NYU Class of 2017 - Basically graduated Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
SplitMyPants

Gold

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Post by SplitMyPants » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:21 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:
SplitMyPants wrote:
esther0123 wrote:Thanks! Although I will receive no parental contribution, but my savings are 25K+. Would you recommend I go through merit-only route?
I am not at all qualified to answer that, honestly. You should check out that EFC calculator, look at LS22's comments regarding the ~$10k estimate, take it with a grain of salt (as it is anecdotal), and do what you think is best.
+1 to this.

Though since it is ls22 we are talking about, it should be one of those big sea-salt sized grains.
Definitely sea-salt size. I heeded his advice, for one.

paglababa

Silver

Post by paglababa » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:24 pm

esther0123 wrote:Thanks! Although I will receive no parental contribution, but my savings are 25K+. Would you recommend I go through merit-only route?
How would one verify savings? Looking at account details over the course of a long period of time? What if one were to simply stuff cash under their mattress. Not that I'm condoning this, nor that I have that kind of money. I've always just wondered :D

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:36 pm

paglababa wrote:
How would one verify savings? Looking at account details over the course of a long period of time? What if one were to simply stuff cash under their mattress. Not that I'm condoning this, nor that I have that kind of money. I've always just wondered :D
:lol: Like Dallas Buyers Club? Just have shit hidden all through your house.

waferthinmint

Bronze

Post by waferthinmint » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:54 pm

welp. as if i needed any more reason to like nyu... apparently i will be living just blocks away from leonardo dicaprio should i matriculate at this fine institution and use their student housing.

--ImageRemoved--
--LinkRemoved--

waferthinmint

Bronze

Post by waferthinmint » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:03 pm

Has anyone here attended one of the NYU admitted students + alumni receptions? Any insight onto what to expect? How is the one-hour casual meeting with just Dean Morrison and admitted students before the reception? Should I prep anything?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

milkandcheerios

Bronze

Post by milkandcheerios » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:54 am

I just got back from the LA reception. It's a pretty informal setting, most people are dressed business casual with a couple who were in suits. There were probably about 20ish admitted students and a bunch of alum (wayyyy more than the admits).

Basically for the first hour, you sit and the dean talks at you and there's opportunity for questions but I think only 2 people asked anything. The next two hours involved mingling which was actually kinda awkward because it was a pretty small space and it was absolutely crowded and a lot of the alum seemed to want to talk to each-other rather than the admitted students. I swear its like an episode of the bachelor, you have to be really assertive if you really want to have a conversation or else you're left standing around awkwardly.

my thoughts:
The dean sure can talk. he just goes on and on but he's not particularly captivating and he repeats himself a lot. I honestly spaced out for a lot of it.

There were a lot of subtle-yet-not-so-subtle digs at other schools, particularly CLS and Chicago, which kinda of just left a bad taste in my mouth. I'd have a lot more respect if you could recruit without putting down your peer schools.

free drinks!

waferthinmint

Bronze

Post by waferthinmint » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:48 am

milkandcheerios wrote:I just got back from the LA reception. It's a pretty informal setting, most people are dressed business casual with a couple who were in suits. There were probably about 20ish admitted students and a bunch of alum (wayyyy more than the admits).

Basically for the first hour, you sit and the dean talks at you and there's opportunity for questions but I think only 2 people asked anything. The next two hours involved mingling which was actually kinda awkward because it was a pretty small space and it was absolutely crowded and a lot of the alum seemed to want to talk to each-other rather than the admitted students. I swear its like an episode of the bachelor, you have to be really assertive if you really want to have a conversation or else you're left standing around awkwardly.

my thoughts:
The dean sure can talk. he just goes on and on but he's not particularly captivating and he repeats himself a lot. I honestly spaced out for a lot of it.

There were a lot of subtle-yet-not-so-subtle digs at other schools, particularly CLS and Chicago, which kinda of just left a bad taste in my mouth. I'd have a lot more respect if you could recruit without putting down your peer schools.

free drinks!
Haha you don't say! I was just at the LA reception tonight too! Those questions were in a last-minute prep for tonight (which was highly unnecessary as it was very laid back and the Dean is super personable haha). But I appreciate your answers!

Honestly, I really enjoyed the evening and got to talk to some great alum who seemed very interested in talking to me and other admits, including probably the sweetest Biglaw litigator I have ever met, and a guy who went to my high school. I agree that there were some who just came to meet the new dean and other alum though, and I don't really blame them for not wanting to Field Law School 101 questions from a bunch of newbs lol. Like any meet and greet or networking event, it's a mixed bag, and you just need to know how to turn a crowded, loud room into an enjoyable time and find the interesting people to talk to. Good practice for law school, I'd say. But yeah I can see how it could feel like the Bachelor. Gotta love dat small talk.

I did notice the jabs at other schools, but I think they were from the alum and not the dean himself - he's too pc to do something like that. Dean Morrison is a great guy who's had an awesome run of jobs, and was a well-favored teacher while at CLS; not surprisingly, I found him a dynamic and interesting speaker and very easy to talk to. In general I heard from the other alum that the deans preceding him were also very down-to-earth guys who would grab dinner with students and stuff.

The catering was solid; good wine too.

And... I felt bad for the nyu peeps when no one seemed to have questions... so I may or may not have been one of those two question askers you speak of. Lol.

milkandcheerios

Bronze

Post by milkandcheerios » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:59 am

oh I agree that the conversations were definitely hit or miss. Some of the older alums were kinda hard to talk to and they weren't trying very hard to "sell" NYU but I had some great convos with the younger more recent graduates. I'm also not the greatest at small talk so that's probably why it was a little awkward for me.

The dean this seem to insinuate that Chicago has a really ugly campus. I really want to see this for myself now because chicago would definitely top my list if i got accepted.

haha well thanks for the question! I'm glad people asked about NYU's "weaknesses" and I really liked the deans answers although I still feel like he rambled a lot :)

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:24 am

milkandcheerios wrote:oh I agree that the conversations were definitely hit or miss. Some of the older alums were kinda hard to talk to and they weren't trying very hard to "sell" NYU but I had some great convos with the younger more recent graduates. I'm also not the greatest at small talk so that's probably why it was a little awkward for me.

The dean this seem to insinuate that Chicago has a really ugly campus. I really want to see this for myself now because chicago would definitely top my list if i got accepted.

haha well thanks for the question! I'm glad people asked about NYU's "weaknesses" and I really liked the deans answers although I still feel like he rambled a lot :)
What did he say the weaknesses were?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

milkandcheerios

Bronze

Post by milkandcheerios » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:30 am

Max324 wrote: What did he say the weaknesses were?
Oh I meant that admitted students asked about NYU's weaknesses (in my eyes at least).

There was a question about placement into the government/DOJ and about placement into clerkships/academia which are definitely not things that NYU are known for (correct me if i'm wrong, I hope i'm not totally uninformed here)

Dean Morrison said that he had a lot of connections in DC that he uses to the advantage of NYU students and that people from NYU do get good government jobs.

He also said that last year, NYU's placement in academia was in the top 3. I would really like to know where these stats come from because it seems hard to believe but there's no way he would lie to us.

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:33 am

milkandcheerios wrote:He also said that last year, NYU's placement in academia was in the top 3.
Wow, that's fantastic! Academia has been on my radar (although almost certainly a pipe dream).

riverwater

Bronze

Post by riverwater » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:41 am

Max324 wrote:
milkandcheerios wrote:He also said that last year, NYU's placement in academia was in the top 3.
Wow, that's fantastic! Academia has been on my radar (although almost certainly a pipe dream).
Same here. I wonder which school NYU beat out.

cway

Bronze

Post by cway » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:13 am

milkandcheerios wrote:oh I agree that the conversations were definitely hit or miss. Some of the older alums were kinda hard to talk to and they weren't trying very hard to "sell" NYU but I had some great convos with the younger more recent graduates. I'm also not the greatest at small talk so that's probably why it was a little awkward for me.

Not to totally derail this thread, but I spent a summer at UChicago and actually found the campus quite beautiful. The problem is that if you venture beyond the campus borders, you're in the (actual) murder capital. I wanted to go look at the law school and my friends in Chicago wouldn't even go with me unless we took a car... Great school, unfortunate location. HTH!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cway

Bronze

Post by cway » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:20 am

Esther -- they actually don't care whether or not you're receiving parental contribution, it's based purely on age. (GIANT sigh. worst policy ever.) So if you're under 29, they're going to count both parents' income, even if they're divorced, even if there's a divorce agreement stating only one of them pays for school, etc etc.

The only number I've seen (someone definitely correct me if I'm wrong) is that you're extremely unlikely to qualify for any need-based aid if you, parent 1, and parent 2 have a combined income of $180k or above. Oh, and they count household assets too...

I'm skipping and going for merit-only. That Need Access form is no joke.

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:17 am

cway wrote:
Esther -- they actually don't care whether or not you're receiving parental contribution, it's based purely on age. (GIANT sigh. worst policy ever.) So if you're under 29, they're going to count both parents' income, even if they're divorced, even if there's a divorce agreement stating only one of them pays for school, etc etc.

The only number I've seen (someone definitely correct me if I'm wrong) is that you're extremely unlikely to qualify for any need-based aid if you, parent 1, and parent 2 have a combined income of $180k or above. Oh, and they count household assets too...

I'm skipping and going for merit-only. That Need Access form is no joke.
I used to think that the inclusion of parent data even if they weren't contributing was bad, but as I thought about it I decided it makes sense.

How could they confirm that your parent wasn't going to support you? And even if they didn't plan to support you, there is a sort of implicit guarantee and safety net that exists for someone who has parents bringing in $250k/year, that doesn't exist for someone who's parents are broke.

If your parents didn't help you in law school, but they are worth a few million and you get into trouble, there's more likelihood they would help you out. A low-income family doesn't have that option.

milkandcheerios

Bronze

Post by milkandcheerios » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:34 pm

Max324 wrote: Wow, that's fantastic! Academia has been on my radar (although almost certainly a pipe dream).

t14splitter

Bronze

Post by t14splitter » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:33 pm

Did anyone else just receive scholarship info? Mine was a bit disappointing...

Edit: Does anyone know how much they stick to the April 4th deadline of enrolling to receive aid?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

koalacity

Silver

Post by koalacity » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:39 pm

t14splitter wrote:Did anyone else just receive scholarship info? Mine was a bit disappointing...

Edit: Does anyone know how much they stick to the April 4th deadline of enrolling to receive aid?
How did you receive your aid notification, if you don't mind me asking?

eta: and did you apply for both merit and need or merit-only?

metroidbum

Silver

Post by metroidbum » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:02 pm

Got an aid offer. I like it well enough, strange that the amount drops the third year

mylifeis24

Bronze

Post by mylifeis24 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:29 pm

metroidbum wrote:Got an aid offer. I like it well enough, strange that the amount drops the third year
Merit aid only application or need and merit? Did they email it to you?

metroidbum

Silver

Post by metroidbum » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:54 pm

mylifeis24 wrote:
metroidbum wrote:Got an aid offer. I like it well enough, strange that the amount drops the third year
Merit. Got an email notification to log in to the NYU Law financial aid site. Letter itself was a PDF accessed on that site.

Also, I have to say that I am for sure going to NYU by April 4th in order to be able to use the scholly.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

gta

Bronze

Post by gta » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:07 pm

metroidbum wrote:
mylifeis24 wrote:
Merit. Got an email notification to log in to the NYU Law financial aid site. Letter itself was a PDF accessed on that site.

Also, I have to say that I am for sure going to NYU by April 4th in order to be able to use the scholly.
That's really unfortunate, considering that I was planning to attend the ASW on April 10-11.

t14splitter

Bronze

Post by t14splitter » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:47 pm

As metroid said, got an email notification and a link to view it online.

Mine was for both Merit and Need, although I'd be very surprised if any of it actually came from need.

I'm in a unique situation where I probably won't know by April 4 whether I can enroll, so that may end up pushing me to Columbia if that's a hard deadline.

riverwater

Bronze

Post by riverwater » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:09 am

Last edited by riverwater on Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

jdapplicant

Bronze

Post by jdapplicant » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:15 pm

How long ago did people who received scholly info submit the Need Access?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”