NYU Class of 2017 - We are real 1Ls now

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
User avatar
cotiger
Posts: 1648
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:49 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby cotiger » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:59 am

lawschool22 wrote:
neprep wrote:I'm based in NYC, and have a place on the UWS. But I'm definitely thinking of moving further downtown, but we'll see how CLS works out first :wink:.


Where do most NYU Law students live? What are some of the neighborhoods I should target that are a good combo of price, convenience and quality?

I live in a super-low COL, but good-sized mid-west city, so going from my 1600 sq. ft. 3 level townhouse condo that I OWN for less than $800/month is going to be a BIG adjustment! :D :shock: Any help you can provide would be great haha.


I don't know specifically about NYU Law, but the majority of NYU undergrad students live in the areas mentioned in the poll. The other parts of downtown (Tribeca/Soho) are just waaaaay too expensive, and uptown is far away, expensive, and unexciting. Most NYU kids if they're going to live 25 minutes from school live in Brooklyn because it's cheaper, larger spaces, and a hipper environment.

My fav spot in Manhattan is the East Village. To live there, I'd probably choose Alphabet City because it's the cheaper, less hectic/more neighborhoody part of it. Doesn't have great transit links though.

User avatar
cotiger
Posts: 1648
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:49 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby cotiger » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:00 pm

lawschool22 wrote:What is the best way to find apartments in the city? Are there any websites you like to use or have had success using when searching?


Craigslist

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby lawschool22 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:01 pm

cotiger wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:
neprep wrote:I'm based in NYC, and have a place on the UWS. But I'm definitely thinking of moving further downtown, but we'll see how CLS works out first :wink:.


Where do most NYU Law students live? What are some of the neighborhoods I should target that are a good combo of price, convenience and quality?

I live in a super-low COL, but good-sized mid-west city, so going from my 1600 sq. ft. 3 level townhouse condo that I OWN for less than $800/month is going to be a BIG adjustment! :D :shock: Any help you can provide would be great haha.


I don't know specifically about NYU Law, but the majority of NYU undergrad students live in the areas mentioned in the poll. The other parts of downtown (Tribeca/Soho) are just waaaaay too expensive, and uptown is far away, expensive, and unexciting. Most NYU kids if they're going to live 25 minutes from school live in Brooklyn because it's cheaper, larger spaces, and a hipper environment.

My fav spot in Manhattan is the East Village. To live there, I'd probably choose Alphabet City because it's the cheaper, less hectic/more neighborhoody part of it. Doesn't have great transit links though.


Thanks for the info!

User avatar
jingosaur
Posts: 2195
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:33 am

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby jingosaur » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:04 pm

I hate Alphabet City/East Village as a place to live because the buildings are too old and public transit sucks, but the restaurants and bars are among my favorites.

When I lived in Murray Hill, I noticed a lot of NYU grad students, but I'm not sure how many of them were law students and I'm pretty sure that most of them were trust fund babies because Murray Hill isn't cheap.

User avatar
cotiger
Posts: 1648
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:49 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby cotiger » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:10 pm

jingosaur wrote:So NYU Law is easy to access if you're near the 123 trains or the L train (use Google Maps). The best combo of quality of life, cost, and accessability to NYU is probably in Williamsburg, which is in Brooklyn. It's 4-5 quick subway stops on the L train and an 8 block walk and it's still pretty cheap. If you're a hipster, you'll love it and there are tons of great spots in Williamsburg. The only problem is that the L train is the only feasible way of getting there and it only goes every 15-30 minutes after midnight so getting back home at night can suck.


ACE and BDFM for the W4 stop is right next to NYU Law, even closer than the 1 at Christopher or L at 14th. There's also the 6 and NR at Astor/NYU. But all of these trains are close. Really, anywhere that you live will have easy links to NYU because it's smack in the middle of the city.

If you're looking for cheaper options, the other Brooklyn area might be better. Williamsburg has gotten pretty expensive, not that much cheaper than the LES/Chinatown. Plus, the L is super annoying on the weekends, as they close it down fairly frequently and you have to use a shuttle.

jingosaur wrote:@LS22. Use streeteasy.com to find apartments. I actually found both of my NYC apartments on Craigslist, but streeteasy will gives you a better idea of how the neighborhoods work. Also, NYC brokers are literally the worst people in the world and watch out for scams.


NYC brokers are the WORST. LS22, my advice would be to get here a month early, sublet a place, and then use that time to scout out apartments yourself.

User avatar
jingosaur
Posts: 2195
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:33 am

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby jingosaur » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:34 pm

cotiger wrote:
NYC brokers are the WORST. LS22, my advice would be to get here a month early, sublet a place, and then use that time to scout out apartments yourself.


I agree. This is a great plan. I would never agree to move to an NYC apartment unless I knew the area a little bit and actually went to the apartment. The average apartment turnaround in NYC is around 3 days as in once a livable apartment is on the market, someone will probably put an application on it in 3 days or less. Being physically in NYC for this process will allow you to steal apartments from noobs.

User avatar
cotiger
Posts: 1648
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:49 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby cotiger » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:53 pm

jingosaur wrote:
cotiger wrote:
NYC brokers are the WORST. LS22, my advice would be to get here a month early, sublet a place, and then use that time to scout out apartments yourself.


I agree. This is a great plan. I would never agree to move to an NYC apartment unless I knew the area a little bit and actually went to the apartment. The average apartment turnaround in NYC is around 3 days as in once a livable apartment is on the market, someone will probably put an application on it in 3 days or less. Being physically in NYC for this process will allow you to steal apartments from noobs.


Also, just be aware that you won't get the first three or four apartments that you like because you're going to be too slow. It's only after continually losing apartments that you will develop the reaction to immediately scream out "I'LL TAKE IT" and slap cash money into their hands that is necessary for securing a place in NYC.

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby lawschool22 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:54 pm

cotiger wrote:
jingosaur wrote:
cotiger wrote:
NYC brokers are the WORST. LS22, my advice would be to get here a month early, sublet a place, and then use that time to scout out apartments yourself.


I agree. This is a great plan. I would never agree to move to an NYC apartment unless I knew the area a little bit and actually went to the apartment. The average apartment turnaround in NYC is around 3 days as in once a livable apartment is on the market, someone will probably put an application on it in 3 days or less. Being physically in NYC for this process will allow you to steal apartments from noobs.


Also, just be aware that you won't get the first three or four apartments that you like because you're going to be too slow. It's only after continually losing apartments that you will develop the reaction to immediately scream out "I'LL TAKE IT" and slap cash money into their hands that is necessary for securing a place in NYC.


There are going to be many adjustments for me to make to get used to NYC. I'm sure you can spot a Midwest transplant from a mile away :D

User avatar
jingosaur
Posts: 2195
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:33 am

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby jingosaur » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:57 pm

Some brokers will bring the lease with them to the showing and after they're done showing you the apartment, they pull out the lease as ask you to sign it.

And yes, they will realize that you are a noob.

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby lawschool22 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:04 pm

jingosaur wrote:Some brokers will bring the lease with them to the showing and after they're done showing you the apartment, they pull out the lease as ask you to sign it.

And yes, they will realize that you are a noob.


And likely try to take advantage of that fact. I'll probably bring a good friend of mine along who has been in the city a while.

User avatar
neprep
Posts: 1066
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:16 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby neprep » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:29 pm

Doesn't NYU offer housing as well?

User avatar
cotiger
Posts: 1648
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:49 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby cotiger » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:38 pm

neprep wrote:Doesn't NYU offer housing as well?


Sure, if you're down for paying $1800/mo for a twin bed where you have to drop by the office for a guest pass anytime you have an overnight guest.

User avatar
neprep
Posts: 1066
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:16 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby neprep » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:43 pm

cotiger wrote:
neprep wrote:Doesn't NYU offer housing as well?


Sure, if you're down for paying $1800/mo for a twin bed where you have to drop by the office for a guest pass anytime you have someone stay overnight.


I guess I'm used to better campus housing and assumed NYU would be similar? :D I knew about the guest pass thing, having been a guest at NYU dorms myself, but I just assumed that was only for undergrad and they made the graduate dorms fancier.

User avatar
cotiger
Posts: 1648
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:49 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby cotiger » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:03 pm

neprep wrote:
cotiger wrote:
neprep wrote:Doesn't NYU offer housing as well?


Sure, if you're down for paying $1800/mo for a twin bed where you have to drop by the office for a guest pass anytime you have someone stay overnight.


I guess I'm used to better campus housing and assumed NYU would be similar? :D I knew about the guest pass thing, having been a guest at NYU dorms myself, but I just assumed that was only for undergrad and they made the graduate dorms fancier.


Twin beds for all rooms except for family housing and the rooms that you pay $2600/mo for. Those are full size beds. All the same rules and regulations apply for Mercer and D'Agostino that apply for the undergrad dorms. I imagine the only people who live in them are 1Ls who are intimidated by the NYC real estate market.

User avatar
jingosaur
Posts: 2195
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:33 am

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby jingosaur » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:09 pm

cotiger wrote:Twin beds for all rooms except for family housing and the rooms that you pay $2600/mo for. Those are full size beds. All the same rules and regulations apply for Mercer and D'Agostino that apply for the undergrad dorms. I imagine the only people who live in them are 1Ls who are intimidated by the NYC real estate market.


I'm a grown ass man. I could never go back to sleeping in a twin bed. I'm going to have enough trouble switching back to domestic beers.

#firstworldproblems

User avatar
cotiger
Posts: 1648
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:49 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby cotiger » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:41 pm

jingosaur wrote:I'm a grown ass man. I could never go back to sleeping in a twin bed. I'm going to have enough trouble switching back to domestic beers.

#firstworldproblems


Does that mean Budweiser and the like? If so.. Why/how could you go back? Don't do it! You have so much to live for!

User avatar
jingosaur
Posts: 2195
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:33 am

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby jingosaur » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:44 pm

cotiger wrote:
jingosaur wrote:I'm a grown ass man. I could never go back to sleeping in a twin bed. I'm going to have enough trouble switching back to domestic beers.

#firstworldproblems


Does that mean Budweiser and the like? If so.. Why/how could you go back? Don't do it! You have so much to live for!


By domestics, I mean Bud, Coors, Miller, Busch, and the like. The reason to go back would be to save money. I won't come in under my COL budget by drinking Bulleit and Toasted Lager all the time.

User avatar
cotiger
Posts: 1648
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:49 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby cotiger » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:56 pm

jingosaur wrote:
cotiger wrote:
jingosaur wrote:I'm a grown ass man. I could never go back to sleeping in a twin bed. I'm going to have enough trouble switching back to domestic beers.

#firstworldproblems


Does that mean Budweiser and the like? If so.. Why/how could you go back? Don't do it! You have so much to live for!


By domestics, I mean Bud, Coors, Miller, Busch, and the like. The reason to go back would be to save money. I won't come in under my COL budget by drinking Bulleit and Toasted Lager all the time.


You don't have to go all the way. You can get Sierra Nevada for like $8/6 pack. Not too fancy, but still delicious.
Last edited by cotiger on Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
neprep
Posts: 1066
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:16 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby neprep » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:57 pm

jingosaur wrote:
cotiger wrote:
jingosaur wrote:I'm a grown ass man. I could never go back to sleeping in a twin bed. I'm going to have enough trouble switching back to domestic beers.

#firstworldproblems


Does that mean Budweiser and the like? If so.. Why/how could you go back? Don't do it! You have so much to live for!


By domestics, I mean Bud, Coors, Miller, Busch, and the like. The reason to go back would be to save money. I won't come in under my COL budget by drinking Bulleit and Toasted Lager all the time.


Chart the middle ground, jingo…Bud Light Platinum.

Humbert Humbert
Posts: 400
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby Humbert Humbert » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:37 pm

jingosaur wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:
neprep wrote:I'm based in NYC, and have a place on the UWS. But I'm definitely thinking of moving further downtown, but we'll see how CLS works out first :wink:.


Where do most NYU Law students live? What are some of the neighborhoods I should target that are a good combo of price, convenience and quality?

I live in a super-low COL, but good-sized mid-west city, so going from my 1600 sq. ft. 3 level townhouse condo that I OWN for less than $800/month is going to be a BIG adjustment! :D :shock: Any help you can provide would be great haha.


So NYU Law is easy to access if you're near the 123 trains or the L train (use Google Maps). The best combo of quality of life, cost, and accessability to NYU is probably in Williamsburg, which is in Brooklyn. It's 4-5 quick subway stops on the L train and an 8 block walk and it's still pretty cheap. If you're a hipster, you'll love it and there are tons of great spots in Williamsburg. The only problem is that the L train is the only feasible way of getting there and it only goes every 15-30 minutes after midnight so getting back home at night can suck.

@LS22. Use streeteasy.com to find apartments. I actually found both of my NYC apartments on Craigslist, but streeteasy will gives you a better idea of how the neighborhoods work. Also, NYC brokers are literally the worst people in the world and watch out for scams.


This x1000.
Last edited by Humbert Humbert on Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Gary
Posts: 338
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 8:47 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby Gary » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:53 pm

For those of you asking about the letter, I just got my blue envelope in the mail today. And it came with a really cool handwritten note on a NYU C/O 2017 Post-it (referencing my PS, optional essays, etc.). It also said that there will be a package coming soon !!! Hope this helps :)

User avatar
ShrimpToastMasters
Posts: 411
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:47 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby ShrimpToastMasters » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:23 pm

I live in midtown west/hell's kitchen and it's great!

There's the A,C,B,D,1,N,Q,R and the views are nice and it's still relatively cheap.

Only crappy part is that it's super-touristy because of Times Square/Theater District.

I really like:

http://www.nybits.com/

User avatar
jingosaur
Posts: 2195
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:33 am

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby jingosaur » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:06 pm

Also, I'm going to some NYU Law bars with friends tomorrow night. If interested in attending, PM me.

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby lawschool22 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:25 pm

A friend suggested Murray Hill. Locals, thoughts?

User avatar
cotiger
Posts: 1648
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:49 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby cotiger » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:59 pm

lawschool22 wrote:A friend suggested Murray Hill. Locals, thoughts?


It's a relatively inexpensive part of Manhattan. I haven't spent much time there, but FWIW I've heard that it's a lame area and oddly fratty/bro-y. Transit links are as bad as the East Village (and further from NYU).

You should be aware, though, that I'm definitely a downtown/Brooklyn partisan. The last time I ventured north of 14th street was for the LSAC forum in October..

Edit: I work as a [deleted for anon] in NYC, so despite not having left downtown/Brooklyn lately, I've spent at least a little time in almost every area.
Last edited by cotiger on Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest