NYU Class of 2017 - We are real 1Ls now

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
User avatar
paglababa
Posts: 888
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:34 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - Orientation is Coming

Postby paglababa » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:09 pm

checkers wrote:
BuddyHoller wrote:Make it 3 TLS in Cohen's lawyering.


Great to hear! That's a good showing for our small section.



:shock: :shock: :shock:

User avatar
checkers
Posts: 372
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:35 am

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - Orientation is Coming

Postby checkers » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:27 pm

paglababa wrote:
checkers wrote:
BuddyHoller wrote:Make it 3 TLS in Cohen's lawyering.


Great to hear! That's a good showing for our small section.



:shock: :shock: :shock:


I'd better watch what I type then, since I'm pretty sure it's easy to figure out who I am.

User avatar
BuddyHoller
Posts: 284
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:30 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - Orientation is Coming

Postby BuddyHoller » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:57 pm

checkers wrote:
paglababa wrote:
checkers wrote:
BuddyHoller wrote:Make it 3 TLS in Cohen's lawyering.


Great to hear! That's a good showing for our small section.



:shock: :shock: :shock:


I'd better watch what I type then, since I'm pretty sure it's easy to figure out who I am.


Ditto.

fivestarfolds
Posts: 537
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - Orientation is Coming

Postby fivestarfolds » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:42 pm

Checkers, our meeting is inevitable. Check that Civ Pro seating chart.

User avatar
checkers
Posts: 372
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:35 am

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - Orientation is Coming

Postby checkers » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:25 pm

fivestarfolds wrote:Checkers, our meeting is inevitable. Check that Civ Pro seating chart.


I saw that! We meet at last.

fivestarfolds
Posts: 537
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - Orientation is Coming

Postby fivestarfolds » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:36 pm

How are people approaching the "universe of cases" material? I'm 2/3s of the way through but I don't think I should spend any more time on these cases until I know what I'm reading them for.

User avatar
checkers
Posts: 372
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:35 am

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - Orientation is Coming

Postby checkers » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:46 pm

fivestarfolds wrote:How are people approaching the "universe of cases" material?

I'm skimming. I think we'll have the next week or so to go through them in more depth. "Over a period of about three weeks all of you, regardless which side you represent, will 1) read and analyze a series of seven cases..." Operations Memo, 1 (2014).

fivestarfolds
Posts: 537
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - Orientation is Coming

Postby fivestarfolds » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:04 pm

checkers wrote:
fivestarfolds wrote:How are people approaching the "universe of cases" material?

I'm skimming. I think we'll have the next week or so to go through them in more depth. "Over a period of about three weeks all of you, regardless which side you represent, will 1) read and analyze a series of seven cases..." Operations Memo, 1 (2014).

Checkers, could you point me to a link where you are reading that? It sounds useful.

User avatar
checkers
Posts: 372
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:35 am

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - Orientation is Coming

Postby checkers » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:14 pm

fivestarfolds wrote:
checkers wrote:
fivestarfolds wrote:How are people approaching the "universe of cases" material?

I'm skimming. I think we'll have the next week or so to go through them in more depth. "Over a period of about three weeks all of you, regardless which side you represent, will 1) read and analyze a series of seven cases..." Operations Memo, 1 (2014).

Checkers, could you point me to a link where you are reading that? It sounds useful.

It's the first sentence of the second paragraph of the "Operations Memo 2014" document which was in the same folder as the cases. Since we're in different sections, you may or may not have that, or yours may be different.

fivestarfolds
Posts: 537
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - Orientation is Coming

Postby fivestarfolds » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:17 pm

checkers wrote:It's the first sentence of the second paragraph of the "Operations Memo 2014" document which was in the same folder as the cases. Since we're in different sections, you may or may not have that, or yours may be different.

We don't have that document. I wish we did. Oh well, I feel comfortable with the cases now.

bb2418
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:38 am

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - Orientation is Coming

Postby bb2418 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:31 pm

the floaters should have a meet up sometime soon. this weekend maybe

jimmorrisonlvr
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:35 am

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - Orientation is Coming

Postby jimmorrisonlvr » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:37 pm

floaters4lyfe

03152016
Posts: 9189
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:14 am

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - Orientation is Coming

Postby 03152016 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:20 pm

how's the workload for everyone
finding it v hard to keep on track (then again i put off the early assignments, which is my bad)

User avatar
phillywc
Posts: 3043
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:17 am

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - Orientation is Coming

Postby phillywc » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:28 pm

do i count as a floater

eta: I've found it as bad as you make it. It's a non-zero amount of work but we have fuck all else to do. I'm been procrastinating pretty bad but I feel like I have it under control.

fivestarfolds
Posts: 537
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - Orientation is Coming

Postby fivestarfolds » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:33 pm

Brut wrote:how's the workload for everyone
finding it v hard to keep on track (then again i put off the early assignments, which is my bad)

I find the workload manageable if only because there's an actual expectation that you've done the reading. College was not like this. It motivates me.

They also don't assign pointless reading (barring the lawyering textbook which could easily be cut in half).

User avatar
sims1
Posts: 164
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:03 am

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - Orientation is Coming

Postby sims1 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:49 pm

Brut wrote:how's the workload for everyone
finding it v hard to keep on track (then again i put off the early assignments, which is my bad)


I've had tons of free time. I do the readings right after class (granted don't really take notes or re-read) and discuss them with friends later. Most of this stuff seems pretty introductory, maybe I'll be more swamped later..

p3aceandl0v3
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:04 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - Orientation is Coming

Postby p3aceandl0v3 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:39 am

.
Last edited by p3aceandl0v3 on Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
definitedoubt
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:32 am

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - Orientation is Coming

Postby definitedoubt » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:42 am

So I figured this would be a hilariously late time to stop lurking and create an account. Hello!

(Also I didn't feel like doing anything productive before my next class)

alinor
Posts: 97
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:56 am

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - Orientation is Coming

Postby alinor » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:51 am

p3aceandl0v3 wrote:best place to take a nap on campus? 9 am class is killing me


My orientation tour guide mentioned couches on the first floor of Furman. I think there's a lounge there.

User avatar
sims1
Posts: 164
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:03 am

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - Orientation is Coming

Postby sims1 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:31 pm

soo what program is the best for doing our legal research (aka free stuff)?

User avatar
Slytherpuff
Posts: 2341
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:50 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - Orientation is Coming

Postby Slytherpuff » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:03 pm

sims1 wrote:soo what program is the best for doing our legal research (aka free stuff)?

I'm pretty tempted by the points system with Lexis...

User avatar
sims1
Posts: 164
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:03 am

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - Orientation is Coming

Postby sims1 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:08 pm

fkt18 wrote:
sims1 wrote:soo what program is the best for doing our legal research (aka free stuff)?

I'm pretty tempted by the points system with Lexis...


I did the math based on my understanding of the program..

10 pts per day to search an article.
400 pts = $5

400/10 = 40 days

Assuming it takes 1 minute to search an article that's 40 mins spread out over 40 days to get $5. Or $7.50 per hour. Bloomberg gave us portable phone chargers tho...

p3aceandl0v3
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:04 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - Orientation is Coming

Postby p3aceandl0v3 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:00 pm

fkt18 wrote:
sims1 wrote:soo what program is the best for doing our legal research (aka free stuff)?

I'm pretty tempted by the points system with Lexis...


Yes. I want a free couch.

fivestarfolds
Posts: 537
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - Orientation is Coming

Postby fivestarfolds » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:02 pm

sims1 wrote:
fkt18 wrote:
sims1 wrote:soo what program is the best for doing our legal research (aka free stuff)?

I'm pretty tempted by the points system with Lexis...


I did the math based on my understanding of the program..

10 pts per day to search an article.
400 pts = $5

400/10 = 40 days

Assuming it takes 1 minute to search an article that's 40 mins spread out over 40 days to get $5. Or $7.50 per hour. Bloomberg gave us portable phone chargers tho...

So it will only take me 15.3 years to buy the cheapest west elm couch? Sign me up!

User avatar
Synch
Posts: 166
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:33 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - Orientation is Coming

Postby Synch » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:34 pm

Does Westlaw no longer offer a points system? I seem to recall they used to...




Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest