Vanderbilt Class of 2017!

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)

Which ASW are you planning to attend?

March 14
24
46%
April 4
15
29%
Don't know yet
8
15%
None :(
5
10%
 
Total votes: 52

tsv
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:33 am

Re: Vanderbilt Class of 2017!

Postby tsv » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:25 am

Has anyone tried negotiating yet?

El Principe
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:10 am

Re: Vanderbilt Class of 2017!

Postby El Principe » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:26 am

tsv wrote:Has anyone tried negotiating yet?


Bout to send an email. Worst they can say is no, right?

tsv
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:33 am

Re: Vanderbilt Class of 2017!

Postby tsv » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:36 am

El Principe wrote:
tsv wrote:Has anyone tried negotiating yet?


Bout to send an email. Worst they can say is no, right?


Yeah- not that bad :P
Please let me know how it goes!!

User avatar
Robbin Blue
Posts: 647
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 12:13 am

Re: Vanderbilt Class of 2017!

Postby Robbin Blue » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:23 am

tsv wrote:Has anyone tried negotiating yet?


Yup, they said no and that they don't negotiate, haha. But give it a shot.

User avatar
JustHawkin
Posts: 1753
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:54 am

Re: Vanderbilt Class of 2017!

Postby JustHawkin » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:25 am

Robbin Blue wrote:
tsv wrote:Has anyone tried negotiating yet?


Yup, they said no and that they don't negotiate, haha. But give it a shot.

How quick were they to fire that off?

arklaw13
Posts: 1704
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:36 pm

Re: Vanderbilt Class of 2017!

Postby arklaw13 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:47 am

It seems like their offers are pretty mechanical. I'm pretty sure everyone who is above both medians and at or above at least one 75th percentile gets $110k. Above both medians but less than 75th percentiles, around $95k. Above one 75th percentile, below one median, $75-80k. Above one median, below the other, $60k or less. Etc., etc. So maybe that's why they don't negotiate much.

User avatar
Robbin Blue
Posts: 647
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 12:13 am

Re: Vanderbilt Class of 2017!

Postby Robbin Blue » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:13 pm

JustHawkin wrote:
Robbin Blue wrote:
tsv wrote:Has anyone tried negotiating yet?


Yup, they said no and that they don't negotiate, haha. But give it a shot.

How quick were they to fire that off?


Just under a week. They explained their decision really well, so they definitely weren't rude about it.

aubs4law
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:53 pm

Re: Vanderbilt Class of 2017!

Postby aubs4law » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:03 pm

For those of you that gave been admitted recently, how long did it take to receive merit scholarship awards (if you have been awarded one, of course)?

El Principe
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:10 am

Re: Vanderbilt Class of 2017!

Postby El Principe » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:27 pm

aubs4law wrote:For those of you that gave been admitted recently, how long did it take to receive merit scholarship awards (if you have been awarded one, of course)?


They came in a wave. I think it was 3 weeks. I believe, however, it's independent of when you get accepted, because everyone accepted at the time got em at once.

gta
Posts: 254
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:51 pm

Re: Vanderbilt Class of 2017!

Postby gta » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:01 am

Has anyone received a Law Scholars Merit Award? Wondering if those went out yet.

squincy
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:31 pm

Re: Vanderbilt Class of 2017!

Postby squincy » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:14 pm

gta wrote:Has anyone received a Law Scholars Merit Award? Wondering if those went out yet.


It's unclear. No one on TLS or LSN has recorded receiving one this year. The admissions office won't really give out any info about it.

williamsme90
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:44 am

Re: Vanderbilt Class of 2017!

Postby williamsme90 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:52 pm

Just got my scholarship info today - really confused. People with similar numbers on LSN were consistently awarded $110,000 - I only received $60,000 :?

User avatar
Robbin Blue
Posts: 647
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 12:13 am

Re: Vanderbilt Class of 2017!

Postby Robbin Blue » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:57 pm

williamsme90 wrote:Just got my scholarship info today - really confused. People with similar numbers on LSN were consistently awarded $110,000 - I only received $60,000 :?


Huh. Does anyone know if they take the interviews into consideration for scholarship purposes? Maybe your interviewer had something to do with it? I'm not sure what else it could really be.

PrideandGlory1776
Posts: 307
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:14 pm

Re: Vanderbilt Class of 2017!

Postby PrideandGlory1776 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:01 pm

Has anyone done the math on cost of attendance with half tuition based on average living expenses and including regular tuition increases and interest rates etc.? I'm guessing between 135k-150k - let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

arklaw13
Posts: 1704
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:36 pm

Re: Vanderbilt Class of 2017!

Postby arklaw13 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:02 pm

williamsme90 wrote:Just got my scholarship info today - really confused. People with similar numbers on LSN were consistently awarded $110,000 - I only received $60,000 :?


That is odd. If you got 169/4.0 like you're profile says, you normally get 110k automatically. It could be that you applied late and there's so much money outstanding that they're starting to give more conservative offers. I'd use that as a negotiating position later in the cycle if you're really interested in Vandy. Maybe email them before the deposit deadline and ask if they could bump you up to what everyone else with your numbers got.

WeddingCrasher
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 3:51 pm

Re: Vanderbilt Class of 2017!

Postby WeddingCrasher » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:06 pm

I had the same experience. Just received my scholarship info and it was about 60% of what others with my exact same numbers received. I'm confused/bumbed because Vandy's a top choice. Think they have overcommitted themselves or something? I'm pretty certain there is no interview component to the scholarships, strictly for admissions. PM if you want to share specifics. I don't know what to do. I've heard (from TLS) that Vandy doesn't negotiate.

williamsme90
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:44 am

Re: Vanderbilt Class of 2017!

Postby williamsme90 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:07 pm

Robbin Blue wrote:
williamsme90 wrote:Just got my scholarship info today - really confused. People with similar numbers on LSN were consistently awarded $110,000 - I only received $60,000 :?


Huh. Does anyone know if they take the interviews into consideration for scholarship purposes? Maybe your interviewer had something to do with it? I'm not sure what else it could really be.


I applied in January, so I missed the interview deadline. Maybe that has something to do with it? I'm really surprised and disappointed.

User avatar
Robbin Blue
Posts: 647
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 12:13 am

Re: Vanderbilt Class of 2017!

Postby Robbin Blue » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:15 pm

.
Last edited by Robbin Blue on Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Robbin Blue
Posts: 647
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 12:13 am

Re: Vanderbilt Class of 2017!

Postby Robbin Blue » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:17 pm

WeddingCrasher wrote:I had the same experience. Just received my scholarship info and it was about 60% of what others with my exact same numbers received. I'm confused/bumbed because Vandy's a top choice. Think they have overcommitted themselves or something? I'm pretty certain there is no interview component to the scholarships, strictly for admissions. PM if you want to share specifics. I don't know what to do. I've heard (from TLS) that Vandy doesn't negotiate.


I mean, if you have a higher offer from a higher ranked school, you should definitely ask them to reconsider. Otherwise, yeah, I don't think there's too much you can do, unless you want to reapply next year (and possibly get the extra 40%).

User avatar
SplitMyPants
Posts: 1395
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:22 pm

Re: Vanderbilt Class of 2017!

Postby SplitMyPants » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:25 pm

PrideandGlory1776 wrote:Has anyone done the math on cost of attendance with half tuition based on average living expenses and including regular tuition increases and interest rates etc.? I'm guessing between 135k-150k - let me know what you guys think. Thanks!


Image

Note: This does not use the hybrid interest rate found in LST's calculations (coming from using GradPlus and Stafford, which have different interest rates). It's a good estimate, though.

PrideandGlory1776
Posts: 307
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:14 pm

Re: Vanderbilt Class of 2017!

Postby PrideandGlory1776 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:30 pm

SplitMyPants wrote:
PrideandGlory1776 wrote:Has anyone done the math on cost of attendance with half tuition based on average living expenses and including regular tuition increases and interest rates etc.? I'm guessing between 135k-150k - let me know what you guys think. Thanks!


Image

Note: This does not use the hybrid interest rate found in LST's calculations (coming from using GradPlus and Stafford, which have different interest rates). It's a good estimate, though.


Yikes wish Vandy were cheaper it woulda been my first choice but I think I gotta take the full-ride at its lower ranked peer instead - thanks for the data point SplitMyPants - appreciate it bro

arklaw13
Posts: 1704
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:36 pm

Re: Vanderbilt Class of 2017!

Postby arklaw13 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:43 pm

PrideandGlory1776 wrote:
SplitMyPants wrote:
PrideandGlory1776 wrote:Has anyone done the math on cost of attendance with half tuition based on average living expenses and including regular tuition increases and interest rates etc.? I'm guessing between 135k-150k - let me know what you guys think. Thanks!


Image

Note: This does not use the hybrid interest rate found in LST's calculations (coming from using GradPlus and Stafford, which have different interest rates). It's a good estimate, though.


Yikes wish Vandy were cheaper it woulda been my first choice but I think I gotta take the full-ride at its lower ranked peer instead - thanks for the data point SplitMyPants - appreciate it bro


CoL looks about right. That's comparable to what I've spent so far.

User avatar
KatyMarie
Posts: 616
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:16 pm

Re: Vanderbilt Class of 2017!

Postby KatyMarie » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:42 am

I ran the numbers with LS22's Cost of Attendance Comparison spreadsheet...I initially underestimated the cost of living in Nashville. Rent by itself would be so expensive. :?

User avatar
JustHawkin
Posts: 1753
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:54 am

Re: Vanderbilt Class of 2017!

Postby JustHawkin » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:16 am

KatyMarie wrote:I ran the numbers with LS22's Cost of Attendance Comparison spreadsheet...I initially underestimated the cost of living in Nashville. Rent by itself would be so expensive. :?

I think it's really contingent on where you live in comparison to the school, yes?

arivtal
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:39 am

Re: Vanderbilt Class of 2017!

Postby arivtal » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:39 am

Where is everyone thinking of living, and what are housing expenses like?

I found some studios for ~ $1,000, which is more than I expected




Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests