NYU Class of 2017 - Basically graduated Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
milkandcheerios

Bronze

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Post by milkandcheerios » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:13 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
milkandcheerios wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:
In talking to current students I have heard of a few instances with nearly identical students who received different merit awards (no need based aid) with the only difference being their EFC. I think it's unlikely enough that you'll get need based aid that unless you're in a pretty low-income type situation it's more risk that reward if you do need access vs merit only.
are you trying to say that a high EFC could mean less merit aid? If my parent's income is in the ballpark of $200k, should I not even bother with Need Access and FAFSA? Could it hurt me if i turned them in? Financial aid/merit aid is so confusing...ugh.
Yeah that's what I'm saying, and it makes sense from an intuitive standpoint. Merit aid just means less to most people if they are going to receive support from their parents. I would still go through and fill out the FAFSA (don't submit yet) and if your EFC is around $10k or below, then you could probably submit NeedAccess. But if it's above that I wouldn't bother.

Now please note that this is not based on hard evidence or data, just from information I have learned from talking w/ current NYU students.

even though it isn't hard evidence, given my parents income, I probably wouldn't get any need based aid anyways huh? I never used to get any aid in undergrad so I never even bothered filling out my fafasa in the past, and from what I understand, law school give even less need based aid right?

Also, what's the difference between fafsa and need access?

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:14 pm

Finally making some progress on the financial side of things, happy to report I came in under ls22's EFC cutoff :lol:

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:17 pm

milkandcheerios wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:
milkandcheerios wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:
In talking to current students I have heard of a few instances with nearly identical students who received different merit awards (no need based aid) with the only difference being their EFC. I think it's unlikely enough that you'll get need based aid that unless you're in a pretty low-income type situation it's more risk that reward if you do need access vs merit only.
are you trying to say that a high EFC could mean less merit aid? If my parent's income is in the ballpark of $200k, should I not even bother with Need Access and FAFSA? Could it hurt me if i turned them in? Financial aid/merit aid is so confusing...ugh.
Yeah that's what I'm saying, and it makes sense from an intuitive standpoint. Merit aid just means less to most people if they are going to receive support from their parents. I would still go through and fill out the FAFSA (don't submit yet) and if your EFC is around $10k or below, then you could probably submit NeedAccess. But if it's above that I wouldn't bother.

Now please note that this is not based on hard evidence or data, just from information I have learned from talking w/ current NYU students.

even though it isn't hard evidence, given my parents income, I probably wouldn't get any need based aid anyways huh? I never used to get any aid in undergrad so I never even bothered filling out my fafasa in the past, and from what I understand, law school give even less need based aid right?

Also, what's the difference between fafsa and need access?
NeedAccess is a separate, more detailed form that NYU and other schools require you to submit for need-based aid. It is not affiliated w/ the government. If you don't apply for need-based aid it is not required. The FAFSA is required to borrow federal loans, but you don't have to submit it until after your merit aid offer is nailed down.

loveduck

New

Post by loveduck » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:34 pm

milkandcheerios wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:
Checking in! This thread has been super helpful.

I'm an international so I won't be able to apply (or estimate a family contribution) for FAFSA. What sort of parental income, approximately, would lead to a EFC of more than $10000? 100k? 150k?

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:36 pm

loveduck wrote:
milkandcheerios wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:
Checking in! This thread has been super helpful.

I'm an international so I won't be able to apply (or estimate a family contribution) for FAFSA. What sort of parental income, approximately, would lead to a EFC of more than $10000? 100k? 150k?
Try messing around with this: https://fafsa.ed.gov/FAFSA/app/f4cForm?execution=e1s1

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Arrow4Christ

Bronze

Post by Arrow4Christ » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:38 pm

I'm torn about how I should approach financial aid with NYU. My EFC will be very low (probably 0), but my numbers are above both 75ths. I don't want to compromise the merit aid I may receive :?

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:39 pm

Arrow4Christ wrote:I'm torn about how I should approach financial aid with NYU. My EFC will be very low (probably 0), but my numbers are above both 75ths. I don't want to compromise the merit aid I may receive :?
I don't think you will with a low EFC.

jdapplicant

Bronze

Post by jdapplicant » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:16 pm

residentemma wrote:Hey guys... this is probably a really dumb question, but when I submitted my FAFSA, I couldn't find a New York University School of Law listed, so I just put New York University. Did I do it correctly, or do I need to add something else?
Yes, you did it correctly. In the email NYU Law sent out about applying for aid, they gave the same school code as NYU undergrad: school code 002785.

kitkat288

New

Post by kitkat288 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:49 pm

Did everyone have a little personalized note on their acceptance letter?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:19 pm

kitkat288 wrote:Did everyone have a little personalized note on their acceptance letter?
I think so, yeah.

milkandcheerios

Bronze

Post by milkandcheerios » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:20 pm

kitkat288 wrote:Did everyone have a little personalized note on their acceptance letter?
yup. Mine had a typo on it...or errr a misspelling. I don't know if hand written mistakes are considered typos.

milkandcheerios

Bronze

Post by milkandcheerios » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:21 pm

also....about FAFSA, since it doesn't require parents information, won't I get a deceptively low EFC?

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:00 am

milkandcheerios wrote:also....about FAFSA, since it doesn't require parents information, won't I get a deceptively low EFC?
Yes, which is the purpose of Need Access. The EFC w/ your parents info is just standard metric by which to determine if Need Access w/ your parent's info would even help you at all. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Chrysogonus

New

Post by Chrysogonus » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:21 am

lawschool22 wrote:
milkandcheerios wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:

Let's say that my EFC for myself and my wife is around 8k. Doing Need Access would add my parents, which would significantly raise the EFC (I imagine). Do you think it would probably make more sense just to email and ask for merit aid only?

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:23 am

Chrysogonus wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:
milkandcheerios wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:

Let's say that my EFC for myself and my wife is around 8k. Doing Need Access would add my parents, which would significantly raise the EFC (I imagine). Do you think it would probably make more sense just to email and ask for merit aid only?
Try filling out the FAFSA (without submitting) with estimated parental info and see what the EFC comes to.

politics89

Bronze

Post by politics89 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:25 am

Wait this is all confusing me. I thought we HAD to submit parental information on the FAFSA. Or is that just for people under 28?

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:34 am

politics89 wrote:Wait this is all confusing me. I thought we HAD to submit parental information on the FAFSA. Or is that just for people under 28?
As graduate/professional students we are considered independent on FAFSA and therefore are not required to include parental information, which is why schools use Need Access. The only school I've seen that doesn't adhere to this is Cornell, who requires parental info on FAFSA.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Chrysogonus

New

Post by Chrysogonus » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:36 am

lawschool22 wrote:
Chrysogonus wrote:
Try filling out the FAFSA (without submitting) with estimated parental info and see what the EFC comes to.
So, let's say my father makes $100k or so annually (of course none of which will go to me or my law school) and my mom around 60k. Without bothering to try and estimate the EFC while including my parents, you would think that probably its best for me to ask for merit aid only right?

politics89

Bronze

Post by politics89 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:37 am

SplitMyPants wrote:
politics89 wrote:Wait this is all confusing me. I thought we HAD to submit parental information on the FAFSA. Or is that just for people under 28?
As graduate/professional students we are considered independent on FAFSA and therefore are not required to include parental information, which is why schools use Need Access. The only school I've seen that doesn't adhere to this is Cornell, who requires parental info on FAFSA.
Ok so then what does it mean that parental contribution counts as lessening percentages as the students gets older? Ie drops to 75% at 27 or whatever it is.

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:56 am

All of these questions along the lines of "what will me EFC be if X" can be answered by estimating your EFC using this:

https://fafsa.ed.gov/FAFSA/app/f4cForm?execution=e1s1

Please try this before asking additional "What we my EFC be?" questions. :)

Chrysogonus

New

Post by Chrysogonus » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:06 pm

lawschool22 wrote:All of these questions along the lines of "what will me EFC be if X" can be answered by estimating your EFC using this:

Alright, so rough estimate bumps me up to about $20k efc. I'm guessing I definitely don't want to bother with need access then for schools that require parental info. Saves a lot of trouble, so thats nice at least.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

paglababa

Silver

Post by paglababa » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:32 pm

Anyone get anbryce invites yet?

gta

Bronze

Post by gta » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:52 pm

lawschool22 wrote:All of these questions along the lines of "what will me EFC be if X" can be answered by estimating your EFC using this:

Does the Need Access provide a separate EFC? My FAFSA's EFC is $0, so I was planning to apply for both need- and merit-based aid. However, the Need Access will likely look different for me as it includes my parents' financial situation. Is that the number that I should consider before deciding for which type of aid to apply?

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:11 pm

gta wrote:

Does the Need Access provide a separate EFC? My FAFSA's EFC is $0, so I was planning to apply for both need- and merit-based aid. However, the Need Access will likely look different for me as it includes my parents' financial situation. Is that the number that I should consider before deciding for which type of aid to apply?
Need Access doesn't provide an EFC. If you did not add your parent's info into the FAFSA calculator, you should do so, as that will be more reflective of how they will view your Need Access form.

I'm not saying to add your parent's info when you actually submit the FAFSA, but add it into the calculator I linked to, to see what it would be if they were included.

waferthinmint

Bronze

Post by waferthinmint » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:01 pm

midwest17 wrote:
milkandcheerios wrote:
sjgonzalez3 wrote: Considering going and bringing my SO. Can't decide if there will be any benefit to going worth the effort of LA traffic on Thursday. Not to mention the awkwardness if no other 2017's show up.
I didn't even consider that but that would be really awkward, especially because it's in somebody's house! Now I'm starting to have second thoughts. I wonder what the benefits would be other than a free meal... :?
Networking if you want to move back to LA after graduation? (Or even if you want to land a summer position in LA after your first year).
I'll be going! So, you can count on at least one other 2017 there. Granted, I also work in Santa Monica, so the LA Traffic isn't a deterrent for me.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”