NYU Class of 2017 - We are real 1Ls now

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
03152016
Posts: 9189
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:14 am

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - Old Photos in OP!

Postby 03152016 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:12 pm

tenniscourt wrote:
fivestarfolds wrote:
tenniscourt wrote:Also excited considering NYU doesn't have as much lay prestige in the MidWest as it does in other parts of the country and I'm getting sick of explaining where I'm going to law school :?

This is too true. The only person who has ever gotten excited about my law school was from the East Coast.



Seriously though. After explaining to someone that I was going to "New York University" their response was "Why would you travel so far to go to a state school when you could go to U of I or Michigan?" And I was all :( :? :| :cry:

At least they're not getting it confused with New York Law School...
http://abovethelaw.com/2013/10/dumb-blo ... -campuses/

03152016
Posts: 9189
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:14 am

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - Old Photos in OP!

Postby 03152016 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:19 pm

tenniscourt wrote:
bb2418 wrote:our film school peers need to step it up and start including NYU in more legal movies/shows



I know, right!? The last thing I've seen on TV with someone going to NYU was the show Girls with the notoriously dumb character be the butt of jokes since she's like in her late 20s and still in NYU undergrad so even that gives us a bad rep :x

NYU undergrad is good but it kind of gets shit on a lot
Maybe it's related to their battles with the neighborhood and the perception that everyone who goes there is a trust-funder :roll:

But yeah, the difference in "prestige" between NYU undergrad and law is pretty crazy. The lawyers I know are pretty happy for me, but everyone else doesn't really get why I'm so pumped

fivestarfolds
Posts: 537
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - Old Photos in OP!

Postby fivestarfolds » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:26 pm

-
Last edited by fivestarfolds on Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Slytherpuff
Posts: 2353
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:50 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - Old Photos in OP!

Postby Slytherpuff » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:41 am

phillywc wrote:I'd be absolutely down to meet up, although I am living in D'ag so I might be moving in the 20th. TLS meetup at Phillys before official orientation?

:D Of course.

User avatar
Slytherpuff
Posts: 2353
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:50 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - Old Photos in OP!

Postby Slytherpuff » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:42 am

fivestarfolds wrote:
Max324 wrote:
tenniscourt wrote:
bb2418 wrote:our film school peers need to step it up and start including NYU in more legal movies/shows



I know, right!? The last thing I've seen on TV with someone going to NYU was the show Girls with the notoriously dumb character be the butt of jokes since she's like in her late 20s and still in NYU undergrad so even that gives us a bad rep :x

NYU undergrad is good but it kind of gets shit on a lot
Maybe it's related to their battles with the neighborhood and the perception that everyone who goes there is a trust-funder :roll:

But yeah, the difference in "prestige" between NYU undergrad and law is pretty crazy. The lawyers I know are pretty happy for me, but everyone else doesn't really get why I'm so pumped

This has its advantages. For one, my wife and I don't feel like tools when we talk about where we're going. It's kind of nice when people just shrug it off.

In my case, people are just excited to hear that I'm moving to NYC and they have no clue about NYU or any law school prestige.

User avatar
Coprolalia
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:06 pm

..

Postby Coprolalia » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:51 am

..
Last edited by Coprolalia on Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

muzzy
Posts: 488
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:01 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - Old Photos in OP!

Postby muzzy » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:59 pm

.
Last edited by muzzy on Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
phillywc
Posts: 3043
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:17 am

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - Old Photos in OP!

Postby phillywc » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:54 am

muzzy wrote:
phillywc wrote:I'd be absolutely down to meet up, although I am living in D'ag so I might be moving in the 20th. TLS meetup at Phillys before official orientation?
Aw yiss!

I'll likely be in the city for a week or two before as well if people want to meet up for drinks / lazy afternoons.

I don't live that far from NYC currently (i bet you can guess where!), I'd be down to have a thing before move-in day.

User avatar
paglababa
Posts: 888
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:34 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - Old Photos in OP!

Postby paglababa » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:12 am

phillywc wrote:
muzzy wrote:
phillywc wrote:I'd be absolutely down to meet up, although I am living in D'ag so I might be moving in the 20th. TLS meetup at Phillys before official orientation?
Aw yiss!

I'll likely be in the city for a week or two before as well if people want to meet up for drinks / lazy afternoons.

I don't live that far from NYC currently (i bet you can guess where!), I'd be down to have a thing before move-in day.


So. Down.

User avatar
barrelofmonkeys
Posts: 1906
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:41 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - Old Photos in OP!

Postby barrelofmonkeys » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:15 am

paglababa wrote:So. Down.


Down as well! I don't live in the city yet, but I live very close.

User avatar
phillywc
Posts: 3043
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:17 am

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - Old Photos in OP!

Postby phillywc » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:26 am

barrelofmonkeys wrote:
paglababa wrote:So. Down.


Down as well! I don't live in the city yet, but I live very close.

! o can i stay at your place so I don't have to drive home late at night?

User avatar
tenniscourt
Posts: 279
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:00 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - Old Photos in OP!

Postby tenniscourt » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:35 am

Wish I lived in NYC area so I could participate in these meet up festivities :(

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - Old Photos in OP!

Postby lawschool22 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:41 am

phillywc wrote:
barrelofmonkeys wrote:
paglababa wrote:So. Down.


Down as well! I don't live in the city yet, but I live very close.

! o can i stay at your place so I don't have to drive home late at night?


So sad to see what I'm now missing out on :(

User avatar
Power_of_Facing
Posts: 332
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:36 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - Old Photos in OP!

Postby Power_of_Facing » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:47 am

lawschool22 wrote:
phillywc wrote:
barrelofmonkeys wrote:
paglababa wrote:So. Down.


Down as well! I don't live in the city yet, but I live very close.

! o can i stay at your place so I don't have to drive home late at night?


So sad to see what I'm now missing out on :(


How much money from NYU could have swayed you away from HLS's preftigious clutches???

User avatar
phillywc
Posts: 3043
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:17 am

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - Old Photos in OP!

Postby phillywc » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:49 am

lawschool22 wrote:
phillywc wrote:
barrelofmonkeys wrote:
paglababa wrote:So. Down.


Down as well! I don't live in the city yet, but I live very close.

! o can i stay at your place so I don't have to drive home late at night?


So sad to see what I'm now missing out on :(

You could have had it all

User avatar
Power_of_Facing
Posts: 332
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:36 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - Old Photos in OP!

Postby Power_of_Facing » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:49 am

barrelofmonkeys wrote:
paglababa wrote:So. Down.


Down as well! I don't live in the city yet, but I live very close.


So up for this that I'm also down.

If only I could figure out how to arrange it so that I am able to participate in all this without having to out myself as a TLSer...

User avatar
paglababa
Posts: 888
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:34 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - Old Photos in OP!

Postby paglababa » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:02 pm

Power_of_Facing wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:
phillywc wrote:
barrelofmonkeys wrote:
Down as well! I don't live in the city yet, but I live very close.

! o can i stay at your place so I don't have to drive home late at night?


So sad to see what I'm now missing out on :(


How much money from NYU could have swayed you away from HLS's preftigious clutches???


Full ride could do the trick :D

User avatar
paglababa
Posts: 888
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:34 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - Old Photos in OP!

Postby paglababa » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:03 pm

Power_of_Facing wrote:
barrelofmonkeys wrote:
paglababa wrote:So. Down.


Down as well! I don't live in the city yet, but I live very close.


So up for this that I'm also down.

If only I could figure out how to arrange it so that I am able to participate in all this without having to out myself as a TLSer...


I went to another HH meet up (2 of them actually) back in the day before i picked a school. Lol i just showed up and introduced my self with my real name and said 'oh yea i only read TLS every now and then' :wink: :wink: :wink: Pretty easy.

User avatar
paglababa
Posts: 888
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:34 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - Old Photos in OP!

Postby paglababa » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:05 pm

phillywc wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:
phillywc wrote:
barrelofmonkeys wrote:
Down as well! I don't live in the city yet, but I live very close.

! o can i stay at your place so I don't have to drive home late at night?


So sad to see what I'm now missing out on :(

You could have had it all


Image

User avatar
phillywc
Posts: 3043
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:17 am

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - Old Photos in OP!

Postby phillywc » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:05 pm

paglababa wrote:I went to another HH meet up (2 of them actually) back in the day before i picked a school. Lol i just showed up and introduced my self with my real name and said 'oh yea i only read TLS every now and then' :wink: :wink: :wink: Pretty easy.

I don't think I can pull that off. I don't post mean stuff on TLS, I'm not particularly ashamed of posting here. I'll just be open about it.

User avatar
phillywc
Posts: 3043
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:17 am

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - Old Photos in OP!

Postby phillywc » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:39 pm

Unrelated: Some of my friends going to other schools already have their classes. Any way for us to check that yet?

User avatar
BuddyHoller
Posts: 287
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:30 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - Old Photos in OP!

Postby BuddyHoller » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:14 pm

phillywc wrote:Unrelated: Some of my friends going to other schools already have their classes. Any way for us to check that yet?


I've been playing around with NYUs registration systems for a few days looking for any indicators but haven't found much yet. This time last year someone posted a list of classes by section, but sections assignments seem to be given out later. No idea where they got that list last year.

bb2418
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:38 am

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - Old Photos in OP!

Postby bb2418 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:37 pm

anyone else cringe when they noticed the updated 2014-2015 budget online?

User avatar
Power_of_Facing
Posts: 332
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:36 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - Old Photos in OP!

Postby Power_of_Facing » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:49 pm

bb2418 wrote:anyone else cringe when they noticed the updated 2014-2015 budget online?


More like, $83,722.00: :shock: , :cry:

Chekhov'sGun
Posts: 119
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:43 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - Old Photos in OP!

Postby Chekhov'sGun » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:03 pm

Power_of_Facing wrote:
bb2418 wrote:anyone else cringe when they noticed the updated 2014-2015 budget online?


More like, $83,722.00: :shock: , :cry:


Denial and/or booze are the only ways I see myself coping with that number...




Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest