NYU Class of 2017 - We are real 1Ls now

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
Theopliske8711
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:21 am

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - New Photos in OP!

Postby Theopliske8711 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:52 pm

wealtheow wrote:Just received mine as well, and while I am appreciative of the merit aid I did receive, I'm a little shocked by the gap. I was hoping at age 28 they wouldn't be considering my (divorced) parents' income so much, particularly the parent to whom I don't speak. I think NYU may be out of the cards now :(


You can appeal.

User avatar
nothingtosee
Posts: 865
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 12:08 am

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - New Photos in OP!

Postby nothingtosee » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:52 pm

Gah got my fin aid email but can't view the award because my phone won't read flash.

User avatar
wealtheow
Posts: 1034
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - New Photos in OP!

Postby wealtheow » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:58 pm

Theopliske8711 wrote:
wealtheow wrote:Just received mine as well, and while I am appreciative of the merit aid I did receive, I'm a little shocked by the gap. I was hoping at age 28 they wouldn't be considering my (divorced) parents' income so much, particularly the parent to whom I don't speak. I think NYU may be out of the cards now :(


You can appeal.


i know. it's just unpleasant always having to divulge the home situation to these aid offices. it was a nightmare in undergrad, and i feel a little old to be still talking about "mommy and daddy's divorce." i'd prefer to bare my soul to as few offices as possible, haha.

fivestarfolds
Posts: 537
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - New Photos in OP!

Postby fivestarfolds » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:31 pm

Still nothing on my end. I can empathize with those who don't want to disclose info about their parents. For me it's more a matter of not telling everyone how broke my family is. It's really none of their business what's in my parents bank account.

User avatar
nothingtosee
Posts: 865
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 12:08 am

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - New Photos in OP!

Postby nothingtosee » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:50 pm

50k

Median GPA, >75 LSAT

Not bummed, but I would need it bumped a bit to make NYU a responsible financial decision...

Edit:

Playing around with the Georgetown calculator, I'm a bit confused. It says that 83k would be forgiven over ten years...even on a big law salary? That can't be true.

Also, JESUS CHRIST I'M GONNA BE 400K IN DEBT
Last edited by nothingtosee on Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Theopliske8711
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:21 am

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - New Photos in OP!

Postby Theopliske8711 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:53 pm

wealtheow wrote:
Theopliske8711 wrote:
wealtheow wrote:Just received mine as well, and while I am appreciative of the merit aid I did receive, I'm a little shocked by the gap. I was hoping at age 28 they wouldn't be considering my (divorced) parents' income so much, particularly the parent to whom I don't speak. I think NYU may be out of the cards now :(


You can appeal.


i know. it's just unpleasant always having to divulge the home situation to these aid offices. it was a nightmare in undergrad, and i feel a little old to be still talking about "mommy and daddy's divorce." i'd prefer to bare my soul to as few offices as possible, haha.


I hate it as well, and I currently work in an office where I have to ask people precisely that.

User avatar
whippersnappery
Posts: 173
Joined: Sat May 05, 2012 10:19 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - New Photos in OP!

Postby whippersnappery » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:09 pm

For those who are getting scholly offers, when did you go under final review for financial aid? I've been in the final stage of review for about a month. :?

User avatar
FuriousDuck
Posts: 507
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:33 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - New Photos in OP!

Postby FuriousDuck » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:34 pm

...
Last edited by FuriousDuck on Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
drawstring
Posts: 1933
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:52 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - New Photos in OP!

Postby drawstring » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:35 pm

I blame the waiting

User avatar
charlie.black
Posts: 164
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:11 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - New Photos in OP!

Postby charlie.black » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:13 pm

Dean's scholly award -- 100k. Above 75th's.

Hooray for NYU!

User avatar
SFrost
Posts: 373
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:32 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - New Photos in OP!

Postby SFrost » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:13 pm

fivestarfolds wrote:Still nothing on my end. I can empathize with those who don't want to disclose info about their parents. For me it's more a matter of not telling everyone how broke my family is. It's really none of their business what's in my parents bank account.


It's a matter of giving need-based aid to those who actually need it. Cycle of poverty and all that. You don't think they should try to give aid to people from impoverished backgrounds over people who have never held a job and receive monthly allowances from daddy?

User avatar
drawstring
Posts: 1933
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:52 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - New Photos in OP!

Postby drawstring » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:19 pm

charlie.black wrote:Dean's scholly award -- 100k. Above 75th's.

Hooray for NYU!


Congrats!

simba93
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:34 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - New Photos in OP!

Postby simba93 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:22 pm

Checking in!

How do we apply for financial aid at NYU and is there a deadline?

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - New Photos in OP!

Postby lawschool22 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:23 pm

nothingtosee wrote:50k

Median GPA, >75 LSAT

Not bummed, but I would need it bumped a bit to make NYU a responsible financial decision...

Edit:

Playing around with the Georgetown calculator, I'm a bit confused. It says that 83k would be forgiven over ten years...even on a big law salary? That can't be true.

Also, JESUS CHRIST I'M GONNA BE 400K IN DEBT


How are you getting $400k? There has to be something off there.

User avatar
charlie.black
Posts: 164
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:11 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - New Photos in OP!

Postby charlie.black » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:25 pm

drawstring wrote:
charlie.black wrote:Dean's scholly award -- 100k. Above 75th's.

Hooray for NYU!


Congrats!


Thanks draw :)

User avatar
wealtheow
Posts: 1034
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - New Photos in OP!

