NYU Class of 2017 - Basically graduated Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
lawschool22

Gold

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Post by lawschool22 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:55 pm

kershka wrote:
Nonconsecutive wrote: Awesome!

Now for the more important question, did it fit in your mailbox?
And, more importantly, are you from the midwest :wink:
Ha nice. Somewhat random, but I heard someone on NPR this morning refer to it as "the Middle West." Luckily the host (who is from the midwest) corrected her, and told her no one here calls it that lol. She apologized and said she was a life-long east coast person.
Last edited by lawschool22 on Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drawstring

Gold

Post by drawstring » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:56 pm

It was just left at my door--wouldn't fit through my mail slot.

I'm on the west coast, no crazy cold and snow for me :)

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:27 pm

drawstring wrote:It was just left at my door--wouldn't fit through my mail slot.
Too-Big-For-Mailbox-So-Left-At-Door-Club, represent!

And lol @ "The Middle West" I've never heard that in my life, and I've heard a lot of variations for this area, some good, some very negative. :lol:

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:52 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
kershka wrote:

Ha nice. Somewhat random, but I heard someone on NPR this morning refer to it as "the Middle West." Luckily the host (who is from the midwest) corrected her, and told her no one here calls it that lol. She apologized and said she was a life-long east coast person.
I don't think this is just explicable by appeal to the fact that she's from the east coast.

Although it would confirm a lot of my stereotypes about the east coast if it were. :P

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:57 pm

midwest17 wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:
kershka wrote:

I don't think this is just explicable by appeal to the fact that she's from the east coast.

Although it would confirm a lot of my stereotypes about the east coast if it were. :P
Oh I agree, but that was the reason she gave for saying it lol. She was talking about it as if we were some quaint little region in a fairy tale or something :D.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tls2175

Bronze

Post by tls2175 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:58 pm

midwest17 wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:
kershka wrote:

FWIW - East Coaster here! It's always been Midwest to me.

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:14 pm

lawschool22 wrote:[She was talking about it as if we were some quaint little region in a fairy tale or something :D.
Don't break down my happy mirages :D

waferthinmint

Bronze

Post by waferthinmint » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:04 pm

This is my first ever TLS forum post, after surreptitious lurking since last fall!

Did any other Cali folks receive the invitation to an alumni and admitted students reception with Dean Morrison in San Francisco? I'm wondering what to do about this or how big a deal it is; it sounds lovely, but it's a Monday night and I'm in Los Angeles so I would have to take at least a day off work. It sounds like an annual thing they do. I'm guessing they have a lot of these things by region?

Thanks!

Theopliske8711

Gold

Post by Theopliske8711 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:34 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
kershka wrote:

That's not an excuse...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

db1990

New

Post by db1990 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:13 pm

waferthinmint wrote:This is my first ever TLS forum post, after surreptitious lurking since last fall!

Did any other Cali folks receive the invitation to an alumni and admitted students reception with Dean Morrison in San Francisco? I'm wondering what to do about this or how big a deal it is; it sounds lovely, but it's a Monday night and I'm in Los Angeles so I would have to take at least a day off work. It sounds like an annual thing they do. I'm guessing they have a lot of these things by region?

Thanks!
First off, checking in!

And I was just about to as the same thing :D I'll be going for sure.

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:30 pm

Did anyone get an email today from an NYU alumnus inviting you to meet for coffee or lunch?

lastsamurai

Silver

Post by lastsamurai » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:43 pm

Yep I did...nice touch

cway

Bronze

Post by cway » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:56 pm

FWIW... You guys should take look at the events listed on the admitted student website if you haven't already... A few cool panels and luncheons we have access to as admits, including one with Kenji Yoshino on LGBT issues. Looks pretty interesting!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

waferthinmint

Bronze

Post by waferthinmint » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:03 pm

waferthinmint wrote:This is my first ever TLS forum post, after surreptitious lurking since last fall!

Thanks!
Nevermind, got an email for an LA one!

koalacity

Silver

Post by koalacity » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:03 pm

lawschool22 wrote:Did anyone get an email today from an NYU alumnus inviting you to meet for coffee or lunch?
lastsamurai wrote:Yep I did...nice touch
Nope :(. There may not be many (if any) NYU alumni in my state, though.

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:08 pm

I really am loving NYU's outreach and effort. They were efficient with their decision-making process, we received a nice decision call, then there was the letter w/ personalized note, the great "pizza box" package, I received a wonderful email from the dean and a professor (in response to question I sent Dean Morrison relating to a specific interest I have), and now this offer to meet with a alumnus.

They're definitely doing a good job at making us feel wanted.

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:13 pm

lawschool22 wrote:I really am loving NYU's outreach and effort. They were efficient with their decision-making process, we received a nice decision call, then there was the letter w/ personalized note, the great "pizza box" package, I received a wonderful email from the dean and a professor (in response to question I sent Dean Morrison relating to a specific interest I have), and now this offer to meet with a alumnus.

+1 to all this. Though I didn't get the offer to meet with an alumnus.

Last edited by Nonconsecutive on Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

db1990

New

Post by db1990 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:16 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
I really am loving NYU's outreach and effort. They were efficient with their decision-making process, we received a nice decision call, then there was the letter w/ personalized note, the great "pizza box" package, I received a wonderful email from the dean and a professor (in response to question I sent Dean Morrison relating to a specific interest I have), and now this offer to meet with a alumnus.

Agreed.

It's just a small thing, but they've been the only school to call be the name I've gone by since birth rather than my "official" name, which shows me that they really read my app closely. They're definitely making me feel wanted :D

koalacity

Silver

Post by koalacity » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:43 pm

db1990 wrote: Agreed.

It's just a small thing, but they've been the only school to call be the name I've gone by since birth rather than my "official" name, which shows me that they really read my app closely. They're definitely making me feel wanted :D
Both NYU and Berkeley did this for me with my acceptance calls, and I thought it was a really nice touch.
Last edited by koalacity on Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:45 pm

koalacity wrote:

Both NYU and Berkeley did this for me with my acceptances calls, and I thought it was a really nice touch.
I can see why some schools would be hesitant to call you Koala, but I'm glad NYU and Berk did the right thing :D

koalacity

Silver

Post by koalacity » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:51 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
koalacity wrote:

Both NYU and Berkeley did this for me with my acceptances calls, and I thought it was a really nice touch.
I can see why some schools would be hesitant to call you Koala, but I'm glad NYU and Berk did the right thing :D
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jingosaur

Gold

Post by jingosaur » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:54 pm

I want a lunch with alumni e-mail so bad right now.

barrelofmonkeys

Gold

Post by barrelofmonkeys » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:56 pm

jingosaur wrote:I want a[n] e-mail so bad right now.
fixed to reflect my own views

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:57 pm

jingosaur wrote:I want a lunch with alumni e-mail so bad right now.
I'll trade you my lunch email for your Uchi interview invite email. Deal? :D

barrelofmonkeys

Gold

Post by barrelofmonkeys » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:59 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
jingosaur wrote:I want a lunch with alumni e-mail so bad right now.
I'll trade you my lunch email for your Uchi interview invite email. Deal? :D
I don't have a lunch e-mail to trade. Will you take $20?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”