NYU Class of 2017 - We are real 1Ls now

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
User avatar
yomisterd
Posts: 1556
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:52 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby yomisterd » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:18 pm

Chatting with the Director of the Judicial Clerkship office today. I really am loving the availability of faculty and the outreach from NYU as well.

User avatar
Jessasaurus
Posts: 289
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:02 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby Jessasaurus » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:22 pm

Sorry if this has already been answered, but are we able to stay with current students during asw?

User avatar
SplitMyPants
Posts: 1395
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:22 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby SplitMyPants » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:33 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
SplitMyPants wrote:
Theopliske8711 wrote:
kershka wrote:Yeah. Me too. Does anyone know if NYU is typically generous with negotiations?


Probably depends on what you have to negotiate. My friend was fairly successful with negotiating between Columbia and NYU.


I read somewhere else on TLS that Columbia and NYU rarely negotiate with offers from the other.


I don't think this is necessarily true based on what I have read from last year's thread.


Good to know, thanks.

User avatar
cotiger
Posts: 1648
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:49 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby cotiger » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:00 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
SplitMyPants wrote:
Theopliske8711 wrote:Probably depends on what you have to negotiate. My friend was fairly successful with negotiating between Columbia and NYU.


I read somewhere else on TLS that Columbia and NYU rarely negotiate with offers from the other.


I don't think this is necessarily true based on what I have read from last year's thread.


NYU and Columbia are pretty much the definition of peer schools. I would think that they, more than any schools this side of UCLA/USC, would be fiercely competing with each other for students.

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby lawschool22 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:06 pm

cotiger wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:
SplitMyPants wrote:
Theopliske8711 wrote:Probably depends on what you have to negotiate. My friend was fairly successful with negotiating between Columbia and NYU.


I read somewhere else on TLS that Columbia and NYU rarely negotiate with offers from the other.


I don't think this is necessarily true based on what I have read from last year's thread.


NYU and Columbia are pretty much the definition of peer schools. I would think that they, more than any schools this side of UCLA/USC, would be fiercely competing with each other for students.


+1

User avatar
Jessasaurus
Posts: 289
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:02 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby Jessasaurus » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:25 pm

Just RSVP'd for the March 6-7 ASW! Anyone else going to that one?

User avatar
admiringatticus
Posts: 145
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:51 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby admiringatticus » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:32 pm

How do you apply for merit aid only? I sent them an email asking if I could do that and they sent me back the instructions for the Need Access form.

Theopliske8711
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:21 am

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby Theopliske8711 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:33 pm

admiringatticus wrote:How do you apply for merit aid only? I sent them an email asking if I could do that and they sent me back the instructions for the Need Access form.


https://faaps.law.nyu.edu/studentmain.html

User avatar
admiringatticus
Posts: 145
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:51 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby admiringatticus » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:49 pm

Theopliske8711 wrote:
admiringatticus wrote:How do you apply for merit aid only? I sent them an email asking if I could do that and they sent me back the instructions for the Need Access form.


https://faaps.law.nyu.edu/studentmain.html


Sorry for my ignorance but when I go to that website and click on "My application" there is a window that pops up with instructions on Need Access. What am I supposed to be filling out on that website?

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby lawschool22 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:50 pm

admiringatticus wrote:
Theopliske8711 wrote:
admiringatticus wrote:How do you apply for merit aid only? I sent them an email asking if I could do that and they sent me back the instructions for the Need Access form.


https://faaps.law.nyu.edu/studentmain.html


Sorry for my ignorance but when I go to that website and click on "My application" there is a window that pops up with instructions on Need Access. What am I supposed to be filling out on that website?


You need to tell them (maybe your first email wasn't clear?) that you want to apply merit-only. They will then activate the merit application on the FAAPS site that was linked. Otherwise it will not appear.

User avatar
admiringatticus
Posts: 145
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:51 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby admiringatticus » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:02 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
admiringatticus wrote:
Theopliske8711 wrote:
admiringatticus wrote:How do you apply for merit aid only? I sent them an email asking if I could do that and they sent me back the instructions for the Need Access form.


https://faaps.law.nyu.edu/studentmain.html


Sorry for my ignorance but when I go to that website and click on "My application" there is a window that pops up with instructions on Need Access. What am I supposed to be filling out on that website?


You need to tell them (maybe your first email wasn't clear?) that you want to apply merit-only. They will then activate the merit application on the FAAPS site that was linked. Otherwise it will not appear.


Ok, thank you! Off to send them another email.

User avatar
milkandcheerios
Posts: 295
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:58 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby milkandcheerios » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:17 am

so I finally got the merit only application.

I'm trying to decided if I should hold off on submitting it out until I get decisions back from more schools since there's a question that asks about what other schools I have been accepted into that I'm seriously considering. I feel like I'm being overly neurotic here and I should just turn the thing in ASAP but it would just feel nice to have some leverage :?

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby lawschool22 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:54 am

milkandcheerios wrote:so I finally got the merit only application.

I'm trying to decided if I should hold off on submitting it out until I get decisions back from more schools since there's a question that asks about what other schools I have been accepted into that I'm seriously considering. I feel like I'm being overly neurotic here and I should just turn the thing in ASAP but it would just feel nice to have some leverage :?


I think getting it in sooner to allow yourself more time to appeal the first offer would be better. The deadline for accepting is April 4, and even if you submit now you probably won't get your offer until the end of February or early March. That only gives you a few weeks to negotiate as it is. If you do get into other schools and get offers, you could then use that as leverage in your second round of negotiations.

User avatar
nothingtosee
Posts: 865
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 12:08 am

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby nothingtosee » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:20 am

If I go merit only, and then try to negotiate, do you think they'll be all "Well you can't really need the money if you didn't apply for need-based?"

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby lawschool22 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:29 am

nothingtosee wrote:If I go merit only, and then try to negotiate, do you think they'll be all "Well you can't really need the money if you didn't apply for need-based?"


No I don't think so. They know why we're negotiating, because we have other offers and are trying to make the most out of them. If they didn't think they were competing for us, they wouldn't offer any merit aid in the first place, I don't think. From what I have read/heard, they expect a certain portion of people to negotiate and have this built into their aid budgets. You can tell they expect this, because when you email them to negotiate, they refer you back to the online form, where they add a new "Appeal" tab for you to explain your reasoning and upload any supporting docs. So the fact that it is built into their online system makes me think it is expected.

User avatar
nothingtosee
Posts: 865
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 12:08 am

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby nothingtosee » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:35 am

lawschool22 wrote:
nothingtosee wrote:If I go merit only, and then try to negotiate, do you think they'll be all "Well you can't really need the money if you didn't apply for need-based?"


No I don't think so. They know why we're negotiating, because we have other offers and are trying to make the most out of them. If they didn't think they were competing for us, they wouldn't offer any merit aid in the first place, I don't think. From what I have read/heard, they expect a certain portion of people to negotiate and have this built into their aid budgets. You can tell they expect this, because when you email them to negotiate, they refer you back to the online form, where they add a new "Appeal" tab for you to explain your reasoning and upload any supporting docs. So the fact that it is built into their online system makes me think it is expected.


Good answer.

User avatar
midwest17
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:27 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby midwest17 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:18 am

LS22: given that it sounds like they low balled you, do you think there's any chance that the merit-only strategy backfired?

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby lawschool22 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:25 am

midwest17 wrote:LS22: given that it sounds like they low balled you, do you think there's any chance that the merit-only strategy backfired?


Honestly there's no way of knowing. I just know I would have received zero need-based aid if they had incorporated my parent's assets into the equation.

I did provide my own personal financial info, which they require if you want to be eligible for LRAP. Since I work full-time and am probably personally doing better financially than their average applicant, that may have played a role.

I also think they are probably expecting people to negotiate more and more these days as applicants become informed about that as a strategy, and perhaps that is factoring into it as well.

If I can get them to increase it by $25k I'll be pleased, and I don't think that's outside the realm of possibility.

ETA: Don't quote, I'll probably be deleting this soon.

User avatar
ShrimpToastMasters
Posts: 411
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:47 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby ShrimpToastMasters » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:54 pm

Congrats all new admits!

Also, IILJ finalist e-mails are going out!

politics89
Posts: 377
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:50 am

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby politics89 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:55 pm

ShrimpToastMasters wrote:Congrats all new admits!

Also, IILJ finalist e-mails are going out!


IILJ?

User avatar
ShrimpToastMasters
Posts: 411
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:47 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby ShrimpToastMasters » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:56 pm

politics89 wrote:
ShrimpToastMasters wrote:Congrats all new admits!

Also, IILJ finalist e-mails are going out!


IILJ?


Institute for International Law and Justice

politics89
Posts: 377
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:50 am

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby politics89 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:57 pm

ShrimpToastMasters wrote:
politics89 wrote:
ShrimpToastMasters wrote:Congrats all new admits!

Also, IILJ finalist e-mails are going out!


IILJ?


Institute for International Law and Justice


Thank you :)

User avatar
Howl
Posts: 293
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:11 am

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby Howl » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:58 pm

ShrimpToastMasters wrote:
politics89 wrote:
ShrimpToastMasters wrote:Congrats all new admits!

Also, IILJ finalist e-mails are going out!


IILJ?


Institute for International Law and Justice


Hi! Congrats and I was SO excited to see this e-mail in my inbox as well!

User avatar
Quest4Knowledge
Posts: 293
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:36 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby Quest4Knowledge » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:01 pm

Ahh so excited - my first T14 acceptance!

I'll be reading through the thread to see what questions have been answered because I definitely have a bunch, congrats to everyone else!

User avatar
hellomellow
Posts: 227
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:35 am

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby hellomellow » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:18 pm

Just got in! Hello :) does anyone know anything about stipends for ASW?




Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest