NYU Class of 2017 - We are real 1Ls now

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
User avatar
drawstring
Posts: 1933
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:52 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby drawstring » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:08 pm

Just got my letter after DLS on Dec 3! The personalized note is a nice touch......

User avatar
kershka
Posts: 630
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:45 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby kershka » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:14 pm

drawstring wrote:Just got my letter after DLS on Dec 3! The personalized note is a nice touch......

Did the intent to enroll form come with the letter for the rest of you? It came with mine, but there was no mention of a package coming and I'm wondering if they they're even going to send one due to me being so far away.

Yeah, the intent to enroll form came to me as well. Not even going to speculate about the package thing.

User avatar
drawstring
Posts: 1933
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:52 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby drawstring » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:19 pm

I looked over the letter again and it did mention that a package would come :oops:

Glad to have the letter though!

User avatar
applelover
Posts: 1921
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:43 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby applelover » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:47 pm

I got my pizza box!

User avatar
Nonconsecutive
Posts: 2249
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby Nonconsecutive » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:46 pm

applelover wrote:I got my pizza box!


Awesome! I wonder if I emailed them asking a question about the pizza if they would get the reference.

User avatar
paglababa
Posts: 888
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:34 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby paglababa » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:29 pm

I'm thinking about moving to Brooklyn before school. Its like a 20 minute ride from Halsey/Gates to Essex. My friends pay only $675 for a room though the area isn't the greatest. Going to continue looking for a better deal.

User avatar
cotiger
Posts: 1648
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:49 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby cotiger » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:45 am

paglababa wrote:I'm thinking about moving to Brooklyn before school. Its like a 20 minute ride from Halsey/Gates to Essex. My friends pay only $675 for a room though the area isn't the greatest. Going to continue looking for a better deal.


I lived off of the Halsey J for a while. Not worth it (especially for $675!). There's pretty literally nothing there. If you're ever hungry, you're going to have to settle for deli sandwiches or Popeye's. Over and over again. Plus, it's just a crummy, run down area. Pay the extra hundred bucks and live in the western half of Bushwick.

03152016
Posts: 9189
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:14 am

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby 03152016 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:45 am

paglababa wrote:I'm thinking about moving to Brooklyn before school. Its like a 20 minute ride from Halsey/Gates to Essex. My friends pay only $675 for a room though the area isn't the greatest. Going to continue looking for a better deal.

If Gates is anything like it was in 2010, you should pass. It's very rough in parts, I was harassed constantly and even assaulted once.

Also, since it's been a while since I posted it and it might help people looking for housing:
Max324 wrote:I took Google Maps subway map and merged it with Triptop's NYC map to show commute times to NYU. Orange is 15 to 20 minutes, green is 30 to 40 minutes, blue is 50+ minutes.
Image

Did the same with the NYPD's crime map (indicating "major crimes"). No color indicates less than 1 reported crime per 1,000 residents, light orange for 1 to 1.5, orange for 1.5 to 2, red for 2 to 3, and dark red for over 3 (only the Times Square area). This isn't a perfect indicator of safety, though -- Midtown West, for example, is a lot safer than East New York.
Image

One more, same deal, but with median rents per neighborhood (via richblockspoorblocks.com). Darker is more expensive. Info on some blocks is missing.
Image

03152016
Posts: 9189
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:14 am

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby 03152016 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:48 am

cotiger wrote:
paglababa wrote:I'm thinking about moving to Brooklyn before school. Its like a 20 minute ride from Halsey/Gates to Essex. My friends pay only $675 for a room though the area isn't the greatest. Going to continue looking for a better deal.


I lived off of the Halsey J for a while. Not worth it (especially for $675!). There's pretty literally nothing there. If you're ever hungry, you're going to have to settle for deli sandwiches or Popeye's. Over and over again. Plus, it's just a crummy, run down area. Pay the extra hundred bucks and live in the western half of Bushwick.

I was near there. Least favorite neighborhood I've lived in in NY. And the J train late at night... :?

User avatar
cotiger
Posts: 1648
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:49 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby cotiger » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:29 am

Max324 wrote:
paglababa wrote:I'm thinking about moving to Brooklyn before school. Its like a 20 minute ride from Halsey/Gates to Essex. My friends pay only $675 for a room though the area isn't the greatest. Going to continue looking for a better deal.

If Gates is anything like it was in 2010, you should pass. It's very rough in parts, I was harassed constantly and even assaulted once.

I was near there. Least favorite neighborhood I've lived in in NY. And the J train late at night... :?


It's not "very rough" at all, at least not anymore. Never harassed or assaulted, nor any of my friends. It does have a sort of run-down, too much concrete vibe, though. The major problem is that it just doesn't have anything. The big killer is no restaurants, and the grocery stores are not good.

I will say though that it was perfect for first moving to NYC. $500/mo for a room in a new reno? Sign me up. DGAF, I'm in NYC4cheapz! Now, though, I much prefer my nicer Bushwick digs.

03152016
Posts: 9189
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:14 am

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby 03152016 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:47 am

cotiger wrote:
Max324 wrote:
paglababa wrote:I'm thinking about moving to Brooklyn before school. Its like a 20 minute ride from Halsey/Gates to Essex. My friends pay only $675 for a room though the area isn't the greatest. Going to continue looking for a better deal.

If Gates is anything like it was in 2010, you should pass. It's very rough in parts, I was harassed constantly and even assaulted once.


It's not "very rough" at all, at least not anymore. Never harassed or assaulted, nor any of my friends. It does have a sort of run-down, too much concrete vibe, though. The major problem is that it just doesn't have anything. The big killer is no restaurants, and the grocery stores are not good.

Haven't been there for a few years. When I lived there it was not safe. I was randomly attacked by some kids with a pipe on Broadway, and had racial slurs thrown at me regularly (same thing happened to another Asian friend of mine). The girls in the apartment moved out after I did; guys on the street were following them, making lewd comments, etc.

If things have changed, great. My last Bushwick apartment was a positive experience. Just do your due diligence is all.

User avatar
cotiger
Posts: 1648
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:49 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby cotiger » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:37 am

Max324 wrote:Haven't been there for a few years. When I lived there it was not safe. I was randomly attacked by some kids with a pipe on Broadway, and had racial slurs thrown at me regularly (same thing happened to another Asian friend of mine). The girls in the apartment moved out after I did; guys on the street were following them, making lewd comments, etc.

If things have changed, great. My last Bushwick apartment was a positive experience. Just do your due diligence is all.


Jesus. Well, not anything like that at all now. Four years is a lifetime here lol. Hell, I noticed significant differences in the makeup of the neighborhood over the course of even just 1 year.

I remember reading an article a couple years ago written by this guy who changed his mind about being an "urban pioneer" ( :roll: ) after he got assaulted at the Morgan L stop. It happened in 2008 (so again about 4 years difference from the article), and I remember being so shocked that that area could have been considered edgy and/or scary. Stuff changes so ridiculously quickly here.

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby lawschool22 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:47 am

Man, as someone who has absolutely zero familiarity with NYC, all this talk of variability among neighborhoods really has me not looking forward to the housing search. If I do end up here, I may just go with student housing only to avoid having to find an apartment and navigate a market I know nothing about.

User avatar
cotiger
Posts: 1648
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:49 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby cotiger » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:03 am

lawschool22 wrote:Man, as someone who has absolutely zero familiarity with NYC, all this talk of variability among neighborhoods really has me not looking forward to the housing search. If I do end up here, I may just go with student housing only to avoid having to find an apartment and navigate a market I know nothing about.


Don't worry, it's just NYC people being NYC people. The whole thing really doesn't need to be nearly as complicated as we're making it sound.

Rule of thumb: if you get a place in any of the areas that were listed in that original poll--congrats! It's a guaranteed nice area. If you're looking for a little cheaper/further out, maybe ask here first. For instance, if you're looking at Bushwick, you probably just don't want to go further than Myrtle-Wykoff on the L or Kosciusko on the J because beyond that things get real lame real quick. As far as safety goes, at this point in NYC's history you're fine pretty much wherever you are (though please do not take this to mean you should look for apartments in Brownsville or the South Bronx).

User avatar
paglababa
Posts: 888
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:34 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby paglababa » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:39 am

cotiger wrote:
Max324 wrote:Haven't been there for a few years. When I lived there it was not safe. I was randomly attacked by some kids with a pipe on Broadway, and had racial slurs thrown at me regularly (same thing happened to another Asian friend of mine). The girls in the apartment moved out after I did; guys on the street were following them, making lewd comments, etc.

If things have changed, great. My last Bushwick apartment was a positive experience. Just do your due diligence is all.


Jesus. Well, not anything like that at all now. Four years is a lifetime here lol. Hell, I noticed significant differences in the makeup of the neighborhood over the course of even just 1 year.

I remember reading an article a couple years ago written by this guy who changed his mind about being an "urban pioneer" ( :roll: ) after he got assaulted at the Morgan L stop. It happened in 2008 (so again about 4 years difference from the article), and I remember being so shocked that that area could have been considered edgy and/or scary. Stuff changes so ridiculously quickly here.


THIS. The pace of gentrification in BK is ridiculous. I remember when Jefferson/Morgan/ect on the L was hood like 2 years ago and now rent there is $2000+ and you have organic food stores.

That being said, I've been over to my friends house in the middle of Gates/Halsey a lot the past two months. I agree there is NOTHING there, and though its got a shady, run down feeling, never had any problems, even late at night.

Honestly, I don't wanna move there. I'm just looking for a place thats 20 mins from the city and won't cost me a ridiculous amount. Will take suggestions. Maybe some of us can end up rooming together.

Theopliske8711
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:21 am

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby Theopliske8711 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:33 pm

Most Brooklyn, except East New York is fine. Areas like Bushwick, Flatbush, and BedSty are still a bit "rough" (as in, middle class white girl/boy comes across rowdy minorities and gets scared), but crime is next to nil. Honestly, I walk those parts at 3AM drunk as hell and I'm fine. The worst you have to worry about is occasional home theft, which you don't have to suffer if you are smart and close your windows and lock doors (seriously).

You guys might also consider Jersey City if you want to save on living expenses. Very easy trip to NYU.

Theopliske8711
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:21 am

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby Theopliske8711 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:47 pm

lawschool22 wrote:Man, as someone who has absolutely zero familiarity with NYC, all this talk of variability among neighborhoods really has me not looking forward to the housing search. If I do end up here, I may just go with student housing only to avoid having to find an apartment and navigate a market I know nothing about.


I'd prolly recommend this for the first year. Get familiar with the city first and then find a place. It's difficult as it is even while living in NYC; I couldn't imagine looking for a room with no familiarity. Plus, it'll be easier to just have easy access to classes and libraries without the commute.

User avatar
NYU_Ugrad_Paralegal
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:53 am

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby NYU_Ugrad_Paralegal » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:55 pm

Theopliske8711 wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:Man, as someone who has absolutely zero familiarity with NYC, all this talk of variability among neighborhoods really has me not looking forward to the housing search. If I do end up here, I may just go with student housing only to avoid having to find an apartment and navigate a market I know nothing about.


I'd prolly recommend this for the first year. Get familiar with the city first and then find a place. It's difficult as it is even while living in NYC; I couldn't imagine looking for a room with no familiarity. Plus, it'll be easier to just have easy access to classes and libraries without the commute.


I'd have to agree somewhat, though the advantages of having your own place are tremendous compared with university housing (cost alone being a significant factor). It is tiring, but IMO the housing search isn't as difficult as most make it out. It can be a quick process, but you must be vigilant and literally go look at new places EVERY DAY (usually 5-6 a day, if not more) until you find one that suites your needs, and then once you do you need to close on it ASAP. Having a broker helps significantly, and its usually possible to work them down to somewhere between 9-12%.

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby lawschool22 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:59 pm

NYU_Ugrad_Paralegal wrote:
Theopliske8711 wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:Man, as someone who has absolutely zero familiarity with NYC, all this talk of variability among neighborhoods really has me not looking forward to the housing search. If I do end up here, I may just go with student housing only to avoid having to find an apartment and navigate a market I know nothing about.


I'd prolly recommend this for the first year. Get familiar with the city first and then find a place. It's difficult as it is even while living in NYC; I couldn't imagine looking for a room with no familiarity. Plus, it'll be easier to just have easy access to classes and libraries without the commute.


I'd have to agree somewhat, though the advantages of having your own place are tremendous compared with university housing (cost alone being a significant factor). It is tiring, but IMO the housing search isn't as difficult as most make it out. It can be a quick process, but you must be vigilant and literally go look at new places EVERY DAY (usually 5-6 a day, if not more) until you find one that suites your needs, and then once you do you need to close on it ASAP. Having a broker helps significantly, and its usually possible to work them down to somewhere between 9-12%.


The problem is this type of search (looking at multiple places every day) isn't really possible for someone from out of state with a full-time job.

User avatar
NYU_Ugrad_Paralegal
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:53 am

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby NYU_Ugrad_Paralegal » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:03 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
NYU_Ugrad_Paralegal wrote:
Theopliske8711 wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:Man, as someone who has absolutely zero familiarity with NYC, all this talk of variability among neighborhoods really has me not looking forward to the housing search. If I do end up here, I may just go with student housing only to avoid having to find an apartment and navigate a market I know nothing about.


I'd prolly recommend this for the first year. Get familiar with the city first and then find a place. It's difficult as it is even while living in NYC; I couldn't imagine looking for a room with no familiarity. Plus, it'll be easier to just have easy access to classes and libraries without the commute.


I'd have to agree somewhat, though the advantages of having your own place are tremendous compared with university housing (cost alone being a significant factor). It is tiring, but IMO the housing search isn't as difficult as most make it out. It can be a quick process, but you must be vigilant and literally go look at new places EVERY DAY (usually 5-6 a day, if not more) until you find one that suites your needs, and then once you do you need to close on it ASAP. Having a broker helps significantly, and its usually possible to work them down to somewhere between 9-12%.


The problem is this type of search (looking at multiple places every day) isn't really possible for someone from out of state with a full-time job.


The idea wasn't that you try and do it from abroad. You would have to come here and either stay with a friend, in a hotel, or in a hostel until you can find a suitable place. It isn't ideal, but thousands do it. Alternatively, the suggestion to just live in university housing if you can afford it is not a bad one for the first year.

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby lawschool22 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:06 pm

Does anyone know if there is a NYU Facebook group set up yet? I didn't see a reference to one in any of the materials I have received.

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby lawschool22 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:09 pm

NYU_Ugrad_Paralegal wrote:The idea wasn't that you try and do it from abroad. You would have to come here and either stay with a friend, in a hotel, or in a hostel until you can find a suitable place. It isn't ideal, but thousands do it. Alternatively, the suggestion to just live in university housing if you can afford it is not a bad one for the first year.


Yeah, that makes sense. I'll have to weigh the advantages/disadvantages, because this would mean leaving my job sooner, which, when you account for the lost income + expense of the hotel/hostel for this type of search, it may be cheaper to just take NYU housing and stay at work longer. But at the same time I have been out of university housing for 5+ years and I'm not eager to go back :D

User avatar
NYU_Ugrad_Paralegal
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:53 am

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby NYU_Ugrad_Paralegal » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:12 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
NYU_Ugrad_Paralegal wrote:The idea wasn't that you try and do it from abroad. You would have to come here and either stay with a friend, in a hotel, or in a hostel until you can find a suitable place. It isn't ideal, but thousands do it. Alternatively, the suggestion to just live in university housing if you can afford it is not a bad one for the first year.


Yeah, that makes sense. I'll have to weigh the advantages/disadvantages, because this would mean leaving my job sooner, which, when you account for the lost income + expense of the hotel/hostel for this type of search, it may be cheaper to just take NYU housing and stay at work longer. But at the same time I have been out of university housing for 5+ years and I'm not eager to go back :D


Regarding your avatar:

"I...declare...BANKRUPTSEEEEEEEAAAYYYYYYYYY!!!"

User avatar
koalacity
Posts: 1162
Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:56 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby koalacity » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:14 pm

lawschool22 wrote:Does anyone know if there is a NYU Facebook group set up yet? I didn't see a reference to one in any of the materials I have received.

Wondering this as well.

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Postby lawschool22 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:27 pm

NYU_Ugrad_Paralegal wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:
NYU_Ugrad_Paralegal wrote:The idea wasn't that you try and do it from abroad. You would have to come here and either stay with a friend, in a hotel, or in a hostel until you can find a suitable place. It isn't ideal, but thousands do it. Alternatively, the suggestion to just live in university housing if you can afford it is not a bad one for the first year.


Yeah, that makes sense. I'll have to weigh the advantages/disadvantages, because this would mean leaving my job sooner, which, when you account for the lost income + expense of the hotel/hostel for this type of search, it may be cheaper to just take NYU housing and stay at work longer. But at the same time I have been out of university housing for 5+ years and I'm not eager to go back :D


Regarding your avatar:

"I...declare...BANKRUPTSEEEEEEEAAAYYYYYYYYY!!!"


Classic Michael Scott :D




Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests