NYU Class of 2017 - Basically graduated Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
koalacity

Silver

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Post by koalacity » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:54 pm

Still haven't gotten an email from a current student or from alumni...

drawstring

Gold

Post by drawstring » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:40 pm

Probably having trouble finding someone awesome enough for you

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:13 pm

drawstring wrote:Probably having trouble finding someone awesome enough for you
TITCR

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:41 am

Have to say that I'm impressed with NYU's retention efforts. So far I've received:

1 invite to a cocktail reception
1 phone call from a current student
2 emails from current students
1 email from faculty
2 pizza boxes

t14splitter

Bronze

Post by t14splitter » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:44 am

t-14orbust wrote:Have to say that I'm impressed with NYU's retention efforts. So far I've received:

1 email from faculty
2 pizza boxes
I'm up to 4 total emails (3 students, 1 professor), 1 pizza box, and an invite to call a student. I guess NYU doesn't believe in playing hard to get.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:47 am

t-14orbust wrote:Have to say that I'm impressed with NYU's retention efforts. So far I've received:

1 email from faculty
2 pizza boxes
My list is slightly different, but similar. So echoing the comments above. They're building some definite goodwill.

fivestarfolds

Silver

Post by fivestarfolds » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:43 pm

lawschool22 wrote:

1 email from faculty
2 pizza boxes
My list is slightly different, but similar. So echoing the comments above. They're building some definite goodwill.
Maybe it's because Columbia is gonna throw down at the end of the week.

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:06 pm

fivestarfolds wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:

1 email from faculty
2 pizza boxes
Lol, they got the inside scoop from their CLS spy.

paglababa

Silver

Post by paglababa » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:11 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
fivestarfolds wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:

1 email from faculty
2 pizza boxes
Lol, they got the inside scoop from their CLS spy.
I have no problem with an all out bidding war btwn NYU and CLS for my love.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:14 pm

paglababa wrote:
I have no problem with an all out bidding war btwn NYU and CLS for my love.
Ha nor do I. Let's just hope they bid with their pocketbooks and not their sticky notes.

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:34 pm

Has anyone heard of any more scholarship invites going out recently?

paglababa

Silver

Post by paglababa » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:37 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:Has anyone heard of any more scholarship invites going out recently?
Any more? There have been some scholarship invites already? I was under the impression they don't go out until late Feb/ March?

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:45 pm

paglababa wrote:
Nonconsecutive wrote:Has anyone heard of any more scholarship invites going out recently?
Any more? There have been some scholarship invites already? I was under the impression they don't go out until late Feb/ March?
In the NYU thread nothingtosee said that D'Agostino Scholarship invites had been sent out on January 16th.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

gingerspice

New

Post by gingerspice » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:37 pm

koalacity wrote:Still haven't gotten an email from a current student or from alumni...
Same... apparently I'm not cool enough to be invited to the cocktail party in my city :(

kershka

Silver

Post by kershka » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:37 pm

1 email from faculty
2 pizza boxes
I used to think that NYU loved me....now I'm wondering why I wasn't invited to a cocktail party :(

:wink:
IDK about scholarships, but I received another NYU financial aid email this morning. Still trying to hustle up that parental information so that I can submit Need Access.

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:05 pm

kershka wrote:IDK about scholarships, but I received another NYU financial aid email this morning. Still trying to hustle up that parental information so that I can submit Need Access.
Ditto, but I've resigned myself to not knowing about aid for awhile, tax information isn't going to come my way easily from the parents.

koalacity

Silver

Post by koalacity » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:35 pm

So I got an email from a professor at NYU today, yay!

However...the email was very focused on discussing aspects to NYU's curriculum that aren't at all related to my interests/what my PS was about, which was somewhat surprising. Anyone else receive a faculty email like this?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:41 pm

koalacity wrote:So I got an email from a professor at NYU today, yay!

However...the email was very focused on discussing aspects to NYU's curriculum that aren't at all related to my interests/what my PS was about, which was somewhat surprising. Anyone else receive a faculty email like this?
Mine wasn't about my PS, but my PS wasn't specific to law at all. The email was in line with what I asked Dean Morrison about, although there was a lot of other information included as well. It was a lengthy email and it seemed like the prof may have been trying to cover all the bases, or (more likely) it was a sort of standard response for the most part.

drawstring

Gold

Post by drawstring » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:46 pm

koalacity wrote:So I got an email from a professor at NYU today, yay!

From Arlen? I got one from her but I didn't have anything in my application related to it.

cway

Bronze

Post by cway » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:20 pm

Did you guys get a financial aid email today? It seemed to indicate that the way to get merit aid that's not associated with a named scholarship is to email them and let them know that you won't be filling out Need Access (if that's the case, sigh, who gives a shit what my parents make? topic for another day) and tell them you'd like to only be considered for merit aid. Am I reading it correctly? It seems like we should do something more official than shooting them an email...

"As you may know, NYU uses the Need Access financial aid application to determine financial need and/or scholarship eligibility. We encourage you to complete the Need Access application so that we can determine your eligibility for all available NYU School of Law scholarships, merit awards, and/or need based grants. The application form is available on-line at http://www.needaccess.org/Home.aspx. If you only want to be considered for NYU School of Law merit based aid and will not be completing the Need Access financial aid application, please contact our office at law.finaid@nyu.edu. Students who elect not to provide parental information on the Need Access application will be considered for merit based scholarship awards only."

kershka

Silver

Post by kershka » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:26 pm

cway wrote:Did you guys get a financial aid email today? It seemed to indicate that the way to get merit aid that's not associated with a named scholarship is to email them and let them know that you won't be filling out Need Access (if that's the case, sigh, who gives a shit what my parents make? topic for another day) and tell them you'd like to only be considered for merit aid. Am I reading it correctly? It seems like we should do something more official than shooting them an email...

"As you may know, NYU uses the Need Access financial aid application to determine financial need and/or scholarship eligibility. We encourage you to complete the Need Access application so that we can determine your eligibility for all available NYU School of Law scholarships, merit awards, and/or need based grants. The application form is available on-line at http://www.needaccess.org/Home.aspx. If you only want to be considered for NYU School of Law merit based aid and will not be completing the Need Access financial aid application, please contact our office at law.finaid@nyu.edu. Students who elect not to provide parental information on the Need Access application will be considered for merit based scholarship awards only."
That's not how I read it. Everyone is considered for merit aid just by virtue of being admitted, even those who didn't apply for a named scholarship or who also applies for need-based aid. They just are saying if you want to be considered for need-based aid as well, then you need to fill out Need Access and include parental information. Any student who does not submit parental information will only be considered for merit aid.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:55 pm

kershka wrote:
cway wrote:Did you guys get a financial aid email today? It seemed to indicate that the way to get merit aid that's not associated with a named scholarship is to email them and let them know that you won't be filling out Need Access (if that's the case, sigh, who gives a shit what my parents make? topic for another day) and tell them you'd like to only be considered for merit aid. Am I reading it correctly? It seems like we should do something more official than shooting them an email...

That's not how I read it. Everyone is considered for merit aid just by virtue of being admitted, even those who didn't apply for a named scholarship or who also applies for need-based aid. They just are saying if you want to be considered for need-based aid as well, then you need to fill out Need Access and include parental information. Any student who does not submit parental information will only be considered for merit aid.
This, and you need to specifically inform them you want merit-based only. There's some anecdotal evidence that if you apply for both, and you have an EFC of more than $15k or so, you're better off doing merit-only, because they may reduce your merit offer slightly if they see you have substantial means.

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:57 pm

lawschool22 wrote:This, and you need to specifically inform them you want merit-based only. There's some anecdotal evidence that if you apply for both, and you have an EFC of more than $15k or so, you're better off doing merit-only, because they may reduce your merit offer slightly if they see you have substantial means.
Wow, thanks for sharing that. By EFC, I'm guessing you mean the FAFSA?

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:03 am

Nonconsecutive wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:This, and you need to specifically inform them you want merit-based only. There's some anecdotal evidence that if you apply for both, and you have an EFC of more than $15k or so, you're better off doing merit-only, because they may reduce your merit offer slightly if they see you have substantial means.
Yep. Calc that before submitting your need access. Now remember there's no hard evidence on this, I have just heard this from several posters' experiences in PM conversations. It makes sense, but please think about it before you do it. I doubted I would get need-based aid, so I'll probably do merit only.
Last edited by lawschool22 on Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:05 am

lawschool22 wrote:
Nonconsecutive wrote:
Yep. Calc that before submitting your need access.
If I have an EFC of 15k+ I will crap myself. :lol: Either way thanks for the heads up.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”