NYU Class of 2017 - We are real 1Ls now

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
User avatar
zen
Posts: 77
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:31 am

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - Old Photos in OP!

Postby zen » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:57 pm

lawschool22 wrote:I am falling in love with NYU, everyone...


Dude, me too and I am an NYU hater.

fivestarfolds
Posts: 537
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - Old Photos in OP!

Postby fivestarfolds » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:18 pm

zen wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:I am falling in love with NYU, everyone...


Dude, me too and I am an NYU hater.

What's been great so far? I feel like I'm making my decision to attend simply based on rankings and other life factors. I am eager to hear what sets it apart from places like Columbia and Duke.

Theopliske8711
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:21 am

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - Old Photos in OP!

Postby Theopliske8711 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:59 pm

I really like the school's presentation so far, and I love the nyu building, but there has been nothing that would away me from CLS at this point. The schools have been very similar, with exception to NYU's providing more "powerful alumni," which seems a bit trying. Overall, i don't think you'll regret the school, but I will likely stick with CLS.

I liked the panel with Katz.

Outside of that, just left the financing law school presentation and really noticed the heart drop from the peoples' faces when the COA was show.

User avatar
tlsapp2017
Posts: 205
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:14 am

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - Old Photos in OP!

Postby tlsapp2017 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:14 pm

Theopliske8711 wrote:I really like the school's presentation so far, and I love the nyu building, but there has been nothing that would away me from CLS at this point. The schools have been very similar, with exception to NYU's providing more "powerful alumni," which seems a bit trying. Overall, i don't think you'll regret the school, but I will likely stick with CLS.

I liked the panel with Katz.

Outside of that, just left the financing law school presentation and really noticed the heart drop from the peoples' faces when the COA was show.


As far as I can tell, one advantage NYU seems to have is that both their administration, and perhaps more importantly, their career service offices seem to have more personal relationships with the students. I got the sense at NYU that the entire administration would go out of its way to work with you and help you, and I definitely didn't get that sense at Columbia. Then again, Columbia will have a new Dean next year, so who knows what the culture will be like from that aspect over the next 3 years.

Edit: also the fact that NYU has required mock interviews where they video tape and then critique you is pretty awesome.

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - Old Photos in OP!

Postby lawschool22 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:58 pm

For me more than anything else what has sold me was my interaction with current students. They were so welcoming, down to earth, and seemed like wonderfully intelligent, "normal" people. At this caliber of school we all know much of the decision hinges on fit (assuming similar costs) and I "clicked" with NYU more than any other school.

Theopliske8711
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:21 am

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - Old Photos in OP!

Postby Theopliske8711 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:17 pm

Yea, I think that was the case with both NYU and CLS. A lot less aspy than I would have imagined. They are all down to earth nice people. Honestly, I don't think that there is a wrong answer. NYU is a fantastic place to be.

muzzy
Posts: 488
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:01 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - Old Photos in OP!

Postby muzzy » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:30 pm

.
Last edited by muzzy on Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
kkdk
Posts: 136
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:03 am

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - Old Photos in OP!

Postby kkdk » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:06 am

muzzy wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:For me more than anything else what has sold me was my interaction with current students. They were so welcoming, down to earth, and seemed like wonderfully intelligent, "normal" people. At this caliber of school we all know much of the decision hinges on fit (assuming similar costs) and I "clicked" with NYU more than any other school.
Exactly how I felt. Barring getting off waitlists or a surprise acceptance from Stanford, NYU is where I'll be.



Same here, I got the impression at the student organization dinners during the March ASW that current students were genuinely excited for me to come to NYU and like LS22 said, they all had that warm combination of being level-headed despite their accomplishments and ambitions. And I happen to notice a great many of them had a good sense of humour, which for me is a huge plus in any school environment. Also, Dean Morrison is Canadian so I'm hoping that means a lot more 'sorrys' and maple syrup at special events :lol:

musicdiplomacy
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:20 am

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - Old Photos in OP!

Postby musicdiplomacy » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:48 pm

Hey fellow admits. For those who submitted their $600 seat deposit... did anyone get an email with their Net ID and university number? I just got impatient after waiting 10+ days and sorta stumbled on it in the ASW. Just want to make sure I'm not missing any other emails with valuable info...

jdapplicant
Posts: 251
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:05 am

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - Old Photos in OP!

Postby jdapplicant » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:46 pm

Theopliske8711 wrote:Yea, I think that was the case with both NYU and CLS. A lot less aspy than I would have imagined. They are all down to earth nice people. Honestly, I don't think that there is a wrong answer. NYU is a fantastic place to be.


+1

Also, pretty excited to get an initial offer of over 100k from NYU this week! It happened to be on the first day of CLS' ASP.

User avatar
SFrost
Posts: 373
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:32 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - Old Photos in OP!

Postby SFrost » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:46 pm

musicdiplomacy wrote:Hey fellow admits. For those who submitted their $600 seat deposit... did anyone get an email with their Net ID and university number? I just got impatient after waiting 10+ days and sorta stumbled on it in the ASW. Just want to make sure I'm not missing any other emails with valuable info...


So wait did you receive your id? I deposited over a week ago and haven't gotten mine yet. I guess it doesn't matter I'm just excited to get it

User avatar
mylifeis24
Posts: 323
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:23 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - Old Photos in OP!

Postby mylifeis24 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:37 am

lawschool22 wrote:For me more than anything else what has sold me was my interaction with current students. They were so welcoming, down to earth, and seemed like wonderfully intelligent, "normal" people. At this caliber of school we all know much of the decision hinges on fit (assuming similar costs) and I "clicked" with NYU more than any other school.


+1. Really hoping they give me something more than $0 from my appeal, especially with $90K from CLS. I really enjoyed Columbia, but I clicked at NYU.

musicdiplomacy
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:20 am

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - Old Photos in OP!

Postby musicdiplomacy » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:31 am

SFrost wrote:
musicdiplomacy wrote:Hey fellow admits. For those who submitted their $600 seat deposit... did anyone get an email with their Net ID and university number? I just got impatient after waiting 10+ days and sorta stumbled on it in the ASW. Just want to make sure I'm not missing any other emails with valuable info...


So wait did you receive your id? I deposited over a week ago and haven't gotten mine yet. I guess it doesn't matter I'm just excited to get it


Received it, but not in email. Just went back to the admitted students website and found it: http://www.law.nyu.edu/admittedstudents/universityids --> click on Obtain Your Net ID and University ID near the bottom (after submitting the seat deposit). Your IDs should come up in the next screen. :)

Theopliske8711
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:21 am

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - Old Photos in OP!

Postby Theopliske8711 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:42 am

Btw, did anyone find Kleinrock to be obnoxiously sycophantic during the panel hosted by George Katz? "The earth has stopped turning with these people here." I get it, dude, NYU Law has produced some fantastically powerful people, but lol @ the world ceasing its rotation because the general counsel of Estee Lauder is away from her office.

fivestarfolds
Posts: 537
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - Old Photos in OP!

Postby fivestarfolds » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:27 am

Theopliske8711 wrote:Btw, did anyone find Kleinrock to be obnoxiously sycophantic during the panel hosted by George Katz? "The earth has stopped turning with these people here." I get it, dude, NYU Law has produced some fantastically powerful people, but lol @ the world ceasing its rotation because the general counsel of Estee Lauder is away from her office.

Theo, I love your running semi-cynical commentary. It adds a little spice to the thread. I hope you choose NYU dude.

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - Old Photos in OP!

Postby lawschool22 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:29 am

Theopliske8711 wrote:Btw, did anyone find Kleinrock to be obnoxiously sycophantic during the panel hosted by George Katz? "The earth has stopped turning with these people here." I get it, dude, NYU Law has produced some fantastically powerful people, but lol @ the world ceasing its rotation because the general counsel of Estee Lauder is away from her office.


It is what it is. That's how the game is played. He wants them to come back, wants their donations, etc. A little ego stroking helps get that done. Any industry as obsessed with prestige as this one is going to have that, so we better get used to it lol

Eta: Also it was David Katz; George is dead I believe. Just didn't want you getting them mixed up if you ever met him in person! :D

Theopliske8711
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:21 am

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - Old Photos in OP!

Postby Theopliske8711 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:33 am

Eta: Also it was David Katz; George is dead I believe. Just didn't want you getting them mixed up if you ever met him in person! :D


Right. Yea.


LS22: Did the ASD make things more complicated for you? Have you received word from NYU for the appeal? I am still waiting on mine, and have sent them an email asking when I can expect to hear, since it's almost scholarship acceptance time.

User avatar
SFrost
Posts: 373
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:32 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - Old Photos in OP!

Postby SFrost » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:37 pm

musicdiplomacy wrote:
SFrost wrote:
musicdiplomacy wrote:Hey fellow admits. For those who submitted their $600 seat deposit... did anyone get an email with their Net ID and university number? I just got impatient after waiting 10+ days and sorta stumbled on it in the ASW. Just want to make sure I'm not missing any other emails with valuable info...


So wait did you receive your id? I deposited over a week ago and haven't gotten mine yet. I guess it doesn't matter I'm just excited to get it


Received it, but not in email. Just went back to the admitted students website and found it: http://www.law.nyu.edu/admittedstudents/universityids --> click on Obtain Your Net ID and University ID near the bottom (after submitting the seat deposit). Your IDs should come up in the next screen. :)


Oh ok, mine still says not created :cry:

Been about 10 days.

User avatar
Mack.Hambleton
Posts: 5417
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:09 am

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - Old Photos in OP!

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:57 pm

how long after submitting need access did you guys get your merit offers? I have a deposit deadline on the 21st :0

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - Old Photos in OP!

Postby lawschool22 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:39 pm

Theopliske8711 wrote:
Eta: Also it was David Katz; George is dead I believe. Just didn't want you getting them mixed up if you ever met him in person! :D


Right. Yea.


LS22: Did the ASD make things more complicated for you? Have you received word from NYU for the appeal? I am still waiting on mine, and have sent them an email asking when I can expect to hear, since it's almost scholarship acceptance time.


It definitely complicated things. I loved it, but I just don't think I can justify it at the current price. I am hoping they increase my award.

User avatar
whippersnappery
Posts: 173
Joined: Sat May 05, 2012 10:19 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - Old Photos in OP!

Postby whippersnappery » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:42 am

Are any other IILJ people still waiting?

Theopliske8711
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:21 am

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - Old Photos in OP!

Postby Theopliske8711 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:48 am

Just got my appeal from NYU. My award has been hiked to 85.5K. C'mon NYU, you couldn't just make it even with CLS?

User avatar
Catherinelo365
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:56 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - Old Photos in OP!

Postby Catherinelo365 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:00 pm

Still haven't heard anything about $ since the end of Feb! Should I email the financial aid office and ask?

Theopliske8711
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:21 am

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - Old Photos in OP!

Postby Theopliske8711 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:06 pm

Catherinelo365 wrote:Still haven't heard anything about $ since the end of Feb! Should I email the financial aid office and ask?


I did.

User avatar
waferthinmint
Posts: 337
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:57 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - Old Photos in OP!

Postby waferthinmint » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:09 pm

tlsapp2017 wrote:
As far as I can tell, one advantage NYU seems to have is that both their administration, and perhaps more importantly, their career service offices seem to have more personal relationships with the students. I got the sense at NYU that the entire administration would go out of its way to work with you and help you, and I definitely didn't get that sense at Columbia. Then again, Columbia will have a new Dean next year, so who knows what the culture will be like from that aspect over the next 3 years.

Edit: also the fact that NYU has required mock interviews where they video tape and then critique you is pretty awesome.


Totes agreed with this.




Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests