NYU Class of 2017 - Basically graduated Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
NYU_Ugrad_Paralegal

New

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Post by NYU_Ugrad_Paralegal » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:32 pm

midwest17 wrote:Locals: there's been lots of awesome advice here, but it's a little tough to sort and parse. If you wouldn't mind... How much should I realistically expect to spend for a 1 bedroom large enough for two people, in a relatively safe neighborhood with a 30 min or less commute to NYU?
Here we go again...hahaha.

The answer is: it depends on where you live as the prices vary not just from neighborhood to neighborhood but from building to building. Pick a neighborhood that you like and that is within your price range in terms of its average rent, and go from there.

cotiger

Gold

Post by cotiger » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:33 pm

midwest17 wrote:Locals: there's been lots of awesome advice here, but it's a little tough to sort and parse. If you wouldn't mind... How much should I realistically expect to spend for a 1 bedroom large enough for two people, in a relatively safe neighborhood with a 30 min or less commute to NYU?
The cheapest 30 min commute is going to be E Williamsburg/Bushwick. You can find studios for as low as 1200 or 1BRs for 1500. The next cheapest 30 minute locations such as Gowanus are going to be a couple hundred more.

But don't be afraid of splitting a 2BR or 3BR! Everyone does it, it'll save you a bunch of cash, and it'll drastically expand your possible locations. Besides, people in NYC don't tend to be home very often, so it's not like they're going to be in your hair.

Nowhere that's 30 min from NYU is unsafe.

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:01 pm

cotiger wrote:
The cheapest 30 min commute is going to be E Williamsburg/Bushwick. You can find studios for as low as 1200 or 1BRs for 1500. The next cheapest 30 minute locations such as Gowanus are going to be a couple hundred more.

But don't be afraid of splitting a 2BR or 3BR! Everyone does it, it'll save you a bunch of cash, and it'll drastically expand your possible locations. Besides, people in NYC don't tend to be home very often, so it's not like they're going to be in your hair.

Nowhere that's 30 min from NYU is unsafe.

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:38 pm

Last edited by 03152016 on Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

erik the viking

New

Post by erik the viking » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:05 am

Those maps are amazing. Where to live is the top thing on my mind too, now that I've been accepted.

I grew up in the city (Williamsburg) and am now moving back for NYU law after 5 years in the wilderness. Rents are crazy. The lack of options on the poll makes me sad. Has anyone ever heard of students living in Staten Island. Maybe something in New Brighton, right by the ferry station. The ferry ride seems like the best of all worlds to me. Plus, If you bike to and from the terminal you don't have to pay for the subway. That's basically like $100 off rent if you factor expenses that way (forgive me, I don't know how much a monthly card is these days).

Look forward to meeting you all.

edit: google maps shows 46 min from new brighton to WSP by bike/ferry. It's a nice bike ride too, 90% on bike paths, right by the WTC park and the water.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cotiger

Gold

Post by cotiger » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:37 pm

erik the viking wrote:Those maps are amazing. Where to live is the top thing on my mind too, now that I've been accepted.

I grew up in the city (Williamsburg) and am now moving back for NYU law after 5 years in the wilderness. Rents are crazy. The lack of options on the poll makes me sad. Has anyone ever heard of students living in Staten Island. Maybe something in New Brighton, right by the ferry station. The ferry ride seems like the best of all worlds to me. Plus, If you bike to and from the terminal you don't have to pay for the subway. That's basically like $100 off rent if you factor expenses that way (forgive me, I don't know how much a monthly card is these days).

edit: google maps shows 46 min from new brighton to WSP by bike/ferry. It's a nice bike ride too, 90% on bike paths, right by the WTC park and the water.
I wouldn't recommend this. First of all, 46 minutes given by Google Maps for the whole distance does not seem to be accurate. I see 15 min bike ride from New Brighton to the terminal, say a 5 min wait, 25 min for the ferry, and 18 min bike ride from Whitehall to WSP. That's more like an hour. Also, because of the ferry, you're always going to be pretty stuck either far from home or far from where you want to be. And it's Staten Island.. just truly not somewhere you'd want to live. All of this and you wouldn't really be saving much money vs similarly distant options.

