NYU Class of 2017 - We are real 1Ls now

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
gta
Posts: 254
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:51 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby gta » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:17 pm

Got the phone call today! NYU is definitely high on my list.

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby lawschool22 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:29 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:I don't want to think about housing at all, it's intimidating for a non-New Yorker like myself.


Man, so much this.


I just read the student housing doesn't allow pets, so that at least rules out that as an option. Now only 1,000,000 more options to rule out... :D

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby lawschool22 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:30 pm

gta wrote:Got the phone call today! NYU is definitely high on my list.


Congrats and welcome! Very high on my list as well. If I don't get HLS, this will probably be where I go, even if Columbia comes through for me. Columbia seems way more focused on corporate biglaw, and I have some government aspirations, so it would probably be NYU for me in that case.

drumstickies
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:53 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby drumstickies » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:32 pm

Got the phone call today as well! NYU is a top choice for me, but I'm nervous about its price tag. If I get no money, I might not be able to attend. (I have a full ride at a top 20 currently.) Does anyone know if it's too late to apply for the RTK scholly? I have four years of non-profit work that might make me competitive for it. The deadline was Jan. 1, though. Congrats to everybody!

User avatar
koalacity
Posts: 1162
Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:56 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby koalacity » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:41 pm

drumstickies wrote:Got the phone call today as well! NYU is a top choice for me, but I'm nervous about its price tag. If I get no money, I might not be able to attend. (I have a full ride at a top 20 currently.) Does anyone know if it's too late to apply for the RTK scholly? I have four years of non-profit work that might make me competitive for it. The deadline was Jan. 1, though. Congrats to everybody!

Someone else on here (a current NYU student, IIRC) posted that the Jan. 1 deadline is somewhat of a "soft" deadline. I would call the office tomorrow and ask if you can still be considered.

gta
Posts: 254
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:51 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby gta » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:14 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
gta wrote:Got the phone call today! NYU is definitely high on my list.


Congrats and welcome! Very high on my list as well. If I don't get HLS, this will probably be where I go, even if Columbia comes through for me. Columbia seems way more focused on corporate biglaw, and I have some government aspirations, so it would probably be NYU for me in that case.


I'm also looking at government primarily. Our numbers are eerily similar, too... :shock:

User avatar
sjgonzalez3
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:10 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby sjgonzalez3 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:01 pm

Yay!!! Got the call today too!

1st of 12 schools to hear back from though... so I have a long way to go before I truly panic about NYC housing (California born-and-raised)

User avatar
SplitMyPants
Posts: 1392
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:22 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby SplitMyPants » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:19 pm

sjgonzalez3 wrote:Yay!!! Got the call today too!

1st of 12 schools to hear back from though... so I have a long way to go before I truly panic about NYC housing (California born-and-raised)


Congrats!

User avatar
Nonconsecutive
Posts: 2240
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby Nonconsecutive » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:17 am

lawschool22 wrote:I just read the student housing doesn't allow pets, so that at least rules out that as an option. Now only 1,000,000 more options to rule out... :D



Based on your tar I'm guessing its not a snake. :lol:

ejan1621
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:20 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby ejan1621 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:44 pm

Ugh, I didn't know you couldn't have pets. I have two large dogs, and while I grew up and live in NYC now, I was hoping to be able to live closer to NYU if I go. Guess without student housing, I'll be staying far far away from Gwich Village. Damn.

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby lawschool22 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:45 pm

ejan1621 wrote:Ugh, I didn't know you couldn't have pets. I have two large dogs, and while I grew up and live in NYC now, I was hoping to be able to live closer to NYU if I go. Guess without student housing, I'll be staying far far away from Gwich Village. Damn.


I mean the student housing isn't exactly cheap, so if you were planning on paying for it to stay close, you could probably find something in that price range within a reasonable distance.

Disclaimer: My only source for this is the limited craigslist browsing I have been doing lol

politics89
Posts: 377
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:50 am

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby politics89 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:43 pm

I was literally about to post about how no one had contacted me and if I was the only one, but then I got an email from a student! Nice mind-reading NYU. It does make me feel warm and fuzzy.

User avatar
koalacity
Posts: 1162
Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:56 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby koalacity » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:44 pm

politics89 wrote:I was literally about to post about how no one had contacted me and if I was the only one, but then I got an email from a student! Nice mind-reading NYU. It does make me feel warm and fuzzy.

I still haven't gotten an email from a student or alumni, so... :cry:

politics89
Posts: 377
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:50 am

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby politics89 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:45 pm

koalacity wrote:
politics89 wrote:I was literally about to post about how no one had contacted me and if I was the only one, but then I got an email from a student! Nice mind-reading NYU. It does make me feel warm and fuzzy.

I still haven't gotten an email from a student or alumni, so... :cry:


I was accepted on the 8th and this was the first I've heard if it makes you feel any better...

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby lawschool22 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:47 pm

koalacity wrote:
politics89 wrote:I was literally about to post about how no one had contacted me and if I was the only one, but then I got an email from a student! Nice mind-reading NYU. It does make me feel warm and fuzzy.

I still haven't gotten an email from a student or alumni, so... :cry:


There's probably a lot of variation in how long it takes before the student or alumnus gets around to it.

User avatar
koalacity
Posts: 1162
Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:56 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby koalacity » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:47 pm

politics89 wrote:
koalacity wrote:
politics89 wrote:I was literally about to post about how no one had contacted me and if I was the only one, but then I got an email from a student! Nice mind-reading NYU. It does make me feel warm and fuzzy.

I still haven't gotten an email from a student or alumni, so... :cry:


I was accepted on the 8th and this was the first I've heard if it makes you feel any better...

It does! I was also in the 1/8 wave, so there's still hope.

Theopliske8711
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:21 am

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby Theopliske8711 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:10 pm

Just got one.

User avatar
kershka
Posts: 630
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:45 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby kershka » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:20 pm

Just had the leader of a student group reach out to me, today!

So I've had a current student, an alum, and a student group contact me thus far. NYU has really been great though I still want an invite to that cocktail party

User avatar
Nonconsecutive
Posts: 2240
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby Nonconsecutive » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:38 pm

kershka wrote:though I still want an invite to that cocktail party

User avatar
paglababa
Posts: 888
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:34 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby paglababa » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:42 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:
kershka wrote:though I still want an invite to that cocktail party


I want an invite to a scholarship finalists' interview session :D

User avatar
kershka
Posts: 630
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:45 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby kershka » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:57 pm

paglababa wrote:
Nonconsecutive wrote:
kershka wrote:though I still want an invite to that cocktail party


I want an invite to a scholarship finalists' interview session :D

lol, me too! Especially since I didn't actually apply for any of the scholarships :D

User avatar
Arrow4Christ
Posts: 418
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:07 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby Arrow4Christ » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:02 pm

Checking in after being accepted on the 22nd! NYU is very high on my list, so getting in so quickly after my app submission takes a lot of pressure off my cycle.

Edit: Found the answer.

User avatar
Nonconsecutive
Posts: 2240
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby Nonconsecutive » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:17 pm

paglababa wrote:
Nonconsecutive wrote:
kershka wrote:though I still want an invite to that cocktail party


I want an invite to a scholarship finalists' interview session :D


I would trade my pizza box for this.



no sticky notes

gimmedanger
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:28 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby gimmedanger » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:28 pm

checking in. got the call yesterday.

Not sure where I will end up yet, but the opportunity to live in NYC sure is appealing!

Theopliske8711
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:21 am

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby Theopliske8711 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:43 pm

I was talking to the student who sent me an email and she told me that scholarship stuff comes around in April.




Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest