NYU Class of 2017 - We are real 1Ls now

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
EquallyWrong

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - Old Photos in OP!

Postby EquallyWrong » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:33 pm

OMAR_COMIN_YO wrote:
barrelofmonkeys wrote:
OMAR_COMIN_YO wrote:Congratulations on your acceptance to NYU Law! We would like to offer you $7.00 USD over three years. We know law school is a big investment, but that private sector job will make you MILLIONS! AMIRITE?! Otherwise, just discharge that shit with LRAP! Complimentary ring pop if you deposit within the next 20 minutes!

Your Bro,

THE Schnoenecker

Did you just receive news, or are you more generally ir8?
ETA: I lol'd.

The latter. I got more than $0, so I can't complain compared to some others here, but with my UG debt this whole law school thing is really gonna f*ck me financially. Maybe I'm into econo-masochism?

Be sure to ask about the flavor of the ring pop before you do anything rash. A friend of mine negotiated up from grape to watermelon.
People have been known to hire financial dominatrixes, you know, so you might be on to something.

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:36 pm

OMAR_COMIN_YO wrote:Congratulations on your acceptance to NYU Law! We would like to offer you $7.00 USD over three years. We know law school is a big investment, but that private sector job will make you MILLIONS! AMIRITE?! Otherwise, just discharge that shit with LRAP! Complimentary ring pop if you deposit within the next 20 minutes!

Your Bro,

THE Schnoenecker

legit lol'd at the 7$

OMAR_COMIN_YO

Postby OMAR_COMIN_YO » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:36 pm

EquallyWrong wrote:
OMAR_COMIN_YO wrote:
barrelofmonkeys wrote:

Your Bro,

THE Schnoenecker

Did you just receive news, or are you more generally ir8?
ETA: I lol'd.

The latter. I got more than $0, so I can't complain compared to some others here, but with my UG debt this whole law school thing is really gonna f*ck me financially. Maybe I'm into econo-masochism?

Be sure to ask about the flavor of the ring pop before you do anything rash. A friend of mine negotiated up from grape to watermelon.
People have been known to hire financial dominatrixes, you know, so you might be on to something.

The safe word is "foreclosure."

waferthinmint

Postby waferthinmint » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:38 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:

Your Bro,

THE Schnoenecker

legit lol'd at the 7$

:lol: MILLIONS$$$$$$.

Marshmallow

Postby Marshmallow » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:50 pm

Your Bro,

THE Schnoenecker

While I, too, am LOLing hard, I want to add this for additional amusement: Berkeley ACTUALLY DID offer me a whopping $147 for the 2014-2015 academic year, split over two semesters. I was notified of this finaid award (matching scholarship was denied) through an email that ended with LRAP (!) info and: "We hope that this grant along with our other financial aid programs will make attending Berkeley Law financially feasible for you."

so, uh, yeah.

:lol:

Theopliske8711

Postby Theopliske8711 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:53 pm

Withdrew just now. Good luck with everyone else. Hopefully this will release some money for the rest who want to go. We will likely be law school neighbors, so perhaps we can make a CLS/NYU meet-up at some point.

barrelofmonkeys

Postby barrelofmonkeys » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:54 pm

Theopliske8711 wrote:Withdrew just now. Good luck with everyone else. Hopefully this will release some money for the rest who want to go.

i hoap so too
bye theo :(

Arrow4Christ

Postby Arrow4Christ » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:01 pm

Theopliske8711 wrote:Withdrew just now. Good luck with everyone else. Hopefully this will release some money for the rest who want to go. We will likely be law school neighbors, so perhaps we can make a CLS/NYU meet-up at some point.

Good luck, Theo! There was no wrong decision in your case, and I'm sure you'll have excellent prospects at CLS :mrgreen: I'm definitely a bit jealous because I became enamored with NYC in my short time there :roll:

Theopliske8711

Postby Theopliske8711 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:03 pm

Arrow4Christ wrote:
Theopliske8711 wrote:Withdrew just now. Good luck with everyone else. Hopefully this will release some money for the rest who want to go. We will likely be law school neighbors, so perhaps we can make a CLS/NYU meet-up at some point.

Good luck, Theo! There was no wrong decision in your case, and I'm sure you'll have excellent prospects at CLS :mrgreen: I'm definitely a bit jealous because I became enamored with NYC in my short time there :roll:

Enjoy Cambridge!

Postby 03152016 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:15 pm

kkdk wrote:relevant

Funny, read a blurb on him last night - --LinkRemoved--

Grats on CLS dude, good luck!

kkdk

Postby kkdk » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:13 am

Good luck to you too Theo, enjoy the Heights!

barrelofmonkeys

Postby barrelofmonkeys » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:26 pm

ohmygosh get it over with already, nyu

OMAR_COMIN_YO

Postby OMAR_COMIN_YO » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:42 pm

barrelofmonkeys wrote:ohmygosh get it over with already, nyu

Appeal?

barrelofmonkeys

Postby barrelofmonkeys » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:43 pm

OMAR_COMIN_YO wrote:

Appeal?

yeah. i need them to rip off the bandaid that is my NYU hopes&dreams.

OMAR_COMIN_YO

Postby OMAR_COMIN_YO » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:47 pm

barrelofmonkeys wrote:
OMAR_COMIN_YO wrote:

Appeal?

Got my fingers cross for ya, dewd.

barrelofmonkeys

Postby barrelofmonkeys » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:49 pm

OMAR_COMIN_YO wrote:
barrelofmonkeys wrote:
OMAR_COMIN_YO wrote:

Appeal?

Got my fingers cross for ya, dewd.

: D thank you

politics89

Postby politics89 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:50 pm

Just officially turned down all my monies. Hope its passed on!!

checkers

Postby checkers » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:02 pm

politics89 wrote:Just officially turned down all my monies. Hope its passed on!!

Dibbs!

musharraf

Postby musharraf » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:12 pm

BuddyHoller wrote:
FisterRoboto wrote:Just WL'ed at Columbia, so I'm definitely depositing at NYU, which was (sincerely) my first choice anyway.

For those more active on the board, is there any prevailing wisdom that waiting to deposit might lead to an increase in scholarship $$?? I don't really have any good competing offers due to severely underapplying, which obviously means that an increase is very unlikely, but if there's a small chance, I might as well hold out for it.

Anyway, FUCK YEAH NYU. Sorry for all y'all who are stuck with me next year. :)

edit: Also, should I even bother appealing without any good competing offers? I don't want them to affronted by my presumptuousness. I would prefer to avoid "difficult" being written in my file.

In a very similar situation and asking myself many of these same questions. Anyone's thoughts would be very helpful.

Bumping this. I'm about 95% sure I'm enrolling at NYU, but curious about how depositing will affect their financial aid determination (if at all).

tlsapp2017

Postby tlsapp2017 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:31 pm

I just withdrew as well. Very difficult decision, but I hope that some of you get my scholarship $$ and good luck with everything! Maybe we'll have a CLS/NYU meet-up at some point next year?

SFrost

Postby SFrost » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:19 pm

My observationally-biased and anecdotal reading of the Chi/Columbia/NYU threads indicates that many people are turning down NYU for Columbia but very little in the other direction.

Would a fair conclusion be that NYU is overvaluing itself and needs to give out more money?

nothingtosee

Postby nothingtosee » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:26 pm

SFrost wrote:My observationally-biased and anecdotal reading of the Chi/Columbia/NYU threads indicates that many people are turning down NYU for Columbia but very little in the other direction.

Would a fair conclusion be that NYU is overvaluing itself and needs to give out more money?

I get the feeling that nyu selects a broader swath, tells more people to pay sticker, and is content getting students whose parents don't blink at the price.

jdapplicant

Postby jdapplicant » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:29 pm

SFrost wrote:My observationally-biased and anecdotal reading of the Chi/Columbia/NYU threads indicates that many people are turning down NYU for Columbia but very little in the other direction.

I think it's more about endowment size than overvaluation, which is unfortunate for negotiators ITT.

fivestarfolds

Postby fivestarfolds » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:19 pm

I know that I'm risking a lot of ire by posting this...but...

this video is one of the better law revue videos that I've seen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlfZcRazli0

Will you guys still like me if I enjoyed this???

Postby 03152016 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:25 pm

fivestarfolds wrote:I know that I'm risking a lot of ire by posting this...but...

this video is one of the better law revue videos that I've seen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlfZcRazli0

Will you guys still like me if I enjoyed this???

Posted on the last page. But yeah, it's really good.

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”