Postby wealtheow » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:48 pm

Theopliske8711 wrote:
wealtheow wrote:i know. it's just unpleasant always having to divulge the home situation to these aid offices. it was a nightmare in undergrad, and i feel a little old to be still talking about "mommy and daddy's divorce." i'd prefer to bare my soul to as few offices as possible, haha.


I hate it as well, and I currently work in an office where I have to ask people precisely that.


believe it or not, i have to do the same thing at work, haha... i guess a small part of me was in denial and hoping i wouldn't have to write a letter. oh well! thanks for helping me put it in perspective (whether you meant to or not :) )

User avatar
nothingtosee
Posts: 865
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 12:08 am

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - New Photos in OP!

Postby nothingtosee » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:54 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
nothingtosee wrote:50k

Median GPA, >75 LSAT

Not bummed, but I would need it bumped a bit to make NYU a responsible financial decision...

Edit:

Playing around with the Georgetown calculator, I'm a bit confused. It says that 83k would be forgiven over ten years...even on a big law salary? That can't be true.

Also, JESUS CHRIST I'M GONNA BE 400K IN DEBT


How are you getting $400k? There has to be something off there.


High 5 digits from undergrad. American dream, etc

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - New Photos in OP!

Postby lawschool22 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:01 pm

nothingtosee wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:
nothingtosee wrote:50k

Median GPA, >75 LSAT

Not bummed, but I would need it bumped a bit to make NYU a responsible financial decision...

Edit:

Playing around with the Georgetown calculator, I'm a bit confused. It says that 83k would be forgiven over ten years...even on a big law salary? That can't be true.

Also, JESUS CHRIST I'M GONNA BE 400K IN DEBT


How are you getting $400k? There has to be something off there.


High 5 digits from undergrad. American dream, etc


Yikes :shock: . That's scary. This is why I tell people to go to state schools. I wish you all the best though!

User avatar
graphia
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:00 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - New Photos in OP!

Postby graphia » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:30 pm

charlie.black wrote:Dean's scholly award -- 100k. Above 75th's.

Hooray for NYU!

Congrats!

Theopliske8711
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:21 am

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - New Photos in OP!

Postby Theopliske8711 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:13 pm

I wonder when they start looking at appeals. I'm hopin that as soon as they go through the current scholly' they will begin with appeals.

User avatar
Nonconsecutive
Posts: 2249
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - New Photos in OP!

Postby Nonconsecutive » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:21 pm

charlie.black wrote:Dean's scholly award -- 100k. Above 75th's.

Hooray for NYU!


Nice, congrats! :)

User avatar
charlie.black
Posts: 164
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:11 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - New Photos in OP!

Postby charlie.black » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:12 pm

Thanks all :D

User avatar
BobbyHTT12
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:34 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - New Photos in OP!

Postby BobbyHTT12 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:49 am

Perhaps this has been asked before or should be obvious, so forgive me. I submitted my FAFSA/Need Access to NYU as well as other schools in early Feb. I applied in mid Jan, missing the deadlines for the named scholarships, and was accepted last week via phone.

Aside from FAFSA/Need Access, does NYU need anything else from me in order to be considered for institutional need or merit aid? Other schools have required additional scholarship application forms. The admitted students website does not indicate any additional form is required. Is it just wait and see after the decision for folks like me? Or, are extra steps required?

I take it the status checker discussion on this thread refers only to the named scholarships (e.g., Furman, RTK)?

User avatar
barrelofmonkeys
Posts: 1906
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:41 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - New Photos in OP!

Postby barrelofmonkeys » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:41 am

BobbyHTT12 wrote:Perhaps this has been asked before or should be obvious, so forgive me. I submitted my FAFSA/Need Access to NYU as well as other schools in early Feb. I applied in mid Jan, missing the deadlines for the named scholarships, and was accepted last week via phone.

Aside from FAFSA/Need Access, does NYU need anything else from me in order to be considered for institutional need or merit aid? Other schools have required additional scholarship application forms. The admitted students website does not indicate any additional form is required. Is it just wait and see after the decision for folks like me? Or, are extra steps required?

I take it the status checker discussion on this thread refers only to the named scholarships (e.g., Furman, RTK)?


https://faaps.law.nyu.edu/studentmain.html
is where you can check your financial aid status
it has nothing to do with named schollies
it sounds like you've done everything, so if you aren't under review / final review, might be worth checking into

User avatar
BobbyHTT12
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:34 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - New Photos in OP!

Postby BobbyHTT12 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:03 am

barrelofmonkeys wrote:
BobbyHTT12 wrote:Perhaps this has been asked before or should be obvious, so forgive me. I submitted my FAFSA/Need Access to NYU as well as other schools in early Feb. I applied in mid Jan, missing the deadlines for the named scholarships, and was accepted last week via phone.

Aside from FAFSA/Need Access, does NYU need anything else from me in order to be considered for institutional need or merit aid? Other schools have required additional scholarship application forms. The admitted students website does not indicate any additional form is required. Is it just wait and see after the decision for folks like me? Or, are extra steps required?

I take it the status checker discussion on this thread refers only to the named scholarships (e.g., Furman, RTK)?


https://faaps.law.nyu.edu/studentmain.html
is where you can check your financial aid status
it has nothing to do with named schollies
it sounds like you've done everything, so if you aren't under review / final review, might be worth checking into


Thanks! This is precisely what I needed to know.




Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest