thread. Congrats again everyone! Can't wait to meet all of you at ASW.


Oh hey, I know you don't know me but I followed your struggles through last year's applicants thread earlier this month when I was freaking out about admissions.

That kind of creepiness is only okay on the internet.


hahaha secret TLS admirers are always appreciated :lol:. As for housing Domus Apartments are the ones right across the street from the school. I know a lot of other students live at a complex called The Left Bank. Those were a bit to pricey from me so I found a place further west of the school with three friends and we each pay 550 a month.

tmanthedman
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:54 pm

Re: UPenn Class of 2017

Postby tmanthedman » Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:02 pm

Nickg415 wrote:
tigersaresexy wrote:
Nickg415 wrote:Congrats on all the admits today! I was an ED applicant last year. If you have any questions feel free to ask on the Penn Students Taking Questions Thread. Congrats again everyone! Can't wait to meet all of you at ASW.


Oh hey, I know you don't know me but I followed your struggles through last year's applicants thread earlier this month when I was freaking out about admissions.

That kind of creepiness is only okay on the internet.


hahaha secret TLS admirers are always appreciated :lol:. As for housing Domus Apartments are the ones right across the street from the school. I know a lot of other students live at a complex called The Left Bank. Those were a bit to pricey from me so I found a place further west of the school with three friends and we each pay 550 a month.


What are the prices like in The Left Bank? for 1 and 2 bedrooms if you know by any chance

User avatar
tigersaresexy
Posts: 177
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:32 am

Re: UPenn Class of 2017

Postby tigersaresexy » Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:04 pm

Nickg415 wrote:
tigersaresexy wrote:
Nickg415 wrote:Congrats on all the admits today! I was an ED applicant last year. If you have any questions feel free to ask on the Penn Students Taking Questions Thread. Congrats again everyone! Can't wait to meet all of you at ASW.


Oh hey, I know you don't know me but I followed your struggles through last year's applicants thread earlier this month when I was freaking out about admissions.

That kind of creepiness is only okay on the internet.


hahaha secret TLS admirers are always appreciated :lol:. As for housing Domus Apartments are the ones right across the street from the school. I know a lot of other students live at a complex called The Left Bank. Those were a bit to pricey from me so I found a place further west of the school with three friends and we each pay 550 a month.


Oh wow Domus is super pricey. Damn. I lived 2 blocks away from the white house in a nice ass apartment and I didn't pay that much.

Have you heard of The Hub? Went to Philly to visit a friend once and he lived there..it seemed nice enough but I'm wondering how it stands against other places nearby.

doing_it_in_a_car
Posts: 147
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:43 pm

Re: UPenn Class of 2017

Postby doing_it_in_a_car » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:23 pm

tigersaresexy wrote:
Nickg415 wrote:Congrats on all the admits today! I was an ED applicant last year. If you have any questions feel free to ask on the Penn Students Taking Questions Thread. Congrats again everyone! Can't wait to meet all of you at ASW.


Oh hey, I know you don't know me but I followed your struggles through last year's applicants thread earlier this month when I was freaking out about admissions.

That kind of creepiness is only okay on the internet.


I also followed him last cycle. Nickg. The most epic little green dot on lsn and the patron saint of splitters.

User avatar
Nickg415
Posts: 290
Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 4:31 pm

Re: UPenn Class of 2017

Postby Nickg415 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:50 am

yeah the Hub seems pretty nice. it is only a few blocks east of my place so its not in the best part of Univ. City but those few blocks make it much better than where I live. That being said, I don't think where I live is necessarily dangerous (I like to call it a gentrifying ghetto). So depending on how it compares to Domus/Left Bank in price and size of room it might be worth it. Domus is just so nice because it is right across from the law school and there will surely be a good amount of law students there. I also don't know about the prices at the left bank. Your best bet is to hit up the "ask penn law student" (I posted a link on a previous page) I'm sure one of my classmates can help out with some info.

Joeybagofdonuts
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:15 pm

Re: UPenn Class of 2017

Postby Joeybagofdonuts » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:52 am

Checking in a bit late here. Absolutely ecstatic to attend this law school! My housing plan was to move into an apartment in Manayunk with a few high school friends in the area. Does anyone have thoughts on this? Supposedly its a ten minute train ride from the school.

User avatar
Nelson
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: UPenn Class of 2017

Postby Nelson » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:59 pm

Joeybagofdonuts wrote:Checking in a bit late here. Absolutely ecstatic to attend this law school! My housing plan was to move into an apartment in Manayunk with a few high school friends in the area. Does anyone have thoughts on this? Supposedly its a ten minute train ride from the school.

You'll be living much further away from campus than 90-95% of 1Ls, but it's doable. You're going to be beholden to the regional rail schedule a lot.

gatorgal
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:04 am

Re: UPenn Class of 2017

Postby gatorgal » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:56 pm

What are the recommended hotels for ASW? I haven't shopped around yet, but I'd imagine the hotels right in the heart of campus can be pricey.

thenewguy
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:51 am

Re: UPenn Class of 2017

Postby thenewguy » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:12 pm

checking in, is there a facebook group up and running or something?

gatorgal
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:04 am

Re: UPenn Class of 2017

Postby gatorgal » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:29 pm

thenewguy wrote:checking in, is there a facebook group up and running or something?


The link is on the Admitted Students website. I think I saw it under a few sections, but it's definitely under "Connect with Us."

User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4165
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: UPenn Class of 2017

Postby Clearly » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:08 pm

gatorgal wrote:What are the recommended hotels for ASW? I haven't shopped around yet, but I'd imagine the hotels right in the heart of campus can be pricey.

I stayed at a four corners very close to campus for a great deal last year.

tmanthedman
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:54 pm

Re: UPenn Class of 2017

Postby tmanthedman » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:42 am

Does anyone know what ASW is like?

tacofreedom
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:59 am

Re: UPenn Class of 2017

Postby tacofreedom » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:00 pm

Joeybagofdonuts wrote:Checking in a bit late here. Absolutely ecstatic to attend this law school! My housing plan was to move into an apartment in Manayunk with a few high school friends in the area. Does anyone have thoughts on this? Supposedly its a ten minute train ride from the school.


I would caution against this. Without taking into account the walk to and from stations you would be looking at a minimum of 30 minutes on the train. Worse, the Manayunk line only goes to University City (the closest station to Penn) a few times a day. Outside of those times you would have to walk ~15 minutes from 30th street station to Penn. Depending on how far away from the Manayunk station your friends live and how the trains line up with your classes, you would be looking at a 40 - 60 minute commute each way.

It may be cheaper to live with the friends, but you would have to factor in the cost of a monthly train pass ($~130) immediately.

I agree with Nelson that it would be doable, but the very likely possibility of 2 hour commute makes this option less attractive.

Here is a link to a PDF of the Manayunk line schedule: http://septa.org/schedules/rail/pdf/nor.pdf
Baldwin.ph is a mobile site (can be used on desktops browsers as well) that is useful for Philly regional rail transit. I would check that out as well.

Robert_Bert
Posts: 117
Joined: Mon May 13, 2013 11:46 pm

Re: UPenn Class of 2017

Postby Robert_Bert » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:25 am

excited to be checking in here! pending columbia ED results.

curiousgeorgia
Posts: 291
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:06 pm

Re: UPenn Class of 2017

Postby curiousgeorgia » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:31 am

gatorgal wrote:
thenewguy wrote:checking in, is there a facebook group up and running or something?


The link is on the Admitted Students website. I think I saw it under a few sections, but it's definitely under "Connect with Us."


Here's a direct link to the Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1411015949134595/

Feel free to contact any of the current students in that group with questions regarding ASW, housing, and Penn Law life in general :D

bhanson10
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:59 pm

Re: UPenn Class of 2017

Postby bhanson10 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:19 pm

So for this particular Christmas, I think my family hopped on the Penn Law bandwagon. I got both a Penn Law sweatshirt and a UPenn sweatshirt. Tis the season to be warm I suppose. Who's looking forward to days with highs of 16 degrees F?!

User avatar
kershka
Posts: 630
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:45 pm

Re: UPenn Class of 2017

Postby kershka » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:07 pm

Excited to check in here! I was just admitted RD this morning and hope to meet you all at ASW!

User avatar
hardrive6
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:46 am

Re: UPenn Class of 2017

Postby hardrive6 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:30 pm

Congrats and welcome! Very much looking forward to ASW.




Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest