NYU Class of 2017 - We are real 1Ls now

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
neprep

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby neprep » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:35 am

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but once you fill out the Need Access form (which goes live 1/1/14), that info is basically the same for all schools, right?

So if I fill it out for Duke, I can send that along to NYU? I anticipate minor changes between Need Access forms for different schools, but hoping that a majority of those fields are common between the forms.

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:38 am

neprep wrote:Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but once you fill out the Need Access form (which goes live 1/1/14), that info is basically the same for all schools, right?

So if I fill it out for Duke, I can send that along to NYU? I anticipate minor changes between Need Access forms for different schools, but hoping that a majority of those fields are common between the forms.

By need access are your referring to the FAFSA? Or do schools actually have separate forms for need based aid? I haven't looked into this at all yet so I'm curious :)

neprep

Postby neprep » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:43 am

lawschool22 wrote:
neprep wrote:Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but once you fill out the Need Access form (which goes live 1/1/14), that info is basically the same for all schools, right?

By need access are your referring to the FAFSA? Or do schools actually have separate forms for need based aid? I haven't looked into this at all yet so I'm curious :)

No, Need Access is distinct from FAFSA. Check our that latest email from Duke, LS22 :). I think NYU has basically the same info in its admitted students page, as Duke has in that letter, but I'm waiting for that official letter to see what their go-ahead directions are on applying for aid.

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:13 am

neprep wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:

No, Need Access is distinct from FAFSA. Check our that latest email from Duke, LS22 :). I think NYU has basically the same info in its admitted students page, as Duke has in that letter, but I'm waiting for that official letter to see what their go-ahead directions are on applying for aid.

Haha thanks for calling out my laziness :). And thanks for the info! Off to check out the Duke email.

Nooblarzlarz

Postby Nooblarzlarz » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:17 pm

I think the Need Access forms are either the same or very similar. Once you set up your login, there's a place where you can add all the schools that you need the information to go to. It seems that some schools may need additional info/forms filled out on the Need Access website. Duke Law is not currently listed as an option (which I presume will become available 1/1/14). Currently, they have options for all of the T14 except for Harvard and Duke (although I'm not sure if Harvard even uses Need Access).

fivestarfolds

Postby fivestarfolds » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:36 pm

I've never been to an Admitted Students Day. Do schools offer any financial support for attending these things?

neprep

Postby neprep » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:22 am

Nooblarzlarz wrote:I think the Need Access forms are either the same or very similar. Once you set up your login, there's a place where you can add all the schools that you need the information to go to. It seems that some schools may need additional info/forms filled out on the Need Access website. Duke Law is not currently listed as an option (which I presume will become available 1/1/14). Currently, they have options for all of the T14 except for Harvard and Duke (although I'm not sure if Harvard even uses Need Access).

I saw that too…but those schools that are currently on there, do you think those might be applications for the current year and not 14-15? Every school is pretty clear that apps for new matrics will only be available on 1/1.

twobitrye

Postby twobitrye » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:47 pm

Can't believe I get to check in here, but here I am. Thank you smaller applicant pool.

Thanks to everyone providing housing suggestions. As another midwesterner, apartment hunting in NYC is a daunting process. In general, how much would you budget for a one bedroom apartment in these neighborhoods that have been mentioned? I'm looking up the info online too, but I'm curious what numbers you all would ballpark.

Nooblarzlarz

Postby Nooblarzlarz » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:28 pm

neprep wrote:
I saw that too…but those schools that are currently on there, do you think those might be applications for the current year and not 14-15? Every school is pretty clear that apps for new matrics will only be available on 1/1.

Yeah it seems for Duke & NYU, at least, it's 1/1, and so I'm guessing NYU and all the other schools listed are from the previous cycle.

ifiknew

Postby ifiknew » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:27 pm

Random question for family housing, sorry if not the right forum. I've searched and couldn't find this. My fiancé will be working in NYC, if I clerked outside of NYC, in the summers, would she still be able to live there without me? Would we have to move to a different unit every year (if we wanted to live there after the first year)? Congratulations again to all admitted!!

cotiger

Postby cotiger » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:12 pm

ifiknew wrote:Random question for family housing, sorry if not the right forum. I've searched and couldn't find this. My fiancé will be working in NYC, if I clerked outside of NYC, in the summers, would she still be able to live there without me? Would we have to move to a different unit every year (if we wanted to live there after the first year)? Congratulations again to all admitted!!

I glanced at it, and it looks like you have to apply for each year separately. Summer is separate as well. This would indicate to me that if you're not in NYC over the summer, your fiance would not be able to get NYU housing on her own.

The website was kind of confusing, so this may not be correct. The email address is law.reslife@nyu.edu

Honestly, I think you would be better served just getting your own place. Cheaper and less hassle.

cotiger

Postby cotiger » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:03 pm

twobitrye wrote:Can't believe I get to check in here, but here I am. Thank you smaller applicant pool.

Thanks to everyone providing housing suggestions. As another midwesterner, apartment hunting in NYC is a daunting process. In general, how much would you budget for a one bedroom apartment in these neighborhoods that have been mentioned? I'm looking up the info online too, but I'm curious what numbers you all would ballpark.

A one bedroom in NYC is super expensive, especially on a student's budget. I know people in IB and other high-paying jobs, and even they share apartments with multiple people. Only one friend of mine lives alone, and he pays $1250/mo for a studio off of the Montrose L stop in Williamsburg (~30 min from NYU).

Generally, the cost of housing goes (from most expensive to least) Greenwich Village>Midtown>East Village>LES/Brooklyn.

A quick glance at Craigslist shows basically a minimum of $2000/mo for a 1BR in Alphabet City, which is the cheaper, less convenient part of the East Village.

My friends at NYU generally paid around 1300-1400/mo/room for 2-3BR in the heart of the East Village. That was a couple of years ago, though, so it may have gone up a little since then.

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:57 pm

I got my letter yesterday. It had a very nice handwritten personalized note mentioning my PS topic and work experience - what a nice touch!

barrelofmonkeys

Postby barrelofmonkeys » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:36 am

I HAVE NOT CHECKED IN HERE YET.
#NYULS2017

cotiger

Postby cotiger » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:01 pm

Here's a list of some of my friends' places that I know the rent for, along with their distances to NYU Law:

1450/mo for a small 2BR in the East Village (15 min walk, 7 min bike ride, or I guess 12 min taking the subway if you're particularly lazy)

1200/mo for a small 2BR in the Lower East Side (15 min bike ride or 12 min taking the subway)

900/mo for a small 3BR in South Side Williamsburg (25 min taking the subway)

775/mo for a large 3BR in the cool part of Bushwick (30 min taking the subway)

Also, be aware that if you're taking the train, you need to add ~5 min to the listed time to account for waiting time. As you can see, the further away you get, the cheaper it is.

almondjoy

Postby almondjoy » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:02 am

Checking In!! I know this has been said a bunch already but congrats everyone! NYU was the first school I've heard back from so I'm super excited :D

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:21 am

cotiger wrote:Here's a list of some of my friends' places that I know the rent for, along with their distances to NYU Law:

1450/mo for a small 2BR in the East Village (15 min walk, 7 min bike ride, or I guess 12 min taking the subway if you're particularly lazy)

1200/mo for a small 2BR in the Lower East Side (15 min bike ride or 12 min taking the subway)

Also, be aware that if you're taking the train, you need to add ~5 min to the listed time to account for waiting time. As you can see, the further away you get, the cheaper it is.

I assume your friends have roommates and these these prices are per person?

cotiger

Postby cotiger » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:46 am

lawschool22 wrote:
cotiger wrote:Here's a list of some of my friends' places that I know the rent for, along with their distances to NYU Law:

I assume your friends have roommates and these these prices are per person?

Yep.

tls2175

Postby tls2175 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:14 pm

Hey guys, I don't know if anyone might know or if I should just contact people at the different law schools I applied to but... my financial situation just underwent a significant change and I will need financial aid as soon as I start law school. I thought I was going to be able to get by without the aid or loans for a little while, just live frugally and graduate without too much debt, but that is clearly no longer the case. Do you think that I can still apply for need based financial aid even if I already indicated I wouldn't be doing so on the apps? :cry:

Blerg

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:15 pm

tls2175 wrote:Hey guys, I don't know if anyone might know or if I should just contact people at the different law schools I applied to but... my financial situation just underwent a significant change and I will need financial aid as soon as I start law school. I thought I was going to be able to get by without the aid or loans for a little while, just live frugally and graduate without too much debt, but that is clearly no longer the case. Do you think that I can still apply for need based financial aid even if I already indicated I wouldn't be doing so on the apps? :cry:

Blerg

I don't think it will really matter. The financial aid process is usually separate that you will go through once accepted.

tls2175

Postby tls2175 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:47 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
tls2175 wrote:Hey guys, I don't know if anyone might know or if I should just contact people at the different law schools I applied to but... my financial situation just underwent a significant change and I will need financial aid as soon as I start law school. I thought I was going to be able to get by without the aid or loans for a little while, just live frugally and graduate without too much debt, but that is clearly no longer the case. Do you think that I can still apply for need based financial aid even if I already indicated I wouldn't be doing so on the apps? :cry:

Blerg

I don't think it will really matter. The financial aid process is usually separate that you will go through once accepted.

Thanks. Hope that's right. I'm hoping that my law school plans in general are not in jeopardy because of this development. I think I will get a better idea of what I will and won't be able to do over the next few weeks.

jdapplicant

Postby jdapplicant » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:35 pm

Checking in! My undergrad is in a college town so I'm a noob when it comes to looking for housing in a big city. When is a good time to look for housing? I plan on coming to town for 5-7 days to look for apartments and check out the area. Unfortunately I don't think I will be able to go to NYC to look for housing until February or so.

cotiger

Postby cotiger » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:15 pm

jdapplicant wrote:Checking in! My undergrad is in a college town so I'm a noob when it comes to looking for housing in a big city. When is a good time to look for housing? I plan on coming to town for 5-7 days to look for apartments and check out the area. Unfortunately I don't think I will be able to go to NYC to look for housing until February or so.

You're not going to be able to set something up 6 months in advance. My advice would be to get into town a month early, sublet a place for a month, and scout out apartments then.

Nooblarzlarz

Postby Nooblarzlarz » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:29 pm

I read somewhere on the NYU site (although now I can't find it, of course) that 2/3 of 1Ls spend their first year in the NYU dorms. Is that correct? Are there any glaring advantages or disadvantages to doing so?

cotiger

Postby cotiger » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:50 pm

Nooblarzlarz wrote:I read somewhere on the NYU site (although now I can't find it, of course) that 2/3 of 1Ls spend their first year in the NYU dorms. Is that correct? Are there any glaring advantages or disadvantages to doing so?

The big advantage is that you don't have to look for housing on your own. The major drawbacks are that it's going to be more expensive relative to other housing you might find, and you have to deal with NYU housing, including hassles/insults to your adulthood such as having to go to the office to get a guest pass for overnight visitors and having to sleep in a twin size bed.

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”