It seems like you're looking for a super cheap option ~45-50 min bike ride away, with a low value placed on surrounding neighborhood. In that case, I'd probably look in the eastern part of Bushwick, Bed-Stuy, Ridgewood, or Crown Heights. You can find a room in those areas for ~$650/mo. If you're not picky about housing quality, though, it is possible to go lower.

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:26 pm

Last edited by 03152016 on Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anciano

Bronze

Post by Anciano » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:35 pm

Congratulations to all of you! There's a thread here where a couple of us current students have been answering questions. We're in the middle of exams right now, but once they end in a week I'm sure a few of us are going to be bored. Also, the first few pages of that thread were mostly about housing.

erik the viking

New

Post by erik the viking » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:53 pm

cotiger wrote:
erik the viking wrote:Those maps are amazing. Where to live is the top thing on my mind too, now that I've been accepted.

I wouldn't recommend this. First of all, 46 minutes given by Google Maps for the whole distance does not seem to be accurate. I see 15 min bike ride from New Brighton to the terminal, say a 5 min wait, 25 min for the ferry, and 18 min bike ride from Whitehall to WSP. That's more like an hour. Also, because of the ferry, you're always going to be pretty stuck either far from home or far from where you want to be. And it's Staten Island.. just truly not somewhere you'd want to live. All of this and you wouldn't really be saving much money vs similarly distant options.

It seems like you're looking for a super cheap option ~45-50 min bike ride away, with a low value placed on surrounding neighborhood. In that case, I'd probably look in the eastern part of Bushwick, Bed-Stuy, Ridgewood, or Crown Heights. You can find a room in those areas for ~$650/mo. If you're not picky about housing quality, though, it is possible to go lower.
Thanks for the tip. I might have gone that route under different circumstances, but I probably should have mentioned that I have a wife and a daughter on the way. SI seems like a good compromise for someone with a family.

I've taken the ferry a few times and it's always struck me as one of New York's best kept secrets, a wonderful way to commute. You can read and study easily in the morning and watch the Statue of Liberty go by in the evening (with a beer in hand incidentally, if that's your thing).

There's not as much nightlife in SI, but there are nice parks and good, middle class, yet diverse, communities. Shopping and restaurants tend to be cheaper too.

I would have thought it anathema when I was right out of college too, but for students that have families, don't care as much about nightlife, or are just over the hipster thing, it could be ideal. That's why I thought to mention it. (Secretly, I want to convince all the non trad students to move there too so we can kick it on the ferry ride home. ;)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

paglababa

Silver

Post by paglababa » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:47 pm

Checking in! I already live in NYC but far away (hour commute to NYU). I am looking to move too but paying $1500+ to live in manhattan doesn't sound very feasible. I would love to get a 2 bed room apt somewhere in manhattan and pay $1200 each...

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:12 pm

How do people normally go about finding roommates? The Facebook group? Admitted Students Day? Just curious if anyone has thoughts on this.

cotiger

Gold

Post by cotiger » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:17 pm

erik the viking wrote:
cotiger wrote:

Thanks for the tip. I might have gone that route under different circumstances, but I probably should have mentioned that I have a wife and a daughter on the way. SI seems like a good compromise for someone with a family.

I've taken the ferry a few times and it's always struck me as one of New York's best kept secrets, a wonderful way to commute. You can read and study easily in the morning and watch the Statue of Liberty go by in the evening (with a beer in hand incidentally, if that's your thing).

There's not as much nightlife in SI, but there are nice parks and good, middle class, yet diverse, communities. Shopping and restaurants tend to be cheaper too.

I would have thought it anathema when I was right out of college too, but for students that have families, don't care as much about nightlife, or are just over the hipster thing, it could be ideal. That's why I thought to mention it. (Secretly, I want to convince all the non trad students to move there too so we can kick it on the ferry ride home. ;)
Yeah, my advice was premised on the idea that you were the typical childless 22-28 year old student. If you have a family, the suburban feel and isolated location might not be such negatives, and the increased space is definitely a plus. Still, an hour commute is not my cup of tea.

mylifeis24

Bronze

Post by mylifeis24 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:44 am

Anyone have a link to the RSVP site for ASD? All the links on the admitted students site keep bringing me to the generic prospective students page.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

neprep

Silver

Post by neprep » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:10 am

mylifeis24 wrote:Anyone have a link to the RSVP site for ASD? All the links on the admitted students site keep bringing me to the generic prospective students page.
Just hit "logoff" and then login again. The system logs you out automatically every n minutes because of the personal information that's on the page.

mylifeis24

Bronze

Post by mylifeis24 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:06 pm

neprep wrote:
mylifeis24 wrote:Anyone have a link to the RSVP site for ASD? All the links on the admitted students site keep bringing me to the generic prospective students page.
Just hit "logoff" and then login again. The system logs you out automatically every n minutes because of the personal information that's on the page.
Ahhh there it is. Thanks!

mindarmed

Silver

Post by mindarmed » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:09 pm

Lived in NYC entire life (except for college). Feel free to PM about housing, questions about NYC in general, etc. My advice on housing if you don't want to live in dorms is to live in Harlem on the ABCD line, 20 mins or so from campus.

e: Max that map is completely wrong I live above the park and I am able to get to NYU in 22 minutes door to door.

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:52 pm

Last edited by 03152016 on Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

NYC-WVU

Bronze

Post by NYC-WVU » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:40 pm

Max324 wrote:
mindarmed wrote:Lived in NYC entire life (except for college). Feel free to PM about housing, questions about NYC in general, etc. My advice on housing if you don't want to live in dorms is to live in Harlem on the ABCD line, 20 mins or so from campus.

e: Max that map is completely wrong I live above the park and I am able to get to NYU in 22 minutes door to door.
That doesn't make the map completely wrong. It's an estimate based off MTA's subway schedules and a 3 MPH walking speed. It's not 100% accurate, but fairly close in my experience.

I do the commute from uptown to the NYU area a few times a week (including today -- I'm in the Village now, just came from E 75th). Depending on where on the UES/UWS I am, it takes me 20 to 25 minutes to get to NYU, but that assumes I'm near the station and I catch the train at the platform. Considering I usually have a few blocks to walk and end up waiting 3 or 4 minutes on the platform, I almost always allot a half hour, which is what the map shows.
The selected location seems to be around 7th ave and 14th street. Perhaps the map is taking the L one stop and then transferring to 4,5,6, which I assume isn't what you would do. Those maps are amazing. Though the crime map is misleading for Manhattan and downtown Brooklyn. Crime per resident in these commercial (but also residential) areas will be highly inflated, since they are dominated by non-resident day-time occupants.

stickershocked

New

Post by stickershocked » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:26 pm

Anybody know if you can sign up for on-campus housing and then turn it down later? I'm getting a little discouraged looking at the housing stock for 0/1br anywhere (I know it's early), and would like to have options.

jingosaur

Gold

Post by jingosaur » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:30 pm

stickershocked wrote:Anybody know if you can sign up for on-campus housing and then turn it down later? I'm getting a little discouraged looking at the housing stock for 0/1br anywhere (I know it's early), and would like to have options.
If you're ED you should call the school and ask about that. They probably have better advice than us.

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:48 pm

Hi guys, checking in. Not sure if this was asked/answered earlier, but do they assist with travel/other costs for students coming across the country for ASW?

In other news, it's 82 degrees here in sunny socal.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rule615

New

Post by rule615 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:36 pm

Checking in, got the call today.

SonlenNightfall

New

Post by SonlenNightfall » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:42 pm

Checking in, got the call today. Now that the stress of applying is over, I am starting to feel the stress related to housing costs of NYC.

So does anyone have a small closet I can rent for the next three years?

Swimp

Bronze

Post by Swimp » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:30 pm

stickershocked wrote:Anybody know if you can sign up for on-campus housing and then turn it down later? I'm getting a little discouraged looking at the housing stock for 0/1br anywhere (I know it's early), and would like to have options.
If you apply for housing and they offer you a spot, you're not obligated to accept it.

kenwash

Bronze

Post by kenwash » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:35 pm

Checking in. Congrats everyone!